• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

I know What's Beneath the Snow Fields, a ridiculously long FF7 fic from 1999

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Weirdly I still have a couple of the Genesis Awards lot on Facebook, although I haven't contacted any of them in at least 10 years. Do you know who originally nominated it? I'm on my phone on a train and have no idea how functional the forums still are but there were nomination threads where someone will have chosen it. If by some weird coincidence it was one of the 3 or 4 people I still have as FB friends I could reach out?
I'll have to look around to see who nominated it. Honestly though, just anybody who knew the story existed while it was still online might be helpful, so reaching out might not be a bad idea anyway. I just need people who might have saved those images back then and still have them.

It just occurred to me that this is basically a lost media search at this point.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Ah that's good! I'm logged out of Facebook on literally everything, but when I get a chance this weekend what I'll do is log in and find the old Genesis Awards Facebook group, and make a post about it there. If you have some wording you'd like me to use let me know!

The people I'm actually Facebook friends with all skewed a lot younger and were reading all their fic on fanfiction.net, so very unlikely to be familiar with a 1997 story that wasn't uploaded on there. I reckon the group is the best bet, if it still exists.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Ah that's good! I'm logged out of Facebook on literally everything, but when I get a chance this weekend what I'll do is log in and find the old Genesis Awards Facebook group, and make a post about it there. If you have some wording you'd like me to use let me know!

The people I'm actually Facebook friends with all skewed a lot younger and were reading all their fic on fanfiction.net, so very unlikely to be familiar with a 1997 story that wasn't uploaded on there. I reckon the group is the best bet, if it still exists.
Snow Fields actually is partially on FF.net, though not the whole thing.

I couldn't find who nominated it though unfortunately, the thread for the nominations didn't have it despite it appearing in the nominations list.

There's no special wording to use,I guess just "Do you remember'I know what's beneath the snow fields' and do you have any of the old fan art saved anywhere?"

Thanks so much for doing this for me!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You're a fanworks archaeologist, Odysseus.
I wonder if you could find the fic that first used the surname "Sinclair" for Reno. I'd love to know who came up with that.
I know I saw "Sinclair" pop up a few times while I was looking around, so I know it goes waaaaay back. Snow Fields doesn't use it though as far as I know. It'd be something interesting to look into for sure.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
No art work leads so far, I'm afraid. Only what you already know about.
War is hell.

Here's the link to the overpriced book:
https://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/9290170/57e0e7b5c9fab2a99398918af83499efd7e19f1c
Keep in mind that's volume 1 of 2. There's also gonna be a third book, but that one will be more tangentially related. The full fic is in the first two.

There's also the one for Obstinate Melon's comic (first half, anyway) if they're interested in that:
https://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/8585246/5bed0d155980eadefa201f68f48afe81d0373cdd

I'm building up my catalogue here lol.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
New side-project while I wait for people to get things to me:

Remember that Sephiroth fic I mentioned pages ago? Written by a fan of Snow Fields? I got in contact with the author a few days ago, and got approval to do whatever I wanted with it. I'm going to add to it, as well as finish it. That's what the third book is.

Never written a fan fic before, so we'll see how this goes lol.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Text of Snow Fields in regards to Rufus:

"'Sh. Sh. It's okay, son,' comforted Davoren,'It's okay. Just take it easy.'"
"Argh! The kid's a damn half-wit"
"I'll handle the kid."
"The young lunatic, however, raved on unaware and uninterrupted"
"His withdrawn countenance looked so dejected, more so compared against his youth"

Rufus Shinra's canonical age: 30 (31 in the timeframe of this story)

I'm starting to see why people found that revelation strange in the remake lol. How old did people think he was?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Getting back into it now that the search for outside content has dried up. Here, have more a e s t h e t i c imagery
YEAR 2002_1.png
Angela's bedroom was like the pinnacle of 90's nostalgia I swear. Glad she ad these pictures so I could Photoshop the fuck out of them. That yellow floppy in the back is a dedicated Snow Fields floppy she had back then and still has lol.
VincentDavoren04.jpg
What a legend.

Also here's the page I needed that award for because why not
1633565647347.png
Based on this.
The book's a website. Click it. Click the book. Do it. Click it. The book. CLICK THE BOOK. CLICK IT.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Looks great as always.

Funnily enough, I saw an image of a 90's room making the rounds on Twitter last week. Except commenters noted it was a fake, attempting to cash in on 90's nostalgia. Apparently a wall poster gives it away.

Angela's room is legit though. Bravo.
Jeez, that picture went viral? That pales in comparison to some of Angela's lol. The two I showed in the thread are the only ones I'm using in the book fyi.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I remember that fic well. I thought it had been turned in a doujinshi by someone I think is a German or Scandanavian fanartist, but it turned out to be another big late 90s fic, "Sink To The Bottom With You" by Catalina.

http://doujinshi.art-engineer.de/index.html

I've always really liked her Butterfly Symphony, for obvious reasons.
I finally opened that link after three months, and I was surprised to see how old the sink to the bottom doujin is. Somebody on Pixiv has been translating in into Japanese as recently as this year. Sink to the bottom was actually hosted on the same site as Snow Fields, which is what got me thinking about this.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010802084723/http://www.saucybard.com/vera/vlibrary.htm

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
So, as part of the interior design of the book, I wanted to have a different character on all of the first ten pages. If you remember the example page I showed, it had Davoren's head on the top left. I wanted to do that with a different character on every page with that design. I found the artist responsible for the original Davoren drawing, and I'm commissioning her to do the other 9 characters. Each character portrait is $40, which isn't so bad on it's own, but considering there are nine of them, well ...

ATTENTION ALL TLS USERS
Odysseus is in big trouble and he needs YOUR help!
To help, all you've gotta do is send in your name, credit card number, the expiration date, and those three wacky numbers on the back.

Okay don't do that lol.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
So, as part of the interior design of the book, I wanted to have a different character on all of the first ten pages. If you remember the example page I showed, it had Davoren's head on the top left. I wanted to do that with a different character on every page with that design. I found the artist responsible for the original Davoren drawing, and I'm commissioning her to do the other 9 characters. Each character portrait is $40, which isn't so bad on it's own, but considering there are nine of them, well ...

ATTENTION ALL TLS USERS
Odysseus is in big trouble and he needs YOUR help!
To help, all you've gotta do is send in your name, credit card number, the expiration date, and those three wacky numbers on the back.

Okay don't do that lol.

John Doe, 1111 1111 1111 1111. 01,01,1111. 111

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
John Doe, 1111 1111 1111 1111. 01,01,1111. 111

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

I JUST NEED A LITTLE [Ģ̶̫̤̈́È̵͔͔̫̆̀̾N̶̡̜̦̫̯͍̘̈͊̏̅̒͊̓̐͌̈́͗͗̿́̕͝ͅĘ̴̨̣͚̩̼̪̻̯̿͜R̶̦̖̘̼͖͠Ő̸͖͑͐́̀͗̕S̶̟̣͙͎̫͍̼̖̈̅͛̀̈́̓͂̐̎͆͜ͅͅͅI̵̮̺̪̳͆̄͊̈̓̑͂̍̑̾̽̌͑̈́̐̉̚͠͝T̶͓̩̺̙͇̮͙͈̫̗̻̪̗͙͈̱͂̇̂͂͗͊͗̐̏̀̂̆͂̊͆͂́̕͜͝Y̶̻̻̯̖͎̗͍͓̦̜̓̓̿͛̈͂̋̋͑̿̊̾̍͠], KID.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
@Odysseus I'd love to provide financial support, but I just don't know if I can do anything from overseas. Do you use Paypal, ko-fi, or anything else that is user-friendly enough? I'd prefer to avoid using standard bank transfers because the additional fees are ridiculous. Feel free to drop me a message, so that we could figure something out.

AngelaRose

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Kindred Arkain
I wish I had more pics of my "90's bedroom". (These are 1998 to early 2000's. :awesome: ) That desk space went through a lot of transformations.

1998 - First my bed was there. Love the bad cut and dye job. >_> Ooo Parasite Eve! I think this was Christmas morning 1998.
1999 - Hot Mess Express Fixed up the old family Packard Bell to surf the net. It was slower than hell and I had to plug in the computer specs every time I turned it on. Nostalgia man.. :headbang:
2000 - Got a new keyboard The red fabric is from my Vincent cosplay. The claw is chilling out on top of the rack.
2000 - A different day. New Sorcerer Hunters postcards on the angel shelving gives it away.
2000 - Before I moved out. You can see some of Celyne's Snow Fields fanart in the upper half of my action figure rack. A lot going on in here.

Oddly enough, I still have almost everything in these pics, minus the computer and a few of the trinkets in the background. Yes, I am a nostalgic packrat.. :P But I guess in Ody's search for Snow Fields stuff, that turned out to be a good thing.

:desucait:

Top Bottom