Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hian

Purist
I still don't get the beef some people have with the characterization of Barret in the original game. Looking at the overwhelming popularity of the character among black gamers, I find it hard to except the argument that his character didn't hit the spot in most regards.

Seriously though, look at the reaction videos on Youtube for the game-play trailer and notice how many of them are of black folks (last time I checked, they were the majority on the first pages when searching for reactions to that video), and how many of them are going "Daaaaum, that's mah man Barret!" etc. many of them exhibiting the exact same mannerism and pattern of speech that for some reason it's wrong for Barret to have =S

Having a specific sociolect and gestures, which coincides with a very large portion of the black population in the states, is not problematic - especially when its fronted by what is arguably one of the best developed and multifaceted black characters in video-game history (a single dad and philanthropist/eco-terrorist, who's afforded the entire spectrum of human emotions throughout the course of the story, and a personal sub-plot that pushes him towards personal transformation).
In a way, one could argue that toning him down is the equivalent of white-washing his character, and/or that focusing on the way he presents himself rather than the contents of his character (what he is and does) is the exact type of stereotyping that would make you a racist in real life if you did it to an actual person.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I still don't get the beef some people have with the characterization of Barret in the original game. Looking at the overwhelming popularity of the character among black gamers, I find it hard to except the argument that his character didn't hit the spot in most regards.

Seriously though, look at the reaction videos on Youtube for the game-play trailer and notice how many of them are of black folks (last time I checked, they were the majority on the first pages when searching for reactions to that video), and how many of them are going "Daaaaum, that's mah man Barret!" etc. many of them exhibiting the exact same mannerism and pattern of speech that for some reason it's wrong for Barret to have =S

Having a specific sociolect and gestures, which coincides with a very large portion of the black population in the states, is not problematic - especially when its fronted by what is arguably one of the best developed and multifaceted black characters in video-game history (a single dad and philanthropist/eco-terrorist, who's afforded the entire spectrum of human emotions throughout the course of the story, and a personal sub-plot that pushes him towards personal transformation).
In a way, one could argue that toning him down is the equivalent of white-washing his character, and/or that focusing on the way he presents himself rather than the contents of his character (what he is and does) is the exact type of stereotyping that would make you a racist in real life if you did it to an actual person.

QFDT

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Agreed, Barret being Barret is a huge part of what gives the game its color and vibrancy, and certainly one of the "No other Final Fantasy would have this" aspects. In a way, that's one of the negative things that some of the 'Expanded Universe' stuff has done, in a way--try and make FF7 more like the rest of Final Fantasy.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
As it's a remake, and not a reboot they should keep everyones characterisation the same - though I'm sure they'll probably incorporate compilation bullshit anyway- but in an ideal world it would be the same.

Otherwise it's like AU fanfiction - how much of a character do you change before they stop being that character?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Hian has a point. I actually had the same thought myself but wasn't sure if it was something I had any business pointing out. With all the reaction videos I've gone and watched, the ones all done by black guys seemed to show a much higher level of excitement for Barret than for Cloud. If anything, this just goes a long way to prove how important representation is. Considering how much depth and development Barret does get, he seemed to have struck a chord with a large chunk of gamers.

I mean, I've always counted Barret as one of my favorite characters. I felt really drawn to the "struggling single-father trying to make the world a better place for his daughter" aspect that his character had. Then you see him struggle to rectify this with his obvious desire for revenge against Shinra. I always felt he was painted in a very sympathetic light and had really great development throughout the game.

One thing I did notice, though, is that Barret was usually the one to pipe up with "I don't get it," for most of the game. Maybe it's stuff like that that Random Nobody was talking about? I only anticipate a much lower need for this in the remake anyway because I am running with the assumption that we will no longer have large chunks of the game where the party is all split up and can only communicate via cell phone. At least, I hope that will be the case. There are a lot of scenes that I feel the entire party really should be present for.

Random Nobody

local roach
Sis....these essays...and yet they have nothing to do with what I was talking about.

That being said, I'm not sure how Barret's alleged reception amongst ~the negro consensus~ actually relates to how well he's characterised. But again, the post had less to do with characterisation and more to do with linguistic accuracy.

EDIT:

"Daaaaum, that's mah man Barret!"

tumblr_m91am7LVBc1rot7deo1_250.gif

tumblr_inline_mwwnm5syYh1qi0m8v.gif

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I feel like you're being extremely vague on purpose in both of your posts. If you have something to say can you do so with words instead of gifs?

I mean, I genuinely think this is an important conversation but you're acting a bit on the high and mighty side while leaving the rest of us in the dark.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Do you think this is something that voice acting might actually improve? Sazh's dialogue, if written, might have also used "Dayum" it's just the accent. Perhaps if the VA for Barret is chosen properly this will be resolved?

He needs to be a little more rough than Sazh though. I picture Emmerson Codd from Pushing Daisies, but with more yelling.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Whenever I see this topic come up somewhere, I'm always reminded of this post Mog made three years ago:

ACTUAL POST FROM A BLACK PERSON INCOMING.

Barret talks 'black'. There. I said it. Yes, there are white people who talk that way, yes (not many though. For real? I haven't met too many), it's 'urban', but his speech patterns; 'Awright', 'ain't, 'ey!' 'yo!' that is part of a dialect that is almost universally attributed to black people. Here's another newsflash; there's nothing racist about it. Races, and more particularly, cultures, have cultural dialects attached to them. White people from Texas are likely to talk a certain way, Hispanic people from California are likely to carry a certain dialect with them, and so and so forth.

Same with African Americans, yes, certain speech patterns (limited but not including, ebonics) are a trait that many African Americans are familiar with whether they personally themselves talk that way or not. It's not even really 'urban' (what the fuck?) because not only do white people from the city don't really talk like Barret at all, but black people from the Deep South are just as likely to use ebonics and say 'Awright' and 'Ain't.' While yes, I can totally see Barret played up some racial characteristics (or rather, attributes that are usually aligned with African Americans), that in itself isn't racist. That's how a good number of African Americans speak and act.

That's not racist, that's just culture, dude. Why is culture a bad thing that it's politically incorrect to write people as belonging to? Because 'ain't' isn't the epitome of a distinguished vocabulary? Fuck that. It's racist when you lock people into a frame based on preconceived notions, or you look down on them for it. Not just saying 'Hey, lets write this guy based on the culture that many of those guys share.'

Come on. I know more black people who act like Barret than those that don't. Many of which who are not less intelligent, have depth, or worth less than anyone else.

Random Nobody

local roach
I mean, I genuinely think this is an important conversation but you're acting a bit on the high and mighty side while leaving the rest of us in the dark.
There was no intentional vaguery, but if you're catching the sarcasm, then yes, I am being very sarcastic. To be quite frank, I find it extremely irritating that no one actually asked for clarification before trying to lecture me (a black™) about ethnolinguistic "authenticity" and presenting an argument from authority on strength of the apparent reception from other blacks™.

The initial post was something of a throwaway observation in which I was more amused than anything, but to give a serious response in broad strokes:

- people can like something (in this case, a character) and still be critical of that same thing
- claiming some intimate knowledge of the complexities of demographic opinion (or even just of the individuals in question) on a perception of their behaviour in a youtube video is silly
- much of Barret's popularity is owed to the fact that he was the first black character in FF--and one of the earliest black main protagonists in video games in general. there aren't many black people in media full stop (and even fewer who are not men), and there are maybe 3.5 that are playable characters in Final Fantasy--2.5 if you take into account that Kiros is temporary and Fran is a furry
- of the black people in media, even fewer of them (even if heroic) don't fall into categories of loud, violent, angry, criminal, stupid, comic relief, or some combination therein, and the ones that don't often suffer from underdevelopment anyway
- for this reason, some people hate the way Barret is portrayed, regardless of any of his other redeeming qualities
- on the opposite side of the spectrum, some people like Barret because they consider his characterisation a deconstruction, or at least complex enough to mitigate the "negative" attributes
- both are valid interpretations, and the validity of either is really not for anyone else to comment on
- No one else's opinions got shit to do with me, being that we are individual persons

and, for the only point related to what I was talking about initially:

- In written works, accents should be conveyed through diction and syntax, not punctuationally. In large part because it's a form of linguistic othering that's usually predicated on implicit biases (because by such logic, since all people have accents, all dialogue should reflect it), but more importantly (to me) if you're not part of the community you're trying to render linguistically, chances are you will get the grammar and the vocabulary horribly wrong.

This is what I was saying. The issue is not that Barret speaks AAVE, nor do I take much issue with his characterisation, because I'm largely neutral towards both it and him. My issue is that the way his dialogue is written sounds terrible and unnatural. I mean, like a lot of black characters not written by black people, he has that weird-ass 70's jive-turkey cadence of speech that sounds completely unnatural.

I mean, the good news is that Beau Billingslea is actually black, so when voiced it doesn't sound like a complete disaster like, say, the vocal catastrophe that is Urbance or other pieces of media where directors ask people to do a "blaccent" or caricaturise their own voices.

But still, kmt.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
To be quite frank, I find it extremely irritating that no one actually asked for clarification before trying to lecture me (a black™) about ethnolinguistic "authenticity" and presenting an argument from authority on strength of the apparent reception from other blacks™.

No one else's opinions got shit to do with me, being that we are individual persons.
Well, to be frank, I find it irritating that what I personally found to be an insightful and helpful dissertation on the matter is being dismissed 'cause it came from The Wrong Black Man™. =P

The point is that for some people Barret's portrayal rings true even while your mileage may vary. And that's beneficial insight for Someone Who Isn't Black™ and is, thus, unsure how much stock to place in their own observations.

We can pretend you weren't yourself speaking from A Place of Authority™ on what amounts to being Authentically Black™ if you'd like, though. :monster:

Last edited:

Random Nobody

local roach
Well, to be frank, I find it irritating that what I personally found to be an insightful and helpful dissertation on the matter is being dismissed 'cause it came from The Wrong Black Man™. =P
This is gonna sound shocking, but I was still in the midst of typing and didn't even read your post until I finished posting. Ironic tho.

The point is that for some people Barret's portrayal rings true even while your mileage may vary. And that's beneficial insight for Someone Who Isn't Black™ and is, thus, unsure how much stock to place in their own observations.
I don't see your point. I specifically said that some black people like Barret and some don't. That fact that you found another black person who differs in opinion has no bearing on my own opinion, nor is it going to make me reconsider. And unless I'm misreading that post, the OP isn't making any qualitative judgement about Barret's speech--he's pointing out that Barret is speaking (or is supposed to be speaking) AAVE. Whether he finds it to be accurate or not (or speaks it or not), I don't know or really care, but I'm not disputing the idea that there's nothing wrong with the fact that Barret speaks a black vernacular.

We can pretend you weren't yourself speaking from A Place of Authority™ on what amounts to being Authentically Black™ if you'd like, though. :monster:
Like, not to be funny, and noah fence, my guy... but you are being mad annoying right now. I'm gonna go ahead and say that...yes...being black and growing up speaking black vernaculars, and around people who speak black vernacular, has allowed me to recognise black patterns of speech. There is no discrete difference between a language and a dialect, so being familiar with the nuances of either is a learnt (and often cultural) skill like anything else. I mean, I speak Spanish, but it's something of a messed up mishmash between Moroccan and Dominican Spanish, so I'm not argue with a Salvadorena if she says so-and-so Salvadorian character is speaking like she's from Madrid.

Never did I say anything about "authentic blackness." That's completely absurd and frankly offensive for you to even mention. There's no one way to be black. There are literally billions of black people on the planet, and most of them are not American. Of the ones who are American, not all of them speak AAVE, and of the ones who are American and do speak AAVE, many of them speak it to different degrees and with marked regional differences. And that's without delving into skills like codeswitching or phenomena like immigration and assimilation and trans-socioeconomic osmosis.

What I did say is that I dislike people trying to condescend to me (without even asking what I meant) because some other black person has a different opinion from mine. Putting aside that I don't see how anyone can speak for another individual in their absence (or try to extrapolate their opinions from a YouTube clip), it's a complete non-sequitur. What that got to do with me? Nothing. It hardly convinces me of anything because I'm well aware that black people are individuals with individual opinions.

Like...what are you even saying, my mans.

ETA: Okay but in slightly related news, look at dih mess that someone just linked me to.

it_be_like_that_sometimes.mp3

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, I'm not doing this with you, dude. You were the one to bring the words "accuracy" and "authenticity" into this. Don't get annoyed at me for engaging you on those terms and bringing you a platter of crow when that's precisely what you ordered off the menu.

I'm out.

Random Nobody

local roach
AAVE has a system of grammar like any other language or dialect and is not just chopping the g's off gerunds, but anywhom look at this photo of this squatting Twitta auntie.

tumblr_o40pitaPSN1rvtghpo1_1280.png

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If the objection being raised is over the quality of Barret's written dialogue (in it not sounding/reading like natural/authentic AAVE) and not his overall characterization and development, I think that is a reasonable complaint to have. Though to be fair, FFVII's OG English translation as a whole isn't considered to be the greatest in general. Like does Barret's dialogue sound better in the original Japanese?

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Yeah, the localisation of the original was a trainwreck overall, and I don't think anybody would disagree that it needs fixing.

hian

Purist
Sis....these essays...and yet they have nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Well, looking apart from the fact that I was talking in general, about a general sentiment (which is why I didn't quote you or anything you said in particular), let's look at your original post :

If Barret is characterised as he is in the original game, I hope they get someone who is actually black to look over the localisation because. [insert dumb gif of a black woman shaking her head in disapproval]

which, to me, sounds like you're making the statement that Barret's characterization (which would not just be the linguistic accuracy of his slang, but we'll get unto that later) is not something an "actual black" person would write.

My response about Barret's popularity among many black gamers is a response that is pertinent to that, because if a lot of black people identify with Barret as he is written, which goes to show that the way he was written is not necessarily at all incongruent with how an "actual black" person would have written him.

Also, if you consider any of the posts before this reply of yours essays, then I'm not sure how to break this to you, but :
You're on a forum - a fan forum for a 20 year old video-game no less - and you expect what? Twitter comment length posts?

More sassy gifs? Oh boy. Got a real straight shooter here.

There was no intentional vaguery, but if you're catching the sarcasm, then yes, I am being very sarcastic. To be quite frank, I find it extremely irritating that no one actually asked for clarification before trying to lecture me (a black™) about ethnolinguistic "authenticity" and presenting an argument from authority on strength of the apparent reception from other blacks™.

Except that nobody was trying to lecture you. I was making an observation about a trend I don't like, which, as I've just outline, I felt your post tied neatly into.
Whether you're black or not has no bearing on that whatsoever, as you so neatly point out later - since some black like and relate to Barret, others don't.
My point was simply that as long as the former is true, statements implying "actual black folk" wouldn't write him that way is BS regardless of whether or not the latter is true.

- people can like something (in this case, a character) and still be critical of that same thing

And people can be critical of that criticism, if they think it's wrong.
Also, you have no way of knowing whether these people are critical of that thing or not. I happen to know many who aren't, so the point is still moot.

Also, minus 1 for vacuous Sarkeesian paraphrasing.

- claiming some intimate knowledge of the complexities of demographic opinion (or even just of the individuals in question) on a perception of their behaviour in a youtube video is silly

Except that nobody did that. Stop strawmanning people. I made an example, to demonstrate one existing position - not to make a statement about the average position of every black person on the planet.

- much of Barret's popularity is owed to the fact that he was the first black character in FF--and one of the earliest black main protagonists in video games in general. there aren't many black people in media full stop (and even fewer who are not men), and there are maybe 3.5 that are playable characters in Final Fantasy--2.5 if you take into account that Kiros is temporary and Fran is a furry

Source please.

- of the black people in media, even fewer of them (even if heroic) don't fall into categories of loud, violent, angry, criminal, stupid, comic relief, or some combination therein, and the ones that don't often suffer from underdevelopment anyway
- for this reason, some people hate the way Barret is portrayed, regardless of any of his other redeeming qualities

Which is of no relevance to the point in any way what so ever.

One thing no writer ever should have to consider when telling a story, is how often somebody else did it before them.
Some black people are loud, violent, angry, criminal, stupid, funny etc. (just like some white people, some Latino people, and Asian people are).
Can the argument be made that it's unfortunate that people (a lot of black content creators as well - just look to the hip hop industry) can't seem to make black characters outside of stereotypes? Sure.
However, because like with all stereotypes, some people actually fit the bill, it can never be said that "character X" isn't genuine enough just because it's stereotypical to one degree or another.

All characters are stereotypical to one degree or another if you reduce your analysis of them to just a few simplistic traits - but that's an intellectually vacuous exercise to engage in.

The substance of characters are found in the totality of their expression throughout the narrative they exist within, not within some brief synopsis anyone can conjure up based on the bare essentials of what is being told.

Simply put, context matters, and in the context of FFVII, all of the cast are violent to one degree or another, can be cast as criminals, have bouts of anger, make stupid decisions, and several of them have comic relief moments. Barret's dispositions are completely in-tune and in line with the rest of the cast in that regards.

If Barret stood out as that "black guy" and all his characteristics remained atypical for anyone other than him, then perhaps it would make sense to just write him off as a stereotypical black guy - but within the narrative of FFVII, with characters like Cid, Yuffie and Cait Sith, it rings completely hollow to me.

- on the opposite side of the spectrum, some people like Barret because they consider his characterisation a deconstruction, or at least complex enough to mitigate the "negative" attributes

Some people just liked Barret because he was "hood". Half of the local teen-aged drug-dealers and thugs in my circle at the time played this game for Barret alone. They didn't touch gaming in general. They made an exception for FFVII, because, and I'm paraphrasing "Cloud's a thug with big-ass sword and Barret's a gangta with a gat for an arm".

- In written works, accents should be conveyed through diction and syntax, not punctuationally.
In large part because it's a form of linguistic othering that's usually predicated on implicit biases (because by such logic, since all people have accents, all dialogue should reflect it), but more importantly (to me) if you're not part of the community you're trying to render linguistically, chances are you will get the grammar and the vocabulary horribly wrong.

This tells me all I need to know about your knowledge about linguistics.

Simply put though - this entire paragraph is word-salad except for the last sentence - which unfortunately is a moot point, because A.) Barret's slang is apparently good enough for a lot of people who use that slang in their every day speech and B.) because it's a game with an age rating and target audience that demands certain concessions.

This is what I was saying. The issue is not that Barret speaks AAVE, nor do I take much issue with his characterisation, because I'm largely neutral towards both it and him. My issue is that the way his dialogue is written sounds terrible and unnatural. I mean, like a lot of black characters not written by black people, he has that weird-ass 70's jive-turkey cadence of speech that sounds completely unnatural.

I'm impressed that you could capture the "cadence" of Barret's writing, and how it "sounds completely unnatural" when it was all delivered in text.
But I think we've established how much you know about linguistics by now.

I'll grant the point on writing though, because everyone in the game says silly shit. That's called bad writing, and worse localization.
At least Barret's writing was good enough to capture an audience of people who generally don't feel represented in media.

There is no discrete difference between a language and a dialect,

Firstly, Barret's speech isn't a dialect - it's a sociolect.
Secondly and actually, there very often are discrete differences between those and actual languages. Several in fact - Starting with the rather obvious one of them being informal subsets of an overarching and formally structuralized language, which often have no written language to accompany them - and even when they do, the written expression of the dialect being informal and unstructured as well.

Point in case - Standardized English "Nothing", vs slang/sociolect/dialect versions such as "Nothin'", "Nuthin'", "Nuffin'" and "Nathin'", which can all be found in literature, written communication etc. but are, of course, all incorrect when used in writing that is not supposed to directly quoted speech.

If you were to make the argument that Barret's voice being written with any of these alternatives as being wrong - or one of them as being more right than the other - you'd be wrong.
They're all wrong linguistically speaking, and they're all right in terms of story-telling effect insofar they manage to convey the type of voice they're supposed to convey.
The reason we use deviations like these more often specifically for "minority voices" is exactly because they are minority voices - their pronunciation and use of words are often variations that deviate from the norm, and so to express that in writing is done to keep the flavor of that difference which otherwise would be complete lost in what would then be assumed to be just "standardized speech".

I'd argue that in the case of characters like Barret, in the original FFVII, that only had text, that would mean taking away from the flavor of his character.

Never did I say anything about "authentic blackness." That's completely absurd and frankly offensive for you to even mention.

Let me refresh your memory then :

If Barret is characterised as he is in the original game, I hope they get someone who is actually black to look over the localisation because.

There's no one way to be black. There are literally billions of black people on the planet, and most of them are not American. Of the ones who are American, not all of them speak AAVE, and of the ones who are American and do speak AAVE, many of them speak it to different degrees and with marked regional differences. And that's without delving into skills like codeswitching or phenomena like immigration and assimilation and trans-socioeconomic osmosis.

So why can't Barret's slang just be another way of being black then?

What I did say is that I dislike people trying to condescend to me (without even asking what I meant) because some other black person has a different opinion from mine. Putting aside that I don't see how anyone can speak for another individual in their absence (or try to extrapolate their opinions from a YouTube clip), it's a complete non-sequitur. What that got to do with me? Nothing. It hardly convinces me of anything because I'm well aware that black people are individuals with individual opinions.

Read the first part of my reply again, if you're still confused.

I'd have asked what you meant if I felt confused about what you said. I didn't however, because it looked pretty clear from your specific choice of words.

Maybe, if you feel misunderstood despite this that you should refrain from posting shit without a care in the world for the meaning of the words you choice while topping it off with silly gifs.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Um, in regards in voice acting in FFVII, the original game didn't have any voice actors back then.

The first time Final Fantasy actually started voice acting characters was FFX and Kingdom Hearts.

And I have no issues in Barret sounding black. I mean, I hope they keep his voice actor and that they don't change the characters in the Remake.

I'm still miffed that they gave him sunglasses, though. Sunglasses is meant for Rude only. Reno should also keep his bright red hair colour and his goggles.

On that note, what about Red XIII's grandfather?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm going to try to catch up by summarizing (with bullet points! #dork) let me know if I'm way off-base.

1. To some, Barret is a tired black stereotype due to a) aggression b) often being the last to comprehend and c) his dialect, which is poorly localized and without involvement of African Americans, probably.

2. To some, Barret is a good example of black representation due to a) perspective character status b) fleshed out backstory c) dynamic arc and d) his dialect, which makes no apologies for being different.

3. We all feel a little bit of 1 and 2 and hope that Square navigates this issue with care and respect to African Americans.

4. African Americans, both on and off this forum, have expressed both/either 1 and/or 2, therefore this is not an us-versus-them debate.

5. Number 4 again.

6. Number 3 is where this issue becomes thread-relevant.

7. Cetra! That some kinda disease? :monster:

Random Nobody

local roach
which, to me, sounds like you're making the statement that Barret's characterization (which would not just be the linguistic accuracy of his slang, but we'll get unto that later) is not something an "actual black" person would write.

Which would be wrong. Which you would know, had you asked. The reason I even mentioned characterisation at all in the first post is because I'm unsure whether or not Square is planning to tweak his personality in the remake (say, his anger and explosive behaviour being portrayed as darker and being received seriously instead of frequently played for laughs). It's a qualification. What Square plans to do in that regard doesn't matter one way or another to me, but what I was doing was acknowledging that, judging by the tone and artistic decisions (i.e. the edgelord sunglasses) of the trailer, there may be nuances in his characterisation that are subject to change.

hian said:
My response about Barret's popularity among many black gamers is a response that is pertinent to that, because if a lot of black people identify with Barret as he is written, which goes to show that the way he was written is not necessarily at all incongruent with how an "actual black" person would have written him.

It's not pertinent. His reception amongst other black gamers has nothing to do with how I receive him. And whilst I don't think Barret is written poorly, there are a variety of factors that affect how black people interact with media representations--both in general and specific to individuals. You can’t deign to infer the fullness of how a person consumes a media depiction from a clip, or even the fact that their opinion is overall favourable. Nor is a favourable reception “proof” that the depiction in question is unimpeachable or even “good.” One doesn't necessarily follow the other.

E.g., as someone who is also African and was an avid comic fan at one point, I find the concepts of “Wakanda,” “Oya,” (a Yoruba alias for an apparently Igbo character with some corny “burn the witch” background), and most of the African characters to be mildly annoying and poorly-researched in the best of times, and downright terrible, orientalist, and unfortunate at worst. Are Ororo and T’Challa and Vixen still some of my favourite characters in fiction, though? Yeah. Will I write long-ass papers about all the things wrong with them? Probably not because I’m #exhausted and I don’t give that much of a shit, but I could.

And yet none of this matters. Pursuing this question is pointless, as never did I comment on Barret’s actual character.

hian said:
Also, if you consider any of the posts before this reply of yours essays, then I'm not sure how to break this to you, but :
You're on a forum - a fan forum for a 20 year old video-game no less - and you expect what? Twitter comment length posts?

That was an obviously light-hearted post, but if you want an answer to this needless rhetorical question, then what I didn't expect is for a one line (and mostly joke-y) post to be extrapolated into a nonsensical argument against a position I never even took. I don't think this was expecting too much.

hian said:
Whether you're black or not has no bearing on that whatsoever, as you so neatly point out later - since some black like and relate to Barret, others don't. My point was simply that as long as the former is true, statements implying "actual black folk" wouldn't write him that way is BS regardless of whether or not the latter is true.

It has bearing. I don’t need to be preached to about the fact that black people have differing opinions. I’m well aware of this. Nor do I especially want to hear about what hypothetical situation would qualify as anti-blackness. I can decide that for myself.

hian said:
Except that nobody was trying to lecture you. I was making an observation about a trend I don't like, which, as I've just outline, I felt your post tied neatly into.

Which it didn't. Move on. Any thesis about what would constitute "real racism" or "white-washing" is not only unwelcome, but irrelevant.

hian said:
And people can be critical of that criticism, if they think it's wrong.

You can think it’s wrong as the day is long and argue all you want on objective nuances of narrative, but if a black person were to say they’re suffering from racial fatigue and hate a character because they find him to be grating and stereotypical, not only do you have zero authority to tell them that they’re wrong, it’s not your place to try to convince them otherwise or cite differing black opinions as “proof” that theirs is a “misinterpretation.” It’s really not your business, and whatever you have to say is not meaningful in that context. At all.

But again. Completely off-subject. I never made any judgements about how Barret is portrayed.

hian said:
Also, you have no way of knowing whether these people are critical of that thing or not.

And neither do you. Ergo, bringing them up was completely pointless and serves only to substantiate…whatever you’re arguing. I never said I did. The only one bringing up phantom black people here is you.

hian said:
I happen to know many who aren't, so the point is still moot.

Good for you. And? I could say, “And I know many who are,” but again, and? Black people and their opinions are not a rhetorical tool or a cudgel to be used in debate, and just like I don’t give a shit about your black acquaintances, I don’t expect you to give a shit about mine. I understand their positions, but they have no bearing on my own. We’re not the borg. Nor are we opposing forces. We don’t cancel each other out.

hian said:
Also, minus 1 for vacuous Sarkeesian paraphrasing.

I know you think you delivered a sickass read and ripped out my edges or whatever, but I've never even seen a Sarkeesian video, so as clever as I guess this dismissive quip is, I don't know what you're talking about. Regardless, it’s some common-ass sense. What’s a breaking point for some people is a minor (or non-issue) for others. It’s not news.

hian said:
Except that nobody did that. Stop strawmanning people. I made an example, to demonstrate one existing position - not to make a statement about the average position of every black person on the planet.

No. You assumed you know their position (and any intricacies therein) from video clips. You could be wrong about that interpretation, you could be right. It really doesn’t matter. But if you want to argue, argue on your own merits rather than use strangers or anecdotes as pieces of “evidence”…as if “evidence”-based arguments have any bearing on how people feel about media representation.

…Or anybody was even talking about the quality of Barret's characterisation.

hian said:
Source please.

I could be extremely sarcastic here, but I’m not gonna.

hian said:
Which is of no relevance to the point in any way what so ever.

No, it’s not. It’s not relevant to my original point at all, but if you’re really trying to tell me that constant negative depictions of black people don’t affect how black people consume, relate to, and critique entertainment, then I don’t know what to tell you except that you are wrong as hell. Really.

The point is that portrayal of black people in Western media is overwhelmingly negative, or shallow, or both, or they get killed off (or all three). Being as such, some black people have a low tolerance for this and have an adverse reaction to characters they feel fit these categories…hence why some black people who dislike Barret, dislike Barret.

hian said:
One thing no writer ever should have to consider when telling a story, is how often somebody else did it before them.

Writers (and other creators) do not produce their works or release them in a vacuum. Nor is media fangless. Whatever you create is released into the real world, with real effects. You are responsible for these effects. You can continue on mindlessly regardless, without any kind of conscientiousness, but there is no hiding from criticism behind some smokescreen of “artistic vision.”

hian said:
Can the argument be made that it's unfortunate that people (a lot of black content creators as well - just look to the hip hop industry)

What does hip-hop have to do with this, please.

hian said:
However, because like with all stereotypes, some people actually fit the bill, it can never be said that "character X" isn't genuine enough just because it's stereotypical to one degree or another.

...No one ever said this, so I don’t know where you’re getting this.

And speaking generally, the problem isn’t that characters are “stereotypical” or have “stereotypical” traits. The problem is that, not only is it the same archetype ad nauseam, the characters are by and large underdeveloped, are relegated to support roles, and are extremely depthless…to the point of caricature. Understandably, black people popping up every once and again to do nothing but scream an exaggerated “AW HEEEELLL NAH” or “THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT” or any other Stock Black Person Line™, can be tremendously aggravating.

You ever hear it contextualised as “the danger of a single-story” (the framework posited by Adichie)? That’s the point of contention.

…But again. None of this is what I was talking about.

hian said:
Simply put, context matters, and in the context of FFVII, all of the cast are violent to one degree or another, can be cast as criminals, have bouts of anger, make stupid decisions, and several of them have comic relief moments. Barret's dispositions are completely in-tune and in line with the rest of the cast in that regards.

FFVII exists in the context of the wider world. I know you don’t expect everybody to contract amnesia every time they consume a new piece of media. You can argue if you want about how appropriate Barret’s disposition fits with the narrative, but the fact remains that it won’t stop anyone from parsing his character as another in a long line of violent, angry, rash, criminal black men and being tired of it. And they’re entitled to be tired of it.

hian said:
it rings completely hollow to me.

It really doesn’t matter what it rings to you. Not even being dismissive. You really can’t run around telling black people that they have no right to dislike a portrayal of a black man in the media. Your perception of blackness and what black people act like, and your opinion on how black people should engage with black characters written by non-black people don’t have any merit in that arena.

hian said:
Some people just liked Barret because he was "hood". Half of the local teen-aged drug-dealers and thugs in my circle at the time played this game for Barret alone. They didn't touch gaming in general. They made an exception for FFVII, because, and I'm paraphrasing "Cloud's a thug with big-ass sword and Barret's a gangta with a gat for an arm".

It’s almost like…there are and were few black people in video games…and people liked him…because they identified with the fact he was black.

Still really don’t care about your anecdotes or the preferences of ya “thugs” tho, so I don’t understand why you’re telling me this.

hian said:
This tells me all I need to know about your knowledge about linguistics.
Let’s not.

hian said:
Simply put though - this entire paragraph is word-salad except for the last sentence

The police not gonna arrest you if you ask for clarification.

hian said:
- which unfortunately is a moot point, because A.) Barret's slang is apparently good enough for a lot of people who use that slang in their every day speech

Source?

But on an actually serious note: Again. What does that have to do with me?

hian said:
B.) because it's a game with an age rating and target audience that demands certain concessions.

I don’t know what this means. Explain, if it pleases you. If you mean swearing, it’s not salient because speaking AAVE doesn’t necessitate swearing.

hian said:
I'm impressed that you could capture the "cadence" of Barret's writing, and how it "sounds completely unnatural" when it was all delivered in text.

And I’m pretty sure you can tell who is non-fluent or otherwise unfamiliar with English just by their diction and syntactical choices online. Let’s not.

hian said:
But I think we've established how much you know about linguistics by now.

Tell me something. Ignoring the obvious intentional provocation here, do you honestly think that a person needs to be degreed in order to recognise the speech idiosyncrasies of the communities that they belong to? Genuinely asking. Would you feel comfortable telling a Darija speaker that they don’t know what they’re talking about if they said the script for so-and-so Moroccan character sounds stiff and odd? Would you correct an Igbo person if they claimed a character who is supposedly from Anambra is speaking as if she just stepped out of Owerri?

hian said:
I'll grant the point on writing though, because everyone in the game says silly shit. That's called bad writing, and worse localization.
It’s almost like…that’s what I’ve been saying…this entire time….so odd…and Strange….

hian said:
At least Barret's writing was good enough to capture an audience of people who generally don't feel represented in media.

And then Square freed the slaves and passed the Voting Rights Act of ‘65. And unto them Square sayeth, “All ye, children of Ham, shalt receive a fifth of Henny 40 ounces and a mule.” And lo, it was Good.

Seriously. Not to be funny, but it’s hard to take this sentence seriously when me…I am Mariah that audience™. Like...sis...the #deezcourse. I’m not even sure what this is meant to communicate. “I haven’t heard this criticism before, therefore you must be wrong”? “I think it’s good enough, therefore it’s above criticism”?

I hope you realise that this entire exercise has been in essence:

Me: Barret’s AAVE sounds stiff and a bit weird
You: How can that be true when I know a black person that likes Barret?

I mean, I hope you can recognise how patently ridiculous this entire thing is.

hian said:
Firstly, Barret's speech isn't a dialect - it's a sociolect.

AAVE (like MLE) is both. It’s spoken by African Americans and is indigenous to the United States. Globally, other black people have pidgins, patwa, creoles, and/or other variants of English or whatever imperial language was “imported” to them by invasion. Moreover, AAVE exists on a continuum and speciates with travel. For example, in addition to their own creole, the way Gullahs speak AAVE is heavily and directly influenced by their Krio and Mende ancestry, and is markedly different from how the average black New Yorker speaks. A New Yorker in turn is different from a Louisianan Creole, and there are even accents and vocabulary unique to major cities (e.g. New Orleans versus Baltimore versus Philly).

It still doesn’t matter, because I’m not interested in semantic arguments. It’s not relevant.

hian said:
Secondly and actually, there very often are discrete differences between those and actual languages.

No. There’s a reason that people are forever running around spouting that Weinreich quote. “Language” and “dialect” are largely political distinctions, hence why Swedish and Norwegian are considered separate languages, and Dutch and Afrikaans…but Mandarin and Cantonese are discussed as “dialects” of Chinese, and Idemili can be indecipherable to eastern speakers and has a million orthographic oddities, but is considered mere “regional flavour” of a single tongue. This paradigm is not some oddity. It’s quite common, especially amongst languages with massive amounts of speakers, or speakers separated by considerable geographic difference. Bet money that if you touch down in the Ninth Mile countryside or somewhere in the Caribbean, you won’t understand a word of what anyone is saying. But will they be speaking English? Yes.

Is there sometimes a distinction between a language and a dialect drawn for convenience sake? Yeah. Are there any hard and fast rules? No. And regardless, this is another pointless belabouring of semantics.

hian said:
Several in fact - Starting with the rather obvious one of them being informal subsets of an overarching and formally structuralized language, which often have no written language to accompany them

I don’t get what you’re saying. There are loads of “formal, structured” languages that have no writing system to accompany them, either because that system was destroyed or mostly destroyed by colonisation (e.g. Nsibiri), or the language is/was based entirely in verbal communication and just never had one. I’m not sure when a writing system became necessary to qualify as a language. In any case, AAVE—like onwu, or pidgins, or any other English variants—is written with the Latin alphabet.

hian said:
- and even when they do, the written expression of the dialect being informal and unstructured as well.

I hope you’re not saying that AAVE and other dialects are “unstructured,” because if you are, you are wrong as hell. Full stop. They have systems of grammar, and if you violate those systems, it’s immediately obvious to native speakers. I don’t feel like writing some treatise on grammar rules, but case in point and the most popular example: the habitual be…an extremely simple and intuitive tense/conjugation with implicit meaning that non-speakers stay fucking up when trying to sound funny.

hian said:
all incorrect when used in writing that is not supposed to directly quoted speech.

Personally, I tend towards the school of sociolinguistic thought that says distinctions of “correct” and “incorrect” are meaningless when speaking about communication, and when applied across dialects. AAVE is not “incorrect English,” and speaking English incorrectly is not AAVE. You can speak AAVE incorrectly (because, again, it has grammar and context-based vocabulary) and still not be speaking Standard English. Nor is AAVE simply a type of pronunciation. As I said, it’s not just chopping the G’s off gerunds, and reducing it to that (written or otherwise) doesn’t even follow logically. I meant it when I said doing such is silly (and frankly lazy) and can be considered a form of linguistic othering. Speakers of Standard English only have their own speech eccentricities (say, flapping like hell), and yet you would never see some shit like, "I was wedding the budder knife cuz I needed to warsh it afder spilling musderd onnit fifdeen times,” for a speaker of General American.

hian said:
They're all wrong linguistically speaking, and they're all right in terms of story-telling effect insofar they manage to convey the type of voice they're supposed to convey.

hian said:
and so to express that in writing is done to keep the flavor of that difference which otherwise would be complete lost in what would then be assumed to be just "standardized speech".

No. If you can actually speak AAVE, I guarantee you that you can communicate that a character is a black AAVE speaker without describing their race, skin colour, or denoting it orthographically at all. I honestly don’t give much of a shit whether it’s indicated punctuationally or isn’t, but the latter is very much is possible to accomplish.

If I introduce a character by making them say something like: “Nah, he stay tight as hell, but I told him he could catch the hands real quick and all of a sudden he out here acting like he don’t what it is,”

I’m pretty sure you know that character is black.

hian said:
So why can't Barret's slang just be another way of being black then?

If Barret is a character that was intentionally to sound hokey because he’s a non-AAVE speaker who speaks like he does to sound tough, then that would be fine. But I think you and I both know that’s not the case. The question comes down to whether we acknowledge that AAVE is not just pronunciation (or some weird approximation used to represent pronunciation), is not just Standard English spoken “incorrectly,” does have a set of grammatical regulations, and can, in fact, be spoken incorrectly. I mean, if you don’t recognise all that, and you really think it’s just some random bullshit language mangling, then oh well. We have nothing to talk about.

If you do, then I don’t know what exactly the point of any of this was.

Like, let me ask you a very fair question. What exactly are you even arguing and why? Do you know?

hian said:
I'd have asked what you meant if I felt confused about what you said. I didn't however, because it looked pretty clear from your specific choice of words.

And again. You were wrong. Your misinterpretation is your own fault, not mine.

hian said:
Maybe, if you feel misunderstood despite this that you should refrain from posting shit without a care in the world for the meaning of the words you choice while topping it off with silly gifs.

Feel free to ignore my posts, because ain’t nobody was talking to you to begin with.

Anyway, buy Pep Rally on iTunes.

EDIT:

I'm still miffed that they gave him sunglasses, though.

I'm gonna die (of laughter) if they turn Barret into BERETTA, LORD OF THE SUPREME EDGE, because that would be mad funny.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
This is all pie in the sky, because I'm not convinced they could do this without spoiling it with compilation bullshit.

But anyway, if they're going to do DLC I'd quite like playable backstories. Like all this discussion about Barret, I was thinking something along the lines of:

A whole bit where you meet the townspeople, and Myrna and Eleanor, just sort of going about Corel before it gets shitted up. Then he and Dyne get their arms shot off, so like, presumably Barret has to tie up what's left of his arm, make his way back to Corel, and you find Myrna dead. So then Barrets just broken...like you don't know what he's going to do, and then he hears a baby crying....

and then the rest of it would be getting to Midgar, travelling with a baby. I'm thinking before he gets his arm modded he would have had some sort of makeshift weapon taped on there or something...but basically a whole Lone Wolf and Cub thing, Barret being badass - only with a baby sling. I dunno, it's something that was going around in my head.

Then, you could have stuff with Cid in his pre-space program days, flying for Shinra. Yuffie getting up to all sorts of shit in Wutai before telling her dad 'no u' and travelling the world.

Vincent...well we sort of know some of that from Dirge I guess :/ Coffin simulator?

Anyway, you get the general idea. Just kind of sucked how the other characters got brushed aside in AC so it would be interesting to see things from their pov you know?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
This feels familiar.

I think it's more of the case of that we're all now just going around in circles. *Shrugs*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom