Ok, there's something we need to talk about

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
Can't say I agree with this. She didn't actively ostracise Cloud, Cloud made his own problems by picking fights because he didn't know how to intergrate. And in any case they were kids.

As an adult, she hasn't seen the guy in years, she finds him tripping balls on the streets of Midgar and he's the only person from her time in Nibelheim (everyone else being dead/gone) She realises he isn't all he seems and decides to keep him close to find out what the hell is going on. Sure she develops feelings for him, and helps him regain himself.

Cloud isn't an asshole in the OG - he just doesn't know who he is, the compilation had him doing some questionable things that I think were rather unfair towards Tifa - even if Cloud believed he was doing it for the best.

TLDR there is a lot more to Tifa than boobs, even in the OG and most people here know that :monster:
I guess I can see where you're coming from, that's just not the way it seemed in the OG game. I felt an overpowering sense of "okay I get what they're doing here," and no narrative explanation could have convinced me that Tifa wasn't created specifically out of a very shallow idea of someone's ideal girl.
The whole game kinda lacks a lot of depth. Everyone has a slight feeling to me of being more a character type or archetype, rather than fully realized characters.
But yeah, On the Way to a Smile really changed the way I looked at Tifa, and the relationship between her and Cloud. Tifa's like in super mommy mode post-OG. She's got this sweetness and gentility. She's the kind of person with a lot of love to give. It makes a lot of sense why she has had so much patience with this cold, distant, confused asshole (I stand by calling Cloud an asshole). She's the kind of person who takes care of people who don't have the strength to take care of themselves. I find that really cool.
But yeah, did not see any of that in OG. Maybe my vision was just marred by 15-year-old eyerolls, but I honestly think it wasn't there.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
So... what? Is your problem with them that are committing the horrible crime of pretending to be overly nice? I mean I get that posers can be annoying, but who are you to call them out? If anything I'd call out more guys like the first one who actually said something derogatory.
My point is that often, the defensive need to shout loudly "I am not like those other men," often actually leads boys to say stuff way, way worse than "those other men."
I don't think anyone should be concerned about boob jiggles in their video games, it's not hurting anyone, and it's not gonna stop the Remake from being dope as hell.
I actually did try to not respond and instead tried to vent the frustration to a friend instead, but it didn't work. Call it a moment of weakness.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I am hoping for a nip slip! I was always staggered that they managed to stay in that tiny top of hers while she was bouncing around the highwind when the weapons came flying out the northern crater!

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I guess I can see where you're coming from, that's just not the way it seemed in the OG game. I felt an overpowering sense of "okay I get what they're doing here," and no narrative explanation could have convinced me that Tifa wasn't created specifically out of a very shallow idea of someone's ideal girl.
The whole game kinda lacks a lot of depth. Everyone has a slight feeling to me of being more a character type or archetype, rather than fully realized characters.
But yeah, On the Way to a Smile really changed the way I looked at Tifa, and the relationship between her and Cloud. Tifa's like in super mommy mode post-OG. She's got this sweetness and gentility. She's the kind of person with a lot of love to give. It makes a lot of sense why she has had so much patience with this cold, distant, confused asshole (I stand by calling Cloud an asshole). She's the kind of person who takes care of people who don't have the strength to take care of themselves. I find that really cool.
But yeah, did not see any of that in OG. Maybe my vision was just marred by 15-year-old eyerolls, but I honestly think it wasn't there.

I'm sorry but how is this less idealised then the one from the original game? In the game Tifa's far from perfect, in how she deals with her parents death and how she dealt with Cloud's delusions and eventual breakdown, at times being overcome by feelings of despair, revenge and grief but she struggled through it in the end. Post-AC Tifa is as motherly, gentle and patient as she needs to be for Cloud and Barret to be free to work through their stuff.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
It happens. :monster:

Opinions aren't wrong but it makes a huge different how they are expressed. Thats a beast I'm working on tackling myself.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I'm sorry but how is this less idealised then the one from the original game? In the game Tifa's far from perfect, in how she deals with her parents death and how she dealt with Cloud's delusions and eventual breakdown, at times being overcome by feelings of despair, revenge and grief but she struggled through it in the end. Post-AC Tifa is as motherly, gentle and patient as she needs to be for Cloud and Barret to be free to work through their stuff.
Maybe I described this poorly. It felt more manufactured to me in VII. I couldn't understand why Tifa would care so much about this asshole, that her entire world and existence becomes about taking care of him. I felt more like Tifa was being treated as an extension of Cloud, and I didn't actually know much about her. It was post-OG that I started feeling like I had a greater, deeper understanding of her character. I don't think depth needs to come from someone being flawed. The use of the world "idealized" might have given the wrong impression. I meant that it felt to me like she was invented with a purpose and a function (which happens to be being someone's ideal woman). I don't really like it when I feel like characters are created to serve a function or be a certain character type. But if they grow and develop beyond that, it's all gravy.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I would hope. But all I see here is an awful lot of defensive dudes being like I hope her boobs don't jiggle, I hope there's no panty shots, I don't like big boobs I am an adult man and I'm above that that.

Uh, I genuinely dislike panty shot bullshit in Japanese media because I find it trashy and unnecessary. Should I lie about that? The only one who got defensive real quick here was you.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
As a woman - I am concerned about fan service in video games.

For one - unless the game is made specifically for women - such as shojo dating sims or ero games - it is always the female characters who are objectified.

The male characters may be fit and they may be pretty since heroes are generally muscular and there's no doubt that many find Final Fantasy's men attractive - but they aren't treated as though the exist for the male gaze. In contrast, things link panty shots in Type 0 and Cindy's design in VX exist solely because straight boys like it.

The message here is straight boys are the consumers whose interests are catered too and women are the objects who are consumed.

If a male character is too sexy and makes men uncomfortable - the character's design is changed https://www.vpointnews.com/Article/...characters-costume-changed-for-being-too-sexy if a female character is too sexy and makes women uncomfortable women are told they're too sensitive and the creator argues that because the character has a personality the way she's dressed doesn't matter (again Cindy from XV).

So there's a double standard where men aren't objectified but women are...If both men and women were equally objectified I'd be fine with that - everyone has things they like - but the double standards reenforces the idea that women exist to please men. A lot of misogyny is rooted in the idea that men are entitled to women and hatred of women develops when men feel they're being denied what they're entitled too (be it women not dating them, or women complaining about how female characters are treated in video games).

I appreciate guys who will say they don't like fan service.

Because

A: people, including developers are much more likely to listen to men where as women are just being too sensitive, additionally men can make statements about things without fearing getting death threats or rape threats - so I am all for men saying they don't want mainstream video games to have female characters who look like they should be in an ero game.

B: Because it does feel alienating for me when there's fan service for straight men in everything because it makes me feel like - this isn't for you - you are not the target audience. And video games are overwhelming made by and for men - despite the fact female players make up half the population of people who play games. Final Fantasy is especially popular with women - so I hope it doesn't go down the road of being made with boy's in mind instead of something everyone can enjoy

Also - large breasts are painful. My cousin who is very well endowed was an athlete in high school - there were times she'd end up bleeding because of her sports bra- so yeah breasts bounce but you do your best to manage them. So having a large breasted character isn't a problem - but having a character be in a sports bra would be nice - not magical anti-gravity bouncy balloon boobs.

And in the original game she has big boobs - I'm fine that characters have big boobs - plenty of women have them - I just don't want needless fan service where the camera lingers on them bouncing.

Finally, I want to say - fictional characters are not people. So it's not like a woman who chooses to dress in a revealing manner who may be objectified by those who look at her. These are characters who are created - they don't have a choice in how they look - so when an artist makes a character walk around in a bra that's then objectifying the woman by creating a female character to be an object. The issue is why have characters who look like they were created just to get men off if not to say 'this game is to cater to men's fantasies - framing women as objects rather than people'.

My desire for toned-down jiggle physics/Tifa wearing a sports bra is based on the fact that Tifa is athletic and as a girl with DDs...ouch. I just want to be able to use her in battle without cringing in sympathy :P

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I hope there are no boob jiggles and panty shots. :( Maybe let her wear her iconic outfit in the beginning but change into something more practical when they raid the Shinra building?

Although...I have really small boobars...so, ladies with more experience in this field, please shed some light...is it possible to keep your big boobies at bay?

This almost made me bust out laughing at work. Good thing I managed to keep it in. :monster:

I have only a single D cup but I don't like them moving. When doing physical activitie I wear sports bras that are slightly too small. It may make me look weird (ie uniboob) but everything stays in place.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
To be fair, that male character from Mevius looks fucking stupid, and not at all sexy to me :monster:

But I think men and women differ on what they find sexy anyway. Not that women don't appreciate visual/physical stuff - we do, I do anyway, but clothes maketh the man imo.

EDIT: I hate the sports bra shelf-boob too, but it's either that or getting concussion.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
The way I look at it, some people just arent comfortable with the fact Tifa is sexy. Yes there was ONE brief fan service moment in a 50 hour game. Big deal. Maybe they should throw in a shirtless Cloud or Sephiroth scene to even it out.

I like to think that she's wearing more than just undies under her skirt...like maybe some spandex shorts. :D

Like Lightning from FFXIII? No way

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I'm not a woman, but I am fat, and I can say my manboobs hurt enough when I run, so I couldn't imagine the strain on a non-sports bra'd woman. :monster:

While you try to get the mental image of my manboobs out of your head, I'm all for having Tifa wear her more modest AC outfit in the remake, but having a casual scene where she wears the classic outfit (or hell, a DLC... lololol) wouldn't bother me either.

Edit... and clowd.

Sephiroth-ffvii-fmv-shirtless.png

You talking 'bout me bruh?

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
The male characters may be fit and they may be pretty since heroes are generally muscular and there's no doubt that many find Final Fantasy's men attractive - but they aren't treated as though the exist for the male gaze. In contrast, things link panty shots in Type 0 and Cindy's design in VX exist solely because straight boys like it.

. . .

If a male character is too sexy and makes men uncomfortable - the character's design is changed

I'm really attracted to Kuja.

Anyway, I'll agree that the cultural standards of feminine attractiveness vs. masculine can be distressing. The fact that the ideal woman is super hot, and the ideal male is like, a nice, kind person. That's a sentiment I can get behind. But I don't think that that means that all hot ladies should be removed from fiction. I think that diversity should be present, for sure. I think that video games should have a higher ratio of fully dressed to scantily clad women, and more male characters with a more diverse range of masculine attractiveness as well.

I think SE has been doing a bitchin' job of that. I think they did in FFVII to be perfectly honest. Aeris, Tifa, Elena, and Yuffie all represent very different ideas of feminine beauty.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I hope there are no boob jiggles and panty shots. :( Maybe let her wear her iconic outfit in the beginning but change into something more practical when they raid the Shinra building?
LOL

. . . I can't wait for everyone to freeze to death on the Gaea Cliffs.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Not having her wear her traditional outfit for the entire game is grounds for me not buying this remake.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
LOL

That reminds me of a quote from Star Ocean: The Second Story where a character who dresses like this is in the wintry town of Giveaway. When you talk to her in private action she complains that she's freezing and your character basically says "well maybe you should put on some clothes."

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
All this talk makes me happy to have inverted boobies. :desucait:

Howl, I still love you even if your boobs are inside out :monster:

Maybe they should throw in a shirtless Cloud or Sephiroth scene to even it out.

Sephiroth spends most of the game topless at the Northern crater, given that the Sephiroth we see walking about is actually Jenova. Then he has is top off as Safer Sephiroth, and in the final battle with Cloud. Plus Bizzaro Sephiroth is just a big mess of abs :lol:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
LOL

Or maybe everyone can buy coats!-

183742702-female-snowboarder-in-snow-gettyimages.jpg

Actually, I'd love outfit changes throughout the game to fit the environment. Like - I don't care if everyone is in swim wear in Costa Del Sol (I'm from Arizona - and I can say that women here wear as little clothing as possible when we can get away with it - at U of A it was common to see shirtless men and women in just sports bras or in swim wear - it's really freaking hot guys).

So like everyone can bundle up in the snow and wear less at the beach. I mean - the party is a bunch of wanter terrorists so why not wear whatever helps you blend in.

And more outfits to cosplay!

Re - Kuja - I wonder why everyone got up in arms about Mevius when his outfit wasn't any worse than Kuja. That said - I think Mevius was hot and what bothered me was they redesigned Mevius at the same time they were brushing off complaints about Cindy (whose design is equally stupid - equally for a mechanic but that's another topic).

But in general I agree. I'm fine with fan service, but I'd like it to be spread out. Sexy men, sexy women, conservative men, conservative women - all body types and fan service for all interests. So long as it's not constant fan service and only fan service geared towards men.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
(I'm from Arizona - and I can say that women here wear as little clothing as possible when we can get away with it - at U of A it was common to see shirtless men and women in just sports bras or in swim wear - it's really freaking hot guys).

I'm 100% behind you on this. I don't like being halfway nekid in public but there are times when the heat is (quite literally) killer and you just need to be as naked as possible. My last water bill actually had a flyer recommending that residents not go outside or do strenuous tasks in the daytime. Lol. We had our first 107 degree day of the summer not long ago. Anyway, when it gets hot like that, I don't see people oggling over each other because the only thing on your mind is NOT suffering from heat stroke and you have absolutely no desire to anything besides laying on the floor and trying not to melt. :D

WEATHER PERMITTING, I can understand why some characters would be naked-ish...sort of like Ashe or Fran in FFXII.

Top Bottom