I'm Making a book out of Obstinate Melon's FF7 comic

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The color is actually worse than the preview looks, but it isn't completely terrible. It's just kinda desaturated. Melon didn't exactly use printer friendly colors in his comic. Hope you enjoy the book! I hope Lic figured things out too, you two were the people I was the most excited to get this thing to.

I think you might be worrying a bit too much, Odysseus. SE doesn't have a track record of shutting down fan art or fan authors. Crim makes his living selling Final Fantasy fan art and hobnobs with the VAs, so I'd be surprised if SE have never heard of him. They shut down that big video project for the now-obvious reason that they were working on their own Remake. I don't think they ever shut down the guy who made and sold a visual novel based on Before Crisis. I think you'll be fine.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I should probably tell melon that. Thank you for letting me know! It's actually Nintendo who had me worried with all their fan project shut downs recently, I guess I should have checked if square had a similar track record or not.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Mine arrived today!! That's crazy. Ordered Sunday and here it is, all the way from California apparently. Even our own Royal Mail isn't that fast.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this. And as always huge thanks to Obstinate Melon <3

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I feel like their shipping methods must have improved, my older books took two weeks to arrive but these have arrived much faster. Thanks for getting a copy! I'd love to know what you think of the... I dunno, "design" of the book whenever you read it.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Whoops, I got so caught up in B U T T E R F I N G E R that I didn't see your message, Twi. I hope you enjoy the book! Keep your eyes peeled for stupid nonsense I threw in for no reason.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm not going to have any real updates for the second book for a long time, but I figure I can share some stuff I make along the way. Here's a little bit of aesthetic photography I was going to use for the bottom of the pages, but it didn't really work out so I just reused the one from the first book. I like how it came out, anyway:
20200308_090348.jpg

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay, still no updates on the second book really, it's gonna be a while. I was thinking though, the back of the first book was a parody of the original disc case:
TCiEf3w_d.webp

4DBDlBdRFKRN8bsLepJhgO8WfUL0P2gfsfw_wx-CoI5vXoOKVdf-ZUohHjwt3PxYlPDDYStqKR_dXr3U2ePrdGCFD2daZDSIT_v-XlO5s2lkmxTceGo

I can't just reuse that joke, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what I could do with the second one? I know I should probably come up with it myself butoutsourcing is easier I thought it could be a fun community thing. This is the book where Aeris dies, so I've been stuck between making it comedic or making it more sentimental.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
"Confused by the numbers casserole in a sentence like 'the second half of the first disc of 'Final Fantasy VII'? No worries, the solution is simple: don't buy this book. Actually, no one should, but those of you who aren't confused are fully aware of how you're ripping yourself off with this purchase. You've no one to blame but yourselves.

Anyway, so yes. Book 2 of 'Final Fantasy VII: The Sevening' is here at long last and covers the second half of the first disc of 'Final Fantasy VII.' ...Meaning the original full game. Not Part 1 of the as-yet incomplete remake of 'Final Fantasy VII,' creatively entitled 'Final Fantasy VII Remake' for ~mysterious~ reasons (but not really; we picked up on the play on words pretty much right away, Nomura-san; thanks anyway for trying; stop playing these ~two meanings~ word games; you're 50 fucking years old, and this is the kind of shit I thought would make my writing deep when I was 10).

Book 2 of 'Final Fantasy VII: The Sevening' features:

- A very loose, nearly unrecognizable adaptation of the second half of the first disc of 'Final Fantasy VII Not the Remake'

- Other stuff I ran out of room to describe because I was explaining the bullshit going on with the title"

Only nostalgic for the PAL region audiences, but the backside of the game manual might be used for a future Obstinate Melon FF7 book. If not for the front or back, then perhaps for a page inside the book?

memory-card-ff7.png

Heck, it might be a joke advertisement for Book 1 inside of Book 2. It's funny because why would you have Part 2 and not have already bought Part 1 :wacky:

Book 1: The essential purchase!

The Versus guide and its artwork has gained some notoriety over the years, so perhaps some inspiration might be found there.

- Download link to Versus Books FF7 guide
- Download link to FFVII PAL game manual

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Only nostalgic for the PAL region audiences, but the backside of the game manual might be used for a future Obstinate Melon FF7 book. If not for the front or back, then perhaps for a page inside the book?

Heck, it might be a joke advertisement for Book 1 inside of Book 2. It's funny because why would you have Part 2 and not have already bought Part 1 :wacky:

Book 1: The essential purchase!

The Versus guide and its artwork has gained some notoriety over the years, so perhaps some inspiration might be found there.

- Download link to Versus Books FF7 guide
- Download link to FFVII PAL game manual
Yeah now this is the shit I had in mind. I had the esrb rating on the back of book 1 but I could do pegi on book 2, and having a fake ad in there is a great idea I never thought of, really adds to the 90's magazine feeling I was going for.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Oh man, how have I only just found out about this comic? Gone through all 439 pages already, fecking hilarious! ? It’s still updating, right? ?
I talk to melon every week or so still. I don't want to get too deep into it, but life has got him really down for the past year or so, and his page output has slowed quite a bit. I can tell you that's he has the next page started, though I don't know exactly how much of it he has drawn (he told me about half.)

Maybe this is weird to ask, but if you enjoyed his comic would you mind saying something on his page? I think that would make him happy.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Did anybody ask for more a e s t h e t i c ff7 photography? No? Too bad!
noG2Qjp_d.webp
This is for the credits page of the second book. I went to a local botanical garden to take some pictures of her with flowers but I found this little house and thought it was cute.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Hey kids I need your opinions. Does this table of contents look cool?
Capture2.JPG
The first book doesn't have those images of the locations in it, but I thought it would spice up what would otherwise be two mostly black pages, I'm a little worried it makes the text too hard to read though. Since his comic doesn't have chapters, I decided when making book 1 to just break things up by location and make up my own dumb little "chapter" names to designate the different story beats. Also feel free to appreciate/hate all the dumb jokes I made in those chapter names lol.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Wicked cool :neo:

I don't find it overly hard to read but it does require me to concentrate a little bit because there is so much going on. Very interesting table of contents though and I honestly think it's good enough for printing.
Yeah I was worried it looks a little too busy. I guess it doesn't really matter though, I mostly just added ToC for the sake of making it more like a real book, not because I thought anyone would use it lol.

Top Bottom