[Game Complete] Pushing It to the Thirteenth Hour: My Step by Step Impressions of Final Fantasy XIII.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Valkyrie Profile is seriously good. Hell, I even enjoyed VP2. (On the other hand, VP: Covenant of the Plume was a bit weaker...)

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I'm hearing a lot of negative stuff about the villian in this game. Could you describe him/her to me. I haven't gotten that far yet.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
If you had to name the biggest flaw with the game what would it be?

If you had to name the best thing with this game (aside from graphic related) what would it be?

Did the voice acting grow on you?

Is Sazh a stereotype?

If you had known what it was like before playing it, would you have rented?

If you HAVE bought it, are you gonna sell?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm hearing a lot of negative stuff about the villian in this game. Could you describe him/her to me. I haven't gotten that far yet.

He just isn't really a villain.l He'd be like if Maester Mika were the main villain of X. The real villain in XIII is the "system." Similar to XII, though yes, you had Vayne but, pfft.

Daniel Returns said:

If you had to name the best thing with this game (aside from graphic related) what would it be?

Is Sazh a stereotype?

I know that's for Mog, but since they're there:

1. The weak cast. As I said, Lightning and Sazh are great and that's it.

2. Even though it is the only thing to do, the combat is pretty fun.

3. Vanille's voice grated on me more and more as the game progressed. But with a few (notable) exceptions, I find the English voices better than the Japanese. Especially in Sazh's case.

4. In the way he looks or acts? Looks, duh. Acts, no. Like Mog said he's one of the most real characters FF has ever had.

5 and 6. No and no. Partially because I'm kinda becoming attached to having all the FFs (I've never played VIII again, for instance, and I still have that.) and partly because I really didn't think it was that bad.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Hmm and one other, where do you place this in the series? Do a top 10? I cannot really do that with this game as I haven't played it, but I am guessing this would be it for me:

1. FF7
2. FF8, FF10
4. FF9
5. FF6
7. FF4
8. FFX-2
9. FF13
10. FF12

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have a really hard time ordering FFs...VII is always first, but after that it really rotates around according to my mood. At this moment I could say:

1. VII
2. VI
3. IX
4. X
5. V

6. XIII
7. IV
8. XII
8. X-2
10. VIII

The bolded ones are especially prone to moving around depending on my mood. I figured it'd be cheating as its not a main title but Tactics is up there too :monster:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
1.VII
2.IX
3.VI
4.X
5.V
6.IV
7.VIII
8.II
9.I
10.III

Like Atem, most of my lis tis subject to change.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

-Its linearity. Battles are literally pretty much the only thing you're doing.

-The camaraderie between the main characters. It's really something, they really do feel like a 'crew' working together as opposed to a bunch of people who happen to be in the same place (like FFXII). Or narrowing it down, Sazh.

-I've never been one for "UGH THE VOICE ACTING SUCKS THE JAPANESE IS MUCH BETTER"

Now this is all my opinion here, but 1. While I can tell HORRIBLE voice acting (think Chaos Wars) over regular voice acting, usually voice acting is just regular people talking to me. 2. I can't 'prefer' voice acting in a language I can't understand. So that's just me. In short, I found the voice acting fine because to me it just sounds like people talking. What more do you want!?

Sazh's voice work was stellar, though.

Is Sazh a stereotype?

-Dacon will disagree, but I say no. Like I said before, he's the most 'human' and 'normal' guy out of the cast. He's really, really good, one of my favorite characters of all time. He's not a stereotype to me because he acts like what he is; a middle aged black guy caught up in some bullshit.

-In my case, yeah. That 60 dollars would come in handy right about now! Even then, I suggest a rental.

-Nah. It's like selling books back-you don't get shit for them. So I'll just hold on to it for posterity, hell, there might be a DLC coming or something.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's not the linearity, as it's been -- inaccurately I would say -- referred to so often, but it's a lack of shit other than battles to interact in. Whether it be all the awesome cutscenes that should have led to memorable interactive sequences of great fun, or the fact that you don't even ever get to
fight Titan,
FFXIII is the poster child on missed gaming opportunities and how not to present awesome cutscenes, surpassing the precedent set by Dirge of Cerberus.

The main cast and their characterization/interaction, absolutely. They're fucking great. It's hard for me to even try to pick a favorite anymore, but I think Sazh is probably first, followed by a tie of everybody else.

This game's English voice acting is possibly the best yet in an FF. The Japanese voices were also good, but I feel the English cast is better.

Is Sazh a stereotype?
In appearance only.

FFXIII is a rental.

I don't own it.

Where do you place this in the series?
In terms of favorites or in terms of what I actually consider the best? I'll assume in terms of what I consider best due to storyline, characterization, presentation (graphics, music, art design, etc.) and gameplay.

Obviously one that performs weakly in one area could make up for it in another, but those that do all of it well will appear toward the top.

1) X
2) VII
3) Tactics
4) VI
5) XII
6) XIII
7) VIII
8) IV
9) V
10) IX
11) X-2
12) II
13) III
14) I

Last edited:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
1. VII
2. Tactics
3. X
4. VI
5. VIII
6. XIII
7. V
8. XII
9. I
10. IV
11. IX
12. II
13. X-2

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Good to see a lot of people here appreciate VII and X....other places not so much, though I still think you all suck for not having VIII in top 3 :awesome: .

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

Is Sazh a stereotype?

Not quite done the game yet (I'm near the end) but I'll go for it anyway.

1. As said, the lack of stuff to do. There is really no excuse for this. Nautilus and Gran Pulse are freaking GIANT GOLDEN OPPURTUNITIES FOR MINIGAMES/EXTRA STUFF. This aspect was pretty ridiculous.

2. Once again, characterization. To be perfectly honest, this and FFX are the top two in the series where I felt an actual personal closeness between the characters.

3. I liked the voice acting from the start. It took me a while to take Vanille seriously though =/

4. No. Sahz rocks.

5/6. Like ForceStealer, I like owning all the FF games in one way or the other. But looking back, I'd probably wait for a used copy to come out instead.

also ranking from the FFs I've played:

1. Tied FFVII and FFT
2. FFIX
3. FFVI
4. FFXII
5. FFIV
6. FFX
7. FFVIII
8. FFXIII
9. FFIII (DS Remake)

The order from 4-7 pretty much changed at whim though. Sometimes I like VIII more, sometimes IV more etc.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Is Sazh a stereotype?

-Dacon will disagree, but I say no. Like I said before, he's the most 'human' and 'normal' guy out of the cast. He's really, really good, one of my favorite characters of all time. He's not a stereotype to me because he acts like what he is; a middle aged black guy caught up in some bullshit.

D-D-DEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP.

I said he looked the part of a stereotype to a T. Not that he was, and admittedly is probably the best character in the game. If only he didn't look so stupid.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
and rankings are asinine you cockjuggling faggots.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
D-D-DEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP.

I said he looked the part of a stereotype to a T. Not that he was, and admittedly is probably the best character in the game. If only he didn't look so stupid.

I especially hate misquoting people, so my bad on that part! Apologies.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
1. VII
2. Tactics
3. X
4. VI
5. VIII
6. XIII
7. V
8. XII
9. I
10. IV
11. IX
12. II
13. X-2

Mine looks so different from everyone's. D:

1. VI.
2. IV.
3. IX.
4. VII.
5. II.
6. X.
7. XII.
8. I.
9. FFT.
10. XIII.

I still think you all suck for not having VIII in top 3

drawing magic, junctions, and forced romance are all things I'd love to forget.

Also, the main character is a massive douche.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Keep crying you stupid bint. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FFXIII STOP FAGGING IT UP.

Top Bottom