Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I did say 'the right balance', didn't I? As in 'between the two'.

I think CC managed it, we get to meet Yuffie and name Seventh Heaven, but they happened in a way that fit the story, more or less. We got a nod to Vincent without actually prying open the coffin and saying hello.

I just don't want every significant character in the backstory to show up unless they have a decent reason to. BC went overboard with the cameos IMO.

And Zack also was introduced riding on top of a train, fighting Shinra guards. He fell through the roof of Aerith's church, Genesis basically went onewinged angel. I dunno if I'd call that balance.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Thing is, the OG is top tier while Compilation is not. So assuming that the Remake is done well, without Compliation in, it remains top tier while with Compliation added in it becomes quite subjective.

Stryfe

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
TheScrub96 (League of Legends)
I actually think CC handled the cameos and nods pretty well (except for the whole starting on a train thing, that was kinda overboard imo). XD The cameos didn't really feel forced or anything, and it's not like they were huge key points to the story either. They were usually just interesting, smaller events that would make players of the OG think, "heh, that's pretty neat". That's kind of how I'd like the remake to handle nods to the Compilation as well.

As for the whole Kunsel and Cissnei thing, I'm not sure Kunsel ever actually met Cloud in person (idk, maybe I'm wrong on that one?), so I'm not sure including him somewhere would require that they change the story too much (I imagine having him in the Junon Parade sequence somewhere). XD Cissnei, on the other hand, would probably require too many weird OG plot manipulations to fit in, so I don't think they would (or really should) put in that much effort just for a nod to the Compilation.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
Anyway...

I hope there is an option at Cosmo Canyon to rename Red XIII.

Actually.... do you think they'll even give us the option to name them all, since they're so well-known now with their original names?

If they don't perhaps Red XIII will be 'Red XIII' until he reveals his real name as Cosmo Canyon, then his name will be switched to Nanaki for the rest of the game.

I mean X was the first FF to have voice acting, and you only get away with naming Tidus because they never say his name in the game. None of the other characters get to be named, nor any characters in XII and XIII.

This isn't a 1:1 remake of FFVII and given that it has voice acting, nope. I figure we're not getting that option.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I actually think CC handled the cameos and nods pretty well (except for the whole starting on a train thing, that was kinda overboard imo). XD The cameos didn't really feel forced or anything, and it's not like they were huge key points to the story either. They were usually just interesting, smaller events that would make players of the OG think, "heh, that's pretty neat". That's kind of how I'd like the remake to handle nods to the Compilation as well.

As for the whole Kunsel and Cissnei thing, I'm not sure Kunsel ever actually met Cloud in person (idk, maybe I'm wrong on that one?), so I'm not sure including him somewhere would require that they change the story too much (I imagine having him in the Junon Parade sequence somewhere). XD Cissnei, on the other hand, would probably require too many weird OG plot manipulations to fit in, so I don't think they would (or really should) put in that much effort just for a nod to the Compilation.

I just named those as examples, what I'm getting at is I don't want them to take the BC route of having the players having a central role in every single other character's storylines. I think Kunsel would likely recognise the sword (remember, he knows all and sees all).

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
i'm just slowly powering up preparing my body for more angeal and genesis. if they were added in a story all about zack and still had a fair amount of screen time, and this game is ABOUT sephiroth as well as cloud? there'd better be more content, and i expect it.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
i'm just slowly powering up preparing my body for more angeal and genesis. if they were added in a story all about zack and still had a fair amount of screen time, and this game is ABOUT sephiroth as well as cloud? there'd better be more content, and i expect it.

I'm hoping they're adding the content from the Compilation too, even some of the content from Before Crisis which still needs to be remade and released internationally to get most of the characters stories made sensiable(for example, the last three original Turks secretly discussing about their "Lost" comrades behind ShinRa's back to muse their "good old days", Vincent thinking about Lucrecia, Heidegger and Scarlet having secret meetings with the Tviests, Vincent thinking about Lurecia, Aerith having memories of her first meeting and fun times with Zack, and Cloud recalling the best times he had with Zack after regaining his original memories). Maybe even add in some content and brief cutscenes of Denzel and Evan in separate small cameos.

I mean, you can't really call them new characters or anything. It's all part of the FFVII universe.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Here comes Mr. Ite to swing the fun pendulum fully the other way!!

Seeing as it is unlikely that they'll be able to program the entire OG by 2020, I think it might work to make Yuffie and Vincent DLC. ("Let him finish!")

No that's it I'm pretty much finished. If they became available a year after release, and the team spent the majority of their efforts on the main plot (and Christ NO to extraneous cameos and I wish that went without saying) I wouldn't begrudge them at all.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'd rather add another year of development time than have content that existed in the OG get demoted to DLC.

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
I don't think they'll mess too much with the main story as long as they don't try to force a lot of compilation stuff into it. However since it's a thread about it, I do have a wish that unfortunately I don't think Square Enix will realize with this remake.

I don't know if someone ever mentioned it in this thread but I hope they'll keep the scary parts into the remake or even add more.

Remember how it was to be the only one to wake up and see that your prison cell's door is wide open, leading to a bloody hallway filled with corpses?
Remember how frightening it was to witness the powerful and gigantic Midgar Zolom being impaled on a tree? (Still send chills down my spine even in the original, though)
How unsettling it was to discover a massacre occurred in the amusement park you were having into just a moment ago?

At several occasions Final Fantasy VII was scarier than a lot of full fledged horror games out there. I was a kid when I played it for the first time and at multiple occasions I wanted to quit because it was going too scary. However, I still continued and it was awesome. I think those scary parts are very important to the game's atmosphere. Moreover they had awesome soundtracks to go with it like Trail of Blood or Who are You, even the silences were perfectly placed!

I want this kind of scenes to be very intense in the remake. I want it to be as scary as it was the first time I played it. It would be even better if they try to do more on that side. However I doubt they'll actually do it. In fact, I think it is very likely that they will actually tone down all these parts. A look at the compilation is enough to tell. Take Jenova for example. Glancing at her headless body in the OG was horrifying, all of her forms were disgusting but in the compilation she looks more like a blue lady than an alien.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
^ To be honest, as far as the "gory" aspect of the game is concerned, I believe it will strongly depend on whether Square will feel bound to comply to a certain Rating (I mean the CERO/ESRB/PEGI kind) or not. Personally, I feel like if Final Fantasy VII were rated today, it would get a M (17+) rating here (blood, references to drugs, alcohol, sex, language, etc.), whereas it was rated for Teens back then. I personally fear that Square will want to shoot for a Teen rating for the remake, which will have them water down a lot of content (not just blood) - however there's still hope it won't be the case (Type-0 was rated M (17+) and Square didn't have a problem with that).
Now, as some folks here already mentioned, I believe the scarier part of Final Fantasy VII may rather be about Cloud's mental state. In particular, I think the notion of "losing control of your own self" is scarier than seeing trails of blood. That being said, I understand that for a kid, seeing blood is scary while losing one's mind seems abstract - sensitivities change as you grow up.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I'm hoping to see the scenes with Cloud and Reno both in Gongaga and in Wutai, especially Wutai with that Sicko-Corneo searching scene, and Reno giving out a clue to Cloud.

I think this is when Reno is starting to understand Cloud's intentions up to the point of their last meeting at the Railway, and do not see each other again for two years.

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
Let's hope the remake will be as mature as the OG was.
Personally I never found Cloud's mental state to be scary, even now. I mean he wasn't like any other human anymore since Hojo experimented on him. When you take this into consideration and add all the physical and psychological trauma he undergoes afterward, it's only normal that he ended up like this.

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
(Sorry for the double post but I didn't find an edit button)
Moreover, I think it must actually feel good to just stop caring and only listen to Jenova's will. You don't to have strive (strive, Strife, see what I did there?) for anything anymore, and it gives you a purpose to fulfill.

robotwarui

kraplach
AKA
badrobot
(I'm a bit late in coming up with this list)
What I want in the remake:

bestiary
A Bestiary

trophies
Trophies for real accomplishments
- no wimpy trophies!
- all the Overlord trophies and Weapon trophies
- all items/armors/weapons/enemyskills trophies
- gold chocobo trophy
- no-cheat trophy, awarded after the point of no return
(or just no opportunities to cheat in the first place)

this key item
Get the Mystery Panties back in the game.
For that matter, make underwear count for points.

affection points
No need to add the originally-intended battle affection factors. Too complicated.
The original point system we got was fine except for the repeat glitches.
Then again, additional unknown factors may have the player feel some kind of mystery about the eventual outcome
and forget about the math and choose dialog and actions more instinctually.
Because Cloud is "none the wiser".

glitches
I know some people wouldn't like this, but:
I don't want the w-item glitch, nor the repeating affection points glitches.
That includes Yuffie: need a limit on how many times you can not get her,
because she'll eventually get with the party because that's what she secretly wanted anyway.
In other words, you can't reject her infinity times (points or not).
Maybe 3 or 4 times.
I do think the early Quadra Magic maneuver is cool, though.
It's not a lazy man's accomplishment,
it's about exploring the game and learning what the airship can do and forging your path towards the goal.
Just like you can get Beta early on if you employ clever strategies.

from the compilation
In the story I want it known that Zack, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie
reawaken for and contribute to the lifestream's assault on meteor
as described in one of the versions of Maiden Who Travelled the Planet.
I want it to be cheesy too, like including a "yah---hooo" from one of them.

characters
I want to see the characters suffer. Physically and emotionally.
Rich non-verbal communication and facial expressions in the animation.
I want to see their angry faces. And a rare smile from each, at rare times.
And to see them fight, hurt, comfort each other.

story/script
No need for new story content, but of course a clearer and richer translation.
And actions speak louder than words, especially in HD, adding to that.
And a hawt 'under the Highwind' scene-
fade to black doesn't have to come immidiately after Tifa's famous line.

battle encounters
fewer/no random battles:
visible patches of monster activity on the world map
and
chrono-trigger-style visible enemies on the field maps

battle system
turn-based or not, as long as I can still control all the characters if i want.
Setting some on auto mode at my discretion would be acceptable.
I believe time bars are realistic; one would need great strength/skill/rage
to continuously attack without retreating.

I definitely want the characters to be more expressive. And I want a concrete Highwind scene. I almost don't even want it to be player influenced, just something canon. I dunno, I take that scene too seriously I guess but I just think it's an important scene and I want it to be part of the story line.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
So I'm playing FF7 on my PSP and I forgot some dumb things:

---How to get the Mythril from that one house near Gongaga
---Why talking to that old man every time your battle count ends in 00 or 55 66 or 77 (or other double numbers) is important besides Great Gospel.
---I got lost in Nibelheim Mountains and can't find all the item paths (some places are deadends it seems).

I sure hope this remake makes it easier not to get lost.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I just hope they don't change too much in the remake. I'm still hoping they'll add in the content from the Compilation of FFVII and add in a new secret ending leading to the next sequel set after DOC or at least a secret ending leading to a remake of BC.

But knowing my luck, that'll never happen. One thing I do know will most likely happen, is, like FFXV, they'll move the remake up from PS4 to PS5. I can just see that happening.

ChOcOboO

Game-changer
(I'm a bit late in coming up with this list)
What I want in the remake:

bestiary
A Bestiary

trophies
Trophies for real accomplishments
- no wimpy trophies!
- all the Overlord trophies and Weapon trophies
- all items/armors/weapons/enemyskills trophies
- gold chocobo trophy
- no-cheat trophy, awarded after the point of no return
(or just no opportunities to cheat in the first place)

this key item
Get the Mystery Panties back in the game.
For that matter, make underwear count for points.

affection points
No need to add the originally-intended battle affection factors. Too complicated.
The original point system we got was fine except for the repeat glitches.
Then again, additional unknown factors may have the player feel some kind of mystery about the eventual outcome
and forget about the math and choose dialog and actions more instinctually.
Because Cloud is "none the wiser".

glitches
I know some people wouldn't like this, but:
I don't want the w-item glitch, nor the repeating affection points glitches.
That includes Yuffie: need a limit on how many times you can not get her,
because she'll eventually get with the party because that's what she secretly wanted anyway.
In other words, you can't reject her infinity times (points or not).
Maybe 3 or 4 times.
I do think the early Quadra Magic maneuver is cool, though.
It's not a lazy man's accomplishment,
it's about exploring the game and learning what the airship can do and forging your path towards the goal.
Just like you can get Beta early on if you employ clever strategies.

from the compilation
In the story I want it known that Zack, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie
reawaken for and contribute to the lifestream's assault on meteor
as described in one of the versions of Maiden Who Travelled the Planet.
I want it to be cheesy too, like including a "yah---hooo" from one of them.

characters
I want to see the characters suffer. Physically and emotionally.
Rich non-verbal communication and facial expressions in the animation.
I want to see their angry faces. And a rare smile from each, at rare times.
And to see them fight, hurt, comfort each other.

story/script
No need for new story content, but of course a clearer and richer translation.
And actions speak louder than words, especially in HD, adding to that.
And a hawt 'under the Highwind' scene-
fade to black doesn't have to come immidiately after Tifa's famous line.

battle encounters
fewer/no random battles:
visible patches of monster activity on the world map
and
chrono-trigger-style visible enemies on the field maps

battle system
turn-based or not, as long as I can still control all the characters if i want.
Setting some on auto mode at my discretion would be acceptable.
I believe time bars are realistic; one would need great strength/skill/rage
to continuously attack without retreating.

A big "yes!!" to rich character expression. A lot of people around the internet are really worried about how they will tweak the battle system, but I'll be extremely satisfied if they portray the narrative how it was constructed in the game, but with added references from the Compilation, (it has such a rich world, and it makes complete sense that there would be extra things like Minerva and Deepground lurking and waiting to be discovered that were not present in the original) and with a better translation.

FFVII has some of the greatest characters and story(s) of all time, if a lot of effort is put forth into the motion capture and the voice acting, I am going to be such a happy camper. Not to mention, I'm excited as to how different camera angles will be used this time to portray the drama. A lot of those pre-rendered backgrounds really added to that 90s anime feel, and I loved when you would be in one area and then entering the next it would be at a different camera angle. The fact that the game presents issues such as mental illness, sex, debauchery, capitalism, love.. all in one package, they just can't mess this up. The Mideel scene in particular needs to be heartbreaking.

I'm also pretty excited about how they are going to portray the love triangle, because now we're going to have body language, voice, and tone! Seeing Cloud and Aerith might be cute but the narrative has Cloud and Tifa at the beginning and at the end of the compilation. It would be interesting to see if the remake has more Cloud and Aerith fans getting invested. I believe that Cloud and Tifa's relationship will be made even more clear in the remake, sans Ultimanias, Compilation entries, and/or outside game cameos; ultimately, there will be less debates.

Last edited:

hian

Purist
One thing I'm really looking forward to is finding out what the hell bugenhagen is.

He is a tiny old man standing atop what is probably a very large magic materia to facilitate flight -

FFVII_-_Bugenhagen_Artwork.jpg

RedFFWolf

Donator
^Likewise. I'm sure characters like Bugenhagen and the Chocobo Sage made perfect sense in the developers' minds, but graphics weren't exactly on their side in the end.

Of course, in the case of the Chocobo Sage, I do like this comparison being drawn here: bottom of 'Supporting and main cast' section
Anyway, I wonder will the Sage have a place in the remake. I can't see why not, and yet I can see why the developers might omit him - might just depend on the overall tone they try to portray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom