SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I’ve always had mixed emotions about AC, mainly because I feel like it’s an unsatisfying series of events because the crucial beginning is absent from the film and the resolution feels incomplete because we don’t see Cloud make things right with Tifa and the kids.

It’s fine that Cloud’s issues are resolved in the end, but when you’re in a relationship and have kids, then that resolution has to also involve them.

But it’s hard to do all that in between bombastic action sequences and the marketing mandate to feature enough ghost Aerith and ghost Zack to justify merch based on them.

AC should’ve been a book tbh and I’m hoping they remake it into game form because that gives them enough room to tell that story better. Premise isn’t bad, but the execution was very disappointing imo

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Pretty much my main issue with it. By the third goodbye I was thinking “omg die already so we can move on!” And I didn’t want to feel that way.
All of it definitely took away from the ending for me too. I wish they still kept it a lot more simplified instead. I wasn't really feeling a whole lot after the 4th time or such, not to mention the boss gauntlet happening between taking me away from the moment.

I did feel more on my hard playthrough, but it was still mostly over Tifas reaction to her death just like in normal, but the last shot of Aerith staying behind while the gang flew away with the Bronco did get to me this time.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
It's been raging for 27 years. This is why I hope Part 3 has a definitive conclusion. It's gone on long enough.

Also, damn... I was twelve in 2007. I'm getting old, man.
Haha sucker, i got one year on you :neo:. Nice to see all this age variety for people here in general.

LTD bringing people of all ages together to discuss this pointless thing till the end of times :awesome:.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Honestly I just cannot get over Cloud LEAVING. Leaving is insane. Tifa is 21, 22 in AC? Running the bar, taking orders/requests for the delivery service, Barret leaves Marlene with her, Cloud adopts Denzel and leaves him with her, and then he goes off to Aerith's church? And Denzel gets a terminal illness and Cloud does too but he hides it from her? And he doesn't answer her calls? Like....that would just be so soul crushing to me.
The order of events goes that Cloud and Tifa adopt Denzel and things are very good for awhile. Denzel's geostigma flares and Cloud starts throwing himself into finding a cure, but he's still part of the family. Very shortly before the film, he contracts the disease himself and basically thinks "Fuck, I would just be a burden, I am going to throw myself even more into finding a cure and I'll quarantine myself because somehow it's my fault Denzel and I are sick"
I don't think he's left the family for long when the movie starts. It's still fucked up he did it, and we really could have used a novella with his viewpoint leading up to the movie.

To be fair, we didn't experience Real Cloud for too long even in OG.

Not to mention it's basically a 15 years old in a young adult body. So it will take some time for him to settle things up.
He was 16 when he went in the tube, but yes.

I don't know. I just don't see Cloud being such an asshole to Tifa. I may be biased. But watching the movie for the first time legit made me hate Cloud. So yeah I found it artificial in the sense "hey we need to create some drama for our movie"

I'm not asking him to be lovey dovey while going through a depression. But leaving like that ? Without giving news ? For one month ?

To me it's the real starter of this whole Clerith narrative, and I'll just hate this movie for that.

Complete edition tried to fix some of the things but the damage had been done.
The clerith narrative was going on well before the movie was released, or announced. AC/C has problems but you can't blame Clerith on it.[/QUOTE]

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
The order of events goes that Cloud and Tifa adopt Denzel and things are very good for awhile. Denzel's geostigma flares and Cloud starts throwing himself into finding a cure, but he's still part of the family. Very shortly before the film, he contracts the disease himself and basically thinks "Fuck, I would just be a burden, I am going to throw myself even more into finding a cure and I'll quarantine myself because somehow it's my fault Denzel and I are sick"
I don't think he's left the family for long when the movie starts. It's still fucked up he did it, and we really could have used a novella with his viewpoint leading up to the movie.

He was 16 when he went in the tube, but yes.

The clerith narrative was going on well before the movie was released, or announced. AC/C has problems but you can't blame Clerith on it.

Not saying it was not a thing. But it gave them new "ammos" we didn't need.

This is AC that gave them this whole "Cloud lives a shitty life and just want to join Aerith" narrative a fresh view. With OG they only had the ending cinematic weird dialogue to push it. But now it was a whole reason to retroactively looking at OG and other stuff to emphasize this point.

So yeah. Not the Pandora Box but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have so much shit to debunk if this movie never existed.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Not saying it was not a thing. But it gave them new "ammos" we didn't need.

This is AC that gave them this whole "Cloud lives a shitty life and just want to join Aerith" narrative a fresh view. With OG they only had the ending cinematic weird dialogue to push it. But now it was a whole reason to retroactively looking at OG and other stuff to emphasize this point.

So yeah. Not the Pandora Box but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have so much shit to debunk if this movie never existed.
Before AC, there were Cleriths who thought Cloud offed himself as soon as the game was over to be with Aerith, or that everyone died. AC just gave us a different iteration of the crazy cope, just as KH2 did, as CC did, as Dissidia and 012 did, as Remake and Rebirth did. These are people who don't want the truth, they want the lie they promised themselves.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
If it was 2 and a half minutes longer*

They are not necessarily the most assiduous and find it hard to concentrate on a work in its entirety. So adding 2 minutes would have been pointless. They wouldn't have watched it anyway.

"It's just a bonus scene at the end, it's optional" 😏

I know it's sad, but the whole thing should simply have been removed. 😤

No, but more seriously. Even without the bad CAs, I don't like the way this movie portrays my beloved characters. Maybe it lacks a better introduction? idk. Cloud emo was a bad idea and killed the character. That's my opinion of course.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm post-date scene and I've decided I truly loathe every viable romance option as it's depicted with Cloud.

The affection mechanic takes up such a huge portion of the mechanical parts of the game, but the direction is so deeply uninteresting story-wise. Zack's presence in the narrative makes it obvious they're tying the romance shit into a neat little bow, ala Hinata-Naruto-Sakura-Sasuke. Snooze.

The Aerith romance path (which was my playthrough) have Cloud and Aerith kinda casually dating and acting fairly couple-y. The Tifa romance path is explicitly more romantic. In either case, the post-date game events (where I'm at now), the other girl feels super third wheel-y. It's weird because neither girl seems to care that much?

I'm also just having a real hard time buying what the game is trying to sell to me. Aerith knows about Tifa and Cloud's baggage, Cloud and Zack's connection, vague shit about the future (she seems to know about her death? Cloud and Tifa getting together maybe??), possibly knowledge about the AU??? Her intentions feel like they're all over the place and convoluted. The main plot feels likewise convoluted and unfocused. I really don't think she is coming across as intended with how the story has been changed/restructured. It seems like very little pay off for how much mess it makes.

Then there's Tifa, who makes out with Cloud on her date. This feels like the story is blowing its load way too soon. Not to mention there's the teeny tiny issue that is yet to be resolved. That being that uh... Cloud is prone to unpredictable bouts of possession he can't control, wherein he recently made an almost successful murder attempt on her that was only foiled by uhhhh... /checks notes/ a magic whale.

Throughout the entire thing, Aerith and Tifa are constantly making thirsty ass passes at Cloud in such a nonchalant manner, right in front of each other, despite being BFFs. Call me old-fashioned, but there is something that is so unemotional and lacking in humanity about this set up. But in an extremely tropey way I only see in really bad anime. It comes across as robotic. Like the characters (writers?) have never heard of girl code, and have no valuable insight into the complexities of female friendships in these situations. It makes me feel like I'm witnessing some trashy isekai waifu Sword Art Online tasteless garbage.

I truly hate it lmao.

In the OG, AerTi felt more of a pushback against a toxic fandom that would pit both the women against each other.

In Rebirth, AerTi is legitimately is the only thing that feels consistent with how the characters behave.

The only way all of this makes any lick of sense to me is if Aerith and Tifa are a super horny bisexual couple who are betting on who can fuck the sexy autistic man first.

Listen, I have always been partial to Cloud/Tifa as a personal preference as well as what makes sense in the story. Rebirth did such a shit job with the main romances that my mind has been unintentionally changed.

My delulu gay poly rewrite is far better than any bad-taste Hetero arguments anyone can have about wtf is going on, and Rebirth has made that stance truer than ever before.

Last edited:

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Even Clouds reaction to finding Aerith in the lab in remake was really weird just a you came yep then Tifa reacts the most to her being fine

Omg. Yes that too. He was just about ready to storm the building talking to Elmyra like we gotta save her!! Then he saves her with zero reaction.

I understand he is SOLDIER persona and all but I honestly just think the devs forget to have characters react to things..

Its what makes some scenes jarring and "out of character" because most of scenes with how the characters act in the game is not like that. It sometimes makes it even more confusing with how to read Cloud specifically because of his multiple personalities.
I took this shift in reactions as the devs wanting to focus and showcase the Tifa and Aerith bond more, so they lessened the focus on just revolving around Clouds reactions. He does put a heavy emphasis on wanting Aerith out of the Shinra building later when he asks Barret very sincerely for that favor.

That said it probably wasn't the best way to go about it by making Cloud have almost no reactions whatsoever for most of the Shinra building.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I'm post-date scene and I've decided I truly loathe every viable romance option as it's depicted with Cloud.

The affection system is bad and they shouldn't have kept it to please the fans.

It's obvious that all the members of the group share this system, so we can't really talk about "romance options"

But FF7 being FF7, it's also obvious that people are going to be interested in it via romance googles.

So I think it depends on people. As I've said here before, I personally never saw Aerith's path as romantic. I apologize for that.

I didn't suffer from that weird love triangle during my playthrough, so I enjoyed the interactions between Tifa and Aerith.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Before AC, there were Cleriths who thought Cloud offed himself as soon as the game was over to be with Aerith, or that everyone died. AC just gave us a different iteration of the crazy cope, just as KH2 did, as CC did, as Dissidia and 012 did, as Remake and Rebirth did. These are people who don't want the truth, they want the lie they promised themselves.
I recall that some people in the CA fandom were claiming that Aerith is the true love that belongs in Cloud's heart because in the KH ending credits sequence that was showing the Disney couples, Aerith and Cloud were included. I think there was an interview where Tetsuya Nomura made a comment about it and people used this as further evidence.

Can anyone confirm what exactly it was about and if there is any validity to it?

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I definitely think they probably should not have included the affinity system. I think it kinda also affected the way people went about quests as well.

I think they should have just focused on the story they wanted to do, even if we have little say in the matter. Trying to please both sides of the fandom and putting the affection system in simply because it existed in the OG was probably a bad idea.

Hope it’s gone in Part 3 to be honest.

Top Bottom