Final Fantasy XVI

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i am not going to keep eva posting in this thread, i have saved that for the eva thread :sadpanda:

also, i had it in my head that akihiko yoshida did the character designs for this but he didn't. maybe it was the ffxiv crew being involved and some of the illustrations i saw early on having a bit of his vibe that gave me the idea and i just never learnt more to dispel it

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
1692454378182.png

I went to a local bookstore and picked up a copy of this month's issue of CGWORLD, a magazine dedicated to detailing the 3D artistic processes used by industry professionals. This month's issue was on FFXVI, so I had to pick it up - and I found something interesting, and it implies something I have suspected for a while (as have others)

Over the years, people have wondered what races certain FF characters are intended to be based on. Obviously, FF is a fantasy series, so they don't have to be any one race in particular, but getting that out of the way...Characters like Yuffie and Sazh are unambiguous, but with other characters - like Cloud, Lightning, Sephiroth, Aerith, and so on - it's not as clear. A lot of assumptions are made because people project their own cultures onto characters, though perception seems to have changed over the years. The western fantasy influence of FF implies certain characters are white (as well as certain naming conventions), though many characters like Tidus and Tifa have clearly Asian features. The thing that particularly stuck out to me about Cloud in FFVII Remake is that he has an almost raceless appearance, with features that span both eastern and western cultures, and I wondered if this was intentional.

1692455028476.png

That sets the stage for this! This is the section in CGWORLD that details how the team made Clive's head sculpt. There are people on this site - hell, there are people in this thread - with much better Japanese comprehension skills than me, but from what I gathered in the text, they followed this process: When considering what made a face realistic, they first made a collection of 3D scans of staff from Square Enix's office, making sure to get a sample range consisting of multiple nationalities. Then, they morphed features of the faces together until they had a "base." They then used that to sculpt Clive's likeness. This seems to imply that the team is specifically trying to make characters that seem like a bridge between the east and the west, possibly because they're aware FF is a global franchise at this point.

It's also possible I'm looking too far into this, but I found the process to be interesting, nonetheless. The whole feature goes into some interesting detail in the tech that went into making the game, so perhaps I can post a bit more if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Wow Jill looks gorgeous with the new outfit *_*

For dlc, I hope for more Cid and Benedikta screentime, and new gameplay and exploration enhancements for the main game.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Been checking out the new outfits. While I was at it, I decided to mop up those last few Chronoliths I hadn't done yet. Only thing left for the platinum is maxing out every ability and finishing FF mode. I wonder if I should wait though, they might still update the performance mode and such.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13557

Very cool shadow drop. Still haven’t beaten the campaign tho.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

Yoshi-P has stated that the FF16 dev team has been disbanded, leaving a small team for the DLCs, and have no plans for a FF16 sequel/spinoff, instead he wants to do new projects.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
was this a surprise release or have i just not been paying attention

kinda figured that tower you see in the background/gets pointed out by characters/had an apparent entrance that never opens would end up getting something done with it at some point. which is kind of annoying, like you knew you were going to put this in the game but you carved it out to sell for an extra cost later. rude.

i got it anyway so my whining isn't going to do much good. first thing i noticed was mocap cutscenes, which is nice. and the level cap has gone up, which isn't nice because i did a bunch of quests after hitting the cap and now feel like i wasted that exp.

also (in the japanese audio) there is a different voice for harpocrates. at first i was doubting if i actually correctly remembered what he sounded like but no, it had changed. you can pick the other text dialogues and hear his original voice and then you pick the new dlc one and it's a noticeably different guy. i was wondering if it was a case of replacing an actor who had passed away (kh3/mickey mouse) but his original actor seems to still be alive. it's not a kh3/pierre taki deal where they replaced him completely because he's still right there in the original dialogue. i don't get it. i missed part of the dialogue because i couldn't stop focusing on this new guy's voice and not what was being said.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield

give-it-to-me.gif

Top Bottom