Game of Thrones

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Last episode was rather good, I must say, :monster:. Quarth and Harrenhal were both introduced and rendered rather fetchingly. And, off course, Melisandre's still fucked up, :monster:.

Also good to see Dany sorta-trying-but-not-really-succeeding to step up and be the boss, :monster:.

Also, YOU DO NOT WANT TO WAKE THE DRAGON!!

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Last episode was rather good, I must say, :monster:.

Ouch... Really?

Qarth scene was terrible. 'Derp... I can't pronounce 'Qarth' properly despite hearing it three times'. And Emilia Clarke's acting gets wobbly when she starts giving it large...and a crappy script didn't help.

Aidan Gillen's accent. Pick one already!

The new Mountain sucks. He doesn't look anywhere near as intimidating or buff as he should be. He should be filling out that hauberk but it seemed to be hanging off him. Such a shame the other guy bailed out. He was perfect.

I heard Joffrey's scene with the prozzies was goin' to be 'too shocking for TV'. Maybe if he suggested doing something else with that sceptre... but just beating her with it? Meh.

If it weren't for shadow babies, I could've done without that episode at all.

Almost half-way through and I think Season 2 has been a major step-down from Season 1. They've dedicated screen-time to dubious plot-lines, taken the narrative in strange directions, and the writing has been weak as all hell.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I heard Joffrey's scene with the prozzies was goin' to be 'too shocking for TV'. Maybe if he suggested doing something else with that sceptre... but just beating her with it? Meh.
yeah i was a little surprised by the beating noises at the end. i was pretty sure it was going to be a pear of anguish situation from the way they showed it could expand

(what sort of scepter does that anyways)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Honestly, as weak as some of the material is I haven't seen any real deviations from the plot that would be classed as dubious :monster:

I do think that the way they handled that section of the book made it look a lot like filler, though. No real progression in the plot besides
Tyrion getting a whole lot of shit done, dealing with Pycelle and whatnot

are you really complaining that beating up a naked woman with a barbed sceptre isn't enough

Also, I think Catelyn was really well-handled, a lot due to the fantastic acting by Fairley. She plays a strong-willed woman able to hold her own with a decent sense of honour, but at the same time
conveys the grief over her husband amazingly well
. Parallels with Cersei, but imo a million times more likeable as a mother.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
8T2eq.jpg

The only ones I don't think are completely dead-on are Daenerys, Renly, and Balon. Though in the former cases it's mostly because they aren't, well, evil, and Ron Paul isn't enough of a warmonger to be Balon. By which I mean he isn't a warmonger at all.

Last edited:

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
The (ending of) last episode... What the f*** did I just watch?

I seriously have to read the books. NOW!

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Honestly, as weak as some of the material is I haven't seen any real deviations from the plot that would be classed as dubious :monster:

Renly, Loras, Margaery LT (so pointless), Ros Ros ROS, Jeyne Westerling becoming "Talisa of Volantis", Dany begging at Qarth's gates, just about anything Littlefinger does.

Season 1 was a streamlined version of the first book.

Season 2 is just a mess.

are you really complaining that beating up a naked woman with a barbed sceptre isn't enough.

Yes. I'm a sick puppy and when I hear headlines like 'Joffrey's Sadistic Sex Scene: Did Game of Thrones Finally Go Too Far?', I have certain expectations. The 'beating' was off-screen anyway. If they're going to cut away, I'd rather they left us with a truly disturbing image. You know, since that was the whole point of the scene? Not that it really needed reinforcing that Joffrey's a psycho.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Renly, Loras, Margaery LT (so pointless),

it's not a love triangle at all

all three of them are big homos marg just realizes the political need for popping out a baby

i mean it's loras<3renly with marg as their bro lookin' out for them

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm shocked they didn't have a Tyrion/Ros scene last episode, since he picked her himself for Joff and he fucked her twice in Season 1.

After this episode, I'm starting to take back my position on "sweet extra scenes, guys!" I mean, it's clear that Storm's End just doesn't exist on the show, and that's fine, but with almost a full hour this season (cumulatively) devoted to Ros and tits, we could have been, you know, developing people like Roose Bolton who are fucking important and have been getting little to no screen time. Or Raff or the Tickler or Goddamn Davos, who is a PC but for some reason they haven't properly told us who the hell he is, and both him and Stannis mumble so his backstory is like:

"Why do you wear mumblefumble?"
"Reminds mumbledumble."
"Smugglumberdumble"
"Red woman."
"She has a name."
"Mumbledumble."

It's made worse by the fact that the actor who plays Davos makes me like the character way more than I did in the books. I want to see that actor on the screen, doing Davos-y things, talking about his backstory.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yes gosh

The backstory behind Davos Seaworth makes him a great character, and the actor makes him come alive. I want to see moar of that, I can tell they're trying to segue it in but imo it's not enough ;-;

Renly, Loras, Margaery LT (so pointless), Ros Ros ROS, Jeyne Westerling becoming "Talisa of Volantis", Dany begging at Qarth's gates, just about anything Littlefinger does.

Season 1 was a streamlined version of the first book.

Season 2 is just a mess.

The only thing I'd probably legimately agree with would be Ros and Littlefinger, everything else to me seems rather in-character, if yknawmean. They had established the Renly-Loras relationship, Margaery is just playing the role of scheming wife. Doesn't quite match the concept of a "love triangle" to me, anyway.

As for Danaerys, well she tries. I think it was still fairly in-character with what Martin had written - she's obviously leadership material but she has to make concessions just to stay alive, as she did in the books.
I'm more excited to see them cover the fantastic powerplay she does later on.

I thought Littlefinger would be definitely a little more subtle though. "Hey Cat I think it's fate that your husband was murdered so we could shack up after he died yeah"

lolo

also it's good to see Theon fleshed out a little more, starting to see him less as a self-entitled douchebag and more of a confused kid trying his darndest to impress his father.
Makes him a bit of a tragic figure.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Jeyne Westerling becoming "Talisa of Volantis"

So my suspicions were correct, :monster:. Obv, an angry war nurse amputating in the field is moar appealing to the US viewers than an anonymous woman w/ slight political implications. I mean, is GRRM actually okay with all the changes? :monster:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
When she showed up I was like "Who the fuck are you?" and then after about thirty seconds I was like "Oh god they're doing a Princess Jasmine thing... ugh."

She is moonlighting as a nurse, yah?

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I am appreciating Jon Snow more and more (in the book).

He is like the Zuko of Westeros.

What a princess.
they a r e

jon snow: but my honor--
zuko: DID SOMEBODY SAY HONOR???

Hisako

AKA
Was Jeyne really all that fleshed out as a character besides the fact that she was Robb's love interest, though? If she was, I must have skimmed over it because when I saw that scene in that episode I was just "oh hey that's Robb's future love interest coolsticks"

rather than "WHAT WHY THE FUCK DID THEY CHANGE THE CHARACTER FROM TEH BOOKS"

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
No she wasn't, that's kinda the point we're making, :monster:. They turned from an underwhelming, underdeveloped NPC (so to speak) into someone that actually has lines and personality. Which, yes, is a dramatic change, :monster:.

tbh, that was also my impression of Margery in the books; she's just, you know, there, doesn't say much in the books iirc.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
it's not a love triangle at all

Yes, it is. That isn't even up for debate. Margaery doesn't have to be crazy in love with Renly for it to denote a LT. The fact she's his wife makes it more than apt.

I do think having read the books has soured my enjoyment of this season to some degree (I know who lives & who dies, for example), but the flagrant drop in writing and direction is there for all to see. The show badly misses Ned... and his head.

Also, is Ros's actress pregnant? She seems in less of a rush to get her kit off this season and the actress does look a little plumper.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Yes, it is. That isn't even up for debate. Margaery doesn't have to be crazy in love with Renly for it to denote a LT. The fact she's his wife makes it more than apt.

threesomes =/= love triangles

that marg is renly's wife doesn't matter, what matters is that they're all perfectly okay with everyone screwing each other

anyways

i suspect they changed jeyne into random nurse-lady to avoid the lannister politics that accompanied her. doesn't really bother me, as the LIs only real purpose is to set up
the red wedding

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
but... they're mostly just giving backstory as to WHY she would be a virgin
past the time he died.
It was already implied in the books that he did favor Loras more than his wife, and all the things he did for her were out of what duty he could muster.

Was Jeyne really all that fleshed out as a character besides the fact that she was Robb's love interest, though? If she was, I must have skimmed over it because when I saw that scene in that episode I was just "oh hey that's Robb's future love interest coolsticks"
in the books it was like 'I AM JEYNE I AM NICE AND DEMURE I LIKE ROBB EVEN THO MY DAD IS A LANNISTER BANNERMAN and also we fuck a lot'

Hisako

AKA
i thought the Lannister aside was kinda cool tho ;-;

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
threesomes =/= love triangles

Love triangle:

A love triangle is usually a romantic relationship involving three people. While it can refer to two people independently romantically linked with a third, it usually implies that each of the three people has some kind of relationship to the other two. The relationships can be friendships, romantic, familial (often siblings), or even pre-existing hatred between rivals.

It's a love triangle. There's really no two ways about this.

but... they're mostly just giving backstory as to WHY she would be a virgin
past the time he died.
It was already implied in the books that he did favor Loras more than his wife, and all the things he did for her were out of what duty he could muster.

Margaery isn't a virgin in the show. Loras told Renly as much. It'd be difficult to get away with that, since Natalie Dormer is almost twice the age of Margaery in the books.

Top Bottom