SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
And don't all actual player-choice games start at zero? Which makes me wonder why didn't FF7 characters start at zero? I guess Tifa having prior affection points for Cloud makes sense if the gameplay and story were interconnected but the affection points ended up being kind of arbitrary and meaningless anyway?
I don’t have any experience in dating sim games, but are you able to check affinity as you go along?

Using the affection points in FF7 as an argument fundamentally seems odd to me because it’s such a hidden stat, there’s no way it was designed with the intention of players being aware of it. Certainly more utility minded answers to why it’s set up hold more weight?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I don’t have any experience in dating sim games, but are you able to check affinity as you go along?

Using the affection points in FF7 as an argument fundamentally seems odd to me because it’s such a hidden stat, there’s no way it was designed with the intention of players being aware of it. Certainly more utility minded answers to why it’s set up hold more weight?
Yeah. Often the exact value is obscured, but you get a method to check your progress. In OG FF7 there's nothing. The actual numerical values of the affection mechanic are only known at all because because IIRC someone obsessively tracked the value changes on each answer using the PC version.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I guess I was thinking more of Dragon Age Origins which is the only game so far that I know of where the affection meter (or so to speak) is visible? I don't think it was visible in Mass Effect? And I'm not sure if Fire Emblem counts or how it counts the affection points since the -- oh dear, what to call it -- progression is only visible with CBAS support conversations? Then Hatoful Boyfriend was a sort of dating sim but I'm not sure how that worked. The Witcher, too, but I have no idea about that one. And I guess those are the only games with either affection mechanic or player choice that I remember off the top of my head?

Oh, wait. Getting vague memories of Breath of Fire 2 having visible affection points but that had nothing to do with player choices?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I guess I was thinking more of Dragon Age Origins which is the only game so far that I know of where the affection meter (or so to speak) is visible? I don't think it was visible in Mass Effect? And I'm not sure if Fire Emblem counts or how it counts the affection points since the -- oh dear, what to call it -- progression is only visible with CBAS support conversations? Then Hatoful Boyfriend was a sort of dating sim but I'm not sure how that worked. The Witcher, too, but I have no idea about that one. And I guess those are the only games with either affection mechanic or player choice that I remember off the top of my head?

Oh, wait. Getting vague memories of Breath of Fire 2 having visible affection points but that had nothing to do with player choices?
Witcher didn't have an AV system, just a couple of dip switch choices that determined Yen ending, Triss ending, girls pull one over on Geralt ending.
Fire Emblem's support systems were pretty trackable ever since FE4, at least you were given an indicator of when two units got the Koibito lock, and that was even before CBAS which came about in FE6. I think DA and ME had ways to check your affection. Dialogue options if not meters.
Also Witcher's an odd case because that's a case where there was a very canon romance in Ger/Yen in the books, but Triss got put forward in the games because CDPR were anxious about fucking up Yen, and yeah.
Also neither of them mind Geralt sleeping with other people, just each other.

And speaking of FE we do know a couple canonical pairings even in games where you can pick the unit's supports. Like Eliwood/ Ninian.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
girls pull one over on Geralt ending.
To be honest, this sounds like a happy ending, lmao.

Fire Emblem's support systems were pretty trackable ever since FE4, at least you were given an indicator of when two units got the Koibito lock, and that was even before CBAS which came about in FE6.
And speaking of FE we do know a couple canonical pairings even in games where you can pick the unit's supports. Like Eliwood/ Ninian.
I think my first Fire Emblem was the one with Eliwood, Ninian, Lyn and Hector. And I have no idea which is it on the space-time continuum, lol. (Why are Japanese game series so long? 😭)

And hey, I always felt that Eliwood/Ninian was canon even if their ending always made me feel so bad for Nils, lol. I also always picked Hector/Lyn since they felt natural to me.

Also Witcher's an odd case because that's a case where there was a very canon romance in Ger/Yen in the books, but Triss got put forward in the games because CDPR were anxious about fucking up Yen, and yeah.
Yeah, I actually ended up rather accidentally sleeping with Triss in the first game because I always pick the "nice" dialogue options and what do you know, the next thing Triss does is topple Geralt to a bed so I decided to just roll with it, lol. I have absolutely no knowledge of the books and I never made it past the second game so I can't say I cared either way. Though, I've seen people call Triss a rapist which was both enough of that fandom discourse for me and very funny when you consider that you can play Geralt like a serial killer in the first game.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
To be honest, this sounds like a happy ending, lmao.
Geralt ends up tied to a bed and abandoned until Dandelion/ Jaskier comes and unties him.

I think my first Fire Emblem was the one with Eliwood, Ninian, Lyn and Hector. And I have no idea which is it on the space-time continuum, lol. (Why are Japanese game series so long? 😭)

And hey, I always felt that Eliwood/Ninian was canon even if their ending always made me feel so bad for Nils, lol. I also always picked Hector/Lyn since they felt natural to me.
That's Blazing Blade, Number 7 in the series, prequel to Binding Blade, 6th in the series.
Also Hector Lyn hasn't been quite so officially confirmed, but it does get special treatment same as Eli/Nini does.

Yeah, I actually ended up rather accidentally sleeping with Triss in the first game because I always pick the "nice" dialogue options and what do you know, the next thing Triss does is topple Geralt to a bed so I decided to just roll with it, lol. I have absolutely no knowledge of the books and I never made it past the second game so I can't say I cared either way. Though, I've seen people call Triss a rapist which was both enough of that fandom discourse for me and very funny when you consider that you can play Geralt like a serial killer in the first game.
Triss was definitely taking advantage of Geralt's memories being missing but it's not like Geralt and Yen are the most virtuous souls in existence either.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Yeah. Often the exact value is obscured, but you get a method to check your progress. In OG FF7 there's nothing. The actual numerical values of the affection mechanic are only known at all because because IIRC someone obsessively tracked the value changes on each answer using the PC version.
The discussion I had the person said the game favours Aerith if you play normally? Which makes no sense when there is choice in dialogue and Aeriths OG gold saucer date which they think means Cloud and Aerith are officially a couple because that is super romantic? When Cloud in OG barely responds and you get a choice at the end of only that date to say I don't enjoy spending time with you or it's not that when Aerith asks do you not like hanging out with me because it was awkward telling someone I'm trying to find the real you and bringing up Zack. Same people feel disgusted by Highwind HA happening after that date? Which you can get both and Tifa starts lower because you can overtake Aerith with affection before even meeting Aerith in OG. But yeah I don't know if in their childhood playing the game they think that OG date with Aerith was super romantic or something but watching it now it's quite sad and Cloud doesn't react to any of the dates really? Cause believe it or not he's not thinking about romance and dating

Last edited:

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Oh man Reddit is something else right now talking about player choice, the game doesn't have romance, and my new favourite Japan celebrates Cloud and Aeriths wedding every year?????? That's truly insane to think that, she Canonically dies and there has never been Cloud and Aerith wedding events in the whole of Japan. help us all
You need help?

Just paste these pictures there.
Left is from June Bride 2017, and right is from June Bride 2019. They're from FF Airborne Brigade.
I'm sorry that there's not even Cloti in it but Zerith.
1719923473030.pngZerith Wedding Airborne Brigade 2019.gif
The Clerith fanservice I found from that game is Cloud & Aerith being Emperor & Empress on Hinamatsuri Event, so it's not June Bride.

Xannis

Rookie Adventurer
The discussion I had the person said the game favours Aerith if you play normally?

I assume you're referring to OG where Aerith starts off with more affection points than Tifa? Probably not the best take but when I learned about this mechanic (many years after I played the OG) and in looking at the story I always got the idea that the devs really did want players to get Aerith at the GS. I always thought they wanted you to get that date so that her subsequent death would be more impactful whether you perceived it to be romantic or not.

However, that opinion has always existed alongside the belief I've had that once the LS sequence happens you're meant to re-look at anything and everything that Cloud had done and said up to that point and re-evaluate and /or compare his actions after the fact. Meaning even if the GS date with Aerith had been full on slobbering romance what matters more to the story is what his post LS actions are because that's when we know he's back to his true self. His post LS actions seem to barely mention / think of Aerith at all. It can be hard to discuss because it's easy to accuse me of cherry picking things pre-LS that I might not like but I tend to think of it as if you have pre-LS Cloud doing something and post-LS Cloud doing something, then the post-LS action has the higher weight to it.

We'll see how it ages but I think Rebirth is trying to spell this pre/post LS Cloud out even clearer with the over the top violence scenes where he's basically channeling Sephiroth. Hoping we get some actual dialog of him saying something to the effect of "I hope you all know that wasn't me doing those things" to the gang after he wakes up.

Last edited:

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I assume you're referring to OG where Aerith starts off with more affection points than Tifa? Probably not the best take but when I learned about this mechanic (many years after I played the OG) and in looking at the story I always got the idea that the devs really did want players to get Aerith at the GS. Not because it was romantic mind you. I always thought they wanted you to get that date so that her subsequent death would be more impactful.

Additionally, I've always felt that once the LS sequence happens you're meant to re-look at anything and everything that Cloud had done and said up to that point with a grain of salt. Meaning even if the GS date with Aerith had been full on slobbering romance what matters more to the story is what his post LS actions are because that's when we know he's back to his true self. His post LS actions seem to barely mention / think of Aerith at all.
I think what kinda trips people up is that, like you say, the LS should make you look back over the first half of the game with different eyes. Preferably via a second playthrough.

It’s interesting because you’re not just playing a story where the main character is an unreliable narrator, YOU are also being actively manipulated. They know when to use your jrpg genre knowledge against you so the reveals hit a bit harder.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
As for the affection points that favor Aerith, the devs have said several times that they had to artificially increase her parts because she DIES. As a result, she has far fewer interaction possibilities than the other characters, especially Tifa. There was never any notion of "the right route" or "the right way" to play.

Once again, 20 years of bullshit based on an internal system that is supposed to be invisible to the player. Because, yes, it's all just the developers' internal trickery to make the game work.

Nomura : As for the heroines, during development some people were of the opinion that compared to Tifa, Aerith has fewer scenes and didn’t really stand out, so we also increased her appearances.

Nojima: As a motif for them, Tifa is “the childhood friend who’s been with you since nursery school”, and Aerith is “the girl who transfers school mid-term and quickly leaves for another school.” Since she doesn’t have many scenes, you’ve got to make it so that the transfer student has a big impact. That was what I thought.
From FFVII 10th Anniversary Ultimania

Last edited:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
That quote from Kitase that says something along the lines of "At the time, we thought it was an interesting idea to have the hero waver between the two heroines" I feel also trips people up regarding this stuff.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
His post LS actions seem to barely mention / think of Aerith at all.
That's interesting because I recently played G.O.D.: Mezameyo to Yobu Koe ga Kikoe which was released in 1996. It also had a blonde soldier character who slept with his first (incidentally pink, lol) love interest, Ai, during their journey and then lost her. First of all, this blonde soldier took off immediately in a complete rage and didn't really stop until he'd killed the alien who'd killed Ai. The game also did a surprisingly good job of showing him thinking of Ai after her death; for example, you can talk to the character when he's asleep and he'd mutter about Ai. He also got a second love interest eventually but kept thinking of Ai until the end. Not to mention that other characters also commented on his feelings for Ai. Admittedly, my memories of OG are pretty vague by now but I'm pretty sure it didn't do anything similar?

I wasn't sure if I should spoiler that or not, but I opted to spoiler it just in case.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
That's interesting because I recently played G.O.D.: Mezameyo to Yobu Koe ga Kikoe which was released in 1996. It also had a blonde soldier character who slept with his first (incidentally pink, lol) love interest, Ai, during their journey and then lost her. First of all, this blonde soldier took off immediately in a complete rage and didn't really stop until he'd killed the alien who'd killed Ai. The game also did a surprisingly good job of showing him thinking of Ai after her death; for example, you can talk to the character when he's asleep and he'd mutter about Ai. He also got a second love interest eventually but kept thinking of Ai until the end. Not to mention that other characters also commented on his feelings for Ai. Admittedly, my memories of OG are pretty vague by now but I'm pretty sure it didn't do anything similar?

I wasn't sure if I should spoiler that or not, but I opted to spoiler it just in case.
From what I can remember, Aerith doesn’t really come up again until Cosmo Canyon which leads into the second visit to FC with Buganhagan. That’s where we get lore about the White Materia.

I need to get to disc 2 on my OG playthrough. We have so much ground to cover in part 3

Top Bottom