Inside FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Video Series

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
They're definitely not showing their full hand quite yet. Look at all the Wall Market stuff they put out just last week, we didn't know a damn thing about any of those new characters whatsoever. They could've easily held onto that until launch and noone who hadn't looked at the datamine would've been any the wiser.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I'm surprised they even talked about the trio at all. It definitely means that they are at a lower "tier" than the actual main characters, which is about 1000x than what they previously were lol

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I am glad they did get a mention, and I'm hoping they're holding back on talking much about them to keep from spoiling how they've expanded them. Did you mean that the trio was being put just below the main characters as far as importance to the story of Part 1, Oty? That would be nice, yeah. I just hope that, like I said above, they don't shut Jessie out of the chance to get the flower. It's small in the larger scheme of things, true, but it would give Cloud (and thus, us) a chance to directly do something nice for her that he (and we) couldn't before and add a new twist to the familiar classic choice from the original game. Familiar but different, like the remake itself.

donkeyjack

Pro Adventurer
They referred to Cloud as a former member of an elite force called SOLDIER. We know it's a lie. They keep stuff under wraps. Even if it's stuff in the original game but not well-known to the general public.

That's kind of well-known. Especially if you played Crisis Core.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
"Tifa, the heroine of the game" Ooftt, well that's going to ruffle some feathers! :pinkmonster:

I do like what they said about Aerith though about her being curious and kind and cheerful and optimistic that's my wife! :aeriball::joy:

I think it's quite clear that they want to keep the surprise about Aerith because she is so important. To me it's always been clear that FFVII has 2 heroines, Aerith, whose story is tied to the overall plot of FFVII, and Tifa, whose story is tied to Cloud's. Remove one and the plot fails. It's really neat in the way it's constructed, narratively-speaking, because you need both girls to succeed, moreso than any other member of the party.

Also listening to those two speaking about FFVII (R)'s stories was really, really neat. I need more of that.

donkeyjack

Pro Adventurer
Not necessarily. You could draw the conclusion that Cloud joined SOLDIER in the time between the “living legacy” scene and the secret ending. It’s only when Cloud narrates his version of the Nibelheim Incident that CC fans are gonna flip, and that isn’t in this game.

How? That's not possible at all. How would he join SOLDIER between those times? I MEAN WHAT???? I'm kind of stupid. Can you explain?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
How? That's not possible at all. How would he join SOLDIER between those times? I MEAN WHAT???? I'm kind of stupid. Can you explain?
Someone only familiar with CC's story is not going to know that's not possible. CC doesn't really get into the story of the original game, so one could still think Cloud walked away from that hill and then joined SOLDIER once he was in Midgar.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Someone only familiar with CC's story is not going to know that's not possible. CC doesn't really get into the story of the original game, so one could still think Cloud walked away from that hill and then joined SOLDIER once he was in Midgar.

Exactly that. If you’ve only played CC, the story doesn’t show you anything between Cloud walking towards Midgar with the Buster Sword, and him showing up on the train car during the secret ending. It doesn’t even tell you how much time has passed, so it would be easy to jump to an assumption that *enough* time had passed for Cloud to join SOLDIER. His line “Ore wa Cloud, SOLDIER, Class First” is the only information you get, it doesn’t even tell you that he’s an ‘ex’ SOLDIER or what he’s doing on that train.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
And with that perspective in mind, the Remake will raise many questions for those types of players and allow for them to experience VII in a way that still allows the mystery of Cloud's identity to exist, but also call attention to the fact he's quite the unreliable narrator.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

The thing is though, why would Cloud go join up with the people that were trying to kill him? Shinra killed Zack. Why would Cloud want to go back to them?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The thing is though, why would Cloud go join up with the people that were trying to kill him? Shinra killed Zack. Why would Cloud want to go back to them?
Oh, I'm not saying it makes sense. :monster:

I'm just saying someone who played CC and saw that ending could understandably conclude that this is what happened, with Cloud now claiming to be an ex-SOLDIER and acting like this confident badass. At the very least, one would probably consider that possibility sooner than what actually happened. XD

Jairus

According to the timeline, that could have happened almost two months after Zack's death. One wonders what Cloud might've been doing in all that time if it didn't happen closer to the beginning of the game, though. Midgar wasn't that far away, after all, and it wouldn't have taken Cloud more than a day or two to get there at most. Was he just sitting there at the train station for two whole months? Or as seems more likely, could Tifa have found him there much sooner than that? He was still out of it when she did, which means it probably wasn't long after Zack's death since he was still not completely aware yet and his merc persona didn't form until she found him.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I always thought that Tifa nursed him back to health (or, some resemblance of health, considering his mental state) and once Cloud was able to function again, she convinced Barret to take him for the job. I mean, it'd make sense why she wants to keep an eye on him; she'd know he's not well.

Jairus

@Elisa Maza Except that, as Mako has pointed out before and as the game showed, he snapped right to his senses as soon as he saw Tifa. He was fine just moments later, so there would have been no need to nurse him to health. Plus what Force just said.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
Isn't it just one month after Zack's death to first bombing mission?
Cloud's twist is much bigger twist than Aerith's fate tbh. It's confusing even for people whom only played OG once, that's why they're trying to hide it.

Almost everyone knows Snape kills Aerith though. It's one of the most famous scene. You can't possibly hide it anymore.

Jairus

No. Zack died near the end of September. The first bombing mission doesn't happen until December 9, according to the official timeline. That's just over two months. Incidentally, considering that this game happens largely in winter, we see almost nothing of winter weather in the whole game except when in the Northern Continent. I guess they don't get snow anywhere else...

Reactions: LNK

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Some nice new goodies in there again. Love it! I can hear the remade version of the original Hurry and Barret's Theme, as well as another version of the boss theme.

I'm pretty sure this was already known but it's cool that Classic Mode was added in as a result of feedback from E3. Not that I plan to use it first time round, but it's still cool.

Top Bottom