Status
Not open for further replies.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
OH PLEASE, DICAPRIO CAN STICK IT. :@

That's still not as hot.

OMGZ! You know what forget DiCaprio for a minute.

Let's pull out the big guns since you wanna play dirty. :rage:

hugh-jackman-wolverine-movie-01.jpg
:awesome:

hugh_jackman.jpg
:wacky:

HughJackmanWolverine.jpg
:excited:

Now he could give Gerard a definite run for his money. It's undisputed. He could just stick his blades right into Butler's pretty-boy face.

A

Great Old One
OMGZ! You know what forget DiCaprio for a minute.

Let's pull out the big guns since you wanna play dirty. :rage:

hugh-jackman-wolverine-movie-01.jpg
:awesome:

hugh_jackman.jpg
:wacky:

HughJackmanWolverine.jpg
:excited:
[/spoiler]

Now he could give Gerard a definite run for his money. It's undisputed. He could just stick his blades right into Butler's pretty-boy face.
OH PLEASE, THAT'S NOT AS BUFF AS GERARD IN 300. :@

gerard-butler-300-3.jpg

300-gerard.jpg

GBGALS300spear.jpg

That's right! :rage:

Sorry to hear about that. :kiss:
I don't need your sympathy, just your friendship. :monster:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
What the hell is that?! :rage:

BradPittAchilles001.jpg

17125__troy_l.jpg

brad_pitt_troy_abs.jpg

Look at Brad Pitt's scrumptious abs from when he was in Troy. He even looked smexy when he was all muddy and crap. Rawr. Come on, you know want some of that. :wacky:

A

Great Old One
What the hell is that?! :rage:

BradPittAchilles001.jpg

17125__troy_l.jpg

brad_pitt_troy_abs.jpg

Look at Brad Pitt's scrumptious abs from when he was in Troy. He even looked smexy when he was all muddy and crap. Rawr. Come on, you know want some of that. :wacky:
Ew, no, I hate Brad Pitt. D: <

Anyway I'm off, g'nite everyone :monster:
Night V, have nice dreams, :monster:

That's epic shit, right there - I love the cracks on her face.
Why thanks - I'm planning to make her now look like a zombie. :awesome:

I'm off too, g'night everyone. :monster:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I don't need your sympathy, just your friendship. :monster:
It's very rare that I actually applaud a post. But I did just that here. Feeling bad for someone, or even sympathy, are totally useless and unnecessary. So yus, good stuff.

@ literary discussion: I was reading all that, wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned Homer or Dante. But still no mention of Euripides or Sophocles? For shame.

To authors, also add Hurston and Achebe, and Paolo Lins. City of God/Ciudade de Deus was fucking epic. And someday I'll actually get around to reading the several dozen books I need to get to: Don Quixote, Paradies Lost (I hear Milton's not as good as people make him out to be?),Canterbury Tales, Beowulf, The Tale of Genji, et. al.

And shame on you, Alise, for being a RDJ fan and mentioning Sherlock Holmes, but then forgetting how epic it is as a read =/

Also, Maurice Leblanc is extremely valid. Better than Conan Doyle, imo.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
...fuck you, insomnia.

I remember quite liking Things Fall Apart, but haven't read it in like 10+ years. I don't remember Hurston at all; I read Their Eyes Were Watching God probably thirteen years ago but wasn't really old/knowledgeable about history enough to get all the social commentary. Never read any Paolo Lins and my literacy with respect to Greek theatre is sorely lacking. I'd probably care moar about the latter if I didn't hate reading works in translation.

Though speaking of authors in translation, I neglected to mention Jorge Luis Borges and Roberto Bolaño, both of whom are absolutely awesome. I should read Goethe and Thomas Mann one of these days as well.

A

Great Old One
Not exactly. Being cold about it is far worse than sensitivity, although you're right that feeling bad for someone doesn't exactly do anything.

I enjoyed, "The Red-Headed League," but I admit that I haven't read all of Doyle's short stories. I have to do when I cba.

Paradise Lost was brilliant.

And Christie is better than LeBlanc and Doyle combined.

...fuck you, insomnia.
Oh, and this too.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I remember quite liking Things Fall Apart

Never read any Paolo Lins
My respect for you increased twice; once for having READ TFA, and again for liking it. That was the book I wrote about for the essay portions of the AP English Lit. test back in high school. Rocked a fucking perfect score of five with that shit. TFA is absolutely amazing.

Paolo Lins wrote City of God (aka "Ciudade de Deus"). It's the only book of his that I've read, but it's absolutely amazing. If you've seen the movie, then you know how excellent the movie is. The book, believe it or not, blows the movie way the fuck out of the water, on the level of, say, Shakespeare, The Iliad/Odyssey, etc, versus Twilight.

The translations aren't bad at all, really. Also, good choice on Ciardi's translation of The Commedia. I've got two copies of his trans. of Inferno, and then the trio as well (sadly, in paperback, because you bastards didn't have it in hardback; literally, as I got it at B&N :monster:).

Still working my way through The Iliad at the moment, myself. Cba to really do much reading outside of work, and we've been busy lately, so I'm stuck at the beginning of book...thirteen, I think? :( "Fighting Amongst the Ships" - Hector just fucked up their wall :D

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Not exactly. Being cold about it is far worse than sensitivity, although you're right that feeling bad for someone doesn't exactly do anything.

I enjoyed, "The Red-Headed League," but I admit that I haven't read all of Doyle's short stories. I have to do when I cba.

Paradise Lost was brilliant.

And Christie is better than LeBlanc and Doyle combined.

Oh, and this too.
No, I mean that I despise sympathy. EMPATHY is another matter entirely. Sympathy or just feeling bad doesn't help the person, where empathy will, because it helps them connect to another human being - it makes them aware, even if it's only on a subconscious level, that they're not alone. As I've said once or twice before to people - "I neither want nor need your pity or sympathy, but I'll gladly accept your comfort and empathy".

I just mean in general. Failure to mention Holmes r bad =/ (doesn't help that I've read all of the Holmes stories :P)

I've had it sitting on my shelf since I got it D:

BULLCRAP. Arsene Lupin > Holmes > Christie. Lupin stole Holmes' fecking watch off of his arm without him realizing it...then sent it back to him with a note. Guy's a total badass.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I've seen about half of City of God. I need to finish watching it someday. And yeah I should read the book too then, but that'll take way longer. And I refuse to believe that the book will make the film look like Twilight compared to Shakespeare, because there's nothing that will make the film look bad :monster:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
It's less that it makes it look BAD...just that, by comparison, the film is utter shit.

And I say this as someone who happened to catch the movie one night on IFC and couldn't move for the next hour and a half even though I had to pee very badly, then later bought the movie, bought the book, read the book, and then watched the movie again. Yeah, the movie's crap by comparison. Another adequate comparison? Any non-Iron Man/Batman Begins/TDK comic movie.

God I wish I could read the book again. Four hundred odd pages of amazing. It's somehow MORE violent and graphic than the movie, and there's a bit that even made ME squirm, but zomg. Probably the best book I've ever read, srsly.

Unfortunately, I lent/gave Lorena my copy when we were still dating. :sadpanda:

Speaking of which...Kahlil Gibran has a lot of good stuff, too. I've only read The Prophet so far, but I started another of his books as well, which is equally good.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Poirot > Holmes > Rouletabille > Lupin
wat

Points for the mention of Poirot, however.

I need more Lupin books. I only have two, and the second one has a shitty translation D:

Tiff is sick :(

A

Great Old One
I'd like to read the original of Leroux's, The Mystery of the Yellow Room, but my French is still not as good as I'd like it to be. The English version was a shitty read.

Oh hi there Mei.

crack

Donator
Concerning Leroux: I hate Webber's adaptation of the Phantom. I mean, seriously, he's supposed to have a full face mask on.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I like Webber's adaptation musically, but as far as faithfulness to the original goes it leaves quite a bit to be desired :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom