Harry Potter Romance discussion thread (Split from LTD)

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
starkid.png

Damn I need to watch this again.

Also, @thread: anyone else here ship Remus/Tonks before book 6.
no, but i did ship sirius/tonks

GO AHEAD, JUDGE ME.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Well you said Greek, which is why I provided the wiki links. Unless you weren't talking about Ancient Greek, in which case that was just a misunderstanding.

I realize the words are often used interchangeably, and most of the time this doesn't matter because the protagonist is also the hero, but if you're going to claim the two people who practically carry Harry's ass around for him aren't also heroic characters, then... yeah I have to say something. It's like saying FFVII had no heroine just because Cloud's the main character.

Side note: I would argue that though FF7 had two heroines, it had no classic hero until the end, its last hero having just died, its new hero having not risen.

good god my english teacher is weeping somewhere

do people not realize villain protagonists exist? that does not make them heroes ffs

It's also possible to have Heroic villians, though. It's a very fine line, but it can be done.

What we call a "hero" in real life vs. what we call a hero in drama/fiction are two different things. In fiction, a character need not be heroic to be labeled as such. Zack is not FFVII's hero despite being the most heroic of them all.

Put another way, he's A hero, but not the story's hero.

does that mean alex from a clockwork orange is a hero now

because wow

So wait, even though there are specific literary terms to explain the character's role in a story (protagonist, focus character, hero, narrator, etc) we don't need these labels because?

This entire post confuses me.

Well, some people do see Alex from CO as heroic, but he's also the 'hero,' yes, depending on the particular definition used.

Dr. Horrible is a villain protagonist and his rival is Captain Hammer, a heroic antagonist. Artemis Fowl's rival Holly is heroic, but she is not a protagonist.

There just seem to be so many things wrong with this sentence I'm not quite sure if I should start listing anti-examples or what.

Captain Hammer isn't a hero, though. And despite his job in mad science and heist pulling, Dr. Horrible isn't just our protaganist, he is presented to us as the hero, as not just being understandable, but better than Captain Hammer.
Captain Hammer and Dr. Horrible may be Super hero and villian respectively, but their narrative heroism and villainy are the reverse. Because Captain Hammer isn't heroic. He's a narcissistic self serving asshat.
As for Fowl vs Holly, Holly is heroic, but not the hero. Fowl is.

Largely, though, I think this is boiling down to a butter side up vs butter side down.

Also, did someone say sorting scarf?
tom.jpg

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Also, @thread: anyone else here ship Remus/Tonks before book 6.

ugh no I hated Remus/Tonks. It almost ruined the characters for me.

In fact, I felt the same way about Snape/Lily COME AT ME BRO.

no, but i did ship sirius/tonks

GO AHEAD, JUDGE ME.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE OMG.

but everyone really knows...

Sirius/Remus

Canon :awesome:

In fact, since JKR seemed to want to include a gay character, it would have made far more sense to just make S/R canon. They had the perfect set up and may as well have been canon already. Idk, I would've liked it better than the "Dumbledore is gay" revelation that happened in an interview of all places.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
In fact, since JKR seemed to want to include a gay character, it would have made far more sense to just make S/R canon. They had the perfect set up and may as well have been canon already. Idk, I would've liked it better than the "Dumbledore is gay" revelation that happened in an interview of all places.
yeah why not just have him mention it offhand in the book? No, we have to wait until she says in a side interview oh yeah, dumbles is gay imagine that.

yeah why not just have him mention it offhand in the book? No, we have to wait until she says in a side interview oh yeah, dumbles is gay imagine that.

Cause that whole thing totally didn't seem like a grasp for people to talk about her again because the final book was out.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
ugh no I hated Remus/Tonks. It almost ruined the characters for me.

:kermit:

In fact, I felt the same way about Snape/Lily COME AT ME BRO.
I liked them :sadpanda: It was a painfully obvious pairing from early on, though.

In fact, since JKR seemed to want to include a gay character, it would have made far more sense to just make S/R canon.
I don't even usually ship yaoi pairings but tbqh S/R would have made a lot of sense.

Idk, I would've liked it better than the "Dumbledore is gay" revelation that happened in an interview of all places.

Cause that whole thing totally didn't seem like a grasp for people to talk about her again because the final book was out.

To be fair to JKR, she was asked a direct question about whether Dumbledore had ever been in love, or something like that. It's not like she called a press conference just to say HEY GUYS DUMBLEDORE WAS IN LOVE WITH GRINDELWALD IS GAY LOOK AT MEEEEE.

Though that certainly doesn't mean she didn't see the question and subsequent answer as a convenient way to get more publicity. :monster:

Top Bottom