Least favourite character in ACC?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
AC/CoT are both full of bullshit so I'm not even going to get into that.

But I'm guessing you've never been that depressed. When life fucks you over, you don't want to hear how good you have it, or how you're not alone. You don't care. Especially when you get a death sentence from an incurable disease. Cloud is a fucked up person, beyond fucked up. His childhood was crap, his teenage years were completely robbed from him, he was experimented on, and his mental health was destroyed. The backlash from that is more than anyone can handle, and it's a lot more complicated that "manning up". A slap in the face only makes people in situations like that feel even worse, and it's a pretty immature way of dealing with the situation.

You can argue that Cloud in FF7 could have handled all that, but given the context it works in AC.
I like that Zack always had that fighting spirit, but it wasn't like that 24/7. You act like Zack only felt one emotion, but that's not true at all.
No, it's his primary emotion and the driving force behind his character. CC is anime inspired tripe full of all the typical tropes and horribly written dialogue full of crap pulled out of thin air with a laughable connection to FF7. Also, lol bittersweet. Zack's story is very similar to the crap you see in shonen anime, with a FF touch. It ruined the real tragic way Zack died in FF7, and the harshness of the whole thing, by pretting it with his talk with Cloud before dying, him rising up out of his body with the shitty J-Pop playing in the background. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
But I'm guessing you've never been that depressed. When life fucks you over, you don't want to hear how good you have it, or how you're not alone. You don't care
Very much this, which is why I hate it when people say Cloud and Tifa aren't good because Cloud wasn't happy in ACC. Love and friendship does NOT heal the kind of wounds Cloud has, trust me. I've been there.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
AC/CoT are full of bullshit so I'm not even going to get into that.

Finally, we agree. :awesome:

But I'm guessing you've never been that depressed.

Oh, wow. >_>; Well, I won't bring my personal life into the discussion, but it's kind of wrong for people to assume that about someone that they don't know. That''s like me assuming you and Que don't have any friends, because you don't seem to recognize the importance of friendship.

When life fucks you over, you don't want to hear how good you have it, or how you're not alone. You don't care. Especially when you get a death sentence from an incurable disease.

I know that when you're depressed, that you stop caring. No one ever told Cloud how good he had it, they only encouraged him not to give up, not to forget that he can be happy. No one wants to hear that kind of crap when they're depressed, that's the whole point! That's why depression is so dangerous. When you sink in too deep, it can lead to some serious problems. That's why Cloud's friends are trying to help him. And they DO succeed, so what are they supposed to do, just let him sit there are mope? No, of course not. No one is going to abandon Cloud, and leave him to his own problems. Tifa's words to him, actually ended up helping him later on, when he realized (because of Aerith) what those words meant. She made a good point by saying the bit about Denzel, who didn't run away and felt like SHIT because Cloud left the family. Aerith also brought up this when Cloud says he wants to be forgiven: "By who?"
Implying that she never blamed him at all, and saying things like: "You came for me. That's all that matters". Cloud has to be told these things, constantly. And it gets annoying to me, because he should have already figured this out by now. His mentality is still like a child's- can't blame him for it, but I don't really like it either. I can't help that I don't like it- I just don't. He hasn't made the wisest decisions, despite what all of his friends have always done for him.

Cloud is a fucked up person, beyond fucked up. His childhood was crap, his teenage years were completely robbed from him, he was experimented on, and his mental health was destroyed.

Don't forget- other people suffered too. I'd argue that Aerith suffered more than Cloud did, especially since she ended up dying in the end. Aerith never had a normal life, was in a lot of danger, had the burden of being half-Cetra, never living a normal life, never knowing her real parents, and yet it's this- this amazing type of personality she has, where she can stay optimistic. Where she can rely on her friends, and realize how much they care for her. It's those types of personalities, that I really do admire. I never said I didn't appreciate what Cloud did, either. I just don't look up to his character. I don't get why he's the cat's meow among fans. I appreciate other characters more. I prefer characters that despite the hard times, can still appreciate the world around them.

A slap in the face only makes people in situations like that feel even worse, and it's a pretty immature way of dealing with the situation.

It ended up not being immature, when I say a slap to the face, I think of Tifa being harsh with him and telling him like it is. That ended up helping him. What she did, was pushed Cloud further without telling him all of the answers. She didn't spoon feed him, or treat him like a baby- she treated him like an adult. Cloud drew his own conclusions and grew on his own, thanks to her help. Without people like that, people like Cloud can't get to the point where they're happy again. I mean, look at poor Vincent who is probably NEVER going to move on, because he doesn't really have anyone to talk to him in that way. It's characters that just know the right thing to say, that really encourage myself to be better. Cloud, like Vincent, seems dull.

CC is anime inspired tripe full of all the typical tropes and horribly written dialogue full of crap pulled out of thin air with a laughable connection to FF7

Well, it wasn't that bad to me. xD

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Oh, wow. >_>; Well, I won't bring my personal life into the discussion, but it's kind of wrong for people to assume that about someone that they don't know. That''s like me assuming you and Que don't have any friends, because you don't seem to recognize the importance of friendship.

Nope, it's not. It's only natural that I'd make the connection that'd you're the type of person that's strong enough to deal with those sort of things without wanting to kill yourself when things get tough from the way you've carried yourself in this conversation and the things you've said.

Whether or not it's true is another matter, but it's by no means an illogical conclusion. It takes more than friendship to overcome deep depression. It's something you have to get over on your own in the end, and if you don't, you can wind up doing something really stupid. Friends can push you in the right direction, but in the end you can't save someone who doesn't want to save themselves, which I know from personal experience.
. Cloud has to be told these things, constantly.
People need to know that other people care, it doesn't matter how often. Looking over the course of my life, I've needed that quite a few times.
And it gets annoying to me, because he should have already figured this out by now. His mentality is still like a child's- can't blame him for it, but I don't really like it either. I can't help that I don't like it- I just don't. He hasn't made the wisest decisions, despite what all of his friends have always done for him.
It's annoying that he's human? A lot of grown people would struggle with the shit he's been through, and many of them would have killed themselves over it. The fact that he's overcome that, means a lot.

Don't forget- other people suffered too. I'd argue that Aerith suffered more than Cloud did, especially since she ended up dying in the end. Aerith never had a normal life, was in a lot of danger, had the burden of being half-Cetra, never living a normal life, never knowing her real parents, and yet it's this- this amazing type of personality she has, where she can stay optimistic. Where she can rely on her friends, and realize how much they care for her. It's those types of personalities, that I really do admire. I never said I didn't appreciate what Cloud did, either. I just don't look up to his character. I don't get why he's the cat's meow among fans. I appreciate other characters more.
Aerith was never mind raped, and drugged, experimented on, and lost her mind entirely. That's WHY she could do those things. She had hardships, but she was allowed to grow as a person. Cloud wasn't.

I prefer characters that despite the hard times, can still appreciate the world around them.
Exactly how has Cloud not done this? He had one instance, ONE where he desperately needed help and was all doom and gloom. By the end of AC, he was back to his old self.

It ended up not being immature, when I say a slap to the face, I think of Tifa being harsh with him and telling him like it is. That ended up helping him. What she did, was pushed Cloud further without telling him all of the answers. She didn't spoon feed him, or treat him like a baby- she treated him like an adult. Cloud drew his own conclusions and grew on his own, thanks to her help. Without people like that, people like Cloud can't get to the point where they're happy again. I mean, look at poor Vincent who is probably NEVER going to move on, because he doesn't really have anyone to talk to him in that way. It's characters that just know the right thing to say, that really encourage myself to be better. Cloud, like Vincent, seems dull.
Well, that's bullshit. Several times in FF7, Cloud knew what to say or do to help his friends. He was not constantly HURR DURR when people needed him, like Squall was in FF8. Cloud only needed that help in AC when all the weight of the world was on him, his guilt, his death sentence, and the fact that he couldn't help anyone again were too much for him to handle. His friends helped him, just like he helped them through their trials.

Well, it wasn't that bad to me. xD
You like a character that's an unmitigated whore, SO BLEH ON YOU.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Nope, it's not. It's only natural that I'd make the connection that'd you're the type of person that's strong enough to deal with those sort of things without wanting to kill yourself when things get tough from the way you've carried yourself in this conversation and the things you've said.

I see. I'm more like that now, but in the past... not so much at all. I don't even want to think about it. X_x

It takes more than friendship to overcome deep depression. It's something you have to get over on your own in the end, and if you don't, you can wind up doing something really stupid. Friends can push you in the right direction, but in the end you can't save someone who doesn't want to save themselves, which I know from personal experience.

Exactly, that's what I just said in my post further on, basically. I said that Cloud had to draw his own conclusions, because that's the only way you can over come it. You can't only just rely on JUST friendship, you yourself, must realize the truth of the matter. I was saying that without his friends though, Cloud would not have been able to do that. I got the impression that you (and Que) are saying that friendship and love don't matter in the situation, but they do matter quite a bit. Without them, Cloud never could have made it to the end with a smile.

People need to know that other people care, it doesn't matter how often. Looking over the course of my life, I've needed that quite a few times.

To me it's like... sorry to bring her into it so much, but Tifa. What Tifa says in that one scene is EXACTLY how I feel about the situation.
"You're going to give up and die, is that it? So it is."
Cloud- There's no cure.
"Yeah, but that's not stopping Denzel, is it? Don't run. Let's fight it together. We can help eachother, I know we can."
Then Cloud goes on to say, that he's not good enough for anyone.
That's when it goes to the part where Reno says,
"I think she wants you to move on."
Exactly. What I think.

It's annoying that he's human? A lot of grown people would struggle with the shit he's been through, and many of them would have killed themselves over it. The fact that he's overcome that, means a lot.

Lol, God no. It's not annoying that he's human, it's annoying that he hasn't figured the obvious facts out yet. And he didn't do it on his own. I appreciate Cloud's friends more than I actually appreciate Cloud.

Aerith was never mind raped, and drugged, experimented on, and lost her mind entirely. That's WHY she could do those things. She had hardships, but she was allowed to grow as a person. Cloud wasn't.

I'm just trying to say that other people have had bad things happen to them. Why is CLOUD so special that other people's problems should be ignored? I don't think anyone's problems should be ignored just because one person has supposedly suffered more than another. Aerith was surveilanced for who knows how long, ShinRa was always pestering her and invading her life, and she never got to live a normal life. And she always wanted to. What Aerith had to realize, was what she had to do for the planet because of who she really is. She wanted to live a normal life, wanted to live by Cloud's side... but she made the ultimate choice. And how did she do this and come to this realization? on her own. That still amazes me. Aerith died in vain if Cloud is going to act like that. It blows my mind that he of all people, can't recognize that. The same goes for Zack, too. That's why he needed to be told FINALLY in a harsher way like I posted above. For me, I was saying: "It's about god damn time" by the end of AC.

Exactly how has Cloud not done this? He had one instance, ONE where he desperately needed help and was all doom and gloom. By the end of AC, he was back to his old self.

I wouldn't say one. After Aerith died, things fell apart.

Several times in FF7, Cloud knew what to say or do to help his friends. He was not constantly HURR DURR when people needed him, like Squall was in FF8.

I guess that's true enough. xD

You like a character that's an unmitigated whore, SO BLEH ON YOU.

YOU LEAVE HER OUT OF THIS. :rage:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You're underestimating the degree of depression the man went through, and at the same time acting like it's what defines his character.

Cloud is special, because unlike everyone else he never developed those skills that let them survive in a harsh world, and cope with their problems. Aerith grew as a person, and learned from the people she loved how to live, and be strong. Cloud didn't. Then all of these terrible things happened to him, and he was forced to keep moving through, instead of sitting down and dealing with all of it. Jenova pushing him and fucking with his mind constantly didn't help. Then once everything is settled, all of a sudden he's dying. When you go through that, you think of all things you did, you didn't do, and your failings. Cloud's were fresh in his mind, which caused him to dote on those things.

But that's not all there is to him, that was just one instance where he needed help the most.

linegenrou

linegenrou
AC/CoT are both full of bullshit so I'm not even going to get into that.

But I'm guessing you've never been that depressed. When life fucks you over, you don't want to hear how good you have it, or how you're not alone. You don't care. Especially when you get a death sentence from an incurable disease. Cloud is a fucked up person, beyond fucked up. His childhood was crap, his teenage years were completely robbed from him, he was experimented on, and his mental health was destroyed. The backlash from that is more than anyone can handle, and it's a lot more complicated that "manning up". A slap in the face only makes people in situations like that feel even worse, and it's a pretty immature way of dealing with the situation.

You can argue that Cloud in FF7 could have handled all that, but given the context it works in AC.
No, it's his primary emotion and the driving force behind his character. CC is anime inspired tripe full of all the typical tropes and horribly written dialogue full of crap pulled out of thin air with a laughable connection to FF7. Also, lol bittersweet. Zack's story is very similar to the crap you see in shonen anime, with a FF touch. It ruined the real tragic way Zack died in FF7, and the harshness of the whole thing, by pretting it with his talk with Cloud before dying, him rising up out of his body with the shitty J-Pop playing in the background. Jesus Christ.

Yes,even more so,because Zack actually get shot in the freaking head by shinra soldiers in the extra scene we're shown.And they made that part with no music whatsoever...it gives even more of a dramatic,sad feel to it,I guess it was their intention.They didn't have cheesy goodbye dialogue and j-pop song going on in the background.Thank god they couldn't do that at that time. :awesome:
Oh,FFVII :(

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I also would like to add, Yazoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

why the fuck does this ass clown still have fans?

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
Cloud. I'm sorry but I never liked him. I don't know if its the fact that these types of character are extremely boring for my taste or if his English Voice sucked too much for me not to enjoy the character. His japanese voice made him more likeable for me....but his english one? *Barf*

e.suna

little nerdling
Of course I would say one of the SHM. I would spare Kadaj because he served a bigger purpose for the plot. For some reason I have a soft spot for Loz, maybe because he's a man who actually looks like a man. And he's funny in that really dumb, childish way.

Yazoo is the one I really hate. At least Loz had an awesome fight scene with Tifa that progressed the plot. Yazoo does nothing, his name is painfully stupid, and when AC was first out fangirls came up with the revolting idea of slashing him with Reno... just because of that fight scene. It made me die inside.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
The Remnants. All three of them. Boring borefests of boredom.

The Turks. Annoying and nothing else.

And my standard: Aerith.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yazoo is the one I really hate. At least Loz had an awesome fight scene with Tifa that progressed the plot. Yazoo does nothing, his name is painfully stupid, and when AC was first out fangirls came up with the revolting idea of slashing him with Reno... just because of that fight scene. It made me die inside.

I don't care about Yazoo. But generally speaking, fangirls ruin everything and I don't think its fair to pin what they do on any given character.

Fangu

Great Old One
Elena. Poorly done CGI, her frame is too small of what she was in FFVII (girl is supposed to be kicking butt!), she's OOC IMO, and has the most annoying voice. Every time she leans out of that helicopter and yells "GGUUUYYYSS!!"... *rolls eyes*

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah, in retrospect it was like they we're trying to turn Elena into a blonde version of Yuffie. She should have looked a little older, and there was no need to make her quite so petite, she was always going to look small next to the other Turks.

Anyway....I think I found everyone annoying to some degree. The worst part for me is right at the end when Denzel gets cured and everyone jumps about like fucking idiots punching the air. Like frigging Care Bears or something. Just plain embarrassing. I think I'm most dissapointed in Cid in that scene, because even though he was always a loud character, I just cant see him behaving like that.

Obviously the Remenants were annoying. Why the fuck did they even have names at all? It would have been slightly less shit if they didn't call each other names, just brother or something. Why is Loz a crying idiot? Arent these people meant to be part of Sephiroth? When did he cry like a tit?

Denzel and Marlene, yeah. Pretty irritating. Marlene was less annoying in the OG.

Apart from a few scenes Rufus and the Turks annoyed me (yeah I know!) I'm not going to watch the fucking film again, but can someone remind me exactly why/how Rufus ended up being on that building just to jump off it? (I mean, other than it being a tacked on setpiece)

God. I'm aware that this looks like I am a moaning bastard who hated the film. Thats because I am but you've got to believe me that I am trying to think of a character that didn't piss me off in some way and I'm getting nothing. :(

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Denzel and Marlene. But my least favorite would have to be Reno, only because I loved him in FF7 and ACC turned him into a pretty boy moron. I still don't get why they made Reno so pretty. He wasn't exactly easy on the eyes in FF7.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Denzel and Marlene. But my least favorite would have to be Reno, only because I loved him in FF7 and ACC turned him into a pretty boy moron. I still don't get why they made Reno so pretty. He wasn't exactly easy on the eyes in FF7.

In FF7 Reno looked like he'd just climbed out of the Worst Toilet in Scotland™ :lol:

It's like they thought men can either be bishie or manly man men (Barret and Cid) and nothing in between.

Before AC I always expected Reno to be more like Kaji from Neon Genesis, as in you could tell he was a man. I also expected him to be a bit stubbly. As it was, AC Reno looked even less manlike than Tseng, who was surprisingly manlike...just not quite as manlike as he should have been.

*note to self: stop saying 'manlike'

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Apart from a few scenes Rufus and the Turks annoyed me (yeah I know!) I'm not going to watch the fucking film again, but can someone remind me exactly why/how Rufus ended up being on that building just to jump off it? (I mean, other than it being a tacked on setpiece)

Kadaj was planning to summon Bahamut and I guess he wanted a vantage point somewhere that he could see what he was doing. And he had kidnapped Rufus so he took him up there with him.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Kadaj was planning to summon Bahamut and I guess he wanted a vantage point somewhere that he could see what he was doing. And he had kidnapped Rufus so he took him up there with him.

Yeah, because Summons totally need supervision. :monster:

Seriously, what is the deal with summons? Do you just summon them and they smite thine enemies how they see fit, or do you actually have a degree of control of their actions?

Or is this never really explained?

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
What was Rufus's plan, anyway? Did he even HAVE one?

Why didn't he destroy the Jenova cells as soon as he got 'em?

Didn't Kadaj think to search Rufus when he took him hostage?

Why'd the orphans gather around the stupid monument instead of heading for Rufus?

Why do I care?

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Why does Noctis have fanclubs '

Because I'm fucking awesome:monster:

Anyway. Least favourite in AC/C is still the SHM. Kadaj at least does something in the movie, but Loz and Yazoo were the very pinnacle of unnecessary villian. Kadaj could eaisly have filled the villian role without them. Hell, maybe if he'd been a solo villian he could have had more actual developement and been a decent bad guy. But alas, it is not so.

Top Bottom