God of War: Ragnarok

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Thanks for that, Leafylady.

It's more than one person; pretty much all of them. And I've already dug into it, there is no option or setting you can change to lessen that.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I can't remember the last time I've yelled "FUCK YOU!" at the TV so much in such a short period of time. This combat is CHALLENGING

Reactions: Wol

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
"STOP WITH THE STUPID CHIME!"
jameson-laugh.gif

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
If you’d told me Sindri would steal the show in this game even a week ago I’d probably laugh in your face. But he did! By god, he did. Even before Brok truly died I felt like they were doing something special with him.

The game itself is exceptional. Three weapons as Kratos, and I must say the spear is a welcome addition to his arsenal. I dare say I like it more than the axe! Being able to traverse the arenas with your weaponry feels amazing and the death from above attacks have such a satisfying oomph to them that I was actively climbing up ledges to hit them. The choice of having multiple shields at your disposal is also welcome, as although minor it changes the way you play.

This game is stuffed with emotional story moments, which I’d imagine shocks absolutely no one. The conflict and lack of trust between Kratos and Atreus is heavily present throughout practically the entire game, until the promise is made. Otherwise, the dream sequences with Faye, Fenrir being put down, Brok dying and Sindri making me forget I’m playing a video game immediately come to mind. Not even scratching the surface of what they do with Freya and the Aesir gods.

So, what’s next? My guess is a game that focuses on Kratos and Freya being Norse guardians, living in a post Ragnarok world and defending themselves against a foreign threat. Probably Egyptian. Loki and Angrboda begin their quest, and the game switches between these two plots.

“Loki will go. Atreus remains.”
Imo the best Kratos quote yet. So simple, but such an incredible moment. Even better than his hands of death and sisters of fate quote from GOW 3. Even thinking of that, the fact that they’ve taken Kratos from that to this is utterly remarkable. They did this perfectly.

Kratos, to be a loved god. Loved for the right reasons. They finally made the guy break! Multiple times!

All in all, this game improves on 2018 in pretty much every way. That’s all you can ask for a sequel to do, no?

I’ve tried putting a spoiler tag within a spoiler tag to no avail so I hope the title for this isn’t spoilers in itself, although post-game stuff is to be expected following the first game.

When Mimir finally solved Brok’s riddle it gave me shivers in my chest. When he said “a hole” my brain immediately went to in the heart due to Sindri’s state, was not expecting that callback.
I agree 100% with everything you posted (including the spear, what a genius weapon). I wanted to add a few things I really enjoyed.

First off, Thor and family. I LOVE that they made Thor such a wonderfully flawed character. Alcoholic, anger problems, has an abusive father? Fuck, take the godhood power out and he's just like an insane amount of regular people in the world. I really felt bad for him, because he wanted things to get better, but didn't think it was possible until right before his own father killed him.

Also the Tyr shit. FUUUUCK that got me good, completely out of left field. Phenomenal setup by the creative team, Jesus.

I don't think any game has made me tear up so much in such a short period of time. But pretty much from the time Brok got stabbed until the credits after his funeral, my eyes were averaging out to a slow trickle. Incredible story telling.

Freyr's death felt pigeonholed and pointless, tbh. It didn't have much impact. To be brutally honest, I think he was the character I connected with the least.

And Ironwood. There was such a buildup about it being this super secret place that Odin didn't know about, and then basically never mentioned again. Along with Angrboda, it feels like an entire chapter was edited out of the story. Like, why even go through all the trouble of making that area and character?

Still thoroughly enjoyed it, 10/10. I'll probably work my way through the side stuff eventually.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Sindri. Just... Damn, man. He and Brok always teleporting off-screen has been a staple since the first game. Even the other characters occasionally comment that they don't understand it. When he teleports away in full view of the camera right after Brok dies, my immediate thought was, "Oh. Oh, fuck." But from that moment on, Sindri just doesn't care anymore.
They were always the comic relief, there to laugh at or with, but never one to make me feel feelings, what the fuck? Plus Sindri almost instantly changes, from a complete germaphobe to still having his brother's blood on him at the funeral, days later. That man is completely and utterly broken, and it was portrayed so heartbreakingly well.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I got the platinum just there.

Absolutely incredible experience. I can't sing its praises enough. It felt super long but even now I want more lmao

Reactions: Wol

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
As in every case, all depends on the level of competency of everyone involved.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Weird choice, it'll adapt the Norse saga of the story, would've prefered they started with the Greek saga.
I dunno... I never got super into the original games ( I played 2 of them, I think?). They were largely forgettable, and not as story-driven so much as the the plot was there to justify murder sprees.

I think the current generation is much better at telling an impactful story that has more emotion than just "I'm so angry, I want to kill everything."

Reactions: LNK

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I think OG Gow would work better in a movie format, being an epic action-packed adventure and all. New Gow has more "material" to carry a 8h season.

Top Bottom