[Game Complete] Pushing It to the Thirteenth Hour: My Step by Step Impressions of Final Fantasy XIII.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I will be writting the comment that doesn't add much and say I'm liking it quite a lot. I do have a too busy life, and so far I've "only" played around 5 hours, starting Chapter 3.

I was highly convinced that I wouldn't like it especially, but since I decided to give the game the benefit of the doubt, I'm finding it quite enjoyable. The battle system seems to have potential, the character interaction looks interesting, and the graphics are... well, it has been said, but holy fu**ing s**t!! Wonderful!

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Did they add new scenes to the english version? I think not, and I'm sorry, but when the resident fangirl says "Trust me" about her latest obsession that she's been slobbering over since before it was released, I can't help but laugh.
I can't help but laugh when someone that hasn't even played the damn game is trying to offer criticism of it.

The Vanille story is very well told. Much more than I thought it would be, because I was first in line to start taking shots at it when this game came out. But so far I can't find any serious faults there.
Hope's a little bitch though
Hope is the absolute worst character (and maybe the entire game). His characterisation is easily the worst and his motivations for the first half of the game before he gets home, are simply damn bizarre and hard to work out. He flips so often between going out for bloodlust and revenge and trying to prove himself as a good little soldier to Lightning that its very hard to empathise with him. Especially given that he thought Snow could possibly be responsible for his mother's death when he witnessed Snow trying obviously extremely hard to save her life AND his mother volunteering to put herself in that position in the first place. Neither of his reactions are normal, understandable or relatable.

My other major gripe is that right out of the gate, if you haven't been paying attention to all the pre-release material then things are quite hard to follow for the first hour or so. The game throws alot of funny names at you and is in absolutely no hurry to define them, that made it more difficult for me to really get into than I would have liked. But it all comes together eventually and thats when things really start getting immersive.

Thats all the criticism I have for now really.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
I am a fangirl.
But that doesn't mean you should disregard everything I say. >;

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I can't help but laugh when someone that hasn't even played the damn game but trying to offer criticism of it.
I can't criticize a story I've already seen and read about? Please.
The Vanille story is very well told. Much more than I thought it would be, because I was first in line to start taking shots at it when this game came out. But so far I can't find any serious faults there.
I think it's painfully generic, and that's that. The girl and Snow are among the least interesting characters in the game, and about halfway through they are constantly shoving them into your face.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
1268264140127.jpg

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Idk about everyone else but I'm looking forward to this next update because MOG got the game the same day that I did. It's interesting to see what his experience is compared to mine. Given that mine has only been marginally (;.; but not that marginally) influenced by my girlfriend.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
FAN NOT FANBOY

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/fina....html?id=711537&tag=player-reviews;continue;1

I am really enjoying the user reviews flood in. The backlash has begun ;)

(sadly gamespot has already removed a load that were rating 1)
You are off topic. There are already threads for this sort of information.

Get the fuck out of here, I am looking to read an unbiased take on this game and not listen to you and who the fuck ever bitch about how IT SUX GUYS when you've never played it.

You're annoying me.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Sounds like you need a time out.

He probably shoulda posted that in Mako's thread, but that's no call for an outburst like that mate.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
:lol: ok chill! Delete that post or move it if you wish, he is right it shouldn't be here, but geez don't have a coronary! It is only a game ;)

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Update #4: 6 Hours, 36 minutes

I'm on...Chapter 4, I think?

I'll be honest; it's not gripping me like most new Final Fantasy do. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not pulling me in. Why?

Too many fucking cutscenes.

At least for my taste. I'm spending entirely too much time with the controller down watching stuff happen than actually doing it. I don't really like this in RPGs, I like to explore, walking around interacting with the world at my leisure, talking with the inhabitants, coming and going as I please, and with a variety of cities, towns, dungeons, wide open spaces, and what have you. So far, it's cutscene/dungeon/cutscene/dungeon, repeat. It's an exhausting experience because I'm not really getting a break to decompress and actually explore anything.

That's my major beef with the game so far. Not a gamebreaker, but a beef. On the upside, the story that the game insists on shoving down my throat is looking to be pretty good, and it seems like there's a lot going on. I really still feel as if I didn't scratch the surface at all. It's almost intimidating just how much story there is. The battles are opening up as well, slowly giving me reign over things like the Crystarium, Paradigms, and stuff like that. However, I'm still finding it pretty easy, just having to Auto Battle and Attack all of the time. I got an Eidolon a ways back, though, so we'll see how that plays out.

If this game has to be a dungeon crawler so be it, so hopefully the battles will prove to be challenging. I know a lot of people didn't like the fact that your HP restores at the end of every battle, but seeing as I'm a fan of the Saga Frontier series (which has the same mechanic, but the battles are challenging as fuck and people are still datamining the gameplay mechanics of Saga Frontier 1), it's not so bad.

The characters still hold the same impression I had before. Nothing really groundbreaking happened to have a real change of opinion towards them.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
but SqaureEnix has lost a trusting fan
I'm sure his revenue will be missed.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I'm sure his revenue will be missed.

From a business perspective (and from a business student), that's not the type of attitude a business should have towards a customer, and especially towards a fan, ever. There's a saying that "One angry customer can drive a business into the ground". While this is grossly exaggerated for a big corporation like SE, on the same token, a business should not go "WELL FUCK THAT GUY" when a fan is pissed off enough at your product, or a decision that your business made, to make a statement that they're done spending money on your company for life. That's a big deal.

You can't please everyone, but at the same time, you can't dismiss anyone.

Top Bottom