Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster [PS3/PS4/Vita]

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I don't like the laughing scene, although I get the importance of it and why it's relevant to the plot. I used to cringe every time I watched it, but now I just roll my eyes and smirk because I've come to understand it as I've grown older.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I guess I'm a rare type because the laughing scene never bothered me as a kid because even then I knew it was a facade.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I just thought it was cute in a two people bonding by goofing around a bit sort of way.

Y'know, everyone else is cringing but to them it's the funniest thing ever because they're in on the joke or something.

There are much worse instances when it comes to Final Fantasy and awkward voice acting. Like Cloud....in....Dissidia...or the way Genesis' sentences always carry this breathy, boring droll with them.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I just thought it was cute in a two people bonding by goofing around a bit sort of way.

Y'know, everyone else is cringing but to them it's the funniest thing ever because they're in on the joke or something.

There are much worse instances when it comes to Final Fantasy and awkward voice acting. Like Cloud....in....Dissidia...or the way Genesis' sentences always carry this breathy, boring droll with them.

You blame those on characterization really.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Lex: THANK YOU. SOMEBODY ELSE UNDERSTANDS MY OBSESSION!

And I agree that the scene is over-quoted and does have important relevance to the plot. That said, a bad plot point relevant to the plot is still relevant because it exists. I understand the Japanese love of humor from the incredibly awkward (anybody who has read Azumanga Daioh is VERY familiar with this concept).

But I argue, is it essential? For one thing, yes that's kind of cute. I get the emotional motives behind the scene. I get the whole "being forced to put on a happy face because you are who you are". That's a very deep concept which, frankly, I felt deserved more dignity than a forced laughing sequence.

But even ignoring that, let's say the scene is fine as is. If your argument is that it is intentionally annoying then people being annoyed by it should mean that the scene has done its job well. It's no different than ASOIAF fans wanting Joffrey or Ramsey Bolton to die horribly.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Wanting a character to die horribly is different, though. People don't say that Game of Thrones sucks because Joffrey and Ramsay are bad people. You watch because you are hoping for the payoff that they really will die horribly.

Unless you mean the show wants you to hate them and does a good job of it, then yes. :)

It's kind of like The Office. That show wants you to feel awkward when you watch it.

Lex

Administrator
My argument really wasn't touching on whether or not the scene could have been done better, I was just explaining the reason it's annoying that it gets constantly mentioned. It's just misrepresented everywhere.

And for the record I think if you micro-analyse every scene in everything ever made there are very few where you won't find things that could have been done better. I don't really examine media that way. If I did it's very unlikely I'd be a Final Fantasy fan XD.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Tennyo: All I have to say is:

tumblr_mkcvdoU87X1s9ney2o1_500.png

Lex:

1) True... frankly Final Fantasy tells amazing stories but it doesn't do a good job telling those stories if that makes any sense. Even in some of the best told stories in the series, (i.e. Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy XIII (shut up the game sucked the characters sucked but the story was amazing)) there are a lot of dialogue scenes that irk me.

My favorite final fantasy of all time is Final Fantasy VIII even though I know it is in no way the best. My favorite scene in that game is, I think, every fan's favorite scene. It's the love scene on the long bridge. It's just Squall talking to himself. But still there are some bits of dialogue that sound a little too forced.

I guess I better rub alcohol on my hands and feet so I don't get an infection when you all crucify me.

2) Also Lex: YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Let's be real. It'll probably just be a betting simulator. But if you can actually form teams and have games in the world then Hell To The Fuck Yes.

Lex

Administrator
My favorite final fantasy of all time is Final Fantasy VIII even though I know it is in no way the best. My favorite scene in that game is, I think, every fan's favorite scene. It's the love scene on the long bridge. It's just Squall talking to himself. But still there are some bits of dialogue that sound a little too forced.

My favourite scene in FFVIII is the one that everybody hates :P. My favourite FF scene of all time is at the end of the lifestream sequence in FFVII.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Are you saying that my scene was the one that everybody generally hates, or are you saying you hate a scene that everybody hates...

hmm... The "I don't want to be spoken of in past tense" scene? A lot of people didn't care for that but I rather like it.

If not, what was it?

And yes, The Lifestream sequence was amazing. Dat music...

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
This plays during Squall's rallying cry during the Garden fight and during Squalls rescue of Rinoa. I'm assuming you are referring to the latter but neither scene bothered me any.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes

This theme still gives me chills. Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to hear it fully in the game, but for now, just finished the Djose temple and grabbed Ixion. I (genuinely) smiled and laughed at the 'Yuna hair' teasing scene. Now on route to the Moonflow.

Lex

Administrator
This plays during Squall's rallying cry during the Garden fight and during Squalls rescue of Rinoa. I'm assuming you are referring to the latter but neither scene bothered me any.

Pahahaha, I misremembered the song playing during the scene I'm talking about. I was actually talking about the Orphanage scene in the basketball court. For some reason I thought it was "The Oath" that plays at the end when it snows, but it's not. I need to play FFVIII again :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
"Tell Me": one of the best tracks in the game.

Lex

Administrator
I like it too, but yeah everybody hates that scene and it's one of my all time favourites. I have no shame.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Pahahaha, I misremembered the song playing during the scene I'm talking about. I was actually talking about the Orphanage scene in the basketball court. For some reason I thought it was "The Oath" that plays at the end when it snows, but it's not. I need to play FFVIII again :monster:

Is this the scene where they all realized their summons made them forget their childhood?

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Do people really have a problem with that scene? I thought the problem was with the whole memory loss plot device. That's certainly more of an issue for me, anyway.

Lex

Administrator
I was 9/10 years old when I played FFVIII, so I had no problem with it XD. The scene still nostalgia's me right out.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I don't get how that's necessarily a bad plot device, apart from the fact that it's poorly explained. Yes, people keep asking about shit like "why don't they forget new things?" but come on now, it's early childhood.

Here's my interpretation:

GF represents the onset of adult. Taking on guardian forces equates to taking on responsibilities as one does when one is becoming an adult. As you grow you begin to forget about what it was like to be a child and conversely when you do recall those moments they become more precious to you.

A weak plot device? I don't think so. Just one that wasn't utilized well.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The problem is that it is, first, insufficiently foreshadowed, and therefore feels like an asspull. Two optional references, that I'm aware of. And both just mentions of "GF critics," rather than showing an experienced GF user have a spotty memory or something. Or even the heroes noticing other issues beforehand. Secondly, the fact that all of them from the orphanage just happen to all gather in the same strike team is awfully coincidental. I know Cid might have had some hand in it, but Irvine was at a completely different Garden. And thirdly, speaking of Irvine, it's ridiculous that he never mentions it before. Not even by accident when he first sees all the people he grew up with? Why?

It's not unforgiveable, but it's representative of VIII's kind of haphazard storytelling and oddly-behaving characters. Which I think is what turns people off of it.

And...finally, I don't even understand why that reveal even exists. My memory might be wrong here, but speaking in terms of the plot, isn't it only important that Squall, Ellone, and Edea were at the orphanage? What does the story gain by having all of them grow up there?

Top Bottom