SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Funny of you to say that. I happened to browse twitter couse i do have an account there and i saw some Cleriths clip a streamer seemingly skipping Aeriths Costa scene in the beach, couse said streamer wanted to keep Tifa above Aerith with the smiley. The Cleriths then went on about "it's such a shame people choose to skip scenes like this just for the sake of their ships", but as it turns out i had seen this streamer play this section and they did in fact talk to Aerith and had her scene just before where the clip starts.

So the Cleriths painted this person in a bad light with a conveniently clipped portion from the stream that makes it seem like they just skip Aerith parts in general in favor of Tifa. Like i'm sure people do skip parts just to make sure they get a specific date, in fact one of the Cleriths outright said they skipped Tifa parts in the replies, so what the fuck is this stupid double standard going on here? Trying to make it seem like people can't have preferences and trying to make it a shame thing if people choose to not see all Aerith scenes in the first place, but it's totally fine then to skip Tifa scenes anyway? Man i really hate these kinda people.
i saw that and i hadnt seen the streamer play it but i could tell they had done the conversation considering they were talking about it and also walked up to Tifa XD

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
This is probably my biggest gripe I’ve sad a couple of times. I don’t like how the ambiguity makes this underlying “conflict” with Tifa and Aerith. Not them directly, but every time I think they are close friends, I’m like oh yeah they seem to like the same dude.
Honestly for Rebirth i don't think Aerith does but dream date seems to sort off its so weird when thats a different Aerith

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I mean we (the player) are not Cloud, and that's not how Cloud reacts in the Shinra jail cell, he doesn't react like super negatively there at all, if I recall correctly isn't that the screen shot that one of the Ultimanias says where Cloud and Aerith are building their "two person" world or something like that. He never rejecting the first date, nor the offer of another. OG at least Cloud doesn't seem adverse to the concept of dating Aerith.

Sure, EC confirms he did indeed accept the initial offer of one date.

Rebirth I'll conceed might give that impression with Costa Del Sol date for EN version partially and I don't blame players, because I'm not good at it, dating is a different impression.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Honestly for Rebirth i don't think Aerith does but dream date seems to sort off its so weird when thats a different Aerith

More than Aerith, it's Cloud that is super weird during this date. I'm sorry but I did all the content, so I went there with the two girls "POV" and Cloud has never been this close to Aerith during all of Rebirth.

Like I already said here, he's pretty cold and even mean during certain quests. The only truly wholesome one is the photo trip at Cosmo Canyon. Personally I felt really strange looking at him all excited during the couple photo thing in the dream date.

I'm not against it, but it really felt weird and kinda out of place.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I demand the episode bumpers be a pic of Cid angry shouting with a cup of tea in hand to fully sell the reference. Better yet, pouring said cup calmly before commercial break, the above after.
In the start bumper, he calmly pours tea. In the later bumber he grumpily slams the cup down in front of the viewer and sits down with his own.

Nanaki definitely needs to be here for this. I'm iffier on Shelke, even though there is legit a lot to do with her as a character. "Shelke's Settling Psyche" maybe, with a focus on her life normalizing post DG?
Maybe she's the framing device and the stories are all recollections by everyone else of how they started settling down into a normal life.

Homeboy is also a painfully clumsy fool who seems fated to fall into situations that make him seem perverted... which he is, but he never does it on purpose. And the boarding house has its own hot spring baths.
In short, wacky hijinx ensue.

Or another found family member doing so. Barret is ripped with a sensitive face and dad energy. Even the robot/gun arm isn't gonna scare all the ladies off if he gets back in the game. And Marlene seems the type to be overjoyed with a new sibling. My vote to the writing staff: let's get Barret laid :monster:
But how will he find someone woman enough for him?

Someone missed the Aerith water tower talk and all the comments on the video are accusing her of hating Aerith. These people are actually freaks let a person play how they want. When you start seeing the same names on every FF7 video saying the same stuff its scary how obsessed these people are.

recently they have been calling out streamers and youtubers on twitter then flooding their comments
Ironically what they've been accusing the C/T side of doing.

Reminds me of the japanese artist dude Square Enix and Sony are paying for the Rebirth commercials that's like "Well I go for Tifa because I know the story and what's gonna happen next"

And to be honest that's the whole point of it. I don't give a damn about ship. I love Tifa without Cloud around. I'm not fighting for it. What I'm fighting for is respecting the story.

Edit : The dude I was talking about

Man, that's blatant of them. I'm still of the mind that advertising is not evidence, but that's an official promo and the man is saying "yeah, Cloud and Tifa is what happens anyways so..." and that means it got past the marketing department and their carefully curated notes.

Kinda sad since the water tower scene is so explicitly Cloti that it shocked even me lol.
It's Cloti and Aerti.

Funny of you to say that. I happened to browse twitter couse i do have an account there and i saw some Cleriths clip a streamer seemingly skipping Aeriths Costa scene in the beach, couse said streamer wanted to keep Tifa above Aerith with the smiley. The Cleriths then went on about "it's such a shame people choose to skip scenes like this just for the sake of their ships", but as it turns out i had seen this streamer play this section and they did in fact talk to Aerith and had her scene just before where the clip starts.

So the Cleriths painted this person in a bad light with a conveniently clipped portion from the stream that makes it seem like they just skip Aerith parts in general in favor of Tifa. Like i'm sure people do skip parts just to make sure they get a specific date, in fact one of the Cleriths outright said they skipped Tifa parts in the replies, so what the fuck is this stupid double standard going on here? Trying to make it seem like people can't have preferences and trying to make it a shame thing if people choose to not see all Aerith scenes in the first place, but it's totally fine then to skip Tifa scenes anyway? Man i really hate these kinda people.
I wish I could say this was new behavior, but it's really not. A common source of frustration regarding oldschool Cleriths was double standards and complete inconsistencies. Sometimes it was so bad that one person was arguing contradictory points because she thought both of them favored Aerith.

"YoU ArE NoT pLaYiNg aS InTeNdEd, Aerith ScEnEs ArE CaNoNs"
I mean, it's all canon or none of it is. That's the beauty of how Rebirth structured itself. It wants you to see all the dates and how Cloud reacts to everything. It wants you to see both of the fights against Hojo's machine, etc.

I mean we (the player) are not Cloud, and that's not how Cloud reacts in the Shinra jail cell, he doesn't react like super negatively there at all, if I recall correctly isn't that the screen shot that one of the Ultimanias says where Cloud and Aerith are building their "two person" world or something like that. He never rejecting the first date, nor the offer of another. OG at least Cloud doesn't seem adverse to the concept of dating Aerith.

Rebirth I'll conceed might give that impression with Costa Del Sol date for EN version partially and I don't blame players, because I'm not good at it, dating is a different impression.
Keep in mind that the OG Cloud is the Cloud who is oblivious to the affections of both women. He doesn't object to it, but I don't think he really cares? And OG Aerith seems to count 'dates' the same way as Retrilogy Aerith does.

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Even with the OG, when she asks us who Tifa is and we tell her she's our girlfriend, she takes advantage of the break when we're in shinra prison to talk about the date she owes us in front of Tifa. Personally, at this point I was like "But WTF ? You're the one imposing it on me ! What is this super dishonest move" lmao
Well, honestly, OG is a bit of a different beast in this regard, I do actually think Tifa and Aerith can come off as quite unfriendly towards each other in OG.

This is probably my biggest gripe I’ve sad a couple of times. I don’t like how the ambiguity makes this underlying “conflict” with Tifa and Aerith. Not them directly, but every time I think they are close friends, I’m like oh yeah they seem to like the same dude.
Yeah, I feel like "there is a ceiling on how good of friends two women who are pursuing the same guy can be" is a totally reasonable stance to have.

To be clear, I think OG is really quite different--there it's just two women who both are interested in one guy, there's nothing wrong with being forward. It's just that in Rebirth, I think Aerith is notably aware of Cloud and Tifa's mutual affection post Chapter 9, so I understand why the whole dream date sequence gives people weird vibes in regards to Aerith and Tifa being good friends.

I think anything pre-Chapter 9 is whatever, Cloud is notably more...opposed, I guess, in the English version of the Costa del Sol Aerith quest for sure. I don't have any issue with Aerith's overall forwardness up until the dream date, honestly, which is where it gets a little weird for me--but sometimes a girl's gotta have closure, you know?

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
That's such a weird argument because if you don't have the time... why play at all?
Most people who use that argument won't even buy and play the game lmao
No i do get it. People don't necessarily have the time, will or desire to replay games, especially games this long. Like i was very big on replaying games multiple times when i was younger, but these days i mostly run a single playthrough for most things. I basically only replay and do everything in games that i absolutely love and want to 100% complete like these ones.

But like i said, if people have a desire to still see every possible dialogue option and whatnot the game has to offer then youtube is a handy tool for that for people who don't wanna put in the extra time for it themselves, so the argument falls flat anyway.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
What about when Cloud talks to the plants?, feels wholesome to me. Also a follow up for the "Language of Flowers" scene.

I'm talking about Rebirth and its intended affection system.

And again, I'm not saying he doesn't give a damn about Aerith. Never said that and never will.

What I'm saying is Rebirth is giving a pretty clear view of what Aerith and Cloud relationship is, and that the dream date doesn't really respect what we saw.

ChaosandConfusion

Pro Adventurer
Ok, so I just beat OG and now I'm a bit confused about the relationships and the characters themselves. I don't want to derail the thread with questions, so if anyone is willing to indulge my curiosity outside of this thread me know.

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Ok, so I just beat OG and now I'm a bit confused about the relationships and the characters themselves. I don't want to derail the thread with questions, so if anyone is willing to indulge my curiosity outside of this thread me know.
There is a OG only thread in this subforum, but you can probably fire off questions here if you want? IDK, Rebirth kind of quelled a lot of actual "debate" here lol.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

If it's about the two girls it's pretty simple :

• Tifa is your childhood friend you meet after some years in the army.
  • Aerith is "just a city girl" you meet after one of your failed mission
  • The two girls are interested in Cloud
  • Cloud can be interested in the one you like the most as a player
  • Aerith dies whatever was your choice
  • The game has a big plotwist and you learn that the Cloud you're playing from the start is a fake Persona with wrong memories
  • Real Cloud is a shy country boy who went on a journey to impress and become someone important to Tifa
  • They confess their feelings to each other before the world ends
  • They kill Sephiroth but the meteor can't be stopped, they think they're going to die but are not afraid because now they know an afterlife exist
  • Aerith saves the day. We can suppose she's part of the planet now.

Last edited:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The thing about the OG is that it not as explicit about certain things and so there’s quite a bit more leeway for interpretations.

That being said, my read on the relationships is that Cloud loved Tifa, forgot about it after Hojo’s experiment. Started getting close to Aerith and even developed attraction and romantic feelings, then she died… then Cloud remembers who he really was, including his love for Tifa. And then the scene under the Highwind is a subtle confirmation of those mutual feelings. But Cloud still holds Aerith dear and at the end, when they think they’re all about to die soon… he says they can see Aerith again so it’s not so bad if this is the end. But while he specifically refers to Aerith, he mostly means they will all reunite with loved ones who passed on. He’s saying this in order for comfort, as they might not survive the next few moments.

As for Zerith, most of that comes from Crisis Core and depending on your viewpoint either recontexualizes or elaborates on Aerith’s relationship with Zack.

I definitely think this is why Nojima wants to be more explicit with Remake trilogy. He doesn’t like some misconceptions that arose.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Besides the guy taking pictures everything was mostly the same.
I think the cameraman is the opposite of people in the slum market who think Zack & Aerith is a couple although they just met.

It is, as such, extremely inappropriate that Cleriths should gatekeep Aerith and who can be fans of Aerith. As a Zerith, there is not a single moment of her character that I can not enjoy and not a single moment that I can not appreciate. I don't need to ignore events that are uncomfortable, nor do I need to twist her character into being something it's not. Aerith is Aerith.
My fellas~ Yeah, I'm sick of #Zerith tag on twitter is full with discourse of ZAs are CTs in disguise again, or that none of us loves Aerith and just Zack fans. I'm tired to defend myself anymore, had done that since Remake is released,

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think the cameraman is the opposite of people in the slum market who think Zack & Aerith is a couple although they just met.

My fellas~ Yeah, I'm sick of #Zerith tag on twitter is full with discourse of ZAs are CTs in disguise again, or that none of us loves Aerith and just Zack fans. I'm tired to defend myself anymore, had done that since Remake is released,
To be honest, I think there are a ton of Zack fans that like him with Aerith. Doubt it has anything to do with preferring CT necessarily.

But let’s be real, there are people shipping Zack with Elmyra right now… for CA related reasons.

Gross, imagine shipping a guy with the mother of the woman he loves.

@ChaosandConfusion I recommend playing Crisis Core next. It can be the original PSP version or the new remaster.

Last edited:

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
The thing is if Aerith didn't pursue Cloud (to some extent) she wouldn't be well ... Aerith.

It's a hard line for them to walk, the devs, I think to balance OG Aerith, that had an impact on so many people, to the extent people cried, and that was already appreciated and loved from OG, and CC/Re-trilogy where Zack has a much larger presence.
They were/are in a weird place because they sort of...regressed? What Aerith was aware of (the knowledge of the future that she held in the White Materia) between Remake and Rebirth...so some people who didn't like her forwardness/flirtiness from the OG didn't like that she "reverts" to that in Rebirth, while I think people who were more of a fan of her OG personality were happier with her in Rebirth? Like, the Under Junon inn scene, the conversation she has with regifting the flower--that reads a lot more true to me to OG Aerith, but I think it threw off a lot of people who liked the changes to her in Remake.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
The last one is literally all I want lmao. I mean I feel like if this a remake, how can we leave out seeing Denzel in some way?
Right? Having Nanaki's 500 year later scene at the end of ff7, is already set up to have epilogues for everyone else post DoC. That would help give the compilation the closure it needs. I really can't see them making more games post DoC.
1. A proper Zack and Cloud reunion (it’s a friend…ship)
I forgot about that one. I definitely want to see that

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Yeah, I feel like "there is a ceiling on how good of friends two women who are pursuing the same guy can be" is a totally reasonable stance to have.
I can really only base my thought on it from one moment pretty early game. When they are escaping Kalm Tifa is obviously jealous or confused about Aerith saying she and Cloud went on a date.

It was a very fast moment but for me playing, it was when I was just beginning to get invested in them. The reaction from Cloud and Tifa pushed me to become aware of their feelings.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
But Cloud still holds Aerith dear and at the end, when they think they’re all about to die soon… he says they can see Aerith again so it’s not so bad if this is the end. But while he specifically refers to Aerith, he mostly means they will all reunite with loved ones who passed on. He’s saying this in order for comfort, as they might not survive the next few moments.

It is the moment Cloud understands Aerith is still around helping them. Her helping hand literally appears to him and then switching to Tifa's. Like her musical theme switching to Tifa's. She's the one reuniting them. That's the moment he understands this Promised Land thing. So yeah, he's telling Tifa to not be afraid, death will not be the end.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

I thought this was funny. The comments are even more hilarious. Sometimes I want to engage, but I would probably just be banned

Top Bottom