• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
bolding parts relating to XIII-2 lol

A couple of weeks back, Square Enix's "Square Enix Members" fan club and rewards program crossed the million member mark. Square Enix celebrated by sending out producer Shinji Hashimoto and various members of the Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Type-0 staff to retailers for live talk events.

The latest such event was held at Yamada Denki Labi1 in Ikebukuro. As reported at Famitsu.com, Type-0 director Hajime Tabata addressed a fan question on sequels and PlayStation Vita.

Regarding Vita, Tabata said that he's played Type-0 on the system, and the graphics are very pretty. The ability to use the analogue stick for camera control also ups the playability, he said.

Regarding a sequel to Type-0, he said "I want to make a sequel, but... is there demand? (laughs). If we make a sequel, we aren't thinking about having it directly continue the [Type-0] story."

That's not to say that there won't be a direct story sequel to Type-0, though. Tabata recalled that when working on the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII series through Before Crisis FFVII and Crisis Core FFVII, he felt that he wanted to make games that would leave room for future developments after the main title was done. He said that he would like to leave such developments to others, similar to how Yoshinori Kitase and Tetsuya Nomura left the FFVII compilation games to him.

Tabata was joined at the event by Kitase, Final Fantasy XIII-2 director Motomu Toriyama, and, as surprise guests, Type-0 art director Yusuke Naora and XIII-2 art director Isamu Kamikokuryou. Toriyama held a play demonstration for XIII-2 before a general Q&A with the full staff started.

Here's some of what was revealed during the Q&A

Who's everyone's favorite Type-0 character? Tabata's favorite is Izuna. He's a "cool guy," said Tabata. Naroa's favorite character during the story is Eight, although during battle Ace is easy to use, he said. Asked who they think is the strongest character in Type-0, Tabata joked Alesia (she's an NPC). Kitase said that during battle, long-distance fighters like Ace and King are strong. He personally uses Cater.

Will Type-0 school outfits appear in XIII-2 as download content? Kitase said that this is a bit iffy right now, although there is a possibility for it to happen.

Most of the playable Type-0 characters have code names like Ace, Eight, Queen, King and so forth -- names based off cards. Asked if the characters have real names, Tanbata said that they were initially planning on thinking up real names, but stopped. He thinks that code names are more mysterious.

Someone for some reason wanted to know if the students of Type-0 live in a dorm. This is the case, said Tabata. In fact, when the game was in development on cell phones, the students had their own rooms. Naora revealed that they'd actually made visuals for a component where players would be able to enjoy dorm life, but this was cut out due to volume issues.

Some attendees had questions about playing Type-0 on Vita. Asked if the game will be compatible with the UMD Passport program (which lets those with retail copies of games obtain download versions for cheap), Hashimoto said that they're looking into this. Another attendee asked if the game's multiplayer mode will work when played on the Vita. A Sony representative jumped in and assured that this wouldn't be a problem.

Regarding XIII-2, someone asked if party members from FFXIII be made playable through download content? Kitase said they're looking into this. They'd like to do what fans want. They'll be actively sharing DLC details post release. XIII-2 sees release on the 15th.

source: http://andriasang.com/comzb1/square_enix_members_qa/

if type-0 school outfits end up being dlc i will just... i can't even omg

I wish they'd talk about fal'Cie.

:awesome:

I know you are all getting tired and sick of me saying that.

But seriously, I wish they would. And more than just Etro.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
My baser instincts will be satisfied with either. :monster:

Well, there goes whatever confidence I was building in Kitase and Toriyama. They clearly haven't learned a goddamn thing.

I have a very confusing question to ask so … sorry. Right now, do you think Eastern gamers are more accepting of Western games than Western gamers are of Eastern games?
Toriyama: We are in the era of high definition consoles, and graphics are expected to be a lot better and more real, so I think Western gamers in general prefer games with realistic visuals. I think we have always been quite proud of the visuals we have achieved and the high quality of visuals in our works. In that sense, I think Square Enix has always been keeping up with the visual direction the world is wanting, so we have given what Western gamers want, in that extent. Other Oriental publishers may not have achieved that all the time, so that makes me think Western gamers are put off by these games these days.

No, dude, you guys at Square Enix are the ones obssessed with visuals. Western gamers especially are not concerned with you spending three days polishing a single fucking rock.

We're very much satisfied with the visuals in games like "Drake's Deception," "Gears of War 3," "Mass Effect" (any of them), "Red Dead Redemption," "Skyrim" (or anything else from Bethesda) and "God of War III." The visuals aren't as realistic per se in any of these as they were in the FMVs of FFXIII -- but guess what? They're still gorgeous, and every last one of those games is far superior to FFXIII.

So, um, I'm not saying you necessarily need to learn English there, guys, and start perusing the forums of Western gamers or anything (EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULD), but maybe, you know, hire someone who does and ... try actually learning something about your customers?

Does revisiting a previously established Final Fantasy world excite you? Do you have any interest in revisiting, say, Final Fantasy VII over another? In the past, you said that you wanted to make a sequel to XIII because you liked the universe and wanted to expand it. Do you feel the same way about another entry in the series?
Kitase: If we are talking exclusively about VII, we made a film that was intended to be the sequel. At the moment, we have no specific plans for making any sequels to past FF titles. FFVII was made over 10 years ago, and there are lots of fans that love the game. In a way, they have created their own FFVII world individually, so if we were to make a sequel, we would have to be very careful not to disturb fans' own individual picture of that universe. It's a very delicate thing to do. We'd have to tip-toe around it. At the moment, we don't have any plans.

There you have it, folks: they're never going to finish the Compilation of FFVII or do a remake. :monster:

God, these guys are so out of touch. I want to get mad at them, but I'm too embarrassed for them.

I am curious about that giant head in the background of this image, though:

ff2-620x.jpg

A fal'Cie?

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
There you have it, folks: they're never going to finish the Compilation of FFVII.

The problem is everyone assuming it isn't already finished. :monster:

Cliffhanger with G in Dirge be damned - at the beginning it even says that DC is the "final tale". It seems that despite the secret ending they never actually intended to continue the story afterwards and just have it be a silly teaser for a game that actually takes place in the past, as retarded of a concept that is.

Square-Enix sees the Compilation as finished. And so should probably anyone else. :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The problem is everyone assuming it isn't already finished. :monster:

Cliffhanger with G in Dirge be damned - at the beginning it even says that DC is the "final tale". It seems that despite the secret ending they never actually intended to continue the story afterwards and just have it be a silly teaser for a game that actually takes place in the past, as retarded of a concept that is.

Square-Enix sees the Compilation as finished. And so should probably anyone else. :monster:

You may be right. That stuff about FFVII being a 20-year project may have been bullshit all along.

Where was it actually called the "final tale," though? Kitase said in an interview that Dirge wasn't supposed to be the conclusion to the Compilation:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Squall_of_Seed/egm102005.jpg

This was the October 2005 issue of EGM, by the way.

Of course, it still could have been the last actual story they intended to end up doing. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Where was it actually called the "final tale," though? Kitase said in an interview that Dirge wasn't supposed to be the conclusion to the Compilation:

Well, after that short intro movie in DC it said something like "And so the hound weaves the final chapter in this tale of life" iirc.

Well, after that short intro movie in DC it said something like "And so the hound weaves the final chapter in this tale of life" iirc.

I think there is room for the interpretation that it is the final tale in Vincent's story and those involved with him. The Cerberus, i.e. the "hound" imagery is intrinsically linked to him, so I'll remain skeptical that "final chapter" here really means "final chapter in the Compilation". For now, I'm more inclined to assume that it is simply a poorly written, possibly poorly translated, poetic line for the sake of sounding deep (when in fact it isn't).

Though it is true, they have little to no idea where to go from here.
From Famitsu PS3, Vol.17, on ACC:
Most of the staff didn’t want to touch anything FF7 related in the beginning, but Nomura took the lead(and made them into his slaves. And made onigiri for them in Hawaii).
They’re pretty much done with FF7, saying that it’s hard to think of any other important events that might occur in the universe. They still have ideas, but there won’t be any compilation news for a while.

Dengeki PS3, Vol445:
- When asked if he wants to write a sequel to ACC, Nojima says that he’s interested in Cloud’s future, and in AC he’s still in his early 20′s so he can still take the lead role.

Add to this that Nojima has now bothered to write that 338 page novel, "FFVII Lateral Biography TURKS -The Kids Are Alright-". With almost no advertising for this title (which is certainly due to Square not giving their support), I think this shows how desperate Nojima is to get the story going again and he hopes to convince Square that they should go back to FFVII. Cred to Nomura also, for spear-heading ACC and being the only one with the passion to drive the project. So it seems that the only motivated individuals here are Nojima and Nomura.

As for Kitase, well... He is a businessman. He doesn't care about art.

EDIT: See also Crisis Core Complete Guide, p. 296
“Genesis wanted to regain his pride as a SOLDIER, deciding that it could not be found simply in the duty of the SOLDIER, he came to the idea that ‘I am not afraid of degradation or death’. In short, Genesis’ circumstances are that of ‘surmounting death’. Genesis’ strong desire to ‘complete the duty of a SOLDIER’, was accepted by the Lifestream, in a way saying to him ‘Then complete it’.”

“Minerva’s facial expressions are meant to be hints to the Lifestream’s judgment, such as ‘Genesis has not yet completed his duty as a SOLDIER’ and ‘Genesis still has much left to learn’.”

“Thus, [because of that decision] Genesis was able to achieve his goal of ‘surmounting death.’ And this event is connected to Genesis’ future actions”.
Something is indeed unfinished here.

Last edited:

Prince Roxas

I Wanna Fly High
AKA
Kuki, Truten Prower
I'm getting the DLC outfits with my Limited Edition...couldn't get the Crystal. *bangs head on wall*

Am I the only one who really doesn't like the new uniform for the Academy:Team Alpha? There's too much going on and it looks so freaking girly.

And with SE's comment? I think people are fine with the games that don't take 5+ years to make, they all look pretty and play good. This is doesn't give SE the excuse to still use 2D graphics for leaves on a tree. I thought if they spent so many years making the games at least the leaves would get some time for themselves. :awesome:

Splintered

unsavory tart
TBH I think Kitase is just dumb. Like a Wada 2.0, he has a tendency to say the wrong thing.
I am curious about that giant head in the background of this image, though:
My initial reaction is to say it's a piece of Carbuncle that died after Cocoon fell. I dunno.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
Check with the local KFC.

Top Bottom