General Anime Thread

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I'm about 10 episodes in to Akame ga Kill and loving it so far. It's been on my watch list for a while but couldn't find anywhere that streamed it (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc). Finally caved and got CrunchyRoll.

I'm in love with Leone

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I'm about 10 episodes in to Akame ga Kill and loving it so far. It's been on my watch list for a while but couldn't find anywhere that streamed it (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc). Finally caved and got CrunchyRoll.

I'm in love with Leone

Oh damn, I won't spoil anything but good luck! It's a good anime

I can't believe I have only just seen this thread, please tell me you guys are watching Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World this season, some of the best character writing I've seen since Monogatari, every single episode just leaves me wanting more.

I'm loving Kiznaiver as well, the latest episode gives me the feeling things are about to get a lot more serious.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness

I can't believe I have only just seen this thread, please tell me you guys are watching Re:ZERO

I've spoilt most of it by reading the wiki I also found out the anime
is classed as non-canon with the manga as people die in the anime who are alive in the manga

Re:ZERO is on my list I've seen and heard alot of good things on reddit and YouTube about it.

Splintered

unsavory tart

I'm in love with Leone

I can't believe I have only just seen this thread, please tell me you guys are watching Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World this season, some of the best character writing I've seen since Monogatari, every single episode just leaves me wanting more.

I'm loving Kiznaiver as well, the latest episode gives me the feeling things are about to get a lot more serious.
Re:Zero is my shit. I love it and I usually ignore the "guy gets stuck in a fantasy world, meta ensues." It's hilarious, brutal, and interesting all in one.

The other show I really enjoy watching is Kabeneri. Which really is an Attack on Titan rip off, but an extremely fun, well written AoT rip off, with great atmosphere and characters and even the technology makes more sense.

Also it has this

tumblr_o7gagtwn311rcufwuo2_500.gif

I actually might like it more than AoT, which is kind of sacrilege to say but there you go.

One of you guys kept recommending Boku no Hero. Thank you. It is wonderful and makes me smile.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I tried to watch Kabeneri and made it as far as the Big Smoke/Black Smoke, but I found certain parts of it really cliché and kind of ended up dropping it.

Like the part where the main girl character meets the guys from her past who says one thing to her so she goes bad for an episode until the hero saves her.

I should probably give it another go, but I find Kiznaiver and Re:Zero to be a lot stronger this season.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Gave up on Akame ga Kill giving the fact that
Everyone dies essentially and it's not cannon to the manga as people are still alive in that or hurt
. I've readead the wiki so I know what happens pretty much and didn't like the outcome of the final few episodes.

Started watching Nanatsu no Taiza (Seven Deadly Sins) again on Netflix. It's up there as one of my all time favorite Animes I've seen (it's a small list right now) would recommend both the dub and the sub as the VAs are awesome.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I loved Seven Deadly Sins, are we going to get a second season at all? The end definitely left it open for one.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I checked Anichart yesterday and it looks like we are getting 4 OVA episodes this summer \o/

Next season is looking a bit meh though, at least there will be RE: Zero and the second season of Shokugeki No Souma to watch. Oh and of course the new season of Berserk!!! RE:Life and Orange look interesting as well.

I guess you never really know until you watch the first couple of episodes with anime anyway, the weirdest stories can turn out to be brilliant and shows that sound like they will be amazing can turn out to be awful.

I started watching Sakamoto desu ga? yesterday, it's so funny, if you guys haven't watched it and are in a light hearted mood its definitely worth a watch.

Splintered

unsavory tart
New season looks like absolute shit, especially since I consider this season to be pretty strong. At least Re:Zero is continuing.

According to this article I randomly pulled off of google, it seems more than likely.
Nice. I'm in the mood for well adated shounens as of late, Boku no Hero kind of reignited the spark.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
This Season has definitely been strong, I usually find my self thinking each season is going to be shit until I watch the first few episodes and get a feel for the new shows.

Either way Berserk will be fucking brilliant, just that and RE:Zero running in tandem is enough for me, it's the summer so I will have less time to watch anime anyway. Although I'm sure there will be at least one random gem out of the lot, there usually is.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Re:Zero is my shit. I love it and I usually ignore the "guy gets stuck in a fantasy world, meta ensues." It's hilarious, brutal, and interesting all in one.
I've been watching Re:Zero as well and it's great, like you said with an odd mix of comedy, brutality, and mystery. It has a lot of potential for expansion, given that after the first season we've only been hinted at what's going on in this world. I find the main character to be very interesting, a very unusual guy but still very "human" (as opposed to main characters always seeming advantaged by their protagonist status), and I think he's quite under-rated (look at the merch, it's only about the cute girls!).
Looking forward to season 2 which is going to be right around the corner.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
All I know about Re:Zero right now is that there are two cute maid girls in it.

It's almost enough for me to start watching but somebody really ought to give me the extra nudge as to why I should watch it. :monster:

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
It's basically one of the best shows this year, just watch the first 3 or so episodes and you will be hooked. It's the first show that I watch as soon as it airs every week since You Lie In April I guess.

I've been watching Re:Zero as well and it's great, like you said with an odd mix of comedy, brutality, and mystery. It has a lot of potential for expansion, given that after the first season we've only been hinted at what's going on in this world. I find the main character to be very interesting, a very unusual guy but still very "human" (as opposed to main characters always seeming advantaged by their protagonist status), and I think he's quite under-rated (look at the merch, it's only about the cute girls!).
Looking forward to season 2 which is going to be right around the corner.

It's 25 episodes, we're not even halfway through yet :) But I have to agree about how well Subaru is written, he has a very fast tongue and really doesn't stick to anime clichés, the way he talks to the female cast members kind of reminds me a bit of a less perverted Aragi from Monogatari.

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
It's basically one of the best shows this year, just watch the first 3 or so episodes and you will be hooked. It's the first show that I watch as soon as it airs every week since You Lie In April I guess.

It's 25 episodes, we're not even halfway through yet :) But I have to agree about how well Subaru is written, he has a very fast tongue and really doesn't stick to anime clichés, the way he talks to the female cast members kind of reminds me a bit of a less perverted Aragi from Monogatari.
Yeah, I tend to consider a block of 12 episodes as a season, instead of viewing them as "half-a-season".

Anyway, Joe, there's much more to it than the cute maids. As Miscreant said, the main character doesn't follow the cliches, and the anime takes a bit of a unique take on the "guy gets teleported in a fantasy world" theme. It can be fun and lighthearted (with a good chunk of meta), and then pretty dark and serious on the next moment, while seeming seamless, so it's all pretty well executed (if I may say so :P ).

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish

Yeah, I tend to consider a block of 12 episodes as a season, instead of viewing them as "half-a-season".

Anyway, Joe, there's much more to it than the cute maids. As Miscreant said, the main character doesn't follow the cliches, and the anime takes a bit of a unique take on the "guy gets teleported in a fantasy world" theme. It can be fun and lighthearted (with a good chunk of meta), and then pretty dark and serious on the next moment, while seeming seamless, so it's all pretty well executed (if I may say so :P ).

I guess you have a point there, 12 episodes do usually span an actual season. I usually just go by how many are scheduled in one seamless block though, but then I guess that doesn't work for longer ongoing shows like Naruto etc as they don't really take breaks between seasons but use filler instead.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Love Leone but I love Kurome more.

I recommended this a while ago.

Boku No Hero Academia

Synopsis

There’s a new hero in town! From Studio BONES, the creators of Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy, comes My Hero Academia, a superhero origin story that soars to the top of the class.

Izuku has dreamt of being a hero all his life—a lofty goal for anyone, but especially challenging for a kid with no superpowers. That’s right, in a world where 80% of the population has some kind of superpowered “quirk,” Izuku was unlucky enough to be born completely normal. But that’s not going to stop him from enrolling in one of the world’s most prestigious hero academies. Now, the only thing standing between him and his first class is the academy’s formidable entrance exam—nothing a little private tutoring from the world’s mightiest hero can’t solve.

Via Funimation

It starts out slow however it becomes quite the run(I'm current with the manga). It was just got announced a few hours ago that the show will be getting a second season

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Gave Spice and Wolf a test run yesterday, and the first episode was quite enjoyable, so I bought the Blu Ray, and will be binging that on Wednesday.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Spice & Wolf is a brilliant anime, wish we could get a third season. Hope you enjoy it as much as i did.

I've been watching Steins;Gate this week, on ep19 now and really enjoying it I wasn't expecting it to get as dark as it has, it reminds me of The Butterfly Effect in some ways.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I've never binged anything as much as I did Steins;Gate. I'm pretty sure I finished that in two days. What a ride. :closedmonster:

Also in honor of me starting to watch Re:Zero, I'm changing the date on the thread to 2016. :awesome:

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
If I had enough time to binge watch it I would be all over it :D Still I've not done bad for having started on Saturday.

Top Bottom