Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The moment is too iconic for Square to resist showing it off in full remake glory though. I really don't think they''re gonna screw with that kinda thing.

You want Tifa to die?:'(

No...I'm saying that the original scene is too iconic, to the point where its one of the few flashback that Advent Children ever bothered with, helter skelter as it was. It's probably one of the most youtube moments from the game as well.

Square would be hardput to resist recreating that scene and going "See? We can make you cry the same way as when you were 10...IN HD 4K 60FPS!!!!"

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
The moment is too iconic for Square to resist showing it off in full remake glory though. I really don't think they''re gonna screw with that kinda thing.

You want Tifa to die?:'(

No...I'm saying that the original scene is too iconic, to the point where its one of the few flashback that Advent Children ever bothered with, helter skelter as it was. It's probably one of the most youtube moments from the game as well.

Square would be hardput to resist recreating that scene and going "See? We can make you cry the same way as when you were 10...IN HD 4K 60FPS!!!!"

Oh, okay. I misunderstood.

Well, I am expecting that scene of Aerith's death to be in full HD in the Remake(with probably lots of blood spilled, the similiar way how
Luna's death had her dress stained in her blood by Ardyn in FFXV but admittedly not has shocking as Aerith's death or the apparent death of the Sultana in the ending of A Realm Reborn
).

In HD, it'll most likely be even more shocking to see it in better quality than in the original game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Sorry. Just fixed it up.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It still wasn't marked clearly to say what game the spoilers were for. This is a FFVII thread, so someone wouldn't be expecting an unspecified spoiler tag to contain FFXV or FFXIV A Realm Reborn spoilers. I went ahead and fixed it.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Well, I am expecting that scene of Aerith's death to be in full HD in the Remake(with probably lots of blood spilled,

11479bf40ebc33b83e5c8a4124bc1acb.jpg

(courtesy of S&G)

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a censorship issue, and more just not wanting to try to put in liquid effects, which back then were not...exactly all that stellar. Bushido Blade 2's FMV did not exactly sell it for me that well, and that was roughly the same period before Maya studios became Square's main way of pushing the envelope on FMV realism.

The fact is, Sephiroth's sword DOES draw blood: We see copious amounts of it in Nibehiem and ShinRa towers, and I'm pretty sure Gi-Caves is supposed to be bloody water, ghostly origin not withstanding.

It's basically down to one FMV that already has a lot of problems, and having NO way to do it with the field map engine that didn't look stupid.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a censorship issue, and more just not wanting to try to put in liquid effects, which back then were not...exactly all that stellar. Bushido Blade 2's FMV did not exactly sell it for me that well, and that was roughly the same period before Maya studios became Square's main way of pushing the envelope on FMV realism.

The fact is, Sephiroth's sword DOES draw blood: We see copious amounts of it in Nibehiem and ShinRa towers, and I'm pretty sure Gi-Caves is supposed to be bloody water, ghostly origin not withstanding.

It's basically down to one FMV that already has a lot of problems, and having NO way to do it with the field map engine that didn't look stupid.

The Masamune not drawing blood is technically irrelevant in both Shinra Tower and Aerith's death because in both it's not actually the Masamune, but Sephiroth's Jenova puppet forming a Masamune lookalike out of cells/ illusions.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

The Masamune not drawing blood is technically irrelevant in both Shinra Tower and Aerith's death because in both it's not actually the Masamune, but Sephiroth's Jenova puppet forming a Masamune lookalike out of cells/ illusions.

The Masamune wasn't in the crystal with him, so either Sephiroth can summon Masamune whereever he is or we never see Masamune again at all outside of the flashback.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a censorship issue, and more just not wanting to try to put in liquid effects, which back then were not...exactly all that stellar.

And yet, they went for boob physics, which back then were not... exactly all that stellar either :monster:. I think in this case they could've gone for some simple texturing or something. But, not including that has probably allowed the game to have a pretty child-safe rating, I think? I'm not even sure :monster:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a censorship issue, and more just not wanting to try to put in liquid effects, which back then were not...exactly all that stellar.

And yet, they went for boob physics, which back then were not... exactly all that stellar either :monster:. I think in this case they could've gone for some simple texturing or something. But, not including that has probably allowed the game to have a pretty child-safe rating, I think? I'm not even sure :monster:

I point again to Bushido Blade 2, Square's goriest game at the time, and that got away with the same teen rating despite this opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjgUHovxlTA

They could have done something like that, but it just kinda...doesn't look that good, and likely would have hampered the 'beauty' of the scene. Aerith's death is sad, but in an intentionally beautiful way.

Where as Bushido Blade franchise is a VERY mean spirited game about revenge and clan warfare.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I haven't been keeping up to date on remake stuff. Other than the fact that it exists, I didn't know much about it. Decided to take a peak at who's directing and

Director said:
Tetsuya Nomura

for the love of FUCKING GOD

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’m trying to stay positive about Nomura as director, especially since Yoshinori Kitase keeps telling the press how hard the team is working on it (probably while Nomura daydreams in his office about new projects).

My only major (edit: one of many) concern is that Sephiroth is a major focus of the game’s early marketing, and if Part 1 is (as many suspect) just Midgar, that means he’ll show up way before he’s necessary. I’m reminded of the many characters that suffer from their popularity (Jack Sparrow and Spike from Buffy come immediately to mind). If Nomura manages to exhibit restraint when it comes to Sephiroth, especially in Part 1 (whether it ends with a bike chase or a boat ride) the Remake has a shot at greatness.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Well, to offer another perspective, Nomura's heading the project is only a vote of confidence for me. That's a bridge crossed too late though.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I point again to Bushido Blade 2, Square's goriest game at the time, and that got away with the same teen rating despite this opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjgUHovxlTA

They could have done something like that, but it just kinda...doesn't look that good, and likely would have hampered the 'beauty' of the scene. Aerith's death is sad, but in an intentionally beautiful way.

Where as Bushido Blade franchise is a VERY mean spirited game about revenge and clan warfare.

I'm not sure what you're driving at there because there isn't a huge amount of blood, that's nosebleed quantities. Yeah people get cut down but it's all subtle and as you say, a completely different type of story to FFVII. Now think back to the first time you get to the marshlands and see what Sephiroth did to the Midgar Zolom. That's not particularly gory either but it's got a shock factor to it that Aeris' death delivered in a somewhat different manner. The Zolom was shocking because it's considerably bigger than a man (okay in my head I just thought of the giant snake in Resident Evil, that's a similar kind of scale) but Sephiroth just leaves it mounted on A TREE. It gives you an idea of just what Sephiroth is capable of, he's not just gone insane but he's immensely strong and extremely dangerous. When Aeris dies she's trying to help in a way that wouldn't necessarily work for anyone else at that point (being the last Cetra an' shit), which is why it's so much more profound, she's not just a member of your team (and probably your best-equipped magic user), she's literally the last link to the planet in a way that Red and Bugenhagen will never match. It's not just Sephiroth fucking up a massive beast because it's in his way, it's Sephiroth fucking up the whole planet because it's in his way.

Ah well that's my take on it anyway, personally I get to see a fuckton of blood every three weeks but hey, if you want gory then I suspect you'll be disappointed is all.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The point I'm driving at is that I think it was either a technical issue, or intentionally removed to retain the beautiful tragedy of the moment. I lean more towards the technical since the blood effects in Square's animated sequences were never that impressive. It's easy with a prerendered image that they can polish to perfection, but FFVII's animations had enough problems with consistency and quality without adding in the hurtles of realistically representing a mortal wound.

Or it could just be trying to be really really pretty, and have you caught in the emotional moment rather than OMG SHE'S BLEEDING EVERYWHERE HER GUTS ARE ON THE FLOOR NOOO!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I don't think we'll be seeing Aerith's guts, but I think we'll see her blood when Sephiroth kills her.

I mean,
Cloud ended up bleeding when Sephiroth stabbed him and blood was shown despite him still being alive in the Bluray version of the film,
and if they can do that, I'm certain there'll be more blood in the remake than seen in the Original.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm not happy with how Midgar looks.

Care to elaborate? :monster:

X :neo:

Our first view of Midgar gave us the impression of a city stacked ontop of itself, with a really eclectic mix of architecture.

This video kinda makes me feel like there's really just going to be two above-plate styles: Old Town NYC inspired, and Generic Modern City Scapes.

Second look edit: Okay, the first Midgar segment seems a lot more inline with what I wanted. It's just stupidly hard to see with all the mako fumes and Sephiroth/Cloud taking up most of the screen with their particle effect storms.

But the second part feels very....bleh.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Looking at the images leaked onto twitter, and I have to say I am impressed with the fidelity to the original game. There's more scale and, dare I say it, realism evident, but they are pretty great versions of what we know. So I'm feeling optimistic for the weekend, at least.

When President Shinra talks about dropping the Sector 7 plate I will be pleased if, in the remake, he brings up the Before Crisis version of AVALANCHE as a motivator for crushing this tiny, Barret-lead version of the group.

The former AVALANCHE was a thorn in Shinra's side for *at least* over half a decade before their leader was "assassinated" and the group ceased to be. Barely has the President had time to enjoy this seemingly final victory before a new cell pops up and explodes a reactor. So the President wants to nip this one in the bud immediately.

Highlighting this context in the remake would help the player further understand why Shinra went to the outrageous length of dropping a city plate onto the slums.

It would not be a necessary addition to the script but nevertheless it is a bit of fleshing out that I'd enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom