Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

So I finally got around to playing ZA after it came to PC and, man, I'd forgotten how much I liked XII. I was super excited for its release and it's so nice to see it vindicated by history. It was definitely ahead of its time, but I feel Zodiac Age really brings out its full potential -- it's like a wishlist of things I wanted in there when I first played through the game. Controlling espers! Job system! Unlocked Gambits! And so on.

It also has by far my favourite incarnation of a "world map" in FF. Sacrilege to choose it over the classic style, I guess? But even so, the crazy amount of ways you can go off the beaten track in the early stages of the game and the unique personality of each area is just...*chef's kiss*. And the ability to access so many challenging areas and bosses early is so cool. It also has a sense of scale no other FF (that I've played, anyway) has really captured. Ivalice might be one of the only FF settings to actually feel like it occupies a world close in size to our own.

Gotta say, though, that the viera are still embarrassing garbage, and Fran might be the worst of 'em. Turns out, slapping a playboy bunny skin over them doesn't make boring elf tropes any more exciting. At least the Cleyrans were fun about living in a tree.

Also, XII moogles best moogles. Should've used them instead of the lallafel for XIV -- while I'm on the subject of embarrassing garbage! :awesome:

Wol

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dawn Warrior
So I finally got around to playing ZA after it came to PC and, man, I'd forgotten how much I liked XII. I was super excited for its release and it's so nice to see it vindicated by history. It was definitely ahead of its time, but I feel Zodiac Age really brings out its full potential -- it's like a wishlist of things I wanted in there when I first played through the game. Controlling espers! Job system! Unlocked Gambits! And so on.

It also has by far my favourite incarnation of a "world map" in FF. Sacrilege to choose it over the classic style, I guess? But even so, the crazy amount of ways you can go off the beaten track in the early stages of the game and the unique personality of each area is just...*chef's kiss*. And the ability to access so many challenging areas and bosses early is so cool. It also has a sense of scale no other FF (that I've played, anyway) has really captured. Ivalice might be one of the only FF settings to actually feel like it occupies a world close in size to our own.

Gotta say, though, that the viera are still embarrassing garbage, and Fran might be the worst of 'em. Turns out, slapping a playboy bunny skin over them doesn't make boring elf tropes any more exciting. At least the Cleyrans were fun about living in a tree.

Also, XII moogles best moogles. Should've used them instead of the lallafel for XIV -- while I'm on the subject of embarrassing garbage! :awesome:
You had me there until the Vieras are garbage bit.

Torrie

straight out of the fairyland
Soooo I've finally installed FFXIIZA on my PC and I'm going to give it a shot very soon. Have never played it before, started watching someone's playthrough some time ago but gave it up pretty quickly because it was a little too boring to simply witness this game without being involved. So I hope to be commenting on it a bit as I play, starting within the following month.

Top Bottom