Final Fantasy XII

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So I had an original, backwards-compatible PS3 back in the day. It died in 2011 after 5 years of loyal service, and it took quite a few saves with it. One such save was the 40-hour save of FFXII, and the furthest I had ever gotten in the game. As the new PS3s were no longer BC, I figured that was it for that. Now I had a good chunk of my old saves on my PSP for the purposes of showing my games to friends on their PS3s and such. (Most crucially these were my FF13 and Mass Effect 2 saves.)

For some reason, I was being productive today and decided to see if there was a chance of that save being on the PSP. It turns out it was! So then I went on a long odyssey to obtain a PS2 emulator, figure out how to get it working and running my FFXII disc. But of course it couldn't read this save file. So I went on another internet journey downloading a bunch of suspicious programs to try and get it formatted correctly.

And,
8CEuZX8.jpg

:success:

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Huzzah! Post on thy progress as you play if you plan on doing so.

Although I will say waiting five years to save forty hours is a bit of a bizarre trade-off XD

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, well it's not so much that I waited. It was more that I just gave up on it and figured I would give it another attempt in a TLS playthrough or the IZJS.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I guess it's a bit late now, but could you have salvaged the hard drive from your PS3? I know the new models have drives that can be swapped out but I don't know if that was also true of the original, backwards-compatible, "phat" PS3s.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have the hard drive. It sits in a drawer waiting for the day that I can retrieve stuff of it. As it stands it's encrypted and trying to put it into another PS3 only allows me to format it, which would of course be the opposite outcome I'm hoping for...

Now, of course, the vast majority of the stuff on there is very outdated and I have either rebeaten or forgotten anything I didn't recover. ...except for my Xenogears file, that was 30 hours I'd like not to have to repeat again if I could help it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Excellent question :P I believe I'm headed to the Phon Coast to head up to Archades.

Remember 4 or 5 years ago chatting with me on MSN while I grinded in the Sandsea, Tenny? That was this playthrough, hahaha

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Excellent question :P I believe I'm headed to the Phon Coast to head up to Archades.

Remember 4 or 5 years ago chatting with me on MSN while I grinded in the Sandsea, Tenny? That was this playthrough, hahaha

Ah, I love the Phon Coast. Beautiful location. I bet it would look even better in HD. *looks at Square. nudge nudge*

Fangu

Great Old One

Guess you're gonna have to keep grinding, they expect you to be like lvl 40 at the time you reach Archades :wacky:

But congrats on wonderful emu XII, the game looks amazing.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah...That was part of why I gave up when the ps3 died. I had managed to avoid grinding after the Sandsea by virtue of getting the Deathbringer sword earlier than I was "supposed to."

The Phon Coast is where things had started to catch up to me, and I really didn't feel like grinding again

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
The Phon Coast nearly killed my first playthrough. I grinded for hours, then reached the Camp site and had ONE cutscene... made me realise why they decided to put more story into XIII :P

That being said, you can just run through Phon, get to the Orange crystal at the camp, buy Fira and go grind Jellies in the Henne Mines. You get ton of cash from it as well (Yellow Liquids sell for 4-500 something.)

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

I...maybe? This sounds like something that might have happened. :P

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
The Phon Coast nearly killed my first playthrough. I grinded for hours, then reached the Camp site and had ONE cutscene... made me realise why they decided to put more story into XIII :P

That being said, you can just run through Phon, get to the Orange crystal at the camp, buy Fira and go grind Jellies in the Henne Mines. You get ton of cash from it as well (Yellow Liquids sell for 4-500 something.)

If there was anything I farmed for the money, it would be the skeletons and/or zombies. Not only were they easy to rack up chain bonuses, but the loot sold for a damn fortune. :monster:

Case in point:

expensive_undead_by_bowmanmira.jpg

Fangu

Great Old One
Haha, yes, the good ol' Flesh. Personal favourite: Festering Flesh.

Time/ effortwise though, there is not much that beat Jellies at the level Force is at :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
FF12 runners

255ff
Freddeh
sk84uhlivin
Roostalol
zer0skar_i
LetsGetPitted
Nitrodon
YoukaiDragoon

ppl I forgot:
probably some tbh

Last edited:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Happy 10th birthday FFXII!!! :excited:

OHMYGOSH, I can't believe it's been ten years already. It feels like I just got this game yesterday, when I was seventeen and a junior in high school. Boy, how time flies!!

On a more serious note, I know I fangirl about this game with quite a few of you, but along with VII, this game has had the most impact on me out of any in the series. It's gotten me through some pretty hard times, and I'm sure it will continue to do just that even as I get older.

I'm tired as hell from my early shift at work, and I need to get to school. I'm going to be getting my FFXII Facebook page later today though, in celebration. :)

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
^I've actually been considering re-buying a PS2 to play this game later down the line. I keep hearing good things about it, and the graphics remind me of Crisis Core which hits right at home.

Lex

Administrator
Just don't go in expecting a story. It has a story, and its story is just really unique and mature compared to other FF's. And there are very few moments of levity, and the story likes to take large breaks while you spend hours wandering areas. That's kind of the main issues FF fans had with it back when it was released. None of those are really bad things, it's just that if you go in expecting them (as any FF fan would) you'll find yourself a little taken aback by it.

And at this point you might want to wait for a re-release, because we all know it's coming at some point.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Just don't go in expecting a story. It has a story, and its story is just really unique and mature compared to other FF's. And there are very few moments of levity, and the story likes to take large breaks while you spend hours wandering areas. That's kind of the main issues FF fans had with it back when it was released. None of those are really bad things, it's just that if you go in expecting them (as any FF fan would) you'll find yourself a little taken aback by it.

And at this point you might want to wait for a re-release, because we all know it's coming at some point.

Lex is right; there are some points where the game just pulls the drag chute and you're left to wander through these areas without cutscenes to remind you that you may actually have someplace to be. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but for people who are cutscene hoorz, it may pose a problem.

As opposed to XIII, where the party constantly reminded us every 5 minutes about what was happening and where they needed to go. :monster:

But I agree with Lex again; you may want to put off buying it (at least for a little while) to see if SE gives us any news on an HD Remaster or port to the Playstation Network. If they've waited this long to even put the damn thing on the PSN then I strongly suspect a re-release.

But I won't get my hopes up.

Not like last year with the Arnie Roth incident. >_>

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith

It fucking better be coming. :monster:

But I won't get my hopes up.

Not like last year with the Arnie Roth incident. >_>

You're never letting this go, are you? I'll make sure to go to that concert in September and I'll slap him in the face for you. :awesomonster:

NO! I AM NEVER LETTING THE DISTANT WORLDS THING GO! :rage:

At least I won't until I receive that HD Remaster. :awesome:

No, don't slap him. Just tell him you have a friend/acquaintance/thingy that would reeeeeally love it if they could do a show in Atlanta in the future. ;)

Top Bottom