• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS If Genesis does return, how would you like to see him handled?

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I do think there is potential for redemption...you just have to present Genesis as seriously repentant and wishing to do good after being defeated by Naruto/Zack. He has realised the error of his ways, and is no longer self-absorbed...he wants to save the planet. So he takes on the Knight in the shadows role that Mako mentioned. That being said, he still retains his love for poetry and theatrics, because without that he's simply not Genesis.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
ARGH, Genesis. "Hi, woe is me, I'm Genesis, I'm so goddamn angsty because of all the problems I myself created. Waaa, waaa, waaa!"

The guy joins a dubious organization as their hired muscle. He consents to various questionable experiments by said organization in exchange for greater power. Then, in a fit of petty jealousy, he decides to duel one of the extremely few friends he has. Then, he gets wounded by his friend only to find out that his injury can't heal right because of the experiment he consented to earlier has, LO AND BEHOLD, unexpected side effects. He then gets pissed about basically the entire chain of events he himself started. He, then, throws a fit at Shinra, gets his other best friend killed in the process, and sets of an even worse chain of events.

I don't see how Square can rehabilitate such an royally self-induced fuck-up. Maybe they can, I dunno, but it would be an impressive literary feat to do so.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
.. How do you consent to your birth?

Especially when said birth imparts you with superpowers tied to a genetic backlash cost that will either kill you and/or mutate you beyond recognition and erode your mind?

Really not seeing how he "consented" or brought on his own problems. How he handled his problems were evil and villainous but... Genesis is not the only super soldier who took a perceived and somewhat genuine grievance too far.

He's just not as good at it.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Oh crap! You're right! I totally forgot that he was conceived by Shinra and later sent to be raised in Angeal's town. For some reason, I remembered him being born and raised in the village by an affluent resident, and then later joining Shinra - which I'm obviously mistaken. So, uh, scratch my entire previous post.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
.. How do you consent to your birth?

Especially when said birth imparts you with superpowers tied to a genetic backlash cost that will either kill you and/or mutate you beyond recognition and erode your mind?

Really not seeing how he "consented" or brought on his own problems. How he handled his problems were evil and villainous but... Genesis is not the only super soldier who took a perceived and somewhat genuine grievance too far.

He's just not as good at it.

You are most definitely right. I was clearly mistaken about my earlier and erroneous understanding of Genesis' origins. In light of your information, I obviously have to completely reevaluate my position on Genesis. I guess the reality is I, personally, just don't find the Jenovaites that compelling with the exception of Angeal and Kadaj (only as he is depicted in TKAA). For Genesis, I dunno, maybe in the post-Meterofall world, now that his mind and body are no longer eroding and his arch-enemy Shinra is a mere defunct shadow of itself, he can enjoy his retirement hosting Loveless plays in Edge.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I just noticed that Screen Rant, a big/mainstream site, has actually published a recent article theorising about the remake being tied into Genesis and the 'final crisis'....bizarre to see such a fan topic (and niche even amongst fans) up on a big site, haha. I wonder if the author is here?

Here is the extract:

(Article link is here: https://screenrant.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-ending-dirge-cerberus-cliffhanger/ )

'It's possible that there was another calamity in the future of FF7. Maybe Sephiroth was able to return when someone stumbled across Jenova cells, or maybe another member of Jenova's species arrived on the planet. Whatever crisis Genesis was preparing for, he failed in his mission, and time itself was shattered as a result, possibly as a result of the goddess Minerva from Crisis Core interfering on behalf of her favorite subject.

A future FF7 Remake game could show these events, with Genesis, Red XIII, Vincent, and Weiss trying to stop the end of the world, and failing, leading to the creation of a new one. Aerith and Sephiroth were able to maintain part of their memories of their previous lives in this new world, due to their connection to the Lifestream, which is causing all kinds of problems in this new timeline, prompting FF7 Remake's Whispers to act.'

waw

Pro Adventurer
I'm that guy... I liked Genesis. I can't wait for more.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind his inclusion so long as they retcon his involvement in the Nibelheim incident to remove him from it entirely. He was such an unnecessary addition to it in CC.
I also liked this. Sephiroth's isolation and decent into madness was a little off for me. Not bad, not impossible, but I don't mind seeing his former bestie shove him over the edge just a little bit more. I also wouldn't mind seeing someone other than Sephiroth starting the violence at Nibelheim. After all, we don't know how it started. Did Seph walk out and start slaughtering people? Did one of the villagers attack?

I remain eternally puzzled by the extent of the hatred for Genesis.
I'm there with you.

Lastly, I think another really cool scene could be Sephiroth asking Genesis for help (like he asked Cloud) It would be an interesting role reversal from the Nibelheim reactor and Genesis could have the pleasure of turning him down.
It's like poetry, it rhymes. I'm here for it.

Whatever crisis Genesis was preparing for, he failed in his mission, and time itself was shattered as a result, possibly as a result of the goddess Minerva from Crisis Core interfering on behalf of her favorite subject.
So this is an intriguing thought in that article. One of the things that have stuck with me is the infection of Jenova in Gaia and Gaia's lifestream, even with this negative/black lifestream thing floating around by Advent Children. It's foreign matter that is in Genesis even (Genes, Cells, whatever, not getting into that here).

Omega sucked up lifestream.

Genesis as a planet-savior, party-villain makes the most sense to me as trying to gather up the Jenova-tainted cells and lifestream into Omega to shoot it off planet and purify Gaia. Genesis would then need to possibly kill Cloud to get his Jenova/Seph cells into Omega, regardless of if Cloud was cured/healed of Geostigma by Aerith at the end of AC. It's a way of making Genesis a complicated villain in which even Cloud will struggle.

The motivations aren't wrong. So long as there is a single Jenova Cell left on the planet, Sephiroth could manifest and return. However, it'll involve the killing of countless lives, and a more traditional hero would find a way of combining the lifestreams to let everyone live or something like that. A new personality more dominant than Sephiroth in the Negative Lifestream could possibly override Sephiroth and do the right thing with that Lifestream, whatever that Lifestream is.

A redeemed Remnant OR Zack's Will could be viable paths for that. Zack's Will/Cloud's False Memories would be an interesting protagonist/ally in a game dealing with the end of all this.

I honestly don't see how the saga can satisfactorily end this without addressing something like this. Otherwise, Sephiroth will never be just a memory. There's more I can say here to this, but I don't want to get into any sort of Remake spoilers. At any rate, this could lead to the Junon canon fight part II with Genesis, Sephiroth, and Cloud/Zack/Remnant/Hero/Whatever all fighting once more.

Last edited:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Intergrade felt like a great opportunity to bring him back or at least reference him in a substantial way....the lack of that is disappointing. I wonder if he'll be involved after all, hmm.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Square Enix's marketing tends to put it all on the table before release. Even Remake's final trailer showed a hot second of Zack's last stand and the dome of Whispers over Midgar (super happy I skipped that trailer, though I did have the Zack surprise partially ruined by a thumbnail).

Since Genesis wasn't in Intergrade's final trailer, I pretty much had no hope for a surprise appearance.

Last edited:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
63go75.png

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I don't disagree.

But then, I don't really have any idea of what's in store for the final part of this Remake project. Could be a huge, epic blow-out conclusion. In which case, Genesis feels like a must to me.

Top Bottom