NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Those are all true, Tres, but yeah it would be odd to make it THAT far and then call it. Also, I know you didn't mean it as such, but the potential rudeness of the phrase
That's kind of a good point
made me laugh :monster::properhug:

And yeah, while I am as excited to see Tifa as anyone, the consternation over her design is overblown as usual, I imagine. You have people convinced that a tight white tank top and a miniskirt would be sooo unacceptable in this day and age and then other people who are so ready to light their anti-SJW cannons if she doesn't look like she came out of Dead or Alive. Square has made multiple renders of Tifa in her FF7 outfit over the years, and they were just fine. She might look a little different, but she's just gonna look like one of those.
bf60fc6a374c573eafde1746c1932d29.png

FF7 anniversary render. Advent Children face, boobs are little bigger than in Dissidia, hair's a little too short. Love the detail and colors on the gloves (and materia!)

d8w5sdu-9276dc7c-3157-4f49-b9a8-8231434c276b.png

Dissidia render, I always bang on about this one because it's my favorite. I guess because I think it's the prettiest she's ever looked? Her hair is more black than brown which I know people don't love, but it is the appropriate length. The gloves could be a brighter red but I love her stance, and visible bicep. The boobs are a little smaller than the first render, but they still qualify as "big" so who freakin cares. The skirt's short of course, but so what, just don't be ridiculous about highlighting it in the cutscenes.

So yeah, she'll look something like one of those, I'm not worried at all. I'm just very excited to see her at all because Tifa is awesome :) Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Regarding the "leak" from post #168 (https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/new-trailer-state-of-play-may-2019.21417/post-814336)

[...] HUGE presence at E3 [...] pretty lengthy trailer [...] game play and story [...] game play demonstration [...] release date [...] Early November 2019

This I can totally believe. While November sounds a bit too early, I doesn't feel impossible either. It's been in development for around 5 years by now and Nomura has said a few times that (paraphrasing) "progress goes smoothly", "we're ahead of schedule", "cut scenes are further along than KH3" and so on.

He claims it will be split into two parts. Part one will end with the death of Aerith.

Well... While it COULD be possible, I highly doubt that, as many of you do, for the same reasons.
And another one.

Aerith's demise happens at around 60% in the story and as a player, you lose a valuable party member in the middle of a single game. You spent time leveling her up, equipping her with better gear and Materia, had her heal and revive her team mates, had others do the same for her, she is an integral part of the story... the list goes on. Having to go on without her doesn't only hit the emotional strings but also lets you feel that loss in gameplay.

If any part ends just after she dies, that impact is lost. Sure, it would be a gut wrenching ending, but even more so if the game just keeps going, as it would be if part 2 starts with the Kalm flashback and ends with the Summoning of Meteor. The characters are in revenge mode and as they finally reach the real Sephiroth, everything goes to crap. That's an even better ending in my opinion.

[...] even though Yuffie is a mandatory character the window that you obtain her optional

Plausible and identical with my theory. It would be the same as in the original with the only difference that around Rocket Town, the encounter with her and her recruitment becomes mandatory. And I also think that Wutai should remain optional for reasons I don't want to go into just now as this post will already be quite lengthy.

[Jenova] is going to be frightening with this new tech.

I sure hope so! Just like the Trail of Blood segment, the Train Graveyard, the Gi Caves (that FACE!), Emerald Weapon... I could go on.

Also mentioned that the Sephiroth scene from the teaser is from the Nibelheim flashback in Kalm. Points to the fact that you can see the road lines to prove that it is not in a reactor like some fan speculation has been.

That I call bullcrap (for now). The only point in time that said scene could take place is while Nibelheim is in flames as Sephiroth goes berserk. there's no other flaming scene I can think of during the Flashback. This being said, unless Nibelheim gets a MAJOR overhaul, it doesn't contain any sort of automobile road containing lane separation stripes. Sure, those stripes on the ground may represent something different but currently, I just can't see that scene being the one from the Nibelheim fire. In the original game, Sephiroth doesn't speak to Cloud at all during that scene (yes, things can change for the Remake yadda yadda). The line "Can you bare to see the Planet suffer, Cloud?" doesn't really fit that scene either. It does fit as a mental glitch, however (the inferno of the Mako reactor explosion triggers the flaming Nibelheim memory).

Limits

His description of Limits with the first one of each level being an equipable Special Attack sounds reasonable, but also kind of needlessly complicated and reduces the number of attacks usable through the limit gauge. I might mention this variant in my video, but I'll be thinking of other possibilities.

Magic and Summon materia [...] characters will be a little less like "blank slates"

Expectable.

Trying to just spam one character will not get you very far in the game.

Hopefully that's the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting leak and certainly food for thought or rather conversation. I still remain skeptical of the validity of that guy's friend's sources.

Thanks for sharing! @pxp

Edit: added link to the post containing the leak.

Last edited:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Dissidia render, I always bang on about this one because it's my favorite. I guess because I think it's the prettiest she's ever looked?

That's the reason I didn't like this one. Tifa was supposed to a streetfighter. "Pretty" seems kinda of out-of-place to me for the character. I much preferred that Advent Children one. She looks tougher, and less like someone who'd curl her eyelashes.

Lex

Administrator
Regarding the "leak"...

[...] HUGE presence at E3 [...] pretty lengthy trailer [...] game play and story [...] game play demonstration [...] release date [...] Early November 2019

This I can totally believe. While November sounds a bit too early, I doesn't feel impossible either. It's been in development for around 5 years by now and Nomura has said a few times that (paraphrasing) "progress goes smoothly", "we're ahead of schedule", "cut scenes are further along than KH3" and so on.

He claims it will be split into two parts. Part one will end with the death of Aerith.

Well... While it COULD be possible, I highly doubt that, as many of you do, for the same reasons.
And another one.

Aerith's demise happens at around 60% in the story and as a player, you lose a valuable party member in the middle of a single game. You spent time leveling her up, equipping her with better gear and Materia, had her heal and revive her team mates, had others do the same for her, she is an integral part of the story... the list goes on. Having to go on without her doesn't only hit the emotional strings but also lets you feel that loss in gameplay.

If any part ends just after she dies, that impact is lost. Sure, it would be a gut wrenching ending, but even more so if the game just keeps going, as it would be if part 2 starts with the Kalm flashback and ends with the Summoning of Meteor. The characters are in revenge mode and as they finally reach the real Sephiroth, everything goes to crap. That's an even better ending in my opinion.

[...] even though Yuffie is a mandatory character the window that you obtain her optional

Plausible and identical with my theory. It would be the same as in the original with the only difference that around Rocket Town, the encounter with her and her recruitment becomes mandatory. And I also think that Wutai should remain optional for reasons I don't want to go into just now as this post will already be quite lengthy.

[Jenova] is going to be frightening with this new tech.

I sure hope so! Just like the Trail of Blood segment, the Train Graveyard, the Gi Caves (that FACE!), Emerald Weapon... I could go on.

Also mentioned that the Sephiroth scene from the teaser is from the Nibelheim flashback in Kalm. Points to the fact that you can see the road lines to prove that it is not in a reactor like some fan speculation has been.

That I call bullcrap (for now). The only point in time that said scene could take place is while Nibelheim is in flames as Sephiroth goes berserk. there's no other flaming scene I can think of during the Flashback. This being said, unless Nibelheim gets a MAJOR overhaul, it doesn't contain any sort of automobile road containing lane separation stripes. Sure, those stripes on the ground may represent something different but currently, I just can't see that scene being the one from the Nibelheim fire. In the original game, Sephiroth doesn't speak to Cloud at all during that scene (yes, things can change for the Remake yadda yadda). The line "Can you bare to see the Planet suffer, Cloud?" doesn't really fit that scene either. It does fit as a mental glitch, however (the inferno of the Mako reactor explosion triggers the flaming Nibelheim memory).

Limits

His description of Limits with the first one of each level being an equipable Special Attack sounds reasonable, but also kind of needlessly complicated and reduces the number of attacks usable through the limit gauge. I might mention this variant in my video, but I'll be thinking of other possibilities.

Magic and Summon materia [...] characters will be a little less like "blank slates"

Expectable.

Trying to just spam one character will not get you very far in the game.

Hopefully that's the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting leak and certainly food for thought or rather conversation. I still remain skeptical of the validity of that guy's friend's sources.

Thanks for sharing!

Can I have a source for this?

EDIT: Never mind, I went back in the thread :P

Last edited:
Reactions: pxp

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
That's the reason I didn't like this one. Tifa was supposed to a streetfighter. "Pretty" seems kinda of out-of-place to me for the character. I much preferred that Advent Children one. She looks tougher, and less like someone who'd curl her eyelashes.

If they do indeed expand on everything in Midgar, I hope we get a bad-ass intro for her where she fights a bunch of blokes in her bar. I maybe even just some downtime where they all kind of chill and chat. Like in between missions in the Mass Effect games, where you can talk to individuals on your ship.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Same, I really liked how her face looked in AC, I liked how they incorporated Ayumi Ito’s features into her design.

People can curl their eyelashes and still kick ass, what is this nonsense lmao
They weren’t necessarily saying that. Sure people can do so, but the argument is whether the developers/designers should do so based on how much it fits their character or not.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
People can curl their eyelashes and still kick ass, what is this nonsense lmao

They can, but they generally wouldn't. You wouldn't put a lot of effort into your appearance if it was gonna get messed up when you get into a fist fight later that day.

Lex

Administrator
They can, but they generally wouldn't. You wouldn't put a lot of effort into your appearance if it was gonna get messed up when you get into a fist fight later that day.

60007025_10161655098110175_8481307975661649920_n.jpg

This has no real bearing on her being naturally pretty and being pretty has no bearing on her fighting ability. She can be as pretty as she is in that art and still be Tifa. Mentioning her curling her eyelashes at all is random and weird.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
This has no real bearing on her being naturally pretty and being pretty has no bearing on her fighting ability. She can be as pretty as she is in that art and still be Tifa. Mentioning her curling her eyelashes at all is random and weird.
No one is saying Tifa isn't naturally pretty or that she can't be. The argument being made was that the AC Anniversary render design fit better for her character than the Dissidia opening design, and that as a character it would be perfectly reasonable to expect that Tifa would not be a character to curl her eyelashes.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
This has no real bearing on her being naturally pretty and being pretty has no bearing on her fighting ability.

Well I was assuming a certain level of realism. Obviously since it's technically fantasy, they can just do whatever they want and people won't really care that much.
But in reality, of course being pretty has a bearing on your fighting ability. There are a whole range of physical traits that make someone a good fighter. Longer arms, broader shoulders, bigger hands, wider neck, thicker jaw, muscular body, etc etc.
And almost none of those traits matches what people think of as "pretty". It's basically the complete opposite.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Sure. But I chose Waterson because she is a former model. Literally the kind of person who curls her eyelashes. Also a tough as hell fighter.
Yeah, but does Waterson also curl her eyelashes when she's about to go into a MMA fighting match? That's the point.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Yeah, but does Waterson also curl her eyelashes when she's about to go into a MMA fighting match? That's the point.

Guess I didn't get that from this post:
I much preferred that Advent Children one. She looks tougher, and less like someone who'd curl her eyelashes.

In any case, it is fantasy. You wouldn't even want earrings if you thought there might be fists thrown. And yet most of these characters sport them.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
In any case, it is fantasy. You wouldn't even want earrings if you thought there might be fists thrown. And yet most of these characters sport them.
Of course, with character design for JRPGs there’s always going to be a balancing act between more realistic elements and and the more fantastical for “the aesthetic” elements. And each and everyone has their own tastes and preferences in regards to that balance.

Top Bottom