Harry Potter and the Chitter of Chatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I remember it being awesome. I can't remember which translation I read the first time, but I've got Ciardi's for revisiting it. I don't expect the Purgatorio and the Paradiso to be as awesome, but I still want to read them just so I can say I've read them.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
I have a copy of Paradise Lost & Paradise Regained on my "list of poetical works to read when I can be arsed with poetry again" shelf, along with the Iliad and the Aeneid, which I've also never read. I also need to read Dante's Purgatorio and Paradiso, and I haven't read the Odyssey in like ten years so I should probably revisit that as well.

William Blake is probably my favourite poet, fwiw. Well apart from Shakespeare.

In terms of poets I go for Emily Bronte and Edgar Allen Poe but that's because I like dark material usually.

I have yet to read Milton actually, though I've heard that Paradise Lost is pretty good. So I need to read Milton, Dante's Inferno and Purgatory, and (if I cba) Eliot's Mill on the Floss which is incidentally on my Summer Reading List for English Honors this year. :awesome:

A

Great Old One
Inferno is the only interesting one tbh.
Ohaithar.

I have a copy of Paradise Lost & Paradise Regained on my "list of poetical works to read when I can be arsed with poetry again" shelf, along with the Iliad and the Aeneid, which I've also never read. I also need to read Dante's Purgatorio and Paradiso, and I haven't read the Odyssey in like ten years so I should probably revisit that as well.

William Blake is probably my favourite poet, fwiw. Well apart from Shakespeare.
Homer's writings are a good read too; and Edgar Allen Poe is also another one of my favorite author's/poets. I remember reading Tell Tale Heart, and I got nightmares for the next few weeks, :monster:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Leonardo Di Caprio?

:demands:

To be honest, I hated Sense and Sensibility, it's so overrated. And I found Huckleberry Finn to be more difficult than Finnegan's Wake, in terms of actually being able to understand what the author was trying to say to me.

:no: Sense and Sensibility isn't over-rated, it's actually Pride and Prejudice that gets the most attention out of all of Austen's works imho.

Twain is pretty confusing admittedly but I always thought he was trying to depict how life on the Mississippi River was or to be more general--how life in the South was at that time. Of course he explained this through Finn's life which was er pretty sad imo. It's a good book actually once you take the time to really sit down and read it.

And yes Leonardo DiCaprio! :rage:

A said:
Edgar Allen Poe is also another one of my favorite author's/poets. I remember reading Tell Tale Heart, and I got nightmares for the next few weeks,

:lol: Scaredy cat. Tell-Tale Heart isn't THAT scary.

Last edited:

A

Great Old One
:no: Sense and Sensibility isn't over-rated, it's actually Pride and Prejudice that gets the most attention out of all of Austen's works imho.

Twain is pretty confusing admittedly but I always thought he was trying to depict how life on the Mississippi River was or to be more general--how life in the South was at that time. Of course he explained this through Finn's life which was er pretty sad imo. It's a good book actually once you take the time to really sit down and read it.

And yes Leonardo DiCaprio! :rage:
I'm not a big fan of Pride and Prejudice either; I really enjoyed Emma, however.

And cba, I have better books to read as of now, :awesome: James Joyce is a far better author than Mark Twain.

And no, Leonardo Di Caprio can go shove himself in a trash can.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I need to get that volume of Poe's collected poetry & fiction that B&N sells for $13. He was a huge influence on Lovecraft, who's also fairly awesome.

And with Finnegans Wake you can get a vague sense of the feelings Joyce is trying to convey easily, but as for plot? forget it, scholars are still debating what exactly it all means :monster: It makes me wish I were as much of a polyglot as Joyce was, to incorporate 70+ languages into his work.

null.

Pro Adventurer
For some reason Emily Dickenson always creeped me out more than Poe.

And I can't stand Twain's vernacular style.

A

Great Old One
I need to get that volume of Poe's collected poetry & fiction that B&N sells for $13. He was a huge influence on Lovecraft, who's also fairly awesome.

And with Finnegans Wake you can get a vague sense of the feelings Joyce is trying to convey easily, but as for plot? forget it, scholars are still debating what exactly it all means :monster: It makes me wish I were as much of a polyglot as Joyce was, to incorporate 70+ languages into his work.
Bleh, I don't like Lovecraft to be honest, :monster:

That's why you enroll for a class dedicated solely for the book for three months. :wacky:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
I'm not a big fan of Pride and Prejudice either; I really enjoyed Emma, however.

And cba, I have better books to read as of now, :awesome: James Joyce is a far better author than Mark Twain.

And no, Leonardo Di Caprio can go shove himself in a trash can.

Lmao, alrighty. Oh I want to read Emma it seems pretty interesting.

*is rereading The Tell Tale Heart* :lol:

no u. Leonardo is smexy, get over it. :awesome:

@The Man: Ew Lovecraft scares the crap out of me tbh. I seriously swore he was crazy. I mean he LOOKEd crazy. Half of his work either scares me or just plain traumatizes me for some reason. He, The Strange House in the Mist, and The Dunwich Horror are just some of the few that gives me goosebumps. *cringes*

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Bleh, I don't like Lovecraft to be honest, :monster:
Lovecraft was racist and had some other rather appalling political views, but I like his conception of the sheer vast scope of the universe and Mankind's basic aloneness within it, and the sociological constructions in tales like At the Mountains of Madness are nothing short of fascinating. I always got the impression that Douglas Adams's Total Perspective Vortex was inspired by the aesthetic effect of reading Lovecraft.

That's why you enroll for a class dedicated solely for the book for three months. :wacky:
I wish one of those existed somewhere near where I lived tbh. Though a course devoted solely to Gravity's Rainbow or Underworld would be even moar awesome rly.

A

Great Old One
For some reason Emily Dickenson always creeped me out more than Poe.

And I can't stand Twain's vernacular style.
Emily Dickinson creeps me out too, but if I had to choose who creeped me out the most, it would probably be Sylvia Plath.

And agreed.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Restaurant at the End of the Universe is always worth referring to rly.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Emily Dickinson creeps me out too, but if I had to choose who creeped me out the most, it would probably be Sylvia Plath.

And agreed.

Lol, so I take it you've read The Bell Jar then? :)

Oh gods Emily Dickinson isn't creepy. Are you mad, she's awesome. The Secret and Rouge et Noire are among some of my favorites of her work.

A said:
Leonardo is not sexy.

omgz i'll fight u. :rage:

he's smexy. case and point.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I wouldn't describe Dickinson or Plath as creepy. Just incredibly morbid. To the extent that they make me seem like a cheerful person.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
I wouldn't describe Dickinson or Plath as creepy. Just incredibly morbid. To the extent that they make me seem like a cheerful person.

Given the fact that Dickinson was ridiculously secluded, I could sort of see why she was so morbid--she had waaaaaaay too much to think. Plath--well again her own personal experiences resulted in her work being . . . for lack of a better word dark in my opinion. Daddy for instance is pretty darn morbid if only for the visuals it creates in one's minds.

"You do not do, you do not do
Any more, black shoe
In which I have lived like a foot
For thirty years,"

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I like Virginia Woolf as well; I'd have to choose her out of Dickinson or Plath.
I haven't read any Woolf either; she's also on my long list of authors I need to read.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
:@ You suck.
yeah D; which of her works is the best? Not that I'll likely get to it anytime soon since I still own literally a hundred books I haven't read yet, and intend to read moar of them before purchasing moar.

Given the fact that Dickinson was ridiculously secluded, I could sort of see why she was so morbid--she had waaaaaaay too much to think. Plath--well again her own personal experiences resulted in her work being . . . for lack of a better word dark in my opinion. Daddy for instance is pretty darn morbid if only for the visuals it creates in one's minds.

"You do not do, you do not do
Any more, black shoe
In which I have lived like a foot
For thirty years,"

Wasn't Plath bipolar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom