Good things about DoC

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Masashi Hamuzu's score for DoC is really awesome. I really, really love the tunes he composed. And Gackt's songs as well (I actually became a fan of Gackt after listening to Redemption and Longing).
Musically, I thought DoC pwns.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
DC had an amazing soundtrack.

If we keep pointing out how awesome the game actually is, Mako will have to concede soon that it's better than Crisis Core. :awesome:

DC had an amazing soundtrack.

If we keep pointing out how awesome the game actually is, Mako will have to concede soon that it's better than Crisis Core. :awesome:

Amazing soundtrack indeed. I have just about the whole thing on my MP3. I think I'm missing one or two of them.

I can't see Mako doing something like that, Tres.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Guys, I started the topic and I don't think Dirge is better than Crisis Core (not that mako isn't a fuckwit, of course). But it IS better than people give it credit for. Honestly pacing was its biggest problem, imo. The beginning is a lot of very long cutscenes and then none for awhile, then a bunch again at the end. They would have benefited from spreading them out a little more evenly. But it still doesn't change the fact that I find the simple gameplay rather addicting and the story, at its core, still pretty interesting. There was absolutely potential that was ignored, but it still wasn't that bad.

I was COMPLETELY unimpressed by the soundtrack the first time I played it. The second time though I picked up much more appreciation for it, it is pretty good. That said, it still boggles my mind that Vincent's theme isn't in the game. At least play in the Shinra Mansion!

Last edited:
Guys, I started the topic and I don't think Dirge is better than Crisis Core. But it IS better than people give it credit for. Honestly pacing was its biggest problem, imo. The beginning is a lot of very long cutscenes and then none for awhile, then a bunch again at the end. They would have benefited from spreading them out a little more evenly.

I've never really played CC, so, I'm not one to say which is really better. But, I've seen many people that played the game, so, I've heard mixed reviews. From what I've heard about CC from one of my friends, who's actaully played it, is that in the long run, it is better then DoC, but, it has it's faults, like every game... Just like DoC has a much better soundtrack, considering it was kinda short imo.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Late poast is late :wacky:

Anyway, I actually really liked Dirge of Cerberus very much. I'm usually in it for mainly the story, much less gameplay and/or percentage completion and all dat jazz but I still appreciate the latter. Vincent was a good character to get a story centered around him as, though he was once known more as an optional character, he still has the deepest and darkest history with ShinRa (aside from Cloud, perhaps arguably) and had the closest ties to Sephiroth's origins as well as Lucrecia.

Mind you, I don't necessarily think SE suddenly tacked on new canon to the FFVII storyline but moreso an attempt to fine-tune (and perhaps rewrite some) events already spoken of or alluded to from the original FFVII canon, as was done very well with Crisis Core, but for DoC, this seems to have been a bad turn-out, granted it was apparently a rushed and hastily run project. Regardless, was still fairly decent, if not good.

I love RPGs very much, but I srsly suck at playing through them XD and they take me FOREVAR to finish. For DoC, however, the 3rd-Person Shooter part of the game REALLY helped me big time (as I am pretty good at Shooter-types) and I got through it great and got a pretty good score on it.

Anyway, imho, the story was great, if not too well told, the new characters were cool (REALLY loved Shelke, and was NOT a "useless and meaningless" character, yoo iz an-idiot if you thought so :monster:) and ftr, the OST was EPIC WIN!!! I have the entire OST on my PC :joy:! Lastly, most awesomest scene EVAR: Vincent talkin to Cloud, Barret and Tifa on his cellphone. lmao

I rest my case

~ SoS

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You bastards are gonna pay for this.

And like hell DC is better than CC. :monster:

...but..the thing DC curbstomps CC in, is its soundtrack. That can't be denied. CC had some really good tracks and then some okay tracks. DC's soundtrack though is gold from beginning to end. It really was one of its true shining points.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
@ Mako, i actually thought CC's OST was pretty awesome, as well as DoC's. The only thing that nagged me about CC was the VERY often repeated themes re-used in different instrument riffs, which was a little annoying. XP

~ SoS

Last edited:

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
DC's soundtrack wasn't anything to cream over in my opinion. I've played Dirge twice and couldn't name you a single track I remember from it aside from Gackt's songs, and even then Longing is the only one I really liked. :monster: But for CC I could name you a bunch of tacks I loved to death.

Definitely agree that the gameplay was addicting. I wish I hadn't have gotten rid of my copy now, because this thread makes me want to play again it like really bad. :wacky:

mollymillions

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I generally agree with the OP about the good things in DoC. Beyond that, I'd say:

The Graphics, especially the FMV ones.
The Voice Acting for the most part.
Nero the Sable--Overall, a complex and interesting character.
Weiss the Immaculate--er, see above.

Actually, the Tsviests as a group proved pretty, er, intriguing. But, it's obvious who my favorites are.

I liked the secret ending with the exception of "G"'s VA.

The "Let's Play" of DoC

Some of the soundtrack.

The online story.

The sit down gun where you shoot a bunch of things. HEEE! Loved that.

DoC had a lot of potential, but frankly, that's all it generally was.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I liked DoC. I agree pacing was an issue, and not a minor one, but aside from that it was very nice. I didn't mind the gameplay at all, and never understood what everyone seemed to hate about it so much. You point the gun at someone, pull the trigger, they die, rinse repeat.

I do admit to making FOXHOUND jokes about the Tsviets. I might also have wondered why Vincent's inventory didn't come with a pack of smokes, and why getting the secret ending did not give me a bandana that bequethed upon me infinite ammo on the next playthrough.

I have but one question about DoC. How the hell did Rosso live through a fight with Cloud? I admit, she was fairly tough to beat as Vincent (I actually used a Limit Breaker and let Galian curbstomp her the first time) but going blade to blade against Cloud "I killed Sephiroth" Strife and coming away seemingly unscathed? I call bullshit on that.

And so you know Mako I can't compare CC and DoC since I have yet to play CC, and even if I had, I don't think you're a fuckwit. But I wanna fit in, so...

Yeah Mako's a fuckwit.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Camera angles were shit.
Lucrezia was ruined for me. She was made into a weepy little shithead...aaaand I didn't finish it :awesome:

La la la la....*skips away*

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Ruined for you? But we didn't really know how she was before. She was kinda weepy for the brief moment we saw her in FF7 too, you know.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Ruined for you? But we didn't really know how she was before. She was kinda weepy for the brief moment we saw her in FF7 too, you know.
Yeah, but sometimes more exposure kills the moment. Like it was drawn out. I loved the Lucrecia scene in FFVII because it felt tragic, but everything was tragic in DoC, it felt like they were trying to hard. Although, honestly I didn't mind Lucrecia too much. At least compared to Shelke and the other characters.

DoC was completely and utterly forgettable in my book, the story, the gameplay, the characters.

But I will admit, it was gorgeous. They spared no expense when it came to the cgi.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Well, in FFVII I got the impression Lucy was a tragic character, but a large part of that was her own making hence her eternal torment. DoC just painted her as the typical weepy victim. I didn't like it, tbh. I get it's their "official" version of the chara and all that, but I felt the two seconds in FFVII gave her more depth than the entire fucking game of DoC.

And yes, the cutscenes were awesome

ForceStealer

Double Growth
She was weepy, but no victim. She is every bit as guilty as Hojo, she eventually got a conscience whereas he never did, but we knew that already. As she tells Vincent herself, she was "sure" of what she was doing.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Well, to be honest, as a Vincent fan-girl, the best thing about Dirge of Cerberus was Vincent. :P Seeing a Final Fantasy VII related game in better graphics and being able to traverse that terrain was also a good thing, in my opinion.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
That kind of depends on one's perception of Vincent's character, in my opinion. Before I played Dirge he was one of my favorites, but I was rather underwhelmed by how they decided to (and failed to) expand on him. I liked their expansion on the origins of Chaos, but Vincent's story was basically just a longer drawn-out version of the flashback FF7 gives us in Lucrecia's cave.

I dunno. Just my opinion, but Vincent's portrayal in Dirge just kind of rubbed me wrong. Lucky for me I got over it :monster:

Top Bottom