Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Well, it does cut down on the amount of people Naruto will have to fight.

Although with Sasuke and Co. showing up, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

On Obito and Kakashi... if Obito hates Kakashi for killing Rin, how much more do you think he hates Minato for letting Kakashi kill her or get away with it. Or telling Kakashi to do it. That meeting is going to be messy.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Rin being 3 tail's Jinchuuriki...Never saw that coming. o_o

I suppose that this would have happened after Yagura was Mizukage, then? 3 Tails went from Yagura, to Rin, then went wild, got captured by Akatsuki and then resealed into ET!Yagura?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Wait... I think your timing's a tad off. Yagara was ousted by the 5th Mizukage so that would be when the Sanbii went free. Only that happened sometime after Akatsuki was formed... and Yagara's the Mizukage Zabuza tried to kill... which didn't happen that long before Naruto started. And this happens not too long after Kakashi Gaiden.

Also, Yagara was controlled by Tobi which would have to happen after this... Given how young Yagara was, he probably gets Sanbii after Rin does. Besides, Yagara is the one telling Naruto all the Bijuu's names. I'm taking that to mean he was the last person who had the Sanbii, otherwise it would be Rin.

And Obito's reasoning is only getting more confusing. It's becoming more clear that he stopped living in reality a long time ago.

Madara's reaction to Harashima coming is awesome.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Oh yeah, I had forgotten that Obito was the one controlling Yagura, so it must've been Rin -> Yagura -> 3 Tails goes Free - > Akatsuki capture -> ET!Yagura

But wasn't during Yagura's time that he started the tradition where Academy students had to kill each other in order to graduate? Or was it the previous Mizukage's reign?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Oh yeah, I had forgotten that Obito was the one controlling Yagura, so it must've been Rin -> Yagura -> 3 Tails goes Free - > Akatsuki capture -> ET!Yagura

But wasn't during Yagura's time that he started the tradition where Academy students had to kill each other in order to graduate? Or was it the previous Mizukage's reign?

Yagura had like, a really slowaging body. He was probably able to become a Bijuu host much later in life then most people.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I've finally got a moment to give this a proper reply.

I'm wondering what the significance of the shot where Juubi's looking at Naruto, and you see the faces of the 8 Biju behind him, followed by the silhouette of the Sage. Still, it was fantastic to see Hinata stepping up and taking charge, while Sakura took to healing Naruto's wounds. It's gonna be cool to see if everyone's roles get shifted a little bit after this series of events.

On to Kakashi & Obito: It's been nice to see that Obito is at a point where he's testing Naruto, but is still adamantly resistant to any persuasion to turn him from his path of destruction. It's also a good reveal that this isn't the only thing that's motivating him, and he's not so easily turned (which honestly makes me think of all the complicated things driving Sasuke's motivation, and how even SOME hope isn't enough to make him change his plans, and when they do change, it's for something unexpected and character-goal-centric).

The Mist village was clearly at a point where they were taking big risks prior to Yagura becoming the Mizukage. Using an assault tactic like that had the potential to deal a good amount of damage to an enemy village (especially if you plan an assault at the same time), but you also risk losing the Biju TO the village that you're attempting to destroy. After Rin died, it would've been a few years before Isobu reemerged (after which he was captured and sealed into Yagura). I'm not sure whether doing this ALLOWED Yagura to become Mizukage, or if it was done for other reasons, but we do know that Yagura was the best Jinchuriki. I'd actually like it if we got to dig in to a little bit more detail about how he went on to take over Mist afterwards.

Lastly, can we please talk about how Rin jumped in front of Kakashi's Raikiri, because he didn't want to kill her, and how accidentally killing Haku in the exact same way must've triggered some MASSIVE PTSD flashbacks for him?

X :neo:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I believe it triggered it, somehow he didnt want to move when Haku was killed. I know a man of his skill can easily throw Haku off just so Zabuza cant slice them both but he was frozen in terror for a bit and this chapter as well as Obito's fully explains that reason.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I'm wondering what the significance of the shot where Juubi's looking at Naruto, and you see the faces of the 8 Biju behind him, followed by the silhouette of the Sage. Still, it was fantastic to see Hinata stepping up and taking charge, while Sakura took to healing Naruto's wounds. It's gonna be cool to see if everyone's roles get shifted a little bit after this series of events.
Wonder if it means the Juubi sees Naruto as the same type of person the Sage was...
Lastly, can we please talk about how Rin jumped in front of Kakashi's Raikiri, because he didn't want to kill her, and how accidentally killing Haku in the exact same way must've triggered some MASSIVE PTSD flashbacks for him?
You could probably make the argument that anything everybody in the entire manga has done is because everybody has massive PSTD. I think the latest people have become ninja is age 12. If Naruto originated in the West... yeah... Nightmare Fuel. Instead of people in the system trying to fix the system, we'd have people in the system trying to destroy it... (who does this sound like?).

Only the people who should the most mentally unbalanced (Kakashi... became a genin at age 4, etc.) aren't. Which means no one else can really use that as an excuse. And again, I'm left wondering how long ago Kishimoto came up with this stuff. He came up with it at least as far back as Kakashi Gaiden... probably. Incidently, Raikari is probably one of the fastest ways to get killed in Naruto that actually insures you're dead at the end of it.

You know, I think the person Obito's really mad at is Rin. He even acknowledges that she chose to die, so the reason he really wants to bring the Shinobi system down is because it "forced" Rin to kill herself. I'd like to know what his reaction would be if someone ET'ed her.

Anyone think the shape of the cloud on the second page was done on purpose?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Only the people who should the most mentally unbalanced (Kakashi... became a genin at age 4, etc.) aren't. Which means no one else can really use that as an excuse. And again, I'm left wondering how long ago Kishimoto came up with this stuff. He came up with it at least as far back as Kakashi Gaiden... probably. Incidently, Raikari is probably one of the fastest ways to get killed in Naruto that actually insures you're dead at the end of it.

True that we're dealing with child soldiers all throughout the series, but there's also been a lot of focus around the idea that even people who are best adjusted to a life of combat still get SERIOUSLY messed up when that one thing that still connects to their emotions gets tugged at.

Itachi had Sasuke - he could murder his WHOLE CLAN for the good of protecting the village, but couldn't kill his little brother, because they had a close inter-personal connection. Likewise, Sasuke shut off all of his connections EXCEPT for the urge to kill Itachi, which is why it totally fucked him up when he found out that Itachi was always protecting him and actually loved him.

For Kakashi, I'd say that having the ONE girl who you sworn an oath to your dying friend to protect, suddenly leap in front of you and impale herself through her chest elbow-deep on your arm is gonna mess him up, regardless of the other combat and things that Kakashi would have been exposed to by then. In combat, you're personally distancing yourself from the situation, but this stuff jumps past all of those carefully constructed mental barriers. I'd say that the Haku/Zabuza battle would have had a pretty big impact on Kakashi, which is especially reflected in how he treats Haku after he dies.

Anyone think the shape of the cloud on the second page was done on purpose?

Absolutely.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Yay! Badass entry!! Very much looking forward to next week.

Also, Shikamaru's idea was cleevr. I never thought they'd simply get everyone to create walls, even if it's those who in theory should not be able to create worthy ones... Not bad at all.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I fangirl flailed in my chair for 5 minutes. :joy: (Now, if Kushina showed up....ehehehehAHAHAHAHAHAA)(But maybe at this point, it's not likely.)

Also, loving Kakashi's face being lit up by Raikiri and his vow to uphold Obito's ideals and feelings when Obito doesn't want them~

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Was expecting Bee to die for a minute there. :(

Very pleased with this chapter. Minato should be able to deflect quite a bit of the ten tail's attacks, at least the projectiles.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Love how what Kakashi is telling Obito has already been proven to be true with Sasuke.

And it looks like the rest of the gang's about to show up. That's going to be intense.

Btw, where are the rest of the current Kage?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Actually, I'm wondering where Sasuke is at this point as well. But I don't see him being out in the open at this point.

He's somewhere though.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I love how Kakashi cut through the idealized childhood versions of Obito & Rin without hesitation. Again, I love the foreshadowed juxtaposition of the values that Naruto & Sasuke fought towards being shown with Kakashi instead, while Naruto & Sasuke's story changes in a completely different direction. I also was really stoked seeing Kakashi being so dedicated in following Obito's code of conduct, even after he'd forsaken it.

I'm glad that we've got foreshadowing about a final transformation for Jubi still. The flower-throat version was a little disconcerting, but still kinda rad. I'm still wanting to see a version of Jubi that's a little bit less weirdly modular, and more just outright scary and intimidating. That being said, watching his Bijudama that was like... 20x the size of Gyuuki wreck through all those Doton walls was pretty damn terrifying.

After Hinata stood up to take charge of ensuring that everyone protected Naruto last week, seeing Sakura deliver a wide-scale speech was excellent, as was seeing Shikamaru step up into his dad's role of tactician, and Ino straining herself to run communications on such a wide scale (that moment actually reminded me a lot of the interpretation of the Kyubi attack on Konoha at the beginning of Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, where her father links everyone, and gets everyone to launch fireballs at Kyubi). Also - any time it's still showing hand seals is awesome.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that Minato is physically faster than the rest of them - plus he wants to see Naruto REALLY badly, whereas the others are probably dreading encountering Madara a little bit, even though they know they have to. Also - based on his calm reaction, I wonder how long Naruto knew that his dad had been coming to the battlefield for. (Here's to hoping that the other half of Kurama's Chakra is gonna be able to bring Naruto back up to full fighting capacity really quickly, so he can join in with the other Hokage - speaking of which, we need to get a flash over to the other Kage, especially because Hashirama needs to see his granddaughter).

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
New chapter's out.

Thoughts:

-Nice to see something with Team 7 after a good 11-12 years?

-Silly how Sasuke wants to be Hokage now, he just has to have his way somehow. Learn to cope, son. I guess this is Kishimoto's way of keeping some of kind of fight between him and Naruto at the end of all this; in this case a sparring match to determine a winner.

-Still haven't felt much toward Sakura's character whenever Sasuke's around, so meh. He tried to kill her repeatedly and she's still "S-Sasuke-kun..."

-LOVED the "...." reaction when the first Hokage shut Madara up.

Last edited:

Elisa Maza

Whomst
So what if I tried to kill you three times and I changed camps and beliefs 8765824569324569 times big deal btw I want to become Hokage now.

Naruto is a joke of itself. Not even Minato can save this train-wreck.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I wasn't happy about Minato thinking Sakura reminds him of Kushina, as it makes the Sakura-Naruto bond look a bit stronger; and Naruto still goes "yeah something like that" when asked if she's his girlfriend. As a NaruHina shipper... I don't like this!! But we'll see, I guess.

And moving on to serious business, it was cool seeing them together again after so long (not 12 years, but a good 4 years, it may very well be!). I'm looking forward to the next chapter, and I have to admit my face when I read Sasuke wants to be the next Hokage now was not dissimilar to those of the Konoha guys. This is shaping to be quite interesting.

And the rivalry between Hashirama and Madara is, as always, interesting.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Never before has my face....literally matched the expressions of every single person in a panel.

When Sasuke said...what he wanted to be. I was like....Omg. "WTF" doesn't even encompass the sheer levels of insanity he must be riding on to SAY THAT. LMAO. "That was so funny, I forgot to fucking laugh" sums up my statement on that. :monster:

Hashirama and Madara's interaction made me lawl. Apparently all it takes is his fated rival to break that aloof, badass personality of his.

But, its good to see them all back together again. And what the fuck, how the hell..does Minato have the Nine-Tailed Fox Cloak too?! How the hell did he gain that ability?!

Man, this chapter was fucking amazing in every way.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Minato likely has a Nine-Tails cloak because he sealed half of Kurama's chakra inside himself before he died. I guess it stayed bonded to his soul after both were released from the sealed demon's stomach, so I guess Minato can utilize it himself now.

Top Bottom