Highlights from Famitsu

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Finally was able to get to fully reply to this, forgive the delay, I finally was able to sit and type. :mon:

Where did they say that Zack's pride passed to Genesis? I'm not finding it.

Sorry, in my haste of drafting my reply, I kinda muddled the concept. I meant, Zack enabled Genesis to regain his pride.

Could, not would. You're determined to miss that, aren't you? =P

As for why else they might point out that he isn't necessarily malevolent? Well, he probably isn't since he's become a new protector of the planet -- but not malevolent doesn't mean not a threat.

LOL, not "determined" per se but I won't deny I'm more inclined to see what the creator's said as the outcome, but you're right there is some ambiguity there. However, even with it just being a possible interpretation, I can't help but feel like they threw that point in there purposefully as a means of clarifying how they intended to wrap up Genesis, not lead up to further use of him. However, yes. It's not quite set in stone.

And while it's true when speaking about certain protectors of the planet, that a lack of malevolent intent doesn't necessarily preclude danger, I honestly meant more generally, as in Genesis not being an antagonist or opposing actor towards humanity. Although I know you find such an outcome hard to believe given his actions, I was meaning I don't think Genesis would be a player who'd antagonize humanity, on behalf of the planet or otherwise.

While it's said he wishes to protect the Planet, I interpreted it to mean that it also included humanity itself. Given he's a SOLDIER and their mission (at least to the public) was protecting the people, I feel like him regaining his pride would result in the reawakened sense of purpose of being a hero, like he had when to be when he first joined SOLDIER. When he was younger, he wanted to be that kind of hero and in a weird sorta way upon having his dream come true through Zack, it looked as if Genesis was able to regain a part of his old self. That, coupled by the creator's words, is what makes me think this.

Not that this suddenly absolves him of all the terrible shit he did, but it at least points him towards a path of Redemption, rather than continued villany, like Sephiroth.

Perhaps they thought it would add complexity to him or his role as an adversary if they did use him again? Why did they have him be such a bland villain in the first place? :monster:

Ouch, well please tell me what you really feel about Genesis, I'd like to hear your unfiltered thoughts. :desu:

I mean, I get it. I can see why he'd fall flat for a lot of fans. His entire premise is rocky from the start. An imitation of the most iconic and important antagonist from FFVII is already a hard role to play anyways, and given his bizarre personality and quirks, it's a wonder they went with that anyways. But another hidden SOLDIER experiment from the Jenova Project has been a concept that's been used in fandom from fanart of OCs to fanfiction for a long time. S-E just had the balls to finally try it :mon: I thought it was interesting, but at the same time I'd be happy if we never saw him again. He was cool for CC but I don't see him being a strong antagonist or villain capable of carrying another game. Not at all.

What of this?:

An implication of more to shed light on was there at least.

Is that how you took it? I mean, I guess it could be that sorta implication... I mean, it just seemed like an explanation of why there was such secrecy behind him and his erasure but, I suppose it does look like a dangling plot thread they're trying to tie up, huh?

Zirconiade was summoned incomplete, as well as needlessly, and the planet still didn't respond amicably to the Turks destroying it.

LOL Touche. I forgot about that. However, Zirconaide and Omega aren't quite the same... Zirconaide is a summon monster weapon that has a job which is to kill. The Planet remains in-tact regardless of Zirconaide task. Omega however, was literally gonna kill the planet for no reason. I dunno, I would like to think the Planet has enough sense to realize when something is gonna kill it ala Meteor, compared to reacting adversely because one of it's guardians was killed and it sicing Jade Weapon in retaliation. :mon:

As opposed to the rational way of thinking he had before? :awesome:

Show me that sociopath is even capable of such clarity before asking me to assume his mind is anything more than the myopic wonderland it was before.

LOL I mean, you're right he's not rational.

And well, the only hint I can give of anything close to a moment of clarity, is the ending after he's gotten the shit beat out of him by Zack. I mean, I get it. Your mistrust in him being anything but the nutjob he's been shown as is not unfounded, but I'm just trusting what the creators say and the implied path of redemption he has a chance to move forward on.

I linked you to where the 10th Anniversary Ultimania said the planet had deemed humanity evil, so I'm not convinced it did judge humanity as fit to exist nor that it tried to save them with Holy. =P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that with Weapon, whoops! Well, after that, and Holy did show up, clearly Holy and the Planet must have judged humans more harshly, because doesn't Buganhagen say that when Holy appeared, it would remove all things deemed a threat to the planet? And that could include humanity too? I mean, by the very fact humanity survived the unleashing of Holy, it shows that the Planet may have softening feelings towards humans.

We're not talking about where the likelihood stands of him showing up again today. We're talking about what sort of wacko he is.

Sorry, I kinda combined the two, honestly. I look at both because, if the writers were intending to showcase Genesis again in the future, they would take a particular direction with his character, and clearly leave it open so he's more of a direct hook for any sort of future for FFVII. But as it stands, he just seems sorta, forgotten and resolved based on how I feel they're trying to resolve his character. There may be some unexplained questions regarding his awakening, but nothing so pressing that it demands another game.

I don't know if that's what Square intended from the start, or it's how they chose to resolve his arc given the fact Genesis' inclusion has additional hoops that must be lept through, but in the end I just feel like he's sorta done and they tried to play a redemption angle with him to subvert his ominous appearance and perceived fill in for Sephiroth.

Top Bottom