Final Fantasy XII

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I reckon ultima espio referred to the quality of the models etc more than the resolution.

But yeah, don't expect anything fancy or additional story material for a remaster. Redone music and increased polygon counts and texture quality like FFX at most I'd say (although that's plenty in addition to the job system shenanigans.

Flintlock said:
Yeah, that statement didn't really clear anything up. If the term "remake" was used in error, what would the correct term have been?

Remaster/Enhanced port, of course. :monster:

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i think ffxii is up there with silent hill 3 (personal bias) as a game whose graphics and textures would still hold up now even if it couldn't be fully realised on the ps2

which is why a remaster should happen quickly :sadpanda:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Blargh, I read the news earlier today and haven't had a chance to post.

I guess with the excitement of being at Comic Con my hopes just went through the roof, especially since I saw a lot more Final Fantasy merch there this year.

I'm sure a remake/remaster will happen eventually. In retrospect, this news did kind of come straight out of the blue.

Fangu

Great Old One
I reckon ultima espio referred to the quality of the models etc more than the resolution.
But the pre-rendered models are very different from the in-game rendered models. So different there'll still be a clear distinction between the two. When it comes to quality, the in-game models are actually of a higher quality than the pre-rendered.

Most fans of the game prefer the in-game models, probably because they're the ones you see most of the time.

Edit: Compare this Basch to the one above:

tumblr_n5l0apHxp81siiz3so1_1280.png

This is Basch.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
the in-game models are actually of a higher quality than the pre-rendered.

The prerendered ones have a much higher polygon count, higher resolution textures, better clothing and hair physics etc.
The only thing they got going against them is the plasticy faces but objectively they are higher quality.

Fangu

Great Old One
Even if that should be the case, I still prefer the in-game models. The scenes with them seem much more animated somehow, and also much more realistic.

Nevertheless, Final Fantasy XII HD Remaster will look amazing. There was so much detail put into the game that the PS2 never did it justice. It's going to look fantastic :joy:

Lex

Administrator
I sent this screenie to Fangu when I first got this PC.

uzy3pqK.jpg

It looks amazing in HD. (Right click open in new tab for full effect - then spend time noticing all the things you never noticed before because the game is better than the PS2 could show you).

Joe emulated it too and he was like... isn't his jacket like metal? Did it always move?

The stuff you notice is INSANE.

Fangu

Great Old One
Aye. 'tis beautiful.

Okay now I need to share some pictures I've taken over the period of time I was obsessing heavily over this game. These are some of my most favourite screenshots I've taken so far:

tumblr_n0r84xIbwl1siiz3so1_540.png

tumblr_n3ekhxnClg1siiz3so1_1280.png

(This one is actually a screencap from a video recording on Twitch of one of my streams.)

tumblr_n3y0sl3A9n1siiz3so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3omdxlP3i1siiz3so1_1280.png

tumblr_n3h25ca5mX1siiz3so1_1280.png

tumblr_n3h3oo9KQr1siiz3so3_540.png

tumblr_n3iv9eneWh1siiz3so3_400.png

tumblr_n3h0wg8V4E1siiz3so1_1280.png

tumblr_n3ffph5Ig21siiz3so1_500.png

tumblr_n4nsko7vRc1siiz3so1_540.png

tumblr_n3djei8SOw1siiz3so1_1280.png

tumblr_ne20pojrJj1siiz3so1_400.png
tumblr_ne20pojrJj1siiz3so2_400.png

tumblr_ne0wug3Keq1siiz3so2_540.png

tumblr_ne22akcZcW1siiz3so1_540.png

tumblr_n5l0quj7xX1siiz3so1_500.png

I have a bunch of these on my Tumblr blog, tagged 'xii screencaps' (link). My favourite post is probably the one that shows the different weapons you use in the game as items to buy in Amal's weaponry. (Here's the post with the hi-res pictures.)

Fangu

Great Old One
He's not really super rude, he just said something during his video that made me frown :lol: And no, that's not him. ema non is Japanese.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer

But yeah, don't expect anything fancy or additional story material for a remaster. Redone music and increased polygon counts and texture quality like FFX at most I'd say (although that's plenty in addition to the job system shenanigans.

Flintlock said:
Yeah, that statement didn't really clear anything up. If the term "remake" was used in error, what would the correct term have been?

Remaster/Enhanced port, of course. :monster:

I feel the models arguably had less detail than the in game renders. There's less grit, skin details, etc.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I have a Final Fantasy XII problem.

It's not a problem with the game itself; far from it. It affects me when I play other games - other RPGs, specifically. No matter how good they are, I can't help but notice the things that Final Fantasy XII did better.

It has its flaws, of course (and they just stop me from ranking it above VI or VII), but in terms of gameplay alone, I think it's as close to perfection as any game I've ever played.

That is my confession.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
More quests, more hunts, more locations, more licenses to get, more equipment, more enemies, more mini storylines that add to the plot but aren't seen in a strict story gameplay....MOOOOOOOOORE!
:bigawesomonster:

That international version sounds interesting too; I'm very curious about how it is to play.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I wanna play this game soo bad. I'd like to play the international version though so I'll wait for the remaster(if it happens).

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I haven't played the game but I have seen it on youtube, and, well...the only things I like about it is both Princess Ashe and the soundtrack(the opening movie BGM is my favorite), and, call me crazy, but it sounds more for a Pokemon anime movie.

Ghost X

^When you say you've seen it on youtube, did you watch an entire playthrough, or? FFXII is apparently a love it or hate it game, but I'm in the love it population. I recommend it. There's a few songs in the soundtrack I really like, but yeah, mostly not memorable.

Fangu

Great Old One
Both Freddeh and sk84uhlivin are relearning the game to chase down LetsGetPitted's record. (They say it's for some relay thing. I don't believe them.)

Good times. <3

I'm also considering learning speedrunning strats

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
^When you say you've seen it on youtube, did you watch an entire playthrough, or? FFXII is apparently a love it or hate it game, but I'm in the love it population. I recommend it. There's a few songs in the soundtrack I really like, but yeah, mostly not memorable.

Pretty much watched the entire playthrough. It was a bit boring to me. The soundtrack was amazing, though. Should've been fit for both Pokemon anime movies and Sailor Moon movies, but that's just me.

But why does it need a remake though? It seemed fine to me. Just needs a better battle-gameplay and a better story. I don't see a need for it to have a remake. It's fine as it is. Just do it like they did with the Kingdom Hearts series.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I have no problems with the soundtrack. Fans have said it's not memorable enough, but it's all personal preference. I love every song on the soundtrack--it's all beautifully orchestrated. I don't think very much of it, if any of it, is synthesized in some manner. It almost sounds like it belongs in a movie and not a video game.

As for the game being boring, again, probably a matter of personal preference, but I find XII to be infinitely more enjoyable to play than, say, XIII. I have the freedom to explore most areas and cities whenever I want, which XIII never had. The story has a straightforward plot, but the game itself allows for a lot of sidequesting and exploration along the way.

I'm horribly biased towards this game. Sorry not sorry.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I have no problems with the soundtrack. Fans have said it's not memorable enough, but it's all personal preference. I love every song on the soundtrack--it's all beautifully orchestrated. I don't think very much of it, if any of it, is synthesized in some manner. It almost sounds like it belongs in a movie and not a video game.

I agree with you. It would've go a lot better in a movie than a video game. I personally thought it was more for a Pokemon movie than Final Fantasy myself.

As for the game being boring, again, probably a matter of personal preference, but I find XII to be infinitely more enjoyable to play than, say, XIII. I have the freedom to explore most areas and cities whenever I want, which XIII never had. The story has a straightforward plot, but the game itself allows for a lot of sidequesting and exploration along the way.

I'm horribly biased towards this game. Sorry not sorry.

Anything is better than XIII. They should've made Final Fantasy Type-0 FFXIII instead of the Lightning Trilogy which, I think the third game of that said trilogy is probably the best even though it's not top on the mark.

But I'm not against anyone who likes certain FF games I don't like. Everyone likes different things, and I'm perfectly fine if people like FFXII or not. It's their choices. I'm not against FF at all, to be honest. I prefer FFVII and it's Compilation, FFVIII and FFX.

I'm not saying FFXII is bad. Heck, it's better than FFXIII any day.

Lex

Administrator
Both Freddeh and sk84uhlivin are relearning the game to chase down LetsGetPitted's record. (They say it's for some relay thing. I don't believe them.)

Good times. <3

I'm also considering learning speedrunning strats

Fucking do it!

Top Bottom