General Anime Thread

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I will fight you on Blood Vengeance being worse than The Spirits Within

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Well, I just binged Attack on Titan, and loved it. I'll be checking out the OVA's tonight.

Has anyone here seen the live-action movie? Is it any good?

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Well, I just binged Attack on Titan, and loved it. I'll be checking out the OVA's tonight.

I haven't seen it, but I've been advised by several members on here to not watch it, if that helps. :awesome: I think it's more of its own thing, like the same premise as the anime/manga but takes the story elsewhere; less characterization and more focus on graphics?

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9

I haven't seen it, but I've been advised by several members on here to not watch it, if that helps. :awesome: I think it's more of its own thing, like the same premise as the anime/manga but takes the story elsewhere; less characterization and more focus on graphics?

Well, up until fairly recently, I wouldn't have even considered watching a live-action adaptation of an anime.

Then I saw the Kenshin movies, and was blown away by how good they actually were. I'll probably end up checking out the AoT movie. Might post a review on here.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I find it impossible to rank top 5 or 10 shows, it's mostly tinged with nostalgia or things I just watched.

I have to say though, my favorite of this year is definitely Kekkai Sensen. It's weird and wacky, and takes awhile to make sense, but it's perfectly directed, and all the strangeness only adds to perfect atmosphere. And all the characters are hugely fun.

A lot of the high energy woho-im-quirky shows can end up in mess (like Rolling Girls or Gatchaman). I'm going to watch Concrete Revolutiono and hope it turns out like Kekkai though.

Seriously the show has such great energy, just looking at the ending makes me smile.

But I haven't watched Parasyte yet (I read it years and years ago), or Fate/Stay Unlimited and I heard those were pretty good.

Other than that just for this year:

I really liked School Live even though the "cute girls do cute things" made me want to claw out my eyes, it just contrasts with the survival/horrorish aspect more. I was watching the first episode the entire way wondering why the fuck would anyone recommend this to me because I despise this genre and then the ending knocked me on my ass, I didn't expect it. The annoying cutesy moeish was a chore to go through but everything else was spot on.

Noragami's sequel was solid it. Noragami's nothing groundbreaking but it's tons of fun and delivers when it needs to. I'm surprised a lot people liked it though, it was only twelve episodes and so they had to blow through the two best arcs of the entire plot and they skimped so much of the characterization and the animation was shoddy, but I suppose that's because what was there was quality in these two arcs. It's a shame the pinnacle of the story wasn't handled better.

One Punch Man is One Punch Man. It offers nothing new, you've heard the jokes before, and it positively doesn't give a shit. This is where execution is the soul of comedy, I loved it.

I really liked Gate, mostly because the idea of mowing down dragons with artillery tanks is cathartic but maybe there's something wrong with me. Instead of the normal: magical creatures come to invade the real world and humans can't compete, it shows what happens really when medical magic is faces with modern technology. There's some other stuff, but that other stuff is moe waifu's so it isn't as fun.

Durarara: I like Durarara.

Overlord: I never thought I would like these guy gets trapped in an MMO stories but I guess I do. :/ Most people didn't like this one, but I enjoyed as brainless fun. Especially since the guy looks like skeletor, he is so OP it's almost comical, and he can win the hardest fights with cash item shops.

Gintama: I like Gintama.

tumblr_lrncainX931r3rjhlo1_r1_500.png

If we're going by shoujo them either Ore Monogatari!! or Akatsuki no Yona are the best of the season. The first is a straightforward shoujo but is just very well put together, and the friendship between the main character (which is a dude actually) and his best friend is actually the high point of the series. Meanwhile Yona actually has a point and goes through character development and plot, and is not a highschool slice of life rather than a journey after escaping a coup.
man I know I have really low standards of anime but Soul Eater only a 5? It's not Monster or anything but as far as shounen's go it's pretty solid. Fun world, fun characters, good action scenes. As far as straight shounen's go I'd rate it at the top. You even rated Kekkaishi higher, and I loved Kekkaishi, it's one of my nostalgic, criminally underrated shounens but I thought Soul Eater was better. And not better than Zoids even though Zoids was my shit growing up.

Nice list btw

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I find it impossible to rank top 5 or 10 shows, it's mostly tinged with nostalgia or things I just watched.

I have to say though, my favorite of this year is definitely Kekkai Sensen. It's weird and wacky, and takes awhile to make sense, but it's perfectly directed, and all the strangeness only adds to perfect atmosphere. And all the characters are hugely fun.

A lot of the high energy woho-im-quirky shows can end up in mess (like Rolling Girls or Gatchaman). I'm going to watch Concrete Revolutiono and hope it turns out like Kekkai though.

Seriously the show has such great energy, just looking at the ending makes me smile.

But I haven't watched Parasyte yet (I read it years and years ago), or Fate/Stay Unlimited and I heard those were pretty good.

Other than that just for this year:

I really liked School Live even though the "cute girls do cute things" made me want to claw out my eyes, it just contrasts with the survival/horrorish aspect more. I was watching the first episode the entire way wondering why the fuck would anyone recommend this to me because I despise this genre and then the ending knocked me on my ass, I didn't expect it. The annoying cutesy moeish was a chore to go through but everything else was spot on.

Noragami's sequel was solid it. Noragami's nothing groundbreaking but it's tons of fun and delivers when it needs to. I'm surprised a lot people liked it though, it was only twelve episodes and so they had to blow through the two best arcs of the entire plot and they skimped so much of the characterization and the animation was shoddy, but I suppose that's because what was there was quality in these two arcs. It's a shame the pinnacle of the story wasn't handled better.

One Punch Man is One Punch Man. It offers nothing new, you've heard the jokes before, and it positively doesn't give a shit. This is where execution is the soul of comedy, I loved it.

I really liked Gate, mostly because the idea of mowing down dragons with artillery tanks is cathartic but maybe there's something wrong with me. Instead of the normal: magical creatures come to invade the real world and humans can't compete, it shows what happens really when medical magic is faces with modern technology. There's some other stuff, but that other stuff is moe waifu's so it isn't as fun.

Durarara: I like Durarara.

Overlord: I never thought I would like these guy gets trapped in an MMO stories but I guess I do. :/ Most people didn't like this one, but I enjoyed as brainless fun. Especially since the guy looks like skeletor, he is so OP it's almost comical, and he can win the hardest fights with cash item shops.

Gintama: I like Gintama.

tumblr_lrncainX931r3rjhlo1_r1_500.png

If we're going by shoujo them either Ore Monogatari!! or Akatsuki no Yona are the best of the season. The first is a straightforward shoujo but is just very well put together, and the friendship between the main character (which is a dude actually) and his best friend is actually the high point of the series. Meanwhile Yona actually has a point and goes through character development and plot, and is not a highschool slice of life rather than a journey after escaping a coup.
man I know I have really low standards of anime but Soul Eater only a 5? It's not Monster or anything but as far as shounen's go it's pretty solid. Fun world, fun characters, good action scenes. As far as straight shounen's go I'd rate it at the top. You even rated Kekkaishi higher, and I loved Kekkaishi, it's one of my nostalgic, criminally underrated shounens but I thought Soul Eater was better. And not better than Zoids even though Zoids was my shit growing up.

Nice list btw

Soul Eater and a few others only got a 5 due to their nonsense endings.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Yay another person watched and loved Kekkai Sensen :joy:. I don't remember who I recommended it to in this thread but it's easily my highlight of 2015's anime. The music and overall tone to the show do it so much justice and it stands out as a classic before it's even halfway through.

Also it has two of the best OP and EDs I've ever heard ^_^

Splintered

unsavory tart
Soul Eater and a few others only got a 5 due to their nonsense endings.
Ah that makes sense. I actually heard how bad the ending was and avoided it, so I probably rated higher because of that.
Yay another person watched and loved Kekkai Sensen :joy:. I don't remember who I recommended it to in this thread but it's easily my highlight of 2015's anime. The music and overall tone to the show do it so much justice and it stands out as a classic before it's even halfway through.

Also it has two of the best OP and EDs I've ever heard ^_^
Seriously, every episode was amazing. It's great to see a show that you can clearly see how much fun they had making it. I didn't even know the guy from Trigun originally wrote it, but in a good way, it had it's own flavor. I think what they both did have was an amazing sense of atmosphere, the city has so much character and the characters themselves were brilliant. And the music is so varied and great.

Any shows you guys are thinking about trying out for next season?

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Just watched four of the AoT OVA's. The recap one was meh, but the Hange one and the hilarious cooking one were fantastic. Some of the best parts of the series so far. The one with the thieves in the woods was pretty good, but not on the same level as the previous two.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
<- Still on the search for a decent totoro bean bag ;.;

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana

Putting this here as Kekkai Sensen was easily my highlight of 2015s anime and the opening is one of my favourites of all time :monster:

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA

I want some subs for this trailer so bad o-O

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Found out there's a new Berserk something coming out this year. No word on if it's another movie or tv series or what, but it's apparently supposed to show Guts as the Black Swordsman, so that would most likely mean new footage of the manga being adapted?

While I'm excited at the idea of moar Berserk, I hope it's not going to be primarily CG like this trailer is. There's a couple seconds of anime face there in one shot, but most of it's CG. Maybe that's only for action scenes? Hope so.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
well, i have never been this excited...for as long as i have been alive, really.

the famous manwha, noblesse, is FINALLY, after EIGHT YEARS, getting an anime adaption by the great minds of kuroko no basket, psycho pass, cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell!

the news has been out since yesterday and i am still so very hyped.

it's only a 30 minutes ep, but i'm sure that this is just a marketing tactic to see who likes it and who doesn't. i'm pretty sure this will be a success, though, and i estimate it will be the next season of OPM. seriously, this manwha is AWESOME. i'm basically waiting for the green light of the next animation announcement, just like how i am for OPM. you don't need a confirmation - you just know it will happen.

Last edited:

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Oh shit. I used to love reading Noblesse way back in my early 20s but I stopped reading sometime after the Lukedonia Arc. What'd ya know, I'm looking forward to seeing it. And if M-21 is in it I'll probably fall back into my fangirling phase. It wont be pretty.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Oh shit. I used to love reading Noblesse way back in my early 20s but I stopped reading sometime after the Lukedonia Arc. What'd ya know, I'm looking forward to seeing it. And if M-21 is in it I'll probably fall back into my fangirling phase. It wont be pretty.

it definitely needs your attention. and yes 21's in it because it focuses on the first 70ish chapters.

the thing is most people complain that it's rushed but we believe this is, as i said before, just a marketing tatic to see if the audience likes it or not. it's been out for 2 days now and i'm happy to say it's getting more and more popular at a speed faster than i thought! maybe an actual season isn't too far away. when the manwha got published in japan in '14, my broter and i estimated that it would get an anime adaption in around 1-2yrs. now that's come true, maybe our prediction will be right one this one!

also shouldn't the title of the thread be changed now lol?

Last edited:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
the korean animation just came out 2 days ago and i consider it much better than IG's. but perhaps that's because animal wasn't forced to make a premise and then make fights - this one was sorely based off of the readers' knowledge of the book.

i still wish for a real season, nonetheless.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
So this guy systematically shredded the Sword Art Online openings

It's particularly gratifying because recently I've seen a lot of people going on about the SAO ops on reddit. He even goes over said reddit polls at the beginning of the video.
On top of that all of his videos are very well-made, so it's worth a watch if you've seen the series. :monster:

Top Bottom