Harry Potter Romance discussion thread (Split from LTD)

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
TBH, even though I saw H/G since book 5 - even though I didn't ship anything in HP - I think the pairing sucks because it exists in some way in Rowling's head and she is NOT describing how awesome it is in her head, but rather skips what can make it interesting.
See, I just wanted to see Ginny do something strong and cool so that we could see 'oh yeah, Harry likes her because of how awesome she is'. Not just flying her broom into a commentator cause she disagrees with him. Like actually defending a friend from someone picking on them, like chewing out some bullies picking on Luna. Then I could see why it'd be a lasting pairing, not just 'Harry think girl pretty, get mad when she kiss other boys!' mentality that was the chest monster in HBP.

Basically, I tend to think relationships based off of possessiveness and rampant jealousy tend to not last terribly long because it's based off of the drama of having a particular girl/boy. We actually see Ron and Hermione getting over their insane jealousy for each others relationships to get together in the end. With Harry and Ginny we get firewhiskey kisses because she's worried he'll hook up with some other girl on his journey and he doesn't even offer words of sympathy cause one of her closest siblings dies at the end.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of Harry/Ginny seems to revolve around HARRY!HARRY!HARRY! and Ginny has to stand back to the point that we never get to see her do anything awesome.

The way the whole love/ships evolved in HP I always thought JKR just hated shippers and thought she could end the debates by saying without a doubt who's with who.

Sadly no one told her how shippers work. :awesome:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
to be honest I was more pissed about how Neville ended up with Hannah Abbot and was like 'JFC THE LADY WHO THOUGHT SIRIUS BLACK WAS A FUCKING BUSH? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?'

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I am more just concerned if extras in the movie were like 'OH THAT GINNY GIRL IS HOT STUFF' or if we actually see her do something cool and badass. because if it's the latter, I'm fine with it and that sounds awesome enough to rent from netflix.

If you want to know what it is, it's just
her asking Harry to zip up her dress, followed by a fairly brief snogging scene that ends with George making hilarious facial expressions.
And that's it for the entire movie.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
to be honest I was more pissed about how Neville ended up with Hannah Abbot and was like 'JFC THE LADY WHO THOUGHT SIRIUS BLACK WAS A FUCKING BUSH? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?'

Neville/Luna clearly should've been the outcome. Rowling really screwed the pooch on that one.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Нестор Махно;301460 said:
Neville/Luna clearly should've been the outcome. Rowling really screwed the pooch on that one.
yeah, after she decided that she says she could see why people liked Neville/Luna and thought maybe she should have made that the outcome but she thought it was too neat and it's like 'oh, okay, so you put him with a certifiably mentally disabled woman and you put her with a character no one has heard of. good job there'

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
yeah, he said so around when he was filming book 5 that they had a special relationship

http://www.hpana.com/news.19721.html

and oh my god ryu you get so offended over every little thing.

Nope, your internet mind reading powers are not functioning, for I was in no way offended when I wrote my little jab back about your poor use of 'No U.' Maybe you've mistuned your tinfoil hat antennae?

everyone knows that no u is the ultimate argument in a debate. it is in no way actually related to you. stop bawwwing and grow a pair bro

Pot, Kettle, Black, Aki.
As for 'No U' being the ultimate argument, I apparently missed the memo that debates were now just a variation of Rock Paper Scissors where Hydrogen Bomb beats the other three. Silly me, I thought you still had to make cogent points in an argument. What WAS I thinking.

Anyways, it's all moot, because Grangersnape is the best pairing ever and that's that. :awesome:

Normal timeline or time travel versions? And which is creepier?

oh and on topic blah blah cloti clerith canon wat

For the record, if this tangent continues much longer, I WILL be splitting it into its own thread, to forestall any of the bawwing that happened last time

TBH, even though I saw H/G since book 5 - even though I didn't ship anything in HP - I think the pairing sucks because it exists in some way in Rowling's head and she is NOT describing how awesome it is in her head, but rather skips what can make it interesting.

The foundation of their inevitable pairing was laid down as early as the first book, but yes, Rowling absolutely stunk at depicting it in any readable fashion.

As for Ron and Hermione, obvious pair was obvious, and may I add, actually very akin to how stupid teenagers in love are - the whole "I love you me neither" is a prime example.

As they are two stupid teenagers in love, it's more than merely 'akin.' It is.

I still say the most interesting thing in HP was the world, some characters and the plot. But it always looked to me that the "love" aspect of the plot felt forced and thus, not interesting.

The interesting thing about the world is how it hasn't collapsed in on itself yet. IIRC, more people attend UNC than there are wizards in Britain. There are more students in a few square miles on any given day in my city than there are in all of London, or even England.

See, I just wanted to see Ginny do something strong and cool so that we could see 'oh yeah, Harry likes her because of how awesome she is'. Not just flying her broom into a commentator cause she disagrees with him. Like actually defending a friend from someone picking on them, like chewing out some bullies picking on Luna. Then I could see why it'd be a lasting pairing, not just 'Harry think girl pretty, get mad when she kiss other boys!' mentality that was the chest monster in HBP.

Basically, I tend to think relationships based off of possessiveness and rampant jealousy tend to not last terribly long because it's based off of the drama of having a particular girl/boy. We actually see Ron and Hermione getting over their insane jealousy for each others relationships to get together in the end. With Harry and Ginny we get firewhiskey kisses because she's worried he'll hook up with some other girl on his journey and he doesn't even offer words of sympathy cause one of her closest siblings dies at the end.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of Harry/Ginny seems to revolve around HARRY!HARRY!HARRY! and Ginny has to stand back to the point that we never get to see her do anything awesome.

The books as a whole revolve around HARRY!HARRY!HARRY! and not just because it's a POV book.

The way the whole love/ships evolved in HP I always thought JKR just hated shippers and thought she could end the debates by saying without a doubt who's with who.

Sadly no one told her how shippers work. :awesome:

And that you need to stake 'em, behead 'em, and burn 'em to keep them down.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Nope, your internet mind reading powers are not functioning, for I was in no way offended when I wrote my little jab back about your poor use of 'No U.' Maybe you've mistuned your tinfoil hat antennae?

Pot, Kettle, Black, Aki.
As for 'No U' being the ultimate argument, I apparently missed the memo that debates were now just a variation of Rock Paper Scissors where Hydrogen Bomb beats the other three. Silly me, I thought you still had to make cogent points in an argument. What WAS I thinking.
protip: if you didn't treat posts like that as such serios buisnes, people wouldn't think you were offended

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Normal timeline or time travel versions? And which is creepier?

Normal timeline, usually with Snape surviving the 7th book in a very plausible if technically AU fashion is still in denial over his death.

As for creepy, if you account for wizarding lifespans being double that of muggles, he's 10 years older than her, which isn't enough to bother me (provided Hermione is of age). Significant age gaps have never really bothered me in shipping (yay Yuffentine :awesome:) provided both characters are adults.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Нестор Махно;301469 said:
protip: if you didn't treat posts like that as such serios buisnes, people wouldn't think you were offended

I daresay your sarcasm detectors are failing my good man.

Normal timeline, usually with Snape surviving the 7th book in a very plausible if technically AU fashion is still in denial over his death.

As for creepy, if you account for wizarding lifespans being double that of muggles, he's 10 years older than her, which isn't enough to bother me (provided Hermione is of age). Significant age gaps have never really bothered me in shipping (yay Yuffentine :awesome:) provided both characters are adults.

Well, she's Not Of Age during the series, and that him being her teacher are why it's megapedocreepy. The time travel storylines are creepy for entirely different reasons (usually making Hermione the creeper, which I find an interesting twist, personally, if completely OOC).

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
HP had no heroine, only a hero (THANK GOD).

.......sideyeing you rn

also i figured ron/hermione being obvious and all a part of JKR's ~big plan~ would have meant they would have been built up better, but no. the "i like you but i have to make you feel like shit to hide my feelings" got old by book 3, and then out of nowhere ron develops sensitivity by reading chicken soup for the wizard soul. the fuck is that, i wanted to toss my book across the room almost as bad as when sirius died.

hermione should have married krum or some random scholar or something.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
itt: ryu bawws because he doesn't get the internet and i play the worlds tiniest violin for him

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
itt: ryu bawws because he doesn't get the internet and i play the worlds tiniest violin for him

Your psychological projection, while quite amusing, reveals more about your own character than it accurately reflects my own, old bean.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Your psychological projection, while quite amusing, reveals more about your own character than it accurately reflects my own, old bean.
cool story bro

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I have no logic or witty rejoinder with which to continue this trading of barbs and so admit my defeat by my reliance upon a tired meme

I mean really, at least have the common decency to put effort into this. I go through the trouble of slaving over a hot internet putting on my foppish hat and oversized moustache to make overblown wodehousian ripostes, and all you can muster are the long discarded memetic cast offs of another?

Sometimes, Aki, I wonder if you still take pride in your work any more, because it really feels like you're just phoning it in.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Maybe Ryu should use his powers of serious moderation to split this conversation into it's own topic?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
There you go again, Joe, presuming I'm being serious. Silly monkies. That was your first mistake.

Again, I repeat, your internet mind reading powers fail you. Adjust your tinfoil.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I was merely referring to the fact that you are engaging in an off-topic discussion, and by your own standards it needs to be put into it's own topic. No presumption necessary but good job doing that yourself. :awesome:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
idk if i have a rly bad hangover or if im still lsightly drunk but dis thread started to make my head hurt in the past few pages

anyways all the cool niggas know that aki/looney/winter luna/hermione/ron is harry potter's true otp

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
hey

news flash

nobody cares

now back to the HP pl0x

draco/hermione y/n?

edit: not directed at you, looney, btw. and L/H/R kinda blows my mind. I'm not sure if it's blown in a good way or a bad way but it's definitely blown.

Top Bottom