Game of Thrones

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Do we need to post spoilers btw? Oh what the hey...

I felt the scene with the burning idols needed more gravity. I'm pretty sure in the books Davos was haunted by the image of his Gods being put to flame, but in this episode he comes across as pretty meh about it. Btw, I love the casting of Davos. He's like the British Jean Reno.

The Direwolves. I'm so glad they've replaced the huskies from season 1 with (digitally composited) wolves. For a TV show, they look pretty good. Although the real test will come when they have to do a little more than pad forward and snarl.

Ros. Fucking Ros. Little by little I'm failing to see the point of her. Is the actress sleeping with the director or something? You know what they should have done? Replaced Shae with Ros. Yes, because I hate Shae's actress. She stinks. And at least this way Ros would actually have a part to play in the show.

Episode 2 didn't have subtitles, so from what I've gathered that was Rakharo's head that was returned to Dany? That was a shock, since his character never died in the books, but apparently the actor had a scheduling conflict.

I was worried about Melisandre from the screenshots but the actress is FINE.

Maisie Williams is bloody adorable.

Last edited:

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
when cersei slapped joffrey, why didn't she pull a tyrion and do it again. and again. that stupid little twat.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
joffslap.gif

If I've left one out forgiveness plz. ;_;

greatest .gif ever

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I can't help but lol at Melisandre's (light) Dutch accent, :monster:.

And yes, they could've done better with Davos' scene. It came across as a bit stiff etc.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
i just really enjoy when melisandre says 'for the night is dark and full of terrors'

maybe i just like the way she says terrors

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
The Littlefinger/Cersei scene was clunky and out of character. Littlefinger would never be as stupid as to make such an affront against Cersei. That's not what his character is about. The verbal sparring works so well between Littlefinger & Varys because they're both equals playing the same game, but taking jabs like that at Cersei doesn't work since she's queen regent and obviously holds all the aces. It's as much a deviation from the show as well the books, based on Littlefinger's little sexposition in episode 7. The smoke and mirrors act doesn't work when the wizard pops his head out from behind the curtain. I kinda get what they were trying to do with the scene, it just didn't come off well and could have been handled a lot better.

And Cersei playing Jedi with the guards was well... stupid.

Did Aidan Gillen's voice sound off btw? Has he got the lurgy or something?

A lowpoint of that first episode considering how well written the original scenes were in Season 1. At least Robb & Jaime's little exchange evened it out.

Lex

Administrator
So I'm going to start watching Game of Thrones today. Never seen it before, and I know absolutely nothing about it. Excited.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
@Masa: my thoughts exactly. It was a great scene, but within the context of the show it didn't work. And also yah his voice, did they overdub it with an impersonator?

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
So am I the only one who is slightly bothered by the stuff they're kinda changing this season?

I mean, I know they can't follow the books perfectly but I feel like a lot of the added scenes are sort of...pointless?

They did really well with season 1 but...I don't know. Mixed feelings so far about season 2. :T

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
So am I the only one who is slightly bothered by the stuff they're kinda changing this season?

I mean, I know they can't follow the books perfectly but I feel like a lot of the added scenes are sort of...pointless?

They did really well with season 1 but...I don't know. Mixed feelings so far about season 2. :T
if they add some sansa/marg i feel anything they do will be 100% forgivable

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
YES, THAT I CAN FORGIVE. I love the interactions between those two ladies in the books!

I just don't get why the redheaded prostitute is a main character now and her scene with Petyr? And then like Masamune brought up, that scene where Petyr goes OOC in front of Cersei?
It's just little things but seeing as how they only have ten episodes, I sort of wish they focused more on book content than added scenes. :T

Splintered

unsavory tart
The Littlefinger/Cersei scene was clunky and out of character. Littlefinger would never be as stupid as to make such an affront against Cersei. That's not what his character is about. The verbal sparring works so well between Littlefinger & Varys because they're both equals playing the same game, but taking jabs like that at Cersei doesn't work since she's queen regent and obviously holds all the aces. It's as much a deviation from the show as well the books, based on Littlefinger's little sexposition in episode 7. The smoke and mirrors act doesn't work when the wizard pops his head out from behind the curtain. I kinda get what they were trying to do with the scene, it just didn't come off well and could have been handled a lot better.

And Cersei playing Jedi with the guards was well... stupid.

Did Aidan Gillen's voice sound off btw? Has he got the lurgy or something?

A lowpoint of that first episode considering how well written the original scenes were in Season 1. At least Robb & Jaime's little exchange evened it out.
They do some weird things with Littlefinger in this adaptation. I pretty much love this series but out of everyone, I think they handled Littlefinger the sketchiest.

His tendency to reveal his true colors in the series makes me :/ One he would never confront Cersei outright and likes making people think bad ideas are their own ideas (ie- marriage to Margery and the killing of Joffrey)

I mean, yeah, Littlefinger exposition dumps to Sansa in book four, but Sansa is under his power, not a whore, and he's always been weird about her. Makes no sense to me that Littlefinger would show his cards so early and in such a dangerous place.

ia with what you said. Varys makes sense. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Cersei does not.

Although this maybe my bitterness coming through. It was a lot harder to figure out Littlefinger as a mastermind to a lot of the huge events, in GoT it feels like you have to be stupid to miss it. Makes the reveals for less awesome. And when my siblings are like "Littlefinger did it" I want to be stomp my feet like a brat and say it's not suppose to be that easy >___>

It wasn't a terrible scene because if nothing else, politics is use of power and everyone in the show is trying to find out what real power is. But while it does wonders for Cersei, Littlefinger not so much.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I think I'm kinda glad I don't actually recall the second book enough and/or see the series with fresh eyes to actually distinctly notice the differences in the second season :monster:.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
They do some weird things with Littlefinger in this adaptation. I pretty much love this series but out of everyone, I think they handled Littlefinger the sketchiest.

His tendency to reveal his true colors in the series makes me :/ One he would never confront Cersei outright and likes making people think bad ideas are their own ideas (ie- marriage to Margery and the killing of Joffrey)

I mean, yeah, Littlefinger exposition dumps to Sansa in book four, but Sansa is under his power, not a whore, and he's always been weird about her. Makes no sense to me that Littlefinger would show his cards so early and in such a dangerous place.

ia with what you said. Varys makes sense. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Cersei does not.

Although this maybe my bitterness coming through. It was a lot harder to figure out Littlefinger as a mastermind to a lot of the huge events, in GoT it feels like you have to be stupid to miss it. Makes the reveals for less awesome. And when my siblings are like "Littlefinger did it" I want to be stomp my feet like a brat and say it's not suppose to be that easy >___>

It wasn't a terrible scene because if nothing else, politics is use of power and everyone in the show is trying to find out what real power is. But while it does wonders for Cersei, Littlefinger not so much.

After reading a good bit of the books, it looks to me like the series has plenty of potential to go off the rails to its own events.

Especially with only the dark horrors of the universe knowing when Martin might finish the last 2 books.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I don't mind the added stuff, except for the much discussed Baelish vs. Cersei scene. I quite liked the way they handled everything in Episode 2, including the Ros stuff. Her arc is hella interesting to me because unlike everyone else I have no idea where its going. Everything else is going just as I remember. Tyrion's arc and scenes (especially in Episode 2) are amazing.

Is Dolorous Edd that guy hanging out with Grenn? They haven't referred to him by name yet. Or is he one of those other assholes? (everyone other than Grenn and Edd are assholes really)

Only one thing is glaringly different from the books as far as I can tell:
killing Rakharo was a travesty, I loved that actor and that character and now I just don't know ANYONE's name in the Dany storyline beside her and Jorah (and Doreah, who the show is treating... somewhat differently) (not that I'm complaining I love Doreah she is babely). Rakharo is there for every major event in the books, what the hell is going to happen now? Jhogo and Aggo aren't even in the show. So Dany basically doesn't have any bloodriders, just Jorah. Nice.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Is Dolorous Edd that guy hanging out with Grenn? They haven't referred to him by name yet. Or is he one of those other assholes? (everyone other than Grenn and Edd are assholes really)

What about Pyp and Sam? :P

And yeah, that's Dolorous Edd.

Only one thing is glaringly different from the books as far as I can tell:
killing Rakharo was a travesty, I loved that actor and that character and now I just don't know ANYONE's name in the Dany storyline beside her and Jorah (and Doreah, who the show is treating... somewhat differently) (not that I'm complaining I love Doreah she is babely). Rakharo is there for every major event in the books, what the hell is going to happen now? Jhogo and Aggo aren't even in the show. So Dany basically doesn't have any bloodriders, just Jorah. Nice.

Yeah, like I said, I was slightly shocked by that move, as he was one of the more prominent characters of Dany's posse in the show. As I understand it, the actor quit to shoot World War Z, so there wasn't much they could do about that. I suppose they could have written him out whilst leaving the door open for him to return in Season 3, but Rakharo doesn't have a big role later on, anyway, and there will be other characters
like Selmy
needing screentime.

I really enjoyed the scene between Theon & Balon. That was brilliantly put together and captured not only the strained relationship between father and son but also the bleak and insular ethos of the Iron Islands. Patrick Malahide is perfect as Balon, too. Quite an underrated actor.

As for Asha, sorry, "Yara"... I felt she was kinda bland. In the books, she's quite a striking sight and totally trolls Theon on their way up to the castle. I didn't get either of that from the actress.

And Yoren is a boss. That is all.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well you never know. Good TV shows have a tendency to get cancelled because they don't appeal to a too big audience.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
This is true, but the ratings have been significantly better this season than the first season.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
i finally watched the latest episode

disappointed with yara/asha since she was a lot more of a cocktease without letting him do shit in the books? idk

also disappointed with where they seem to be taking littlefinger idk he struck me as a lot quieter with his plans and junk

i liked all of cersei and tyrions interactions

i like gendry and arya

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Worth buying DVDs? Yes? No? I don't have regular cable, so I'd love to have a new series to watch on my DVD player while in the tub (What? I like the finer things in life. :P).

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Did the books ever specify Melisandre seducing Stannis like that? If she did, I don't ever remember actually reading about it. :monster:

Top Bottom