Final Fantasy XIII Spoiler Thread (SPOILERS)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So it's still a bittersweet ending afterall... how bothersome.

Does that disappoint you? Did you want more tragedy or more triumph?

I think FFX's ending probably had the greatest balance of both. When I think of bittersweet endings in general, that story comes to mind.

So wow 3:47....they must have really been enjoying...whatever the hell it is they were doing.

XDDD I just now caught that.

But, you know, they're actually the first pairing in FF to literally become one at some point.

So, Vendel, your task is now to figure out how this illuminates CloudxAerith and the Mako Parasite theory. Get on it.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
So wow 3:47....they must have really been enjoying...whatever the hell it is they were doing.

Oh woooww I missed that the first time. OH WOW.

I think FFX's ending probably had the greatest balance of both. When I think of bittersweet endings in general, that story comes to mind.
I agree, X is one of my favorites in the series for that reason. The ending was good enough that I tried to forget about the forced laughing scene. That scene was more painful on my eyes and ears than seeing half naked men in a bathtub with Cloud.

Back to being on-topic, I want a translation of the Yaag death scene, it's so valiant.

TresDias said:
Like Vines said:
Well, to be fair, Fang and Vanille aren't really DEAD. (SPOILER) They're technically just crystals, but nobody's really sure if they're ever going to be un crystallized.
I'm curious as to what prompted you to tag the crystal part but not the other part. XD

....You know I don't even know. IT SEEMED LOGICAL AT THE TIME ahaha.

Vendel said:
Also...does the butch one have a mullet?
Yes, it's a mixture of Shane hair and Tegan and Sara mullets. She's just THAT GAY.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Shit, I posted the wrong link earlier to the video where Fang semi-slaps Snow -- here it is this time:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/64/

Again, just under three minutes in. She also kicks him on his ass just before the 4-minute mark. :monster:

Supposedly, there is a scene of her actually backhanding him. I need to find that. We can have a list here of all the in-party violence when I'm done.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll try translating Yaag's death scene later. I started to last night and didn't go through with it. If I remember right, though, he said something along the lines of "Stop oppressing the l'Cie. This isn't an order, but it is my wish."

There was more than that, though, so I'll definitely come back to it.

Last edited:

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
TresDias said:
Shit, I posted the wrong link earlier to the video where Fang semi-slaps Snow -- here it is this time:

Again, just under three minutes in. She also kicks him on his ass just before the 4-minute mark. :monster:

AHAHA YES I fucking love her, she's such a badass. Did you see her almost step on his face when she was leaving?

TresDias said:
Supposedly, there is a scene of her actually backhanding him. I need to find that. We can have a list here of all the in-party violence when I'm done.

YES. :desu: And I don't know where to find that scene. I keep seeing snippets of scenes and I don't know what part of the game they come from to look for them. ;o;

Speaking of such, has anyone seen the cutscene where Fang leaves Vanille to fight the guards? It's in a trailer but I haven't seen it in the game itself.

TresDias said:
Oh, and I'll try translating Yaag's death scene later. I started to last night and didn't go through with it. If I remember right, though, he said something along the lines of "Stop oppressing the l'Cie. This isn't an order, but it is my wish."

There was more than that, though, so I'll definitely come back to it.

Yaaay thank you! I really want to see it now, Yaag seems like a very intriguing sort-of-villain.

Demi-Fiend

Rookie Adventurer
So, I was going to say that maybe Vanille and Fang were just real close BFF. And then I saw the ending and I don't think anyone can say they're just BFF anymore. :awesome:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Does that disappoint you? Did you want more tragedy or more triumph?

Nah, I wanted the ending to be fairly happy. Not a disney sweet one, bittersweet kinds are cool and all but... I dunno, I'm not up for it this time around. :awesome:

Vendel

Banned
XDDD I just now caught that.

Really? I was dead tired when I watched it and I sure as heck did not miss it. Epically not after playing it back multiple times to be sure....

But, you know, they're actually the first pairing in FF to literally become one at some point.

I'm not that familiar with the entire concept. But couldn't what happened be considered a fate worse than death?

So, Vendel, your task is now to figure out how this illuminates CloudxAerith and the Mako Parasite theory. Get on it.

I was actually going to point out that you can't assume those dykes are doing it. I mean as far as I have seen they never even say I love you or kiss. At most they are just good friends. Saying they are a couple is just your interpretation.

EDIT: Ha...

lessssbiannnssss.png

Last edited:

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
Vendel said:
I'm not that familiar with the entire concept. But couldn't what happened be considered a fate worse than death?

Well, considering that (if I'm correct) they've been crystallized before, it's not really a fate worse than death. It's actually a little better than death, as there's technically a chance they could be uncrystallized again.

ALSO I found the scene where Lightning slaps Fang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0AnfSCrE8A

That girl has a lot of pent up rage, haha.

Ironically the scene right before that is the one I was looking for earlier. Anyone know what's going on? I mean other than Vanille and Fang acting all gay for each other.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Good find there, Like Vines. The In-Party Violence List is one step closer to being complete. XD

In the meantime, here's a translation I've done of the end of Yaag's death scene, picking up from where he talks into his headset. Prior to that, he seemed to be talking about how he had been party to the sacrificing of people's lives due to the fal'Cie's commands, and he seemed to express dissatisfaction with the citizenry's livelihood being dependent on the fal'Cie who would so casually "snatch away people's hopes" and throw away their lives.

He also wants the player's party to protect Cocoon's people.

Anyway, here we go:
::Yaag is talking into his headset while the party members look on::

Yaag: This is......PSICOM administration official, Rosch.
All PSICOM units, prepare for an announcement.
Stop the attack on the l'Cie. Repeat: Stop the attack on the l'Cie.

::The party members are clearly shocked::

Yaag: Hereafter, evacuating the citizens should be your top priority.
However, this is not an order.
It is only......my wish.

::Yaag drops his headset and falls to his knees. Snow makes a move forward::

Snow: Rosch......
Yaag: Go. Do you think those words about Cocoon's safeguards were lies?

::Snow begins to walk off, but stops::

Snow: Survive. I expect you to.

::The party leaves::

Yaag: You are truly a man. Don't be expecting me. Looks like I'll be protecting you.

::Two King Behemoths show up and prepare to leap at Yaag, who is holding a grenade::

Yaag: This is my.......final wish!

::Yaag raises the grenade and detonates it with a smile as the Behemoths leap toward him::

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Alright, I think I've a complete list of the in-party violence compiled now -- including the elusive scene of Fang backhanding Snow!

Let's get underway:

The In-Party Violence List
1) Vanille slaps Hope:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/10/

2) Snow slaps Gadot:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/12/

3) Lightning punches Snow:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/21/

4) Lightning puts her sword in Snow's face:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/28/

5) Snow gets punched by Lightning two more times:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/32/

6) Fang backhands Snow:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/42/

7) Fang shoves the back of her arm against Snow's chin and later kicks him onto his back:

8) Fang hits Snow in the back of the head, to little effect:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/78/

9) Hope tries to kill Snow:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/106/

10) Lightning backhands Fang:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/107/

11) Sazh points a gun at Vanille:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/130/

12) Sazh points his gun at Vanille again, but then chooses to point it at himself instead:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/132/

13) Fang beats the shit out of Snow some more, and then gets beaten down herself by four members of the team who become l'Cie Corpses for a little while:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/234/
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GamingParodies/videos/235/

This may be the most violence among party members in an FF since FFIV with Kain and his indecisive alliances. Perhaps more?

Last edited:

Demi-Fiend

Rookie Adventurer
Well, considering that (if I'm correct) they've been crystallized before, it's not really a fate worse than death. It's actually a little better than death, as there's technically a chance they could be uncrystallized again.

ALSO I found the scene where Lightning slaps Fang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0AnfSCrE8A

That girl has a lot of pent up rage, haha.

Ironically the scene right before that is the one I was looking for earlier. Anyone know what's going on? I mean other than Vanille and Fang acting all gay for each other.

Vanille is feeling guilty that it is their fault that Serah and Dahj became l'Cie. Fang says that it's true that the fal'Cie has gone to far, but that they've been through enough already. Vanille wonders if they aren't just running away. Fang says that maybe they should indeed just run away, the two of them, together. Then the guards are arriving and Fang tells Vanille to run away by herself. Vanille worryingly calls Fang's name but Fang romantically says that it doesn't matter what happens she will ALWAYS find her way back to Vanille so she shouldn't be worried.

For real.

Vendel

Banned

Well from what I have seen, no one looks happy about the whole process. In fact people seem to react quite badly when someone gets glassed.

Also.......Even if they were returned to normal, they are still in the middle of a massive tower of crystal. So yeah, they're fucked.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
TresDias said:
Yaag: You are truly a man. Don't be expecting me. Looks like I'll be protecting you.

::Two King Behemoths show up and prepare to leap at Yaag, who is holding a grenade::

Yaag: This is my.......final wish!

::Yaag raises the grenade and detonates it with a smile as the Behemoths leap toward him::

HNNGG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TRANSLATION. That's so sad! I really like Yaag now, that's such a noble way to go. ;o; Much better than Jihl, who seemingly got killed by the evil pope (what's his name, again? He's really evil looking).

Also the party violence list is AWESOME. You got all the ones that I know of, SO I COMMEND YOU. That's a a lot of hitting/kicking/punching! I was surprised how much of it was aimed at Snow. The chicks in this game are badass (did you see that punch Lightning threw! Holy shit!), Fang's also got one hell of a kick.

Some of those were almost amusing though. I love how Fang hurt her hand on Snow's head, haha. It could be a reflection on his intelligence, amirite? Also it's totally sad but I still giggled a little bit when Vanille slapped Hope. :monster:

Also what exactly happened in the scene where Hope almost killed Hope?

Well from what I have seen, no one looks happy about the whole process. In fact people seem to react quite badly when someone gets glassed.

Also.......Even if they were returned to normal, they are still in the middle of a massive tower of crystal. So yeah, they're fucked.

Yeah I guess most people don't come back (I am guessing, I only know snippets of the story).

The first time they became uncrystallized it was sort of illogical and they floated around and magically had clothes appear. I think they'd be able to get out of the crystal statue tower thing using magical Square Enix logic.:awesome:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
In the meantime, here's a translation I've done of the end of Yaag's death scene, picking up from where he talks into his headset. Prior to that, he seemed to be talking about how he had been party to the sacrificing of people's lives due to the fal'Cie's commands, and he seemed to express dissatisfaction with the citizenry's livelihood being dependent on the fal'Cie who would so casually "snatch away people's hopes" and throw away their lives.

He also wants the player's party to protect Cocoon's people.

Thanks, Tres. I've only read and watched spoilers about Yaag and Cid. Until I know more about what the hell Cid says in his little speech, I can say that, so far, Yaag is my favorite of all the game. This character already won me when he appeared on the novella. He was a good guy, only he was on the wrong side (like Lighting, if her little sis hadn't been chosen by the fal'Ciel).

But Cid has points for owning Lightning so easily. When he dodged her the first time, flailing his cape, I was tempted to shout "Olé!" :awesome: But I would have liked that their struggle had been longer.

Now I wonder why all the characters I like at first sigh have to end up dead XD.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
HNNGG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TRANSLATION.

No problem! :monster: I was dying to know what he was saying myself.

Like Vines said:
That's so sad! I really like Yaag now, that's such a noble way to go. ;o;

Yes, it's definitely one of my favorite scenes from FF now, and he's one of my top three favorites in this game along with Snow (not sure who's first or second) and then I still haven't picked out a third favorite yet. XD Kind of hard to choose between Sazh, Fang and Vanille.

Like Vines said:
Much better than Jihl ...

Jihl's death sucked. Granted, we don't know that the blast killed her, but if she didn't die right there, she almost certainly did in the following moments when the airship Lindblum was destroyed.

Like Vines said:
who seemingly got killed by the evil pope (what's his name, again? He's really evil looking).

What he is I would call fucking lame. This is the most disappointing big bad an FF has had since Zemus.

Galenth Dysley is his name, by the way. A lame name befitting the lameness that is Galenth.

Like Vines said:
Also the party violence list is AWESOME. You got all the ones that I know of, SO I COMMEND YOU.

Thanks. It is pretty awesome. XD

Like Vines said:
That's a a lot of hitting/kicking/punching! I was surprised how much of it was aimed at Snow.

I know! The dude takes a pounding throughout this game.

Like Vines said:
Also what exactly happened in the scene where Hope almost killed Hope [Snow, I assume]?

Hope was pissed about his mother dying and blamed Snow for it. She had gotten wounded protecting him way earlier in the game, and the two were left dangling from a bridge.

He was holding onto her but couldn't hang on and she fell.

So Hope had been plotting to kill Snow the entire game up to that point, basically.

Thanks, Tres.

You're welcome! :monster:

Glaurung said:
I've only read and watched spoilers about Yaag and Cid. Until I know more about what the hell Cid says in his little speech, I can say that, so far, Yaag is my favorite of all the game.

Yaag is really well done. Like I say, either my first or second favorite.

Glaurung said:
This character already won me when he appeared on the novella. He was a good guy, only he was on the wrong side (like Lighting, if her little sis hadn't been chosen by the fal'Ciel).

Indeed!

Glaurung said:
Now I wonder why all the characters I like at first sigh have to end up dead XD.

Now we know who to blame.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Alright, guys, now that I've seen the entirety of the game -- albeit in Japanese -- I feel ready to discuss a few things. First of all, I want to see what everyone's disappointed with in FFXIII.

We've talked a bit about the things we feel it's done well, but what's something you don't like? I'm not looking for objective responses to this. If you don't like something, you don't like it.

But I do want to know why! :monster:

I'll go first:

1) Minimal travel - While the linearity of the game doesn't bother me, the fact that you could summarize everywhere the team goes fairly quickly does. Even FFXII had a lot of places to visit. FFXIII is pretty slim in this respect.

Still, at least it has a fairly substantial story.

2) Battle music - Most of the boss themes are great, but the standard music is uninspiring. The music for the final boss battle is a let-down as well.

3) Loose ends much? - What the hell happened to Rygdea after he shot Cid? How about the fal'Cie Anima?

I suppose Anima may have been undone given that it was inside Cocoon when the place was crystallized, but still -- a little clarification couldn't have hurt. Of course, it might have been a deliberate measure to not touch upon this again, leaving Anima around for later use. Maybe even as a means of uncrystallizing Fang and Vanille.

4) Poor use of Sanctum members - No boss fight with Rygdea? Or especially Jihl? When she was ready to take on the whole team by herself? What the fuck?

I can only figure that the developers were trying to subvert expectations a bit with Jihl, but, still -- that's an expectation that doesn't need subverting. They could have easily still had Galenth blast her, just after the fight and failing to defeat the heroes.

Cid gets brought back for all of 10 minutes -- and why exactly? I grant you, I didn't understand everything that was said on the matter, and I haven't attempted to translate much of it.

I still know unrealized potential and wtf-ery when I see it, though -- and bringing back this guy that Nomura was involved in the design of, only to have him appear in two scenes before getting voluntarily shot in the head by his former subordinate qualifies. He doesn't even so much as talk to the party again.

5) Weak-ass final dungeon - For real, what the hell? Not that Sky Fortress Bahamut was anything special in XII, but I consider the Pharos Lighthouse to be the final dungeon there -- and it was hardly weak-ass.

What we're basically dealing with here is a short, floating hallway. With no walls. So a platform or something. That floats. And is short. And stupid.

6) Lame-ass main villain - Galenth Dysley. Really? Somebody a bullet in this guy's head.

Oh, that's right, the guy who would have made for a more interesting main villain got one put in his after becoming a slave to the lame-ass Pope.

Seriously, when you've got characters like Jihl, Rygdea and Cid, why would you make the obvious guy who was the main villain all along be the real main villain? No switch like with Gestahl and Kefka? Teh hell?

I'd like to have seen Jihl become the main villain, honestly. She's such a bitch. Plus, we could use more main villains who are female.

But, still, I could have settled for Cid or even Rygdea. What the hell, people?

Alright, so that's my rant. :monster: Post yours!

Up next, I have a list of FFVII parallels to point out:

FFVII/FFXIII Parallels List
1) The basis for Lightning's design was that she be a "female version of Cloud." Not only does this hold true in general demeanor and naming scheme, but she's also a former soldier of the Sanctum, whereas Cloud was a former soldier -- and, as far as he knew, an ex-SOLDIER -- of Shin-Ra
2) Sazh Katzroy could be seen as analogous to Barret, as both lost their wives three years before the game, both are single parents, and both are "the black guy"
3) The Sanctum could be seen as analogous to Shin-Ra
4) Team Nora could be seen as analogous to AVALANCHE
5) Both games begin with two of the game's resistance fighters (the Cloud character and the Black Guy) launching an attack on the establishment from a train
6) Both games end with a large, meteor-like object falling toward the planet, threatening imminent catastrophe, only for it to be averted by something rising out of the planet to prevent it. In both cases, female party members who fell in service to the cause are responsible for saving everyone
7) Snow talks about being a hero, as Zack did
8) Snow fights like Tifa, using only his gloved fists
9) There's a date scene involving fireworks
10) There's a highway chase scene
11) There's a scene where one character suggests a journey to see a lost second character again, while a third confirms that they can go do this

Anyone think of any others?

Last edited:

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
4) Poor use of Sanctum members - No boss fight with Rygdea? Or especially Jihl? When she was ready to take on the whole team by herself? What the fuck?

I can only figure that the developers were trying to subvert expectations a bit with Jihl, but, still -- that's an expectation that doesn't need subverting. They could have easily still had Galenth blast her, just after the fight and failing to defeat the heroes.

I'd like to have seen Jihl become the main villain, honestly. She's such a bitch. Plus, we could use more main villains who are female.

^This, really.

It's the only complaint I have up until now.

I'm Keeping myself away of any more spoilers, so i'll give a more detailed report when i play the game. :monster:

Vendel

Banned
Alright, guys, now that I've seen the entirety of the game -- albeit in Japanese -- I feel ready to discuss a few things.

Stick with the important stuff. Any more hawt and steamy lesbo scenes?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon

Cid gets brought back for all of 10 minutes -- and why exactly? I grant you, I didn't understand everything that was said on the matter, and I haven't attempted to translate much of it.

I still know unrealized potential and wtf-ery when I see it, though -- and bringing back this guy that Nomura was involved in the design of, only to have him appear in two scenes before getting voluntarily shot in the head by his former subordinate qualifies. He doesn't even so much as talk to the party again.

WHAT? They don't explain why the hell he was brought back? I supposed that, after being crystalized, he was revived with a new Focus, and that was why he allowed Rygdea to shoot him.

6) Lame-ass main villain - Galenth Dysley. Really? Somebody a bullet in this guy's head.

Oh, that's right, the guy who would have made for a more interesting main villain got one put in his after becoming a slave to the lame-ass Pope.

Seriously, when you've got characters like Jihl, Rygdea and Cid, why would you make the obvious guy who was the main villain all along be the real main villain? No switch like with Gestahl and Kefka? Teh hell?

But, still, I could have settled for Cid or even Rygdea. What the hell, people?

When I read that Cid had been designed by Nomura I though he was going to be the main villain, and that he was going to come back again and again like Seymour did. I was disappointed that he wasn't the main villain, nor he joined the party.

I wouldn't put Rygdea as a villain. I don't know, but I don't see him in that role (unless you make him another Jetch, in wich case I'd be delighted :monster: )

I still have to watch it, but I only hope this is not as disappointing as FFVIII's gameplay was.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Do you guys remeber the "Episode Zero" novella?

Well, it's been released in Japan with additional chapters for Fang and Vanille.

Here's a list of the events of that chapter:

- Vanille and Fang became crystals about 600 years ago.
- Everything they saw after awakening was new to them.
- The first food they ate after awakening were vegetables cooked by Snow's NORA team and fish that Fang and Vanille caught themselves in the sea. By the way, they did'n like the food much (it was lightly seasoned and soggy).
- Fang likes salty taste.
- Fang thinks fondly of Vanille and is always ready to rush for the rescue if anything happens. On the other hand Vanille is worried about Fang and tries to escape from her l'Cie Focus.
- Vanille loves animals. Sha also cries and laughs a lot.
- Vanille is 17-18 years old, Fang is the same age as Lebrau.
- During the Purge Vanille thinks about Fang. She ends up with a conclusion that if she wasn't here Fang wouldn't have to fight risking her life. She also doesn't mind becoming a Cie Corpse if Fang keeps on living.
- The last chapter of the book tells how Vanille and Fang became l'Cie several hundred years ago.
- Their families were killed by Cocoon's l'Cies and fal'Cies. After that they lived in the Oerba orphanage-like place and thought of each other as a family.
- Cocoon's fal'Cie plundered everything from Pulse, from food to buildings.
- Fang turns her hatred towards Pulse's fal'Cie Anima who couldn't save the people of Pulse.
- Fang volunteered to become l'Cie in order to save her friends from Cocoon.
- Vanille first just tagged along with her, but then decided to become l'Cie as well.

Source: Finalfantasy-XIII.net forums

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
- Fang likes salty taste.
Dirty mind, dirty dirty mind!

- Fang thinks fondly of Vanille and is always ready to rush for the rescue if anything happens. On the other hand Vanille is worried about Fang and tries to escape from her l'Cie Focus.
- During the Purge Vanille thinks about Fang. She ends up with a conclusion that if she wasn't here Fang wouldn't have to fight risking her life. She also doesn't mind becoming a Cie Corpse if Fang keeps on living.
- Their families were killed by Cocoon's l'Cies and fal'Cies. After that they lived in the Oerba orphanage-like place and thought of each other as a family.
Caaaaaan you feeeeeeeel the looooooooove to-niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
I thus far have LOVED just about everything I've seen of this game (Zee and I were fangirling over how absolutely awesome the battle system looks) but there are a few bugs I have as well.

TresDias said:
1) Minimal travel - While the linearity of the game doesn't bother me, the fact that you could summarize everywhere the team goes fairly quickly does. Even FFXII had a lot of places to visit. FFXIII is pretty slim in this respect.

Gotta agree with this. It seems so different from FFVII, where you're pretty much literally traveling the planet. A little underwhelming, to me.

TresDias said:
Or especially Jihl? When she was ready to take on the whole team by herself? What the fuck?

JIHL'S DEATH SUCKED. I wanted MORE from her, she was pretty much just a recycled Scarlet (minus the slapfight, sadly) in terms of her part in the story, and that pissed me off. She had SO much potential (The entire time I spent reading Sazh's novella I wanted to bitchslap her) but they just sort of killed her off and didn't do anything with her. blargh.

I also didn't like the Jpop song used in the game. I know it's a dumb thing to bitch about, but I just don't really feel like cheesy Jpop has a place in Final Fantasy games. What the hell happened to epic songs like Liberi Fatali? Guh.

Also hated Lightning's belly button ring. What the fuck, where did that even come from. I cannot fathom logically how this would happen. Was she drunk?

Other than that though, I was pretty pleased with most of what I saw.

I have to point out something I DID love, though:

The facial expressions and movements were STUNNING. Each of the characters has their own set of habits and movements and they reflect that in each of their scenes. Their character shines through even if I can't understand the dialogue -- just like real human interaction. Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I thought this was incredibly executed and was a good sign of things to come in future Final Fantasy games.

I also liked the character designs a lot. Still typical S-E (nice hipster scarf, Hope) but I... I know this is sort of a travesty, but I'm so happy Tetsuya Nomura didn't design all of the characters. edit: Did he? They don't look like his designs, except for Fang and Vanille's outfits resembling Yuna's a bit. Plus you guys say "he designed Cid" as though he didn't design anyone else, haha. And Cid looks like a Nomura character. I don't know but I do love the character designs a lot.

TresDias said:
The basis for Lightning's design was that she be a "female version of Cloud." Not only does this hold true in general demeanor, but she's also a former soldier of the Sanctum, whereas Cloud was a former soldier -- and, as far as he knew, an ex-SOLDIER -- of Shin-Ra

I think that Lightning also, in a lot of ways, played the foil to (for?) Cloud as well. She was excellent in the military -- he wasn't. She was prepared to lose her mother, whereas he lost his unexpectedly. Things like this are reflected in their behavior: She's overly mature, and he's far more immature than he should be. And even though she's as reserved as he is, she's far less socially awkward than he is.

Gotta say that I LOVED Lightning, her character depresses me so much (I seriously find her story and her as a person to be so sad) but I think Square did a wonderful job with her.

fsdfds I love them so much. *u*

There was a review for the novel online somewhere, the reviewer described Fang and Vanille as acting "lovey dovey" (I think he actually used the term "yuri-yuri" lololol)

I still haven't decided if Square did this on purpose or not. I'm leaning strongly towards yes.

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
- Vanille and Fang became crystals about 600 years ago.

Wow you gotta love that. If you get chosen your reward is either become a monster if you fail, die trying or become a crystal. And if you are lucky you get brought back to repeat the process.

Talk about being fates bitch eh?

also....
fish that Fang and Vanille caught themselves in the sea. By the way, they did'n like the food much (it was lightly seasoned and soggy).
- Fang likes salty taste."

Nah....too easy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom