Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Lmao Nomura must feel like he can never make two characters look similar without touching off an avalanche of theorizing. Should have given him purple hair and three eyes if you didn't want us to think it was Sephiroth!

Also, I'm very on board with the idea that #2 will be in this game as a candidate who succumbs to Jenova's influence during the course of training. I'm still not sure how the story is going to be presented, though, if at all. Anyone ever played a battle royale with more exposition than the intro cinematic?

Edit: Guess the new interview answers that....

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Nomura has been chiming in throughout the livestream as a voiceover. He addresses the "Sephiroth-like" character in the new trailer we've been speculating about.

"We saw some observations if he's THAT character [Sephiroth], but no, he's just a random character."

Knew it :monster:

edit: Also, controller support is good news. Probably gonna try this on PC via Android emulator or something :monster:

Last edited:
Despite previous comments about story not being a focus in TFS I was still holding out a tiny bit of hope for something that may be titled "story mode". But from Tetsuya Nomura himself, "There is no story mode". In line with earlier impressions, Nomura seems to be saying (untranslated) that any stories that will fit the timeline-window of TFS will be used for Ever Crisis instead. Is this what you meant @Ultimasamune about three "TFS" characters being named? The stream talks about a trio of named characters that will be fitted for an Ever Crisis(?) story but I don't have the full context/translation for what is being said by Nomura here.

I will now promptly delete all hopes for even tiny lore dumps or juicy lore-related artwork being unlocked in TFS. A waste, really. Square could have broken the mold by making a Battle Royale with story elements.

At least it's good to hear that more game modes are planned other than Battle Royale.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Despite previous comments about story not being a focus in TFS I was still holding out a tiny bit of hope for something that may be titled "story mode". But from Tetsuya Nomura himself, "There is no story mode". In line with earlier impressions, Nomura seems to be saying (untranslated) that any stories that will fit the timeline-window of TFS will be used for Ever Crisis instead. Is this what you meant @Ultimasamune about three "TFS" characters being named? The stream talks about a trio of named characters that will be fitted for an Ever Crisis(?) story but I don't have the full context/translation for what is being said by Nomura here.

I will now promptly delete all hopes for even tiny lore dumps or juicy lore-related artwork being unlocked in TFS. A waste, really. Square could have broken the mold by making a Battle Royale with story elements.

At least it's good to hear that more game modes are planned other than Battle Royale.
Yep, he says the three SOLDIERs we see jumping out of the helicopter will be named (i.e., significant, non-throwaway) characters whose stories are covered in Ever Crisis. Makes me wonder what other totally new content will get dropped in that game.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I wonder if Nomura realized how silly a turtleneck was as a military uniform, which is why they're wearing Jackets over them now. Zack and Cloud are staring to become relics of older design philosophies lol.
I wonder if we're going to get any glimpse of in-universe explanation why SOLDIER uniform has been redesigned. Probably not, but I mean... it just blows my mind how different the designes are. The sleeveless turtlenecks were impractical, but I loved them :(

Thanks for sharing the link! The interpreter has such a lovely voice ^_^

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Keyart:

FAw-KQTUUAIg8bk

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The most story you're going to get out of this game are from it's key arts, maybe some contextual clues from special events held within it, and just the visuals used to give us a feel of what this game's environment and setting are.

But that's fine, because we'll hopefully get Ever Crisis soon. I'm really curious to see what Sephiroth's past beginnings in SOLDIER were like.

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of Ever Crisis, was it ever said in what order they would release the story? Will it go chronologically and start with First Soldier content or will it focus on another Compilation entry first?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I remember them talking about that though, at least for the first chapters, then we don't really know how it'll increment.

Thenir

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nirnaeth
It has been talked about. They are releasing Chapter 1 of all the titles in Ever Crisis at the same time. So Chapter One of the OG, CC, DC, EC, AC, BC, etc. will all be released at once. Presumably 1st SOLDIER too then.
Really? It sounds very confusing, especially for those who never played a FF7 game before.

Last edited:

waw

Pro Adventurer
All I recall is that FF7 OG was 10 chapters. I'm not sure what the release order will actually be. My understanding is that we can probably bring characters from different eras into new stories as we unlock them in some manner. (similar to Record Keeper I'm assuming). I'm not sure on this as I think the weapons are the gacha and not the characters....

Nomura had said there would be Sephiroth backstory, his early days, and that seemed to line up with First Soldier as he also said the FS storyline would be here too buuut I'm not sure they're the same thing.

Ever Crisis could be the biggest and best thing they ever produced. I was working on a fangame that combined the stories of BC, CC, FF7, AC and DC into one old-school-styled FF game but completely haulted with EC being announced as it's kind of doing the same thing. That game I have really high hopes for.

I think FS will just be a passing fancy that I won't stick with for long. I'll probably make a character that I like a lot and then get said they aren't canon XD But I hope that story and other details get released in the next Ultimania.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
I distinctly remember an interview with Nomura where he said each compilation game will have it's own chapter (with sub-chapters). I can't find that interview but maybe that was where the interpretation that they would release in parallel came from. I do have the interview where he says the first chunk of FFVII's chapter will be 3 of 10 subchapters. Considering they've already shown Crisis Core footage, maybe we will be getting simultaneous or at least nonlinear sequential releases. I'm close to wrapping up the story playback translations of the 2005 Ultimania Omega and it will be really fun to see how relevant it remains with this new "interpretation." I was saying yesterday it looks like they've already begun to make the new English translation more accurate, with Sephiroth's line in Reactor 1 containing the "Open your eyes" activation phrase he used later in the game.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Yes, I'm very curious if we'll see anything from Remake in there, even if it's later releases. In some ways, doing FF7 with no Whispers will be strange.

Maybe there'll be an internal storyline to EC where you're playing one of the Three Main Whispers and figuring out how time is "supposed" to go.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
My feeling is that EC will continue the story after DoC. And go into how exactly Sephiroth, Aerith and whoever else came back in time. So EC would be like "timeline before fate was killed" and Remake would be "timline after fate was killed". There doesn't need to be some in-game reason that we are getting re-releases of all this stuff.

Ever Crisis was billed as "what if we did an *actual* Remake that kept the plot of the OG the same" after all.

Top Bottom