Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
People absolutely do want to see this look as good as it can, and that is a huge amount of the want for a remake in the first place.

It definitely needs to look good. But I was just making the point that there are different meanings to "looks good" nowadays in gaming. There's the looking good in terms of advanced graphics techniques, so something looks more realistic (e.g FFXV "looks better" than FFXIII).
But there's also just looking good in terms of art design, character design, thoughtful environmental detail etc (in which case FFXV doesn't really look much better than XIII at all, they're pretty much equivalent.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
ATB to FF is what tank controls and fixed cameras are to Resident Evil. They could creatively revisit the classic style, but it`s not very likely. I don`t think it`s particularly necessary for the remake to be successful.

Looking at what`s been done so far - I think it would be cool if FF took a more simplified Monster Hunter type dodging model, with a more pronounced class system and a higher focus on spell casting. Have primary control over 1 character, but be able to switch over for different enemies who are more susceptible to different play styles. Hell, throw in an online mode where people can join in as certain enemies down for a bigger challenge/reward.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
My God...

That just made me realize..

You know they're gonna try to add some sort of online component for this game, right?

No single player game these days don't have some sort of multiplayer add on accompany it. Hell, FFXV had one.

Not to knock on Comrades but I'm just sayin'.

You know S-E's gonna want to add one for FFVII. I just wonder what exactly it could be and how would it work....

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
My God...

You know they're gonna try to add some sort of online component for this game, right?

No single player game these days don't have some sort of multiplayer add on accompany it. Hell, FFXV had one.

You know S-E's gonna want to add one for FFVII. I just wonder what exactly it could be and how would it work....

That’s easy. Chocobo racing or really anything related to the Gold Saucer and mini games. Online chocobo racing could be pretty fun.

I don’t mind an online portion of FF7 as long as it remains separate from the story. A co-op adventure (now that it seems we are an action RPG) after the main story could be pretty dope, or as I already said the gold saucer mini games. I wouldn’t really want the game itself to be co-op, but I guess it wouldn’t be bad if it were only an option. I very seriously doubt they’d do that at all, though, and I think the mini games are much more likely.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
As long as they make the multiplayer part optional, like Comrades, I'm fine with that. Comrades was vaguely fun to play single player. Although would've been better if they got rid of that dumb multiplayer loading area and just went straight to the levels.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah I've been pretty optimistic about this game since it was announced, for that exact reason. Storytelling is what they've struggled at the most for the last decade, and that's largely already taken care of for this game.

Is it, though? The story is taken care of, but at least as I understand the notion, the storytelling will unavoidably be getting a massive overhaul.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
My God...

Not necessarily, two high profile single player games without a multiplayer add-on/game mode are Spider-Man and God of War. I know these are PS exclusives which are aimed at being purely single player but still I don’t think Square would spend resources on a multiplayer game mode for FF7 when they’ve seemed so intent on keeping it as close to the original as possible, working on a multilayer bit would take time and resources away from the main single player experience.

At least on release anyway, maybe after release they can start something fun like that.

If there is character switching I am guaranteed to play through multiple times, first normal, then solo running with each controllable character.

Nomura has stated that the battle system is being designed that way with unique use of characters and the 2015 gameplay trailer was in-engine and clearly shows switching

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Is it, though? The story is taken care of, but at least as I understand the notion, the storytelling will unavoidably be getting a massive overhaul.

That's a good distinction in general. I'm not sure how much they could really change the way it's told though, without it being an obvious failure to replicate the experience of the original.
They'll definitely change the dialogue, which is fine. What else are they gonna change though? Add a first person narrator or something? Or make events happen off-screen in FFXV style?

All I'm imagining is that it'll be the same sequence of events as the original, but with some new detail added in certain parts, and all of the dialogue will be rewritten.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The only thing solidly in my mind is they're most likely going to include an extra two to three hours of time between Sector 1 and Sector 5 bombing mission. Maybe longer if they're really dedicated on making us feel strongly about Avalanche characters and their backgrounds.

But outside of that it's anyone's guess what kind of detours they'll take between major story points that can't be omitted without fear of audience rejection.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
That's a good distinction in general. I'm not sure how much they could really change the way it's told though, without it being an obvious failure to replicate the experience of the original.
They'll definitely change the dialogue, which is fine. What else are they gonna change though? Add a first person narrator or something? Or make events happen off-screen in FFXV style?

Even just the fact that they'll be changing dialogue is significant, but we're also going to be getting different presentations of even the stuff that isn't changed. The new camera angles -- to say nothing of the voice acting -- will change so much with regard to pacing, delivery, impact, etc.

Something else that sticks out in my mind is something like Cloud's reaction to Aerith's death right after it happened. It was worded and directed as it was because of the limitations of the graphics, yet this also made the scene have more impact.

If the angle and words were kept the same now in an attempt to preserve what made the original telling so effective, would it just feel melodramatic? Like a forced attempt at pathos rather than a more "natural" unfolding from just showing us Cloud's tears?

If presented the more "natural" way, though, will this iconic moment feel lessened?

Man, if anything, the more I think about it, the more I imagine that having the original game to follow as a blueprint may actually make things more difficult.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I mean, we've got a blueprint for Cloud expressing dawning horror and grief via Crisis Core.

Lets just hope...they don't ask Burton to scream again. Because....no.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Yeah they could frankly ruin a scene like Aerith's death by just giving Cloud a slightly out-of-place expression on his face.

I'm trying not to worry about that level of detail though, because there are just too many variables. Too many ways they might screw up that I can't even think clearly about it. So I just kinda go in with the expectation that they'll probably mess up some of those subtle deliveries and improve others (so that overall it's a net zero effect).

You're definitely right that those things matter though. I mean I actually disliked a scene in the FFX remaster simply because I felt like the new music didn't match the mood of the scene as well as the old music had.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, back when on ACF (adventchildren.net) there was both a lot of theories on the forums and a dedicated form on the website for theories; I don't think we ever went back to review those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom