Message from Yoshinori Kitase

hian

Purist
Yet, FFVII didn't fit on a single disk
Just a note: It did and it does. The entire game is contained on every single disc, only the FMVs change.

I stand corrected.

To be pedantic though - aren't the FMVs a part of the game?

Drawing a parallel to modern AAA gaming and the remake - would Uncharted 1-3 fit on a single disk?
Will FFVIIR be bigger in total than Uncharted 1-3? Maybe.

No-one is going to make a game the size of 3 Uncharted titles and sell it in a single installment. No-one.

But, this is me assuming that's what Kitase and Nomura are aiming for. We might very well be looking at "The Walking Fantasy 7 Is Strange" two season linear BS game of the year.
I'm just trying to make a point here.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
We'll have to wait and see whether the FFVII installments are going to be equivalent to a whole game; somehow I have my doubts, also given that most FF games clock in at an easy 100 hours at least, 200 or more if you try to do all the things.

Lex

Administrator
Uncharted 1-3 do fit on a single disc. It's called Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection for PS4.

Also @Yop, you can legitimately 100% (at least, not miss anything and get everyone to level 99, kill everything) within 40 - 60 hours. Without rushing. I think people forget that FFVII is actually not that long for a FF game. I mean it's huge and it's full of content, and you can put 200 hours into it like... farming stat sources to watch the numbers go up in the status screen, but to literally do everything there is to do and get everything there is to get in that game it's not that long.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
It isn't. It was my argument. It also happens to be correct because A Song of Ice And Fire and Harry Potter are stories divided into series. If you think they aren't you clearly have no idea have these stories were written and work with a really strange definition of the term "story".

Please read up on the definition of strawman, because you're clearly using it wrong.

****ing fine, dude.

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition."

Now, here's what you did.

This is like saying Harry Potter couldn't have delivered the first 6 (or so?) books in the series because they didn't truly resolve the Voldemort issue,

The Harry Potter series cover 7 years of story, during which he goes to school, follows a year of education, goes back to his home, waits a summer, then goes on a new adventure, some not featuring Voldemort at all in sequence. Needless to say, you could barely have chosen a series where the breaking up points in the overarching are more obvious then example you chose to equate mine with. But Cloud's journey after Midgar is not like that at all.

Not that I inself mind you bringing up but if you're gonna be hostile about it.

I didn't say that either - but please carry on not reading what I am saying.

You brought up the Uncharted and Halo series as examples of series where we wouldn't call each game, episodes. And you went on to say that nevertheless you wouldn't get the whole story of Halo by playing one game. I don't think that's nearly as true of Halo as it would be of a single part of FFVII: Remake, or at least in a shooter it's not as important to it being able to stand on itself as it is to a role-playing game. After all, Halo already started in the heat of the action and unlike FFVII didn't feel the need to flashback and cover all the events that led up to that moment. And for many years, if you wanted to know, you had to buy a book of the game series rather then a game of the game series. Because Halo: Combat Evolved works on it's own.

Doing what? What ultimate nature? Your replies are becoming more and more incoherent. What's the point of quoting me if the thing you write doesn't naturally extend from what you're replying to?

ultimately as in the end, what will be the nature. You gave an example of what Kitasi could have said instead of just "we're turning FFVII into a series."

"we're going to have to split it up on several disks which we'll sell separately in order to get the game out faster" I think this is actually nearer to the whole truth then what he actually said.

I find it funny you compare Halo 1 with FFVIIR part 2.
Wouldn't the more accurate analogy here be Halo 2?

Personally, I wouldn't walk into Halo 2 without having played 1.

I certainly wouldn't have walked into Halo 4 without having played any of the preceding games. Maybe that's just me.

I talked about 2 earlier. It admittedly doesn't work as stand-alone story. It's decent enough as a starting point but doesn't have a great ending. They ran out of time to do all of the story they intended to cover in that game.
Now that's bad for Halo 2, but I'd say that'd more then acceptible for part 2 of FFVII:R cause it's subsequent game probably isn't gonna be on a different console as Halo 3 or viewed as a truly separate game at all.

As for Halo 4 that's the start of a whole new trilogy with new races and enemies. And it's new system seller and also in large part a multiplayer experience. So not just you, but there are plenty that started with Halo 4.

You're shifting again though - I am not saying these games (FFVIIR) should function as stand alone games - I am saying they CAN function as "stand-alone" games in a series both in terms of content and story-telling structure just as well as any other serialized game (and by that I mean that no serialized title truly functions entirely as stand-alones, yet function more as stand alones than what is typically associated with episodic gaming. This is a grey area, not black and white).

I understand this, and disagree. At least in terms of story-telling structure for at least some of the parts of FFVII: Remake. Unless, again, they change more of story then is, for us fans of the original story, desirable.

The obvious comparison would be to FF13, but as I've said 3-4 times already which you've conveniently ignored all this time is that the format I'm talking about already exists in The Legend of Heroes franchise.
These games are split into several parts (sometimes as many as 4), they don't make sense when played alone, but they are non-the-less full-blown games individually that wouldn't fit on a single disk.

That is exactly the same what you seem to think even isn't possible, or shouldn't be done for reasons.

It would be the latter, I do accept that it's possible. I admit haven't gone and straight away played every game of the Legends of Heroes franchise since the beginning of this argument so I don't know much about it. If as you say, they make no sense on their own terms storywise, aren't particularly wellsuited to be played individually either cause of, not just cause of levels, but Materia equivalents that require collecting and upgrading and optional party members and so on then I'd say it's reached the point where you shouldn't bat an eye that installment would be called an episode in the Legends of Heroes franchise.

Yet, FFVII didn't fit on a single disk - the story left most of its fans confused about several central issues of it, it contains tons of sub-narratives as well a larger overarching plot, the same as any other series.

discs that came in a single case, sold as one game. And now just as one digital whole.

And what exactly stops A Song of Ice and Fire from being one book? Length. It isn't the plot stopping the book from being told in a short way - after all the plot of that series, like most plots can be summed up in half a page or so.

No, it's all the characterizations, all the descriptions, all the flesh of the plot.

In ASOIAF they are one in the same, characters are treated as real people and it's not predetermined where they end up.

I've read the released plot of what GRRM was originally gonna do, which still was bit more then half of page, were going in very different direction now because of characterisation. GRRM isn't dragging things out for the sake of it, he has expressed that he feels pressured to work faster to stay ahead of TV-show longer. I don't think that can be compared to the padding of work that is closed and completed already like FFVII.

Nope, I don't. Only when you read in the clearly biased and charged way you do, does it come off that way.

But at least we've gotten you back around to the idea that I read your posts at all, that's something right?

Good for you. That's not how I or most people use the term (as is apparent by how people reacted to the news), because hey, "episodic" is a term derived from television, referring primarily to pieces of visual entertainment that lasts for, at most, a couple of hours, whilst each book in that series usually take people several days to read.

I didn't bring up books as an analogy. If books can't be episodes even in this metaphor then what are we talking about?

It ends with Dumbledore telling Harry Voldemort isn't dead and will come back completely setting up the next book in the series.

Well Midgar doesn't end with a promise that President Shinra will someday return after you've defeated him for the nonce. It ends with the unseen murderer of Tifa's father killing him, you fleeing the crimescene and then going after Sephiroth immediately, but not before Rufus reassures you that Shinra won't just come back, but is gonna continue on as it is has right now and he basically promises to be worse then his father (regardless of whether he makes good on that promise). That's the one of the better interim ending FFVII's got, see the difference?

Sailing off Junon is a sub-plot ending and a transitional point.

What sub-plot? Getting past Junon is the end of the getting past Junon subplot?

I could keep on going all day. There are literally so many places you can draw lines to this story it's harder not to find them than the other way around.

And if SE uses them all people would not be at fault for calling them the Corel Episode, the Wutai episode, ect.

This is so daft we're literally half-way saying the exact same thing - you simply seem to see no distinction between the degree with which something is part (a four piece cake as opposed to a 10 piece cake), and think that it's the story, rather than the game-play that will suffer the most from this shift in format - I think the impact on the story is largely inconsequential and that the biggest risk in splitting the game is on the coherency of the world and the game-play, and that for this reason, the parts will be few and large, rather than many and small.

If their motives were purely making the best game possible and not holding up to any form of release schedule yes. The world after Midgar is big, how big it is gonna depend on how in how many chucks the rest of the game is released and how quickly. If, for instance, Part 2 covers the rest of pre-Meteorfall, I don't think we are gonna see much more then the original game. And already having to buy it in mutiple pieces, whichever you want to call them, I'd feel that'd be a loss, at that point.

I too, don't think FFVII story lends itself to being split up into parts "utterly divorced from one another", however I reject that this is a natural and meaningful way to characterize the serialization of FFVII or any piece of art or media for that matter.
How many series have parts utterly divorced from one another?
I'd argue the numbered FF titles would be among the few that can.

When serialized, you will want to play the game from the first part to the last, of course, just like you'd want to read Harry Potter from book 1 to book 7(was it?) if you want that story.

How about the Compilation? Same universe. But the Turks' journey are quite seperate from Zack's, let alone Cloud's in the original game, and the dealing with the threat that Kadaj posed and Vincent's fight against Deepground. And I bet most people here went through them entirely out of order. Those I'd consider seperate games and stories or sub-plots if you prefer. Cloud's walk through each town while chasing after Sephiroth would have to work damn hard to do the same. 'Specially if divided from each other in 4 chunks.

My point is simply that I see no compelling argument as to why this cannot be a working format from a story perspective in regards to FFVII.

As would be the case if the game was simply split into three equal sized disks.

---

If FFVII Remake is made, for instance with 3 separate disks all containing roughly the same amount of content as a regular AAA PS4 title, with clear and distinct beginnings and ends that separate them from one another, I don't see why it would make sense to call it an episodic game which is a label you often use for games like The Walking Dead, but not use it for series like Uncharted, Tomb Raider and Halo.

You did so twice. And then once again, earlier this post, giving the example of a 4-piece pie, which more then 3, but still less then 5 parts.

If I was no way meant to use these as an idea for what the heck you were talking about then I do apologise.

My point was simply that there is no rule that says they have to be told chronologically or in one part - as FFVII already doesn't do this.

Cloud's background for example, isn't even fully explained unless you randomly run back to the Shinra Mansion in late game to get the "Crisis Core" flashback - it's optional for god's sake.

Random, or you felt more explanation was needed and was searching Vincent's final weapon and Limit Break with only a few likely options of where to find these things, but sure.

This is true for a lot of series too. The Wheel of Time jumps from one character's story to another all the time - sometimes omitting important characters for an entire book.
Pick up any one book of A Wheel of Time and you'll be ten times as lost as if you started playing FFVII at any random point.

So A Wheel of Time book, is bigger, but nevertheless no more it's own story then a single episode of a very serialised show, you read them altogether, got it.

1. Based on the interview, and the common usage of the term "episodic" in the gaming industry at the moment FFVIIIR is not going to be episodic.

If the A Wheel of Time comparison holds up, then I'd have to say this only true of it's sheer size and it's being an RPG not anything else And I agreed that FFVII:R is bigger then the Walking Dead of Life Is Strange. That much is obvious.

3. splitting up FFVII will not necessarily harm FFVII's story or game-play in any meaningful sense - it entirely depends on how it's done.

I agree.

Last edited:

hian

Purist
****ing fine, dude.

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition."

Now, here's what you did.

This is like saying Harry Potter couldn't have delivered the first 6 (or so?) books in the series because they didn't truly resolve the Voldemort issue,

And that is not a strawman - it's an analogy to your argument which I perceived to be that because the game starts and ends with Sephiroth, it somehow doesn't lend itself to the parts of the whole being told in a centered way with satisfying conclusions just because the don't resolve the overarching conflict with Sephiroth.

you :
Any multipart FFVII series is gonna have parts that start with chasing Sephiroth and end with chasing Sephiroth and do a multitude of barely connected things in the intermedium.

To which I replied using the book analogies. If I got your argument, or intent wrong at that point, it makes me wonder why you didn't just point that out there instead of going on a tangent about the differences between Harry Potter's overall narrative and FF7's as if this was indeed what you were saying.

The Harry Potter series cover 7 years of story, during which he goes to school, follows a year of education, goes back to his home, waits a summer, then goes on a new adventure, some not featuring Voldemort at all in sequence. Needless to say, you could barely have chosen a series where the breaking up points in the overarching are more obvious then example you chose to equate mine with. But Cloud's journey after Midgar is not like that at all.

I don't agree. While the overall plot of FFVII is about tracking down Sephiroth, most of the time he's just a shadow far in the distance. He doesn't feature prominently in the most of the problems you come across in the game.
If anything he's kinda like the first villain in the TV series the Mentalist.

Because each location you visit provides a new unique challenge bringing you slightly closer to Sephiroth, much the same as each book in Harry Potter brings Harry slightly closer to Voldemort, I see these two as being close to analogous - the only difference being in scope I.E the amount of detail offered to the parts.

You brought up the Uncharted and Halo series as examples of series where we wouldn't call each game, episodes. And you went on to say that nevertheless you wouldn't get the whole story of Halo by playing one game. I don't think that's nearly as true of Halo as it would be of a single part of FFVII: Remake, or at least in a shooter it's not as important to it being able to stand on itself as it is to a role-playing game. After all, Halo already started in the heat of the action and unlike FFVII didn't feel the need to flashback and cover all the events that led up to that moment. And for many years, if you wanted to know, you had to buy a book of the game series rather then a game of the game series. Because Halo: Combat Evolved works on it's own.

And again, this is not me saying "Size alone doesn't mean it's first part can be compared to Halo: Combat Evolved or Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" which was the charge you aimed at me in your reply.

Also, you thinking that isn't "nearly as true" implies that there is some sort of spectrum here. Either you're getting an entire story, or you're not.
Besides, getting an entire story isn't even the focus of a single entry in a series.

For me, the extent to which I am not getting a full story is secondary, if it's even relevant to at all, to the fact that I am not getting a full story - and in that regards Halo, and a serialized FFVII would be exactly the same.

ultimately as in the end, what will be the nature. You gave an example of what Kitasi could have said instead of just "we're turning FFVII into a series."

"we're going to have to split it up on several disks which we'll sell separately in order to get the game out faster" I think this is actually nearer to the whole truth then what he actually said.

What he actually said was fine, because Kitase didn't use the term "episode", as I've clarified over and over and over and over again in this thread, and the fact that you even acknowledge that how you phrase this essentially is the root of this issue makes me extremely perplexed as to why we're still arguing.

My argument is essentially - "episodic gaming" is a thing now, and it refers particularly to bite-sized parts of a game delivered in a similar fashion to that of episodic television, and FFVIIR is not going to be that, so would people please stop using that god damn term.

I understand this, and disagree. At least in terms of story-telling structure for at least some of the parts of FFVII: Remake. Unless, again, they change more of story then is, for us fans of the original story, desirable.

Then that's that.

On a side-note though, as a fan of the original, I personally wouldn't mind a lot of story changes at this point (better that than trying to do tie ins with the compilation, or re-creating the world in a more realistic manner only to keep all the plot-holes from the original story) as long as the general gist of it is the same.

It would be the latter, I do accept that it's possible. I admit haven't gone and straight away played every game of the Legends of Heroes franchise since the beginning of this argument so I don't know much about it. If as you say, they make no sense on their own terms story-wise, aren't particularly well suited to be played individually either cause of, not just cause of levels, but Materia equivalents that require collecting and upgrading and optional party members and so on then I'd say it's reached the point where you shouldn't bat an eye that installment would be called an episode in the Legends of Heroes franchise.

Simply put, Legends of Heroes are for all intents and purposes what it would be like to buy the first disk of FFVII, and then buy the two last ones half a year later.

The reason I don't call that episodic is because each part still includes 20-40 hours of game-play easily, and while ending in a cliff-hanger most of the time, still function, as games, on their own, and when added together make up one world where the areas of the first part are still interconnected with the second.

discs that came in a single case, sold as one game. And now just as one digital whole.

And needless to say, that is not pertinent to the point I was making. The game had to be divided (albeit just for the FMVs apparently), and as such, it could very well have been sold separately.

People seem to forget that this was already happening back in the PS1 era with the Shin Megami Tensei series (they called them parts though - not episodes).

In ASOIAF they are one in the same, characters are treated as real people and it's not predetermined where they end up. .

That's news to me. I'm pretty sure the entire ASOIAF is an allegory for the war of roses, and each character has already has his or her destiny written (more or less) in stone by the author.

They're not treated as real people any more than the characters of FFVII.
In fact, philosophically speaking I'd argue that it's methodologically impossible to treat a character as a real person, but that's another debate for another time.

I've read the released plot of what GRRM was originally gonna do, which still was bit more then half of page, were going in very different direction now because of characterisation. GRRM isn't dragging things out for the sake of it, he has expressed that he feels pressured to work faster to stay ahead of TV-show longer. I don't think that can be compared to the padding of work that is closed and completed already like FFVII.

You could still probably reduce it to half a page if you wanted to.
That's how story-telling and writing works.
It isn't padding or dragging things out - it's simply the fact that every story has an overarching plot(s) and overarching an theme(s), and how big and detailed the story is boils down to how much you expand the world and characters that drive the plot and the themes.

My point is simply that there is nothing within the plots and themes of FFVII that inherently makes writing it into parts any more difficult or contrived than any other story. The only thing that matters is execution.

I didn't bring up books as an analogy. If books can't be episodes even in this metaphor then what are we talking about?

We're talking about how, by the same token as books not being episodes, what makes a game episodic or not would be the qualities they share with those books, or conversely, which they share with the episodic format of television.

Well Midgar doesn't end with a promise that President Shinra will someday return after you've defeated him for the nonce. It ends with the unseen murderer of Tifa's father killing him, you fleeing the crimescene and then going after Sephiroth immediately, but not before Rufus reassures you that Shinra won't just come back, but is gonna continue on as it is has right now and he basically promises to be worse then his father (regardless of whether he makes good on that promise). That's the one of the better interim ending FFVII's got, see the difference?

Nope, I see them both as set-ups for a sequel. But please enlighten me.

What sub-plot? Getting past Junon is the end of the getting past Junon subplot?

Yep. That's exactly what it is.

And if SE uses them all people would not be at fault for calling them the Corel Episode, the Wutai episode, ect.

Sure. But do you really think they are? I don't.

If their motives were purely making the best game possible and not holding up to any form of release schedule yes. The world after Midgar is big, how big it is gonna depend on how in how many chucks the rest of the game is released and how quickly. If, for instance, Part 2 covers the rest of pre-Meteorfall, I don't think we are gonna see much more then the original game. And already having to buy it in mutiple pieces, whichever you want to call them, I'd feel that'd be a loss, at that point.

As would I. I don't see this is happening though. I am pretty sure each part is going to be a large and expansive game-play experience.
Personally, I'd put my money on three parts.

How about the Compilation? Same universe. But the Turks' journey are quite seperate from Zack's, let alone Cloud's in the original game, and the dealing with the threat that Kadaj posed and Vincent's fight against Deepground. And I bet most people here went through them entirely out of order. Those I'd consider seperate games and stories or sub-plots if you prefer. Cloud's walk through each town while chasing after Sephiroth would have to work damn hard to do the same. 'Specially if divided from each other in 4 chunks.

Yet they're not utterly divorced from one another either. Most of the compilation either rests on world-building done in previous titles, or exists as set-ups for other titles.
I've yet to meet a single person who'd walk into the FFVII compilation and play/watch/read whatever it was and feel as if they'd gotten a complete story. They always leave with more questions than they came with.

You did so twice. And then once again, earlier this post, giving the example of a 4-piece pie, which more then 3, but still less then 5 parts..

If I was no way meant to use these as an idea for what the heck you were talking about then I do apologise.

Once again we get to the territory where I have no idea what you're on about and whether you're actually replying to me, or just... No, actually I have no idea.

I called FFVIIR episodic of it were to be split into more than 3 parts? Please show me where I said this.
Again, I guarantee you I didn't.

If the A Wheel of Time comparison holds up, then I'd have to say this only true of it's sheer size and it's being an RPG not anything else And I agreed that FFVII:R is bigger then the Walking Dead of Life Is Strange. That much is obvious.

Which is pretty much the point I was trying to make the entire time.

It isn't story that worries me about splitting FFVII into parts, it's how it will impact game-play.

Oh, and the analogy holds up. If you ever have the time, and don't mind a headache, read the first couple of pages of any random book off of that series and prepared to feel completely lost in every conceivable way. That feeling won't go away by the end of that book.
In fact, if you pick a later book, it probably won't go away unless you read more than half of the books leading up to it, and still you'll be confused about stuff.

When I think about it - most of what confused me about that series didn't dissipate until the very last book... Whatever, screw The Wheel of Time.

Which means we're essentially on the same page here - the only contention being when and where it's appropriate to use the term episodic.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I didn't put a dramatic THE END at the end of my post, but I am actually as done as you were.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I think generally "episodes" are short (2-3 hours maybe) where as this will be a series of full-sized games. I think.

This is basically what I'm thinking too. Episodes would mean shorter 'games', less content, and probably released pretty quickly one after the other. (I also makes me think of chapters, like say if they released the CC chapters as individual episodes every few months).
But this being called a 'multi-part series' and them saying each installment will be a full-sized game, I'm imagining each one to be pretty big and have loads of content. I'm hoping they release one each year, so we don't have to wait long but still get good games.

I hope this is the main distinction. As I said before, I will be disappointed if they treat it like other multi-game series where you start over again, gameplay and character progression-wise, at the start of every game. I also would like them to all connect, rather than having to start up a completely different game when I want to continue the story after leaving Midgar. Multi-game series typically change up gameplay elements between releases too, which I will find off-putting if one game plays completely differently from the previous game.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I hope this is the main distinction. As I said before, I will be disappointed if they treat it like other multi-game series where you start over again, gameplay and character progression-wise, at the start of every game. I also would like them to all connect, rather than having to start up a completely different game when I want to continue the story after leaving Midgar. Multi-game series typically change up gameplay elements between releases too, which I will find off-putting if one game plays completely differently from the previous game.

Yeah, same. As I also said earlier in the thread, the continuity of gameplay and explorable areas is the only real anxiety I still have about the "multi-part series" format.
Like, I assume/am pretty sure there will be, especially since the Highwind (and is almost guaranteed not have a point and select type of travel if they're trying to remain faithful to the original experience) opens up the world later in the game. It's more that there is just so little information to go off, it can be challenging imagining how it will work. The only prior examples of games that have gameplay/gameworld continuity (that aren't MMORPGS) I have heard mentioned so far is Final Fantasy Dimensions, the .hack series, and The Legend of Heroes series that hian mentioned.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
I've never seen anyone outside of this forum happy that it's multi part. You guys have a special kind of devotion to VII and I suppose I respect that.

VII could work fine as one game. They're doing this for the reason they did it to XV if that's still a thing, big world. For the last time you don't have to render a whole planet, just use a not 1:1 world map with some really big Xenoblade/XII ish areas for the locations within that world map. World maps are how we keep a planet on disk with all of the important locations and just enough to make you feel like you're in the world. It reeks of a business decision too, they know they get more money out of pulling a Xenosaga with a game with about as much story as just Ep 1 of that series had anyway.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't have any doubt that they'd have to lose content if they did it in one go, but that's because it is a business decision. After the (let's sugar coat this) production road bumps and extended development cycles for XII, XIII and XV, it's safe to say the guys holding the money bags aren't going to shell out what is needed to do it all without seeing a dime until the end.

If the production can pay for itself, we're in good shape.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I've never seen anyone outside of this forum happy that it's multi part. You guys have a special kind of devotion to VII and I suppose I respect that.
Personally I had come to the conclusion that FF7:R should be multi-part long before FF7:R was officially announced. I've come to this conclusion after understanding the magnitude of the scope of a proper remake, where one wouldn't hesitate to expand on the world/story/characters given in the OG (as opposed to something limited to a graphical overhaul), and at the same time realizing what the associated production costs would be like.
I feel like many gamers out there only care about getting a product without trying to understand what it actually takes to make it.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

I don't know if I would say that everyone was happy per say. Most of us I think are more cautiously optimistic.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I've never seen anyone outside of this forum happy that it's multi part.

Seriously?

I've been reading random message boards, everything from game related (like Eurogamer and IGN) to niche sites with a single FF thread, and the general sentiments first range from shock and anger, to others being ecstatic that they can play the game very soon, to people thoughtfully considering the proposition that it could turn out to be for the best for both the company and fans.

So yeah, maybe it's just the message boards you're reading, but there is definitely a broad spectrum of thoughts out there, including happiness.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
There are quite a few videos on youtube of gamers just HATING the idea of it being multi-part and calling BS that it can't fit on one disc. Some believing it's going to be like Tell Tale games. I don't know why I waste my time :/

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
There are quite a few videos on youtube of gamers just HATING the idea of it being multi-part and calling BS that it can't fit on one disc. Some believing it's going to be like Tell Tale games. I don't know why I waste my time :/
Yeah, why try to understand the motivations of the directors when you could scream how much we're all victim of these big evil money-sucking corporations :monster:

Aeristh

Rookie Adventurer
Didn't reading through entire board, but...

First hearing of it being multi-part, I was raging quite a bit. I don't want to pay for each individual game/episode, whatever you wanna call it... but then again, I don't really invest in many video games anymore unless it's contributing to my SNES collection.

After reading Kitase's message, I feel a little better. It could be some BS to calm us down. I got excited about the rest of his message though. They are expanding the world and fleshing out the story. It sounds like this won't be half ass just to please the fans that have been begging for this remake.

Either way, I will still play the game. A year ago we thought this would never happen. If I'm not satisfied, oh well I suppose :awesome:

Top Bottom