• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Inside FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Video Series

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
All good points. I'll point out, though, that in the new-neato-intro movie it shows city construction looking exactly like normal city construction: closed streets, people in vests, and a hydraulic excavator with a hand (is it automated?) Building the pillars and the Plate's foundation I can see happening in 30 years, but the skyscrapers, brick buildings, neighborhoods, on top of that? It just beggars belief that Shinra Sr. was responsible for it all. I wouldn't have minded a retcon saying that Midgar and Shinra's rise to power was several generations coming, because the problems it presents aren't as big head scratchers to me (you're saying that anyone over 30 lived in towns that predate Midgar, but no one can remember their names?). But that would mean contradicting the Ultimania, which they (understandably) don't want to do. Soooo here we are :)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
But what if the Shinra buy out and consolidation of property and towns encompassing Midgar happened even before the Plate was constructed?

When cities get built or incorporated, it's a piecemeal process over time. New York City was once just a tiny trading post until population growth and development absorbed burrough after burrough until it became the metropolis it is today.

In the past, Midgar may have been a consolidated city-state even before it became the technologically advanced Mako City it is now.

I think there's a reason why there are town-like ruins that lie buried beneath Midgar. And I wouldn't be surprised if over time, they literally tried rebuilding the towns that existed beforehand on the upper plate and left the original buildings behind to be buried by progress.

Ite

AKA
Ite
But what if the Shinra buy out and consolidation of property and towns encompassing Midgar happened even before the Plate was constructed?

When cities get built or incorporated, it's a piecemeal process over time. New York City was once just a tiny trading post until population growth and development absorbed burrough after burrough until it became the metropolis it is today.

In the past, Midgar may have been a consolidated city-state even before it became the technologically advanced Mako City it is now.

I think there's a reason why there are town-like ruins that lie buried beneath Midgar. And I wouldn't be surprised if over time, they literally tried rebuilding the towns that existed beforehand on the upper plate and left the original buildings behind to be buried by progress.

Right, that makes a lot more sense, but is that what "Midgar was built in 30 years" is meant to suggest? Or is it us being IB students and trying to make sense of it? Because it sounds like what you describe is in direct opposition to what the official word is.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
They're referring to the Plate structure city being built. The Midgar we know and see in VII.

But I think Shinra more than likely consolidated their power and control well before then, when they were a powerful weapons manufacturing corporation. They more than likely were established and pushing forward with control, well before the Plate was being constructed.

How else would they even be able to move forward with such an ambitious project anyways? They would have to have owned the property/cities from the start in order to begin building and raising up towns to live in a "floating city."

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I've always found midgar to kind of be an aberration on FF7's world. No other location in the game even seems to be post industrial revolution besides Junon, Shinra's other town. It's just this huge technological tumor on FF7'S otherwise low tech world. Like something happened in the past that rapidly advanced technology at a rate the rest of the world couldn't match. There are no other cities besides Midgar, after all.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
You people really think that 30 years is... too little time to build Midgar? :huh:

You've never been to Eastern Asian countries like Japan or China, have you?

A skyscraper was built in the first area I lived in (in the countryside) in two years. A block of flats was given to the public in sixteen months. Two subway lines finished construction in one year. I lived there for four years before moving to a big city and there was a small town there, when there were only fields when I had first arrived there.

By Japanese standards, 30 years is enough to build a nation. :wacky:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
That is a good point, especially if one compares Japan from the 1950s to the 1980s the explosion in industrialization/urbanization was amazing. I guess for Japanese developers/audiences the suspension of disbelief in regards to rapid urbanization is far different due to their own history.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Hmmm.... It might be because I've always lived in well-preserved old cities, or Vancouver (which is in a rainforest) so construction is sluggish at best.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Oh yeah, definitely. The Japanese saw their economic boom when Kitase and co. were young; a game released in the 90s would be created by such people. It's the same in China right now: they build and build and build... Oh, they became the hotspot of pollution in the meantime? Whoops. :shifty:

Hey, that's Midgar...

FFVII is a VERY eastern game.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Is there a way to tell whether certain scene snippets that were shown are from optional outcomes (like Barret reacting differently depending on how long you set the timer for) rather than predetermined scenes? There are supposed to be a lot of choices in this game and scenes that play out differently depending on those choices. But we've barely seen any information about it.

Jairus

Nomura said so himself in an interview quite a while back. He said there were a lot of choices and choices-dependent events and scenes in the game and that that was part of why it needed to be on 2 blurays. For all the possible outcomes, presumably.

Like the original game, Final Fantasy 7 Remake has many dialogues choices to pick for Cloud. For example, there are different dialogue choices to pick when Cloud meets Aerith, just like in the original game. Tetsuya Nomura mentioned they made plenty of different reactions for each character depending on your choices, along with new choices-related events, making the game even bigger.

https://www.dualshockers.com/tetsuya-nomura-details-final-fantasy-7-remake/

There are quite a bit of dialogue options. We are making it so the dialogue changes depending on your response, so the sheer volume of dialogue has increased.

https://www.gematsu.com/2019/06/fin...event-new-events-dialogue-options-and-enemies

The way the montage at the end of the demo went, for example, it seems to imply we don't have a choice as to whether to buy the flower or not. But that contradicts what Nomura said, that there are choices we can make when we meet Aerith, and presumably, buying or not buying the flower is likely one of them just as it was in the OG. Which would mean that the scenes from Chapter 2 onward that show Cloud with the flower on him also happen without it (or in some cases, not at all) if you choose not to buy it. They just haven't shown us those versions, perhaps. Probably to surprise us and add replayability to the game.

Last edited:

pxp

Pro Adventurer
The way the montage at the end of the demo went, for example, it seems to imply we don't have a choice as to whether to buy the flower or not. But that contradicts what Nomura said, that there are choices we can make when we meet Aerith, and presumably, buying or not buying the flower is likely one of them just as it was in the OG. Which would mean that the scenes from Chapter 2 onward that show Cloud with the flower on him also happen without it (or in some cases, not at all) if you choose not to buy it. They just haven't shown us those versions, perhaps. Probably to surprise us and add replayability to the game.
This has been confirmed by Max Dood.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
You people really think that 30 years is... too little time to build Midgar? :huh:

You've never been to Eastern Asian countries like Japan or China, have you?

A skyscraper was built in the first area I lived in (in the countryside) in two years. A block of flats was given to the public in sixteen months. Two subway lines finished construction in one year. I lived there for four years before moving to a big city and there was a small town there, when there were only fields when I had first arrived there.

By Japanese standards, 30 years is enough to build a nation. :wacky:
See also: Mumbai. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Btw, did anyone else notice that they've seemingly resurrected the original, dummied out appearance of the Honey Bee Inn? The whole lobby appearance that it was originally gonna have?

I wonder if the Shinra Manager will be discovered as a patron there now....

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
UAE-photo.png

Edit: Here's a better comparison of how Dubai has grown in 30 years:

EPFpbW0X4AEHp_U.jpg

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Btw, did anyone else notice that they've seemingly resurrected the original, dummied out appearance of the Honey Bee Inn? The whole lobby appearance that it was originally gonna have?

I wonder if the Shinra Manager will be discovered as a patron there now....
Considering the glow-up he got, the Shinra Manager might be an employee there...

Jairus

Yes

Good!
So it seems that SE's only been showing us the "with-flower" versions of certain scenes (or versions of scenes that can happen if you have the flower and make certain other choices) since that's what most people will likely do and remember anyway, even though showing only those versions makes it seem like we've got no choice when really, we do.

Top Bottom