SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I’ll be interested if they keep up this minor element of Cloud choosing things that effect certain scenes, as by part 3 in the original there’s only really one more scene whose outcome is determined by the affinity mechanics (specifically Tifa’s under the Highwind scene)
I think in the OG, your ability to choose for him is gone once his true self emerges anyway. So, maybe there will be less player choice in part 3, or we'll get player choice for Tifa instead when she becomes party leader.

It would be interesting if part 3 is kinda structured like a duo-protagonist game where we play as Tifa and Aerith primarily while Cloud is down for the count. I can't imagine Aerith isn't going to be playable because she never gets the Great Gospel limit or her strongest weapon (Princess Guard) which was bothering the hell out of me. Although when you're fighting Sephiroth as Zack, I'm pretty sure Aerith's spirit does the Great Gospel limit break... Cause his HP and MP are fully restored, not just half restored like Healing Wind.

.... Yeah idk what they're doing lmao.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
While I hate having to wait for the Ultimania’s to clear things up (more due to questionable translation choices as opposed to poor writing that fails to get meaning across) I will be glad once one thing in particular is established.

That of whether all the Gold Saucer dates canonically took place, much how all the resolutions from Remake did.

My hunch is that they will be, and hopefully that’ll end any further discourse about things being “optional” or not.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I chose the "smile" option and immediately regretted it OMG :wacky:

Edit: if you haven't seen it, please do yourselves a favour and watch it :awesome:
Oh nooooo ...... Why is he soooo embarrassing?! I'm gonna watch rn. Thanks for posting the vid @null

EDIT: WHY IS HE MAKING THAT FACE?????? LMAOOOO omg i hate him

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
While I hate having to wait for the Ultimania’s to clear things up (more due to questionable translation choices as opposed to poor writing that fails to get meaning across) I will be glad once one thing in particular is established.

That of whether all the Gold Saucer dates canonically took place, much how all the resolutions from Remake did.

My hunch is that they will be, and hopefully that’ll end any further discourse about things being “optional” or not.
Except the next cope will that the Ultimania doesn’t count.

“The LTD will never die!” - a One Piece quote.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Just got Clouds flashbacks in Nibelheim inn and.....Cloud....shouldn't you immediately go tell Aerith about you suddenly
remembering that you know Zack and he was here?. Also, 2 more hard hits to Clerith. Aerith and Clouds second talk on the water tower clearly sets up that what she is looking for from Cloud is not romance, but a true friend. And Cloud, very matter of factly, remember that Zack is head over heels for Aerith is also a weird thing to add into the game if you want to make an Aerith/Cloud romance a thing.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
It would be interesting if part 3 is kinda structured like a duo-protagonist game where we play as Tifa and Aerith primarily while Cloud is down for the count.
Just for the lulz, I told my sister this and she said that would be the time when Cloud encourages Tifa and Aerith to hold hands and just kiss already because his true love are Sephiroth and Zack (more Zack, but still). :mon:

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Just for the lulz, I told my sister this and she said that would be the time when Cloud encourages Tifa and Aerith to hold hands and just kiss already because his true love are Sephiroth and Zack (more Zack, but still). :mon:
Okay Sephiroth DO be in love with this man and SE loves playing it up. Why did he call him "good boy" in that ramen commercial? fgkjgfkjg how am I supposed to take him seriously? And why did they make him a furry for it too? They rly know their niche audience lmao

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Okay Sephiroth DO be in love with this man and SE loves playing it up. Why did he call him "good boy" in that ramen commercial? fgkjgfkjg how am I supposed to take him seriously? And why did they make him a furry for it too? They rly know their niche audience lmao
This is real?! Holy hell, I thought that someone just used a photoshopped pic for that video's thumbnail when I saw it on my recommended. I need to see this xD

Eerie

Fire and Blood
From what Toriyama said, they're all fanservice with no impact on the main story. However, they made them extra easy to watch them all and the HA versions get you ticked boxes, though they don't seem needed for the platinum.

Personally I'm taking this as "they're not canon, but they help you understand Cloud's relationships with everyone" (the latter part I think coming from I don't remember which dev I think). So they're not "optional" they're all "bonus" scenes to make you understand Cloud better. It's best if you can watch them all. Even in the play there are variations depending on who plays Rosa, albeit light ones.

Also they all gain one outfit from the play, but for Tifa you have to get her date for her to have the Rosa dress. Looking at that dress, it's clearly been done for her too lol, usually those kind of dresses aren't really for busty women (I know I'm one lol) but seeing it it's been made to support her chest, definitely.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
Alright so after talking in Nibelheim Aerith’s smilie went from yellow to green while Tifa's remained at yellow (I let the game auto pick answers for me and it picked the second best answers for both here), so I guess I'm doing c12 with Aerith?

If anyone's curious on my run (mandatory story only, no side quests done yet) -

*Game picked second best answer for Aerith in Kalm
*Game picked second best answer for Tifa in Under Junon
*I did well enough to raise affection in the parade for both, and got a President's commendation which impressed Tifa and deepened the relationship with her.
*In Costa Del Sol I did chocobo outfit for Cloud and got matching outfits for both girls raising affection for both
*I chose to fight with Tifa and Red
*Got Tifa in Chapter 8
*Game picked best answer for Aerith in Gongaga
*Game picked best answer for everyone in Cosmo Canyon
*Game picked second best answers in Nibelheim
*All synergy skills/abilities used with both

I think I remembered everything. I was a bit biased including talking to Tifa in Cosmo Canyon and both girls in Nibelheim (you can ignore one) but I wanted to be fair as I could possibly be and keep them both on a more or less even keel for as long as possible and this is where my personal journey took me. Just how it worked out on my run though.
You missed one for Tifa in Gongaga. But that is an interesting and surprising way of playing games. Not sure what is the intention here. Most people won’t let the system to chose the answer for them if they are giving options. Is that your journey if you let the system choose?

NPTK is a good song and I like it. I have it in Spotify and I think because there are no comments there trying to tell me this a love song from whom to whom, it is more enjoyable. Just saying.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
the entire quest Aerith is soo trying to make it romantic and Cloud pushes against it but also sort of goes with it.
I think it's her personality. This happens too with Zack based on this dialogue:
"To pay your "hellooo~" I'd buy you something."
"Your offer was one date, no?"
"But you said 'dont be silly' remember?"
"Well, I..." (feel awkward)

So, the time Aerith said "yes" when Zack tease "you just wanna spend more time with me" is viewed as a date by her. But not by Zack. This is similar to Cloud & Aerith when they walk out of the church to her home. Since Zack didn't consider it as a date yet, she then initiate:
"Wanna go to the park?"
"Sounds like a date!"

There's also a scene in DMW like this:
"If I can do it for you, then you owe me a date."
"If you can't do, then you have to grant my tiny wish."

I think a guy like Zack would think of what romantic date is like, and probably prepare it; something like going to restaurant, going shopping, going to the park. But for Aerith, just spending more time with him, is already a "date" since she has romantic feelings. And it seems that's what Aerith also expect from Cloud.

speaking of his childhood, i keep seeing CAs claiming the entire village ostracized cloud (including'tifa'), but we know cloud was the one pushing everyone away because he was insecure. or how cloud never received affection until aerith came into the picture? even tho he had his mom???
I keep seeing a weird fanart of 7 yo Aerith befriending 14 yo Cloud due to them viewing it like that. This is funny because Aerith dunno that Cloud is lonely or not, she only heard about Cloud from Tifa's POV in Traces of Two Pasts. Meanwhile, Aerith JP VA say that Aerith resonates her loneliness with Zack. This is during Crisis Core because both of them have similar personality that behind their bright attitude, lies loneliness they carry. Zack was lonely at that time, his heart is not in ShinRa anymore, even Kunsel notices this (based on his email).

There’s also the beginning bit where one of the swimsuit girls says Aerith looks like a girl who goes after what she wants
Aerith really goes for what she wants
I hope those who say that doesnt say that Aerith is shy in CC because she literally goes for what she wants, not just look like:
1. Calling Zack, "when will you make it for me?" (poor Zack, once he arrives at the church, Tseng pick him up to Modeoheim)
2. Asking Zack to jump in the sand, and when he failed once and asked to try once more, she got angry lol
3. Again, asking him for flower wagon

But yeah, with Cloud, she doesnt get what she wants. The dream date is like the culmination of all of those to make her realize.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
NPTK is a good song and I like it. I have it in Spotify and I think because there are no comments there trying to tell me this a love song from whom to whom, it is more enjoyable. Just saying.
NPTK reminds me a lot of Kiss me goodbye from FF12 but I like KMG more, personally. THAT song should've been the standard for love songs imo but maybe I just think that because I love Angela Aki's voice a bit more than Loren Allred's.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I don't like NTPK because I don't like this type of song (I'm more into rock and metal myself lol). Céline Dion is basically my Nemesis, so I'm like "eh don't mind me, enjoy your song" lol (and tbh I never even heard of that singer's name before, don't judge me lol). Personally I would say the lyrics fit CA, ZA and the players.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I think it's her personality. This happens too with Zack based on this dialogue:
"To pay your "hellooo~" I'd buy you something."
"Your offer was one date, no?"
"But you said 'dont be silly' remember?"
"Well, I..." (feel awkward)

So, the time Aerith said "yes" when Zack tease "you just wanna spend more time with me" is viewed as a date by her. But not by Zack. This is similar to Cloud & Aerith when they walk out of the church to her home. Since Zack didn't consider it as a date yet, she then initiate:
"Wanna go to the park?"
"Sounds like a date!"

There's also a scene in DMW like this:
"If I can do it for you, then you owe me a date."
"If you can't do, then you have to grant my tiny wish."

I think a guy like Zack would think of what romantic date is like, and probably prepare it; something like going to restaurant, going shopping, going to the park. But for Aerith, just spending more time with him, is already a "date" since she has romantic feelings. And it seems that's what Aerith also expect from Cloud.

I keep seeing a weird fanart of 7 yo Aerith befriending 14 yo Cloud due to them viewing it like that. This is funny because Aerith dunno that Cloud is lonely or not, she only heard about Cloud from Tifa's POV in Traces of Two Pasts. Meanwhile, Aerith JP VA say that Aerith resonates her loneliness with Zack. This is during Crisis Core because both of them have similar personality that behind their bright attitude, lies loneliness they carry. Zack was lonely at that time, his heart is not in ShinRa anymore, even Kunsel notices this (based on his email).

I hope those who say that doesnt say that Aerith is shy in CC because she literally goes for what she wants, not just look like:
1. Calling Zack, "when will you make it for me?" (poor Zack, once he arrives at the church, Tseng pick him up to Modeoheim)
2. Asking Zack to jump in the sand, and when he failed once and asked to try once more, she got angry lol
3. Again, asking him for flower wagon

But yeah, with Cloud, she doesnt get what she wants. The dream date is like the culmination of all of those to make her realize.
Aerith seems to regard any time spent between two people "a date". I think she calls hanging out with Tifa in the remake (going clothes shopping) a date. And in rebirth in costa del sol I think she also spends time with Tifa and also calls it a date.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Cloud and Aerith overall always gave me, personally, very strong Aragorn and Éowyn vibes (I’m first and foremost a Tolkien’s Legendarium scholar/nerd :geek: )

“I have wished you joy since first I saw you.”

I mean I always kind of got this feeling, but Rebirth, and how Cloud acts in the Gold Saucer date and the end kind of dialled this up for me.

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
From what Toriyama said, they're all fanservice with no impact on the main story. However, they made them extra easy to watch them all and the HA versions get you ticked boxes, though they don't seem needed for the platinum.

Personally I'm taking this as "they're not canon, but they help you understand Cloud's relationships with everyone" (the latter part I think coming from I don't remember which dev I think). So they're not "optional" they're all "bonus" scenes to make you understand Cloud better. It's best if you can watch them all. Even in the play there are variations depending on who plays Rosa, albeit light ones.

Also they all gain one outfit from the play, but for Tifa you have to get her date for her to have the Rosa dress. Looking at that dress, it's clearly been done for her too lol, usually those kind of dresses aren't really for busty women (I know I'm one lol) but seeing it it's been made to support her chest, definitely.
I believe in Rebirth, watching most (if not all) of the dates is required for the platinum trophy, since there are different collectibles you get for Johnny’s Seaside Inn depending on which version of the Loveless play you get.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Cloud and Aerith overall always gave me, personally, very strong Aragorn and Éowyn vibes (I’m first and foremost a Tolkien’s Legendarium scholar/nerd :geek: )

I mean I always kind of got this feeling, but Rebirth, and how Cloud acts in the Gold Saucer date and the end kind of dialled this up for me.
“I cannot give you what you seek.”

Wait… does this mean Zack is Faramir? LOL

Speaking of, Cloud’s mannerisms during The Temple of the Ancients, gives me strong Gollum/Frodo vibes with how he’s acting in regards to Sephiroth and the black materia.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie

SAME AND SAME!
I'm always reminded of the love triangle in lord of the rings when thinking about this one. Mainly in that while it is called a love triangle there really isn't any doubt and there is a clear resolution. And in that what Cloud and Aerith see in each other isn't love, similar to Eowyn.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
I believe in Rebirth, watching most (if not all) of the dates is required for the platinum trophy, since there are different collectibles you get for Johnny’s Seaside Inn depending on which version of the Loveless play you get.
You don’t need to see Aerith date I believe. I only have Tifa as my date, and I got both Best Actress collectibles for Tifa and Aerith. So…..technically the only date you don’t need to see to get platinum is Aerith’s date

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
“I cannot give you what you seek.”

Wait… does this mean Zack is Faramir? LOL

Speaking of, Cloud’s mannerisms during The Temple of the Ancients, gives me strong Gollum/Frodo vibes with how he’s acting in regards to Sephiroth and the black materia.

I totally see the Zack and Faramir parallels. They’re both good boys who resist the temptations of abuse of power (book Faramir anyway)

And haha again now you mention it I am very much seeing the parallels too regarding Cloud’s behaviour concerning the black materia

It would be very on the nose if at the end when he’s caressing it like the One Ring for him to call it his precious :awesome:

Like it or not, if it’s got fantasy in it, then the roots nearly always trace back to Professor T

Axiom

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Axiom
Yea, that’s why I feel like people who use the “it’s optional“ argument for the GS Dates aren’t really seeing the bigger picture.

Even if some players didn’t get Tifa’s date, the writers for Part 3 need to assume that some players did, so they need to be careful not to contradict anything that occurred during that scene.
"It's optional" is an inherently weak argument. Especially when it comes to video games. Nobody in their right minds would arguing the default ending of Elden Ring where you ignore all side quests is the only valid way to experience the game. No, the devs expect you to play through everything their game has to offer to see the full picture. When you do this for the gold saucer dates, it's obvious that Cloud likes Tifa the most.

The lifestream event and under the highwind scene from the original game arent optional. Given that we already have them kissing in the gold saucer date, I wouldnt be surprised if there's another kiss when Tifa fixes his mind in the lifestream. Under the highwind had 2 different dialogue, both ending with Cloud and Tifa spending the night together. This will have to be more romantic than the gold saucer date no matter how they adapt it.

I mean it doesn't matter, Tifa got ahead of herself there; she thought he would confess but he didn't, so she thought her feelings were only one way (even though they weren't). Here, she thinks something might happen in the romantic context, but she feels unsure suddenly, because he talked about Aerith before and didn't talk much, maybe he didn't see that as romantic, maybe he wasn't interested in her romantically? Did she once again get ahead of herself? Which is why he basically confessed and went in for the handhold (trap), hug and kiss.

It wasn't Gongaga I think because both were leaning for that kiss. But someone who hasn't read ToTP might think about Gongaga, that's true.

Right, so Tifa was expecting a confession at the water tower right?

I still think it makes more sense for it to be about Gongaga. Because again, Cloud made his move after clarifying that Tifa thinks she's getting ahead of herself "again". I dont think Cloud realized that Tifa had feelings for him at the water tower. I think her coming unto him in Cissnei's room is the much more recent memory. When it clicked that she liked him, that's when he had the guts to go for the kiss.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
I totally see the Zack and Faramir parallels. They’re both good boys who resist the temptations of abuse of power (book Faramir anyway)

And haha again now you mention it I am very much seeing the parallels too regarding Cloud’s behaviour concerning the black materia

It would be very on the nose if at the end when he’s caressing it like the One Ring for him to call it his precious :awesome:

Like it or not, if it’s got fantasy in it, then the roots nearly always trace back to Professor T
I can see those parallels as well. I also had a thing for Faramir at some point lol

Top Bottom