Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster [PS3/PS4/Vita]

Lex

Administrator
I just thought it was neat. I remember being like "d'aww they're all like brothers and sisters!" and kind of always took Irvine's silence as maybe he was unsure at first then when he realised and the rest of the group didn't have a clue he was like... do I say now? How about now? Is now the right time?

I mean in adulthood/ retrospect yeah, it's very odd. But I didn't experience it that way the first time I played through it so the original memory of not understanding/caring about the absurdity of it, or even knowing what a plot device was stays with me XD. I just really enjoy that all the main characters have this thing that bonds them for life, and it does a good job of pushing Rinoa's feelings of alienation from the gang further. They share this specialness that she can't really match or touch... until later.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Final Fantasy is full of absurd plot points though

FF6 - The Opera is a great metaphor and one of the best sscenes in the game... But its a big lipped alligator moment and you know it.

FF7- You wanna talk about plot conveniences? Everything having to do with JENOVA is basically "it can do this cause we said so."

FFX - That laughing scene.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
FF6 - The Opera is a great metaphor and one of the best sscenes in the game... But its a big lipped alligator moment and you know it.

Not...really. It's kind of an indirect way to get an airship, sure. But the requirements of that 'trope' is that it's completely out of line with the context of the wider narrative, and is never spoken of again. I can't remember whether it's explicitly mentioned again, but it is referenced numerous times throughout that game. Not the least of which is Celes' Theme.

FF7- You wanna talk about plot conveniences? Everything having to do with JENOVA is basically "it can do this cause we said so."

I mean, I guess. But Jenova is established as mysterious pretty early on. She's originally described as an Ancient but the game calls that into to question pretty soon. And you're still not dropped a new ability of heres COMPLETELY inconsistent with the others and is seemingly used to explain something that didn't even really need explaining the way VIII's memory thing is.

FFX - That laughing scene.

:prefacepalm:
Now you're just trying to troll us.

Not that I'm saying those stories are flawless, you'll find contrivances everywhere. Why does Sephiroth take the cargo ship across the ocean when he can clearly fly, for instance? That part of VIII's plot is just clumsily handled and it's noticeably so.

Lex

Administrator
Fuck-this-Im-so-done-mary-poppins.png

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
To clarify my argument is not that these things make the plot bad but that while they themselves are clumsy they don't detract noticeably from the story. Shit the opera scene is praised as one of the greatest things in gaming and rightly so.

Except the laughing scene, I'll admit i was having a laugh there...

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
* Phoenix Down *

Been continuing my playthrough of the game every now and again and I have finally reached the Calm Lands. I'm not sure where exactly the tipping point was, but I now feel like I have fully bonded with the group. And as annoying as Tidus can be, I really love moments like this that show just how bonded the group are within themselves:

Tidus: Aaaagh!
Yuna: I won't leave Kimahri behind!
Auron: He is a Guardian. Protecting you is everything.
Yuna: Auron!
Tidus: That's right! We're all Guardians! Yeah, and you know what that means? Yuna ... anywhere you go, I'll follow!
Yuna: Anywhere I go?
Tidus: Yeah, anywhere!
Yuna: Well then ...
Tidus & Yuna: Let's go!

Lulu's smile while stating that she'll go too, and then Auron's laugh, really seals the scene.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
There is something quite intrinsically painful in forcing Yuna to call her Aeons to battle with the soul purpose of defeating them. That really depressive final game component has always been a lasting memory of X, and that still hasn't changed. It is absolutely gut-wrenching, punctuated my Yuna's expression on every final calling. *Sniff*

And so I come to the end of my HD Remaster playthrough.

However, my attitude to Tidus still hasn't changed. I still find that he is an annoyance that the game could have done without. I just hate the audience surrogate concept that is completely wrapped around him. And I never enjoyed his personal story or 'dream' concept. I'd be far happier if Yuna had been front and center of the whole thing.

No Tidus, this isn't YOUR story! Stop saying that! Damnit! >_>

Did get quite emotional when Yuna runs right through him and falls to the floor. After everything she has been through that was just too much.

Really enjoyed it. Now I need to summon the courage to start through X-2. Oh for the love of God...

RedFFWolf

Donator
^ Fear not!

For whatever FFX-2 lacks in story and class in comparison to FFX, it makes up for in a very engaging battle system :)
And the Fiend Arena is quite enjoyable!

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Lol, yep the battle system is the one thing that I am really looking forward to. Never tested out the Fiend Arena before, so might give that I try to.

But all this has to take a back seat. Need to do a mighty catch up for the VII Community Playthrough!

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I will be the first to admit that X-2 does get a little weird. That being said it was a blast to play, so if the oddball plot doesn't put you off you will have a lot of fun.

Lex

Administrator
That is fucking brilliant. OMG it's actually beautiful XD. I can't stop listening to it.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Wow, no kidding, that's one I would not have expected an acapella version of. Great find!

Lex

Administrator
This YouTube comment absolutely cracked me up. Contains story spoilers so beware:

Final Fantasy X is about a bloke who doesn't exist being sent through time to fight a whale that's really his dad.

Lex

Administrator
His cat does appear more often than not. I have a bit of a crush on this dude tbh, I think it's the fact that he has such a metal look but a voice like an angel.

RedFFWolf

Donator
That intro!
A beautiful piece.

I never appreciated this song as much as I used to until my most recent playthrough.

I decided to watch the original song after that video, and came across the lyrics on the FFWiki site - interesting to compare the Japanese and International variations (if they are accurate) http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/1000_Words

Top Bottom