• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Maleficent

Elisa Maza

Whomst
No, you're not reading the title wrong. Disney decided to re-imagine Sleeping Beauty as a live-action, only this time they're doing it right: they're focusing on the Awesomeness that is the villain, Maleficent. :joy:

And they got Angelina Jolie to play the part.
malfic.jpg

Burbank, CA (June 19, 2012) – The Walt Disney Studios announced today that production began Wednesday, June 13th, on “Maleficent,” starring Academy Award®–winning actress Angelina Jolie.

Directed by two-time Oscar®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (“Avatar,” “Alice in Wonderland”), in his directorial debut, and produced by Joe Roth, “Maleficent” is written by Linda Woolverton (“The Lion King,” “Beauty and the Beast”) and executive produced by Angelina Jolie, Don Hahn, Matt Smith and Palak Patel.

Co-starring in the film are Sharlto Copley (“District 9”), Elle Fanning (“Super 8”), Sam Riley (“On the Road”), Imelda Staunton (“Vera Drake”), Miranda Richardson (“The Hours”), Juno Temple (“Atonement”) and Lesley Manville (“Secrets & Lies”).

This is the untold story of Disney’s most beloved villain, Maleficent, from the 1959 classic “Sleeping Beauty.” The film reveals the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse the baby, Aurora.

Behind-the-scenes talent includes Academy Award®–winning cinematographer Dean Semler (“Dances with Wolves,” “In the Land of Blood and Honey”), production designer Gary Freeman (“Saving Private Ryan,” “The Bourne Supremacy”), two-time Oscar® nominated costume designer Anna B. Sheppard (“Schindler’s List,” “The Pianist”) and seven-time Academy Award–winning makeup artist Rick Baker (“Planet of the Apes,” “Men in Black”).

Source.

Maleficent is scheduled for a March 14, 2014 release in 3D.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
....What's wrong with Angelina Jolie?

Anyways this certainly sounds interesting..and sexy. :monster:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
....What's wrong with Angelina Jolie?

Anyways this certainly sounds interesting..and sexy. :monster:

Nothing, really. It's just the idea of Sora fighting Angelina Jolie sounds... too silly.

Also, I think her beauty is overrated. There, I said it :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Why are they suddenly focusing on the villain's perspective? is it because of Snow White and The Huntsman?

Elisa Maza

Whomst
SWATH wasn't supposed to be about the Queen, ergo the title: Snow White and the Hunstman. The fact that the Queen was the most interesting character, with backstory and stuff was the lack of solid, focused writing on the supposed mains.

And I'd love to see Maleficent's POV. Charmed did a good job doing this about the Wizard of Oz.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
SWATH wasn't supposed to be about the Queen, ergo the title: Snow White and the Hunstman. The fact that the Queen was the most interesting character, with backstory and stuff was the lack of solid, focused writing on the supposed mains.

I don't know if it was your intention or not but that came off as pretty condescending :/

I think he meant that what you mention there is the reason why he said that. A lot of people liked the queen and felt like she was a really successful part of the film, so that might have prompted people to make a film focusing on a villain instead.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Theron's portrayal was the only thing I really enjoyed in SWATH. It'd be interesting to see if Angie can match her performance.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

And I'd love to see Maleficent's POV. Charmed did a good job doing this about the Wizard of Oz.

If you mean the musical, sure. The book was just BLAH BLAH BLAH I'M SO MISUNDERSTOOD WOE IS ME OZ IS SO TERRIBLE FOR US and just sort of pissed on all the awesomeness of the other books in the original series.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I was more interested in this film when Eva Green was in talks about starring.

Not a fan of Jolie on a shallow level and a not-so shallow level. I've only really liked one film with her in it (Girl, Interrupted for which she won an Oscar), and even in that I thought her performance was overrated.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Why are they suddenly focusing on the villain's perspective? is it because of Snow White and The Huntsman?
Because Sleeping Beauty is a basic bitch and Maleficent has swag.

I can't believe I typed that.

But no seriously, whenever I hear people talking about memorable Disney villains, I always hear Maleficent pop up. Nobody actually cares about the other characters.

Also dragons.

Sounds pretty interesting. I'm wondering where they're gonna go with the story, though. Like, I don't really care that much about her past - I just want to see her be a badass villain :monster: .

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Claire Redfield said:
I've only really liked one film with her in it (Girl, Interrupted for which she won an Oscar), and even in that I thought her performance was overrated.

She basically won an Oscar for playing herself at the time.

Claire Redfield said:
You know

I have a better idea

why don't they just make a "Wicked" movie.

OMG yes. I'm a big fan of Wicked. I love Kristen Chenoweth and Idina Menzel on it. Defying Gravity is my favorite song.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm not really big for or against Angelina Jolie, but she does look pretty rad in that picture. Related - I rather liked her playing Grendel's Mother in Beowulf. Even if the majority of the film was a really terrifying journey into the uncanney valley, I liked her and I liked the dragon. If this movie gives me both of those in a single package, I'm totally up for it.

Also, the only movie where I thought that she was significantly attractive was Hackers.

X :neo:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
lol dem cheekbones

Lex

Administrator
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing this. I think Angelina Jolie is totally perfect for that role, and I always remember Maleficent creeping me out when I was younger and watching Sleeping Beauty.

I remember hearing this announced a couple of years ago and kind of assumed it would never get off the ground because the production year kept getting pushed back (the same thing happened with a book I read called "I, Lucifer" that I quite liked and they said they were making a movie of it with Ewan McGregor in the lead and it kept getting pushed back, which is really annoying because I think that'd make a good movie aswell).

Top Bottom