NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
We still don’t know what they’re changing, removing and adding to the remake. They could just do away with the world map side. None of us know.

It could just be mostly barebone zones from place to place.

They could’ve have done midgar through to the end of the OG disc1 if it’s structured like that and the tony bronco is just map selection.

We don’t know.

But with the way they’ve said they’d like to surpass the original I think part 1 will end long before that point

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I wrote just yesterday that I thought that if the game was in parts, either it would be 3 parts (Midgard, Aerith's death, the end), either 2 parts (Aerith's death & the end). Then I thought about it and wondered if they had really enough to fill a whole game just with Midgard... it feels stretching this part, so hopefully it is indeed in 2 parts. There's still a lot that happens after Aerith's death after all.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Look. I would LOVE it if they were able to keep everything after Midgar completely under wraps. That would be an INSANELY AWESOME surprise if, after going through 20 - 30 hours of Midgar, the game opened up EVEN MORE. I would lose my fucking mind.

I am the world's greatest optimist about this Remake. And even I think that's ridiculous. As Kiwi said, they could just do away with the World Map, but it's unlikely if they really want to try to top the original. At best, this will end at Kalm or the mines. But I'm still Team Midgar over here.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I wouldn't mind if it was zone-based (which can throw up a whole load more discussion of course) up until the acquisition of the Highwind, at which point they suddenly - SOMEHOW - make it open world/world map stylee.

More misc. observations, thoughts and speculations in response to the trailer. Using JP timestamps again.

0:15
When I first watched the trailer I was unsure if this transit was during the Mako Reactor #1 mission or the Mako Reactor #5 mission. Two arguments soon made me go for Mako Reactor #1.
- For the Reactor #5 mission, in the OG, AVALANCHE divides into two teams (Jesse-Biggs-Wedge and Cloud-Barret-Tifa) and leaves the train at different times.
- After seeing the destruction caused from the Reactor #1 explosion, I really don't think that Jessie would act this casual about the mission. When the Reactor #5 mission begins, Jessie is supposed to be more remorseful and doubtful.

The text below "HAIR TONIC" reads "Ideal Scalp Care".

0:18
Am I supposed to recognize the symbol for this CAUTION sign? I don't recognize it from, well, anything.

TGathRq.png

I enjoy how the reactor water doesn't look like undiluted mako but simply has a green tone to it. Makes you think more about real-life reactor water.

0:19
Only noticed just now that a train is driving past in the background. If anybody ever doubted that this is the Winding Tunnels, it'd be very difficult for them to deny it now.

The graffiti "Keepout" in the background is NOT from the field backgrounds of the original game. I checked all the graffiti just to make sure.

0:21
This is the only time in the HUD where one of the blue bars is completely depleted. This happens to be in conjunction with when Cloud appears to be using Braver. When Cloud is hanging onto the railing at 0:19 these bars are completely gone. Looks then like the blue bars are the equivalent of ATB gauges. I wonder if only special actions will deplete this bar, while simple attacks and blocking won't?

Barret's second blue bar is a little more than half-full at 0:13.

0:29
Really appreciating the choir addition to Aerith's theme here.

0:37
Whenever the Limit Bar is full there is a green glow right below it. This is especially obvious in the sewer footage here but you can also see it at 0:21 and at 0:42.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
We still don’t know what they’re changing, removing and adding to the remake. They could just do away with the world map side. None of us know.

It could just be mostly barebone zones from place to place.

They could’ve have done midgar through to the end of the OG disc1 if it’s structured like that and the tony bronco is just map selection.

We don’t know.

But with the way they’ve said they’d like to surpass the original I think part 1 will end long before that point

My point wasn't really about the world map though. It was that by Aerith's death you have basically been to every location. After going to the Northern Cave at the start of Disc 2 you spend the rest of the game going back to places you've been previously, so it seems like if you made that much you could just keep going a little longer and finish the whole thing.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
After going to the Northern Cave at the start of Disc 2 you spend the rest of the game going back to places you've been previously, so it seems like if you made that much you could just keep going a little longer and finish the whole thing.

This is exactly right. I just feel it is more realistic to expect a Midgar game and then they would move to a more "open world" style after that. AT BEST.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If it’s three parts, I’m still hoping for the first part to end with the ship to Costa Del Sol with the Cargo Ship acting as a final dungeon/area and Jenova Birth being the final boss for that part. And then have part two end with the Weapons awakening and Jenova Death being part 2’s final boss.

Also I hope the Big Materia hunt is expanded in terms of narrative significance i.e. give more justification for why Avalanche shouldn’t let Shinra try to destroy Meteor with the Big Materia beyond not trusting Shinra’s competence and/or the Big Materia being vaguely important. Like maybe explicitly specify that the Big Materia are so valuable to the Planet that if The Planet didn’t have them when Meteor hit it, it wouldn’t even have enough Energy to even converge on the “wound” epicenter and would be completely obliterated instead of just be heavily damaged and making Sephiroth a Lifestream God. That make the “not worth the risk” reasoning much more justified IMO.

Only noticed just now that not only Cloud but also Barret has a strange gadget attached to his back in the fight against the Cutter Machine.

These gadgets are not present in any of the other scenes. At some point between the Winding Tunnels and the latter stages of the Lower Sector 4 Plate (when the team is fighting the Grashtrike) these gadgets are attached and then discarded. I would guess that they are related to the infiltration plan AVALANCHE has, but what it does I don't know. A laser cutter? A zipline gun? A fake keycard? Could be anything.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Yeah you would think if a part made it all the way to Aerith's death, they could just go ahead and finish the game, as they will have had to have created the whole world map for that.

But hey that would be sweet if that were all true, lol.

My sentiments exactly. That is so much game, and they clearly only have Midgar to show.

I trust that scoop about as far as I can spit. That Sephiroth moment being in Nibelheim? That’s a laugh.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I imagine they changed her dress to give her more mobility. The originaly looks like it could have two modes: Panty shot, or Morticia Addams Walk. Neither are conductive to melee combat and traversing different terrain.
The obvious question this begs, which is one that’s been asked many times for many years though now the answer would appear to be imminent, is what have they done to/with Tifa’s miniskirt?

I look forward to seeing Tifa's design for one simple reason: I know I will have no strong feelings either way but it will be mildly amusing to see the internet lose its shit at whatever creative decision is made.

For so many people the world will be in an apocalyptic fire after the reveal.

Meanwhile I'll just be here all liek
neutral.jpg

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The obvious question this begs, which is one that’s been asked many times for many years though now the answer would appear to be imminent, is what have they done to/with Tifa’s miniskirt?

I actually wondered that myself yesterday when this quote was debated ha. But then what else would be left? Mini-shorts are Yuffie's after all. And I remember Kaori from City Hunter said she wore mini-skirts cause they were easier to move in (lol), I wonder if that was the opinion of FFVII's creators too? XD

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
My point wasn't really about the world map though. It was that by Aerith's death you have basically been to every location. After going to the Northern Cave at the start of Disc 2 you spend the rest of the game going back to places you've been previously, so it seems like if you made that much you could just keep going a little longer and finish the whole thing.
That's kind of a good point, but there would still be a lot of individual scenes to program, and there are still unique field maps not on the list of places you're required to go on Disc 1 (e.g. Mideel before disaster+after, the underwater reactor, parts of Junon, parts of Midgar, Cloud's mindscape, the non-collapsed crater, the collapsed crater, etc.).

There would still be plenty to be done to encompass a second game's content while putting development staff in a position to reasonably expect to finish the next half of the game faster than the first.

That being said, I'm doubtful of the first installment of the remake going as far as Aerith's death. I don't know where to expect it to end, but not there.

That also being said, I don't expect the entire first installment to only be in Midgar either. How much could they really expand a segment of the original game that typically takes even first-time players less than 10 hours? Would even doubling it be enough to amount to a full game by itself?

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I look forward to seeing Tifa's design for one simple reason: I know I will have no strong feelings either way but it will be mildly amusing to see the internet lose its shit at whatever creative decision is made.

For so many people the world will be in an apocalyptic fire after the reveal.

Meanwhile I'll just be here all liek
neutral.jpg
Gamefaqs is already in flames over this since the latest trailer drop, unsurprisingly.

For my part I’m still expecting a miniskort and nerfed, though still appreciably sized, 80085.

Edit: @Eerie

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Honestly, they were never outrageously huge like some have claimed. As a guy who has an endowed significant other I've always thought the whole thing was silly. Even in Advent Children, where she was fairly big-chested, she was wearing what amounted a a leather sports bra.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
In regards to Tifa’s design, I expect either no change from her AC/Dissidia opening renders (though with like modesty/dark sport shorts under the miniskirt), or secondly the skirt gets a slit for extra mobility but the modesty/sport shorts are even longer making it almost skort like, or thirdly, they give her black leather shorts.
I don’t really care much either way as long as they avoid a panty shot/tighty-whitey fetish aesthetic for the mini-skirt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom