Final Fantasy XIII Spoiler Thread (SPOILERS)

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
Obvious in what way? Like are we talking canon couple here, or pairing with a lot of potential? I'm just wondering because people keep saying that they are a couple, and also that it's easy to see it more like a close/deep friendship.
It's not... CANON canon, but my God S-E was heavily implying it. I refuse to believe that they didn't do this on purpose, they act really, really gay for each other.

And the ending's pretty romantic too. :monster:

I dislike the look of Fang. Her mullet alone disturbs me. Its like they grabbed all the cuttings on the design floor and threw it on the table and said, "Hey, there is a character!" and another one said "Hey, let's make her female!"

Haha, that's funny because I actually really love her character design. It's not so much a mullet as it is... sort of messy. Maybe a borderline mullet.

SHE'S SEXY OKAY.

Although Vendel's got a point, haha, she's pretty butch. Her voice is a lot lower than most of the other girls in the game. :desu:

Off-topic but that cropped picture of Fang and Vanille is from my LJ, haha. It was cropped a bit and resized from some really nice high res screencaps I have. :desu:

shenron118

Lurk mode: ON
Obvious in what way? Like are we talking canon couple here, or pairing with a lot of potential? I'm just wondering because people keep saying that they are a couple, and also that it's easy to see it more like a close/deep friendship.
From the TV Tropes "Ho Yay/Les Yay" page:
Troper said:
Square-Enix has certainly upped their Les Yay levels in Final Fantasy XIII. Not only do Vanille and Fang care very deeply for other, they also probably have the biggest amount of lovey-dovey physical contact in the entire game. Not only does Fang likes petting Vanille's head a lot more than Lulu liked petting Yuna's head, they're also the characters that hug more and more passionately through the game. And don't get me started on the ending, where they die holding hands while romantic music plays in the background!

I dislike the look of Fang. Her mullet alone disturbs me. Its like they grabbed all the cuttings on the design floor and threw it on the table and said, "Hey, there is a character!" and another one said "Hey, let's make her female!"
From the TV Tropes "Final Fantasy XIII" page:
Troper said:
Oerba Yun Fang was almost unanimously declared to be the sexiest thing since sex once she was introduced.

Demi-Fiend

Rookie Adventurer
That TV Tropes entry isn't fully correct. Fang and Vanille don't die. The ending is a lot more romantic than just that, they actually get to be together forever.

154ha2x.jpg

Yes, for everyone that didn't know, this is how the game ends. It's really like if out of a yuri anime!

shenron118

That TV Tropes entry isn't fully correct. Fang and Vanille don't die. The ending is a lot more romantic than just that, they actually get to be together forever.
It's TV Tropes; explaining exactly what happened to them on a page where people don't know the specifics of the game is a bit too complicated. Death, while not the most accurate description, is the easiest way of explaining the ending.

And that screencap is really high quality. Damn, that thing's quality is amazing.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Uh here's something

... Yuri in Japan also can mean lily... and Aerith carries lilies and Cloud buys one and gives it to Tifa...

Aerti Proofs :monster:
See? Fang and Vanille are NOT the first lesbian couple.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
wait wait canon lesbians? In my FF?

Please don't let this be a lie.

It's not. But it's hardly the first time. Cloud is part of a lesbian pairing, for example.
Then there's FF10 and Yuna/Meg Ryan.

Well, as someone who has played the game, I can just say that S-E certainly wants us to consider them lesbians. I mean, I dare you to look at this and tell me it doesn't look romantic:

2r4r2xi.jpg

Consider that unlike FFV's Bait-And-Switch-Lesbians Faris and Lenna, Fang and Vanille are not sisters. :awesome:

Wait, Lenna and Faris were Bait and Switch lesbians? And I just thought it was just extra kinky.

Uh here's something

... Yuri in Japan also can mean lily... and Aerith carries lilies and Cloud buys one and gives it to Tifa...

Aerti Proofs :monster:
See? Fang and Vanille are NOT the first lesbian couple.

It's not 'Yuri can mean lily' so much as 'Yuri is the japanese name for lilies and lilies are used to indicate lesbianism in Japanese, and that is where the slang is derived from.'
But yes, Cloud exists only to facilitate the T/A pairing. It is Tifa who has to 'move on' to a relationship with Cloud.
Remember, both girls wear 'red ribbons' which are technically the red string of fate for some reason.

Seriously, though, if they're not lesbians, they're totally heterosexual life mates.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Up next, I have a list of FFVII parallels to point out:

FFVII/FFXIII Parallels List
1) The basis for Lightning's design was that she be a "female version of Cloud." Not only does this hold true in general demeanor and naming scheme, but she's also a former soldier of the Sanctum, whereas Cloud was a former soldier -- and, as far as he knew, an ex-SOLDIER -- of Shin-Ra
2) Sazh Katzroy could be seen as analogous to Barret, as both lost their wives three years before the game, both are single parents, and both are "the black guy"
3) The Sanctum could be seen as analogous to Shin-Ra
4) Team Nora could be seen as analogous to AVALANCHE
5) Both games begin with two of the game's resistance fighters (the Cloud character and the Black Guy) launching an attack on the establishment from a train
6) Both games end with a large, meteor-like object falling toward the planet, threatening imminent catastrophe, only for it to be averted by something rising out of the planet to prevent it. In both cases, female party members who fell in service to the cause are responsible for saving everyone
7) Snow talks about being a hero, as Zack did
8) Snow fights like Tifa, using only his gloved fists
9) There's a date scene involving fireworks
10) There's a highway chase scene
11) There's a scene where one character suggests a journey to see a lost second character again, while a third confirms that they can go do this

Anyone think of any others?

-There's a fight against a machine called "Proud Clad", rode by an antagonist. I take that it could also be translated as "Proud Clod", like the one Scarlet and Heidegger rode.
-This song, which makes me think of all the gang enjoying a break on the beach.

Last edited:

Ghost X

It is said when characters in Disney films go into the pond/lake, its actually symbolism for them having sex. I haven't a clue where this trivial bit of information comes from, but I've heard it from several different sources.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
-There's a fight against a machine called "Proud Clad", rode by an antagonist. I take that it could also be translated as "Proud Clod", like the one Scarlet and Heidegger rode.

Ah, right! Thanks! I'd forgotten that one.

It also occurs during the fall of the Sanctum/Shin-Ra in both cases.

Glaurung said:
-This song, which makes me think of all the gang enjoying a break on the beach.

It does remind me of Costa del Sol's music a bit. Not sure if it quite rises to the level of being a parallel, though.

SE does seem to love their 69ing ying-yang imagery.

That they do:

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/ff10-yunatidus.html

shenron118

Here's an incomplete translation of the second chapter of the Episode Zero light novel: Part 1 and Part 2.

Like I said earlier, it's incomplete, so the entire thing hasn't been translated yet. It was also translated from Japanese to Chinese to English, which means it's not the most understandable tranlsation, but it's better than nothing.

In other news, there's now a LiveJournal community devoted to FangxVanille. It can be found here.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Oh, all get bored and stop posting in this thread now I finally finish the game and get to read it :awesome:

2) Battle music - Most of the boss themes are great, but the standard music is uninspiring. The music for the final boss battle is a let-down as well.
Shut. up. Normal battle music is awesome.

3) Loose ends much? - What the hell happened to Rygdea after he shot Cid? How about the fal'Cie Anima?

I suppose Anima may have been undone given that it was inside Cocoon when the place was crystallized, but still -- a little clarification couldn't have hurt. Of course, it might have been a deliberate measure to not touch upon this again, leaving Anima around for later use. Maybe even as a means of uncrystallizing Fang and Vanille.
Anima's gone, IIRC. Its destruction was what caused Hanged Edge/that river place to crystalise.

I can only figure that the developers were trying to subvert expectations a bit with Jihl, but, still -- that's an expectation that doesn't need subverting. They could have easily still had Galenth blast her, just after the fight and failing to defeat the heroes.
Jihl could have used more screen time. I was disappoint after Rosch seemed to die after only being in one chapter, and then Jihl just got magic-shot in the back. At least one fight like the one with Rufus, where she goes to leave and then gets killed by some old guy who doesn't cut his fingernails.

Cid gets brought back for all of 10 minutes -- and why exactly? I grant you, I didn't understand everything that was said on the matter, and I haven't attempted to translate much of it.
Cid was brought back by Galenth to take his place, and start a war in Cocoon. At that point, he was basically just Galenth's puppet. I can't remember exactly what it said about him, but it didn't seem to imply there was much free will left in him (except to ask to be shot :monster: ).

And then Rygdea disappears into nowhere. I kept expecting him to pop up somewhere and then the game ended.

5) Weak-ass final dungeon - For real, what the hell? Not that Sky Fortress Bahamut was anything special in XII, but I consider the Pharos Lighthouse to be the final dungeon there -- and it was hardly weak-ass.

What we're basically dealing with here is a short, floating hallway. With no walls. So a platform or something. That floats. And is short. And stupid.
Orphan's Cradle/Fal'cie Eden? I thought it was too long, actually :awesome: Too many bosses. And then making fight those bosses again.

Yeah but unless I'm wrong the only way they're EVER gonna wake up from that crystallized state is if the Fal'cie do it. And if the Fal'cie do it, they're gonna give them a Focus too. It's a lose lose situation. They don't really have the option of NORMAL LIFE.
Fang didn't have a Focus during the game, did she? She was worked up about Vanille's, but she fulfilled hers last time so her mark was faded.

Plus everyone's marks (which for the main party were already faded like Fang's before the last fight with Orphan) are gone by the end, so maybe Vanille's and Fang's will be too and they can have happy normal lives :awesome:

It's exactly the same name, and (in FFXIII) is piloted by Rosch :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh, all get bored and stop posting in this thread now I finally finish the game and get to read it :awesome:

Took too long, fucker. :monster:

hito said:
Shut. up. Normal battle music is awesome.

It's growing on me.

hito said:
Anima's gone, IIRC. Its destruction was what caused Hanged Edge/that river place to crystalise.

So it was destroyed? I couldn't really tell if that was the impression we were supposed to take or not. Kind of underwhelming how that played out, if so.

hito said:
Jihl could have used more screen time.

For realz.

hito said:
Cid was brought back by Galenth to take his place, and start a war in Cocoon. At that point, he was basically just Galenth's puppet. I can't remember exactly what it said about him, but it didn't seem to imply there was much free will left in him (except to ask to be shot :monster: ).

Yeah, that's about all I took from it. Seemed kind of pointless.

hito said:
And then Rygdea disappears into nowhere. I kept expecting him to pop up somewhere and then the game ended.

That shit pissed me off. Wonder if the international releases will give him at least another scene. Maybe work him into the final FMV when you see the transport ships landing?

hito said:
Orphan's Cradle/Fal'cie Eden? I thought it was too long, actually :awesome: Too many bosses. And then making fight those bosses again.

Too much shit going on in there, for sure, but the area itself wasn't that big or inspiring. Compare to the Northern Crater, Lunar Subterrane, Ultimecia's Castle, etc. The physical location itself isn't all that big.

hito said:
Fang didn't have a Focus during the game, did she? She was worked up about Vanille's, but she fulfilled hers last time so her mark was faded.

I believe you're right.

By the way, what did you think of the presentation of the obvious pairing there? :awesome:

hito said:
Plus everyone's marks (which for the main party were already faded like Fang's before the last fight with Orphan) are gone by the end, so maybe Vanille's and Fang's will be too and they can have happy normal lives :awesome:

Let's hope so.

Top Bottom