Ivalice Alliance/the Final Fantasy Tactics Page

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
You must be smelling your own upper lip cause I told you to stop acting like one, not that you are one.

The exact quote I got infracted for was, "What are you people, idiots?"

Notice that I didn't literally call anyone an idiot either, then stop being such a God damned hypocrite.

As for the general argument: "Use Zodiark, he's really fucking powerful" is not a strategy. There were a few good tactics suggested in my absence, but nothing I've seen that can really overthrow my verdict, as I've known about most of them already, & they don't really constitute "strategy."

Let me explain that last part: "Use bubble" is a nice little trick, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "strategy." The exact description used for the Espers was, "Strategic chess pieces."

So, I'm sorry if anyone feels as though I'm "shifting the goal posts," but I really don't see how "use bubble" justifies that description.

As a last resort, I was going to turn to the guide & see if it had any merit, in case anyone couldn't put up & didn't shut up. However, I see little point in it, since I've already announced that I'm leaving the forum, & am now doing little more than spreading that announcement.

I may still do my last resort, as I'll undoubtedly get this criticism again, but it won't be here.

Either way, I would like to formally thank you all. I wanted to confirm my suspicions that the "you don't think strategically" people were full of shit, & I did.

Flame me if you want, but the odds that I'll see anything posted on this thread are slim. I'd wait until I make my departure thread, then assuming it doesn't get closed, you can yuck it up in there.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Two words.

Cry. Moar.

You're so damn good at it, man. It's almost an art form for you. Carry on my wayward son. There'll be peace when you are done.

And what counts as a strategy then, Neo? What's the advice and tips that were give without copying and pasting from a FAQ/strategy guide? What would be "strategy?" Goal post shift #4. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll twist it up and be right, sometime. The law of averages is on your side!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm not sure what you want them to tell you. You said they were useless, they gave you some uses. Are you waiting for them to use some specific buzzword? Zalera OHKO-ing something is a strategy, especially if you're in immediate danger, what do you want exactly?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Lol this is a joke, you guys may as well give up.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
Lol this is a joke, you guys may as well give up.

That is exactly how I feel.

Some uses were given. I freely admit that. However, ask yourself honestly: Was the statement, "More often than not, you can handle the situation better without the Esper" REALLY disproven?

SHOULD I revoke my statement that the Espers are useless, for the most part?

I'm sorry that you feel I'm being vague, but I just don't think any of that was refuted here.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That is exactly how I feel.

Some uses were given. I freely admit that. However, ask yourself honestly: Was the statement, "More often than not, you can handle the situation better without the Esper" REALLY disproven?

SHOULD I revoke my statement that the Espers are useless, for the most part?

I'm sorry that you feel I'm being vague, but I just don't think any of that was refuted here.

And clearly if you don't think so, you're absolutely right. We've just lost the game.

I guess we better put some more tokens in and play "Convince the Neo Bahamut" again. If it's not able to meet your impartial, unbiased and fair minded standards of "strategy" and usefulness, then it just is shit. It's not like you shifted the goal posts and requirements that you specifically asked for yourself in the argument like a capricious Siamese cat! You're just right! Who the fuck would actually think there was a strategy to use those stupid things? They're without purpose, reason, or value. Utter shenanigans of game development I say!

I don't think you're being vague at all. I think you're just being a stubbornly immature to prove yourself right. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I never really used espers much myself, but now I feel like reading up on them and seeing what I was missing :monster:

In much more interesting news (stuff about me), I started playing FFTA-2 :monster: I'm liking the battle system.

I tried to pick up FFT again today, but it just pissed me off after losing 3 random battles in a row. I thought the enemy levels might depend on the characters in the battle, but apparently not. Hence me fighting monsters 5 levels higher than me with normal attacks taking half my HP in one go :monster: Most of my generic characters just end up dying quickly and the special characters don't have the abilities. I've got to the point where I'm thinking about looking for some (possibly modified) save data just so I can finish the fucking thing.

Is it worth changing jobs for special characters (Algrias, Mustadio, Lusso, Rafa, Malak)? (Except maybe the chemist? job.) It's been that long since I played it, I would have forgotten everything if it weren't for FFTA-2 :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Not for the whole job, I'd say no. I do often switch special characters to something like chemist for just long enough to learn auto-potion and then switch back.

I never used Espers either, I always kinda thought they were more trouble than they were worth myself :P I never got Zodiark.
The far more egregious error in XII if you ask me, is how they pronounce "Marquis," damn that gets on my nerves.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I don't think I ever used Auto-Potion. I mostly wanted Item Throw and Phoenix Down and High/X Potion abilities :monster:

I had Mustadio as a summoner, but I just got tired of dying all the time :monster: Having him as a machinist made the last fight easier (I still failed, though).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I love auto-potion, especially since it uses whatever the lowest potion you have is. So once potions don't help any more, sell'em all and just buy a bunch of hi-potions, and then move onto to x-potions, etc.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I was under the impression that Auto-Potion would only use the ones you have the ability for, but now I'm definitely tempted to learn it :monster:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
This thread needs less FFXII and moar FFT, imo.

Also, Chemist job class SUCKS. But at least it's better than Archer =/

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Auto-potion still makes chemist worth it ^_^ And they can use guns, which was a big deal before Balthier was put into the game.

yeah, Archer's only good very briefly in the beginning of the game. I love me some Dragoons myself, but I always love dragoons.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Eh. The guns don't really make up for it, imo. And Auto-Potion is teh suck, really. Math Skill is the ultimate power in the game, tbh. It does everything that you could possibly want =/

Archers were useful in FFTA, though, but only the second version that the Viera give you (Assassin or Sharpshooter, I think?).

Sharpshooters were amazing and Assassins could be your best unit if I'm remembering correctly. With the right moves, some Ultima thing, you could be shooting almost anywhere on the board and hitting 200+ damage. It would drain your MP though... and then in the next game you have Vieras with moves like "Blood Price?" where it uses HP rather than MP... they were awesome. I'm pretty sure I had two Assassins and one Summoner/White Mage.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
No FUCKING way.

They brought back the old Darkness ability?

Whoa. Maybe I should get FFTA2...

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Sharpshooters were amazing and Assassins could be your best unit if I'm remembering correctly. With the right moves, some Ultima thing, you could be shooting almost anywhere on the board and hitting 200+ damage. It would drain your MP though... and then in the next game you have Vieras with moves like "Blood Price?" where it uses HP rather than MP... they were awesome. I'm pretty sure I had two Assassins and one Summoner/White Mage.
I'm now also tempted to try to make my Viera in FFTA2 an Assassin, which I just got :awesome:

Here's how to have an awesome Viera *pulls out the ole strategy guide cause I forget the details of how to get what job*

Get your Viera to be a Red Mage (one fencer and one white mage), then learn two Red Mage moves to get Spellblade. The Buster Sword is what teaches you Blood Price, HP rather than MP. To get Assassins you need to start with two white mage abilities to get elementalist, and then learn two elementalist. You'll also need two archer abilities, and then one sniper ability. The weapon with Ultima Masher is Zanmato. Learn it, equip her with the best bow you can find, and you have an amazing attack with huge range.

It seems like a lot but SO totally worth it. You'll be attacking with Ultima Masher every turn, except for the few you need to heal. Having her have either good summoning healing magic or just some white magic helps the HP she's loosing. The Fencer reaction ability Reflex (dodge all non-ranged attacks) is helpful for keeping her a bit more safe, or Regenerate (cast Regen after taking damage).

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Oh, if I have one real criticism of FFXII, it was the shameful lack of Blue Magic in the game. The enemies have enough funky spells, you'd think they could easily include it as a complement. However, it wasn't to be... :(

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
Final Fantasy Tactics will always be one of my favorite games of all time. Its amazing. Story wise it has a wonderful main character. Music, It is one of the best square has ever done, and it sports the greatest port in existence.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I assume this is the right thread for a general Final Fantasy Tactics discussion? Had this game for PSP for a while now but I never completed it, I remember getting stuck and giving up. I now know that this game requires quite a bit of grind.

So early days for me at the moment, I've just completed the Squire job for Rasma, what should he be next, Chemist or Knight? :huh:

Top Bottom