Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Glad to see Orochimaru to Tsunade's rescue. She's been bleeding out for quite a few months now.

Bet he trolls her with a curse seal.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I still don't like the idea of good guy Orochimaru.
It's less that Orochimaru is a good guy and more that he's a bad guy with a non-distorted view of the situation. He's smart enough to know to not do stuff like trying to take over the world because then it'll be him vs. the world, so he settles for more realistic goals that he actually has a chance to accomplish.

Actually, he freaks me out more then Obito/Madara because while he's definitely not a good guy, he knows enough to stay off Konoha's radar so that there are more pressing concerns then going after him. IE, he left Konoha long before the series started, but it isn't until after the Chunin Exams that Konoha makes an effort to find him and even then Akatsuki becomes a higher priority then him.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, the guy absolutely can't be trusted except where his self-preservation is concerned. He would have gone along with whatever decision Sasuke made, not out of nobility, but because Sasuke makes a far better ally than enemy.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Ok, so the Third Hokage getting to see them as the new Sannin - awesome.

I love that Naruto has a fully-grown Gamakichi now (another representation of how the growth of the characters has taken place). I really like Sasuke's snake Aoda, both appearance and how he's ultra respectful (the antithesis of Manda). I'm also glad that Sakura kept Katsuyu, because it makes more sense that Katsuyu would persist longer than the other two as a healing type, and it makes her connection to Tsunade's legacy more clear, whereas the other two's have already been firmly established.

Sakura taking care of the other Shinobi was a good opportunity to pull back and show that the army at large is still involved in the assault, and allow Naruto & Sasuke to still have their combo-moment. Plus, it presented an opportunity to directly show Sakura's new powers against the others that we've seen from Tsunade, but haven't seen from her yet - with the confirmation from Shizune (who it's nice to see again).

Then there's the nostalgia of Naruto figuring out his element and FINALLY coming full circle in a moment that just made my day, Scorch Element: Swirling Light Storm Pitch Black Arrow Mark Zero! Tobirama's comment that it's difficult to pull of a combined Jutsu requiring the same Chakra ratio like that even being complicated for an experienced pair is a good indication of Naruto & Sasuke's power being really close, and that they still share an intrinsic connection that is building back up.

The end of an optimistic ambiguity between Sai & Jugo was pretty great. (I'd love to see the two of them hang out). The end reveal of Orochimaru, Karin, & Suigetsu showing up was rather unexpected. I'm also wondering if she's the only one who's still dying, or if the rest of the Kage are still in rather shitty shape.

Either way. 100% fantastic.

X :neo:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
...Is...is Orochimaru being goofy and teasing Karin and Suigetsu? Oh my god I never thought I'd see the day.

And noooooooooooooOOO don't die Kakashi!

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I'm really liking Orochimaru, lately. Even if I still feel the change feels a bit forced.

Now I'm a bit concerned about Sasuke though. It may be a red herring, but Sai's interaction with Sakura makes it seem as though Sasuke still has his own agenda, which may not be exactly "good"...

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I genuinely liked Orochimaru this chapter. Like, really. He actually has me believing in his rehabilitation.

Don't know what to think of the Sakura bit -- maybe she's putting a happy face on things but hasn't forgiven Sasuke?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Today has been exhausting, and I haven't dropped in here for a proper comment on this chapter. The ambiguity of Sasuke and the momentary trust lapse was significantly well played, especially letting Si actbas the outside party looking in. I also like how he and Naruto don't see eye to eye on the tactics - he wants to save the Biju trapped inside Jubi, and Sasuke wants to burn everything down and start over, which feels like foreshadowing Sasuke wanting to annihilate the current system and start from scratch, whereas Naruto wants to save it. Sakura is caught in the awkward in between position.

Orochimaru getting to be playfully weird was excellent. I also like how they never directly show old Tsunade. It was also nice to have a good explanation on why they'd all been incapacitated for so long - trying to maintain her chakra, heal everyone, AND keep the kuchiose active. It was also nice to have Orochimaru give his analogy about passing the torch to Sasuke rather than remaining as a monolith forever.

Also- THAT CLIFFHANGER ENDING!

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Why the heck Madara
wants to be revived at this moment and lose all the advantages of an undead body (immortality, no chakra limit, etc...)? I understand that he has to be alive to become the Ten-Tails' Jinchuriki, but is he so blind by power that he didn't even consider that, even with all the power of the tailed beast at his disposal, he might, you know, get killed by Hashirama, for instance? Or maybe Madara still has a few tricks up his sleeve...only time will tell! :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^It seems like Madara is just along for the ride, unlike Obito who actually has something he wants to accomplish. Having one last fight with Hashirama seems to be what Madara wants the most.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit that chapter was amazing.

I like how we finally got to see how Obito and Zetsu were similar, and I'm extra digging that Minato finally got to be a part in getting resolution to Obito's attack on Konoha. I also love that his mark never disappears, as I'm sure that'll be important. I'm wondering about the traitor remark he said to Sasuke though. Also: THAT ENDING.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Please let that have been a kage bunshin. Please let that have been a kage bunshin. Please let that have been a kage bunshin. [/extreme denial]

*rocks back and forth*

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Final Forms! Final Forms all over the place!

Also, I'm used to seeing the zombies reform after exploding. I need more confirmation that they're dead.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Welp! That's not good. And depending on what the Obito/Juubi relationship is like there's a very good change Obito isn't even in control of his (their?) body.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Ok. Now that I finally have some time to write a proper reaction:

First of all, I loved that they used Hinata to do a recap of the Jubi being absorbed into Obito. Awesome to see her and Sakura working in tandem.

On to Jinchuriki Obito - He is intimidating as hell. That unnerving wide-eyed, almost zombie-like stare is WAY more terrifying than if you could see his emotions. It's made even more unnerving by the fact that we're not sure who's in control of this body (which isn't even the final form, according to Gyuuki). I also really like how the ten arms ar arranged on his back. They're really unique, and they could have been generic wings or something else, but I really love it.

But then we see Hashirama seal him down with a super-compounded seal that he just blows apart before just ripping apart the barrier that withstood a direct shot from a Bijudama. Not only that, he just BLITZES right through Edo-Tobirama and Hashirama's wood clone. Holy HELL he's terrifying, (not to mention that Madara's still got some goddamn shenanigans up his sleeve). Thank fuck the other Kage are headed back soon, 'cause it's gonna take absolutely everything they're got to take these two down.

I'm also wondering if the Jubi's defeat is gonna end with the chakra being dispersed, like when you kill a Jinchuriki and everyone preparing for its reemergence, and we'll get a proper time skip again to them officially taking over the roles of the older shinobi.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Woah, I just realized that they have a secret weapon in this fight: Kakashi is still inside Obito's dimension.

Top Bottom