• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

PlayStation 4

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Wow, really?

My one and only fat PS2 is still going strong almost nine years later. :monster:

I know there's always someone who has to tell me about their flawless console and how it's been working forever once I mention my broken ones.

I just...didn't think it would be you.

WHY. :@

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I have a PS2 that's been going strong since 2001. Working Megadrive and Genesis as well.

On the main topic at hand, I really hope they don't try to home in on the used market. If they do, I may simply have to stop at the PS3 in protest.

Lex

Administrator
Wouldn't it make more sense, if the next Xbox isn't supporting used games, for Sony to build their next console so that it does?

I suppose it's a bit of a double edged sword, because you'll be more likely to sell consoles if they allow the playing of used games, but developers might all become exclusive to the opposition if it guarantees more income. In which case, less good games = less console sales, as is always the case. Strange thing.

I'd be grateful for backwards compatibility. I wish my PS3 Slim had PS2 backwards compatibility, literally to save me digging out the PS2 and fiddling with the laser adjustment. That's why I never play PS2 games anymore - takes too long to set mine up. (Because it's ancient, and almost broken. It would be unusable if I hadn't googled and opened it up myself).

Ghost X

I won't buy it straight away. I'll wait at least a year. The way people keep saying that consoles are gonna be obsolete soon, makes me wonder if I should wait a little bit longer also, to see if such is the case. Then I might not buy it at all. In the end, scratch that, I guess what it comes down to more importantly is if there is any decent games that I feel is worthy for me to waste my time and money on :awesome:.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I don't know what your guys problems are. I've never had a problem with my PS3. :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Well I've had problems, but they were all caused by Mass Effect, which isn't the PS3's fault. You can't get through 2 and 3 without having to hard reset your PS3 at least once due to crashes. And then it tells you it might be corrupt and it wants to check your hard drive - never.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
PS3 web browser also frequently makes it crash. The browser is so shitty. ='D
I was forced to rely on it for a while. Those were the dark times...

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I know there's always someone who has to tell me about their flawless console and how it's been working forever once I mention my broken ones.

I just...didn't think it would be you.

WHY. :@

Sorry. :P

It sat dormant for over a year after I got my PS3, but now I have it set up on a little TV in the basement because one of my roommates likes Kingdom Hearts. :monster:

Still functions like the first day I turned it on. :D

PS3 web browser also frequently makes it crash. The browser is so shitty. ='D
I was forced to rely on it for a while. Those were the dark times...

My PS3 crashes when I use the browser as well. Not that I use it much because it's a pain anyway. I was just trying to find cool background images. :(

I suppose it's a bit of a double edged sword, because you'll be more likely to sell consoles if they allow the playing of used games, but developers might all become exclusive to the opposition if it guarantees more income. In which case, less good games = less console sales, as is always the case. Strange thing.

I never thought of this before. But it makes a lot of sense. Where the developers go will most likely decide who comes out on top in the next generation. If they all went Xbox exclusive so that everyone would be forced to buy new games it would give Microsoft clout to use this technology.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
As you can imagine the CEO of Gamestop isn't very happy about this.

Good, I hope gamestop/eb die in a fire. They charge ridiculous prices for games new and pre-owned these days.

Also, while not being entirely unable to play pre-owned games it does prevent you from getting the full experience out of them unless you pay 'em a fee. You're wankers, Sony, pure wankers.

That's not Sonys fault it's the publishers (EA, THQ etc etc) that want to have the silly online pass thing. I don't think any sony published games have the online pass either. So I don't see how that's sonys fault.

Anyway both the PS3's i've had are still going strong. My brick one is now my uncles and there's only been a few issues with it where it wouldn't turn on for a month and then all of a sudden it did again. Same thing happened to my slim one I have now but it's working fine again. If you're wondering why I got a slim one I got it for free with my 3d tv. :P

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
It's the developers who require this fee? That's interesting, I hadn't heard that mentioned before, but that does put a new spin on things. Why are they requiring this? Do they not want to encourage people to buy their games?

At what point in business do the ones trying to get the sales don't realize that the best way to do this is to encourage sales through pre-owned games, since that means that people will be able to justify the price to themselves? Some people never try new game series because the cost is prohibitive. They can't afford to get a game they don't care for.

My PS2 actually lasted a very long time. My PS3 is going strong too. I haven't had any issue with the hardware, just finding the time to play the games (maybe this is the reason my game consoles last so long...). XD

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Having to spend an extra £10 to get the full Mass Effect 2 experience is why I have been putting off starting ME2, which I did get preowned so maybe the code would have worked if I had gotten it new and earlier on. If there is an extra pass you have to buy separately, and it's just online multiplayer or something, I wouldn't bother with it at all.

I'm skeptical about digital-only stuff. Looking at these Vita games that are like, £40 to download. If I'm spending that much money, I want something I can hold in my hands.

(I still have two working PS2s, the only problem I've had is the controller going funny, and except a couple of crashes my PS3 has been fine since whenever it was Devil May Cry 4 came out which was when I got it. The biggest problem was one of the PS2s wouldn't load the second disk of MGS1 when you have to switch them, so I couldn't finish the game.)

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
It's the developers who require this fee? That's interesting, I hadn't heard that mentioned before, but that does put a new spin on things. Why are they requiring this? Do they not want to encourage people to buy their games?

At what point in business do the ones trying to get the sales don't realize that the best way to do this is to encourage sales through pre-owned games, since that means that people will be able to justify the price to themselves? Some people never try new game series because the cost is prohibitive. They can't afford to get a game they don't care for.

My PS2 actually lasted a very long time. My PS3 is going strong too. I haven't had any issue with the hardware, just finding the time to play the games (maybe this is the reason my game consoles last so long...). XD

DICE creator of the Battlefield series originally intended for Battlefield 3 to not require the online pass/unlock. EA basically said, we wont publish this game if its not on there. Sony has nothing to do with the fees what so ever.

Publishers do this because of stores like Gamestop and services like GameFly and Red Box. They get 0 money from these services after the initial sale, so with things like a 10$ online pass on a used version of BF3 they atleast get alittle something something.

Microsoft is currently developing a service that charges, i repeat CHARGES, for fastforwards and Skipping on DVR's. I remember reading an article indicating that Sony was decidedly against quick digs at the customers pocket like this. So the rumors about the PS4 not being used game compatible is really surprising. I'd be surprised if it was true to be honest.

Its rumor season and if one thing is true bad press is better then good press and nothing gets a website, blog and newspage more hits then saucy news that pisses people off.

For all you people talking about breaking PS3's. Its your fault it broke, the PS3 is the most stable console this generation and its only fault lied in the version that was PS2 disc compatible, which would tend to YLOD *(yellow light of death) with in 2-3 years. The PS3's biggest issue, and honestly its not that big of an issue, is the glue that seats the CPU to the motherboard, sometimes it dries up and causes it to over heat. This will only happen if your PS3 is running hot as fuck, so my suggestion is ventilate it asap.
Make sure there is atleast a minimum of 6 inches between the ps3 and its back wall but preferably keep it in open air for best results.

Extreme measures would be to reseat the cpu yourself and reglue it. Its really hard and can cut your fingers if you do it wrong but can extend its lifetime, especially if your using the ps2 compatible SKU.

I have 3 PS3's.
The fat 40gb non backwards compatible version.
The fat ps2 compatible version. It has a CFW firmware hack and is capable of burning Discs, despite the blu ray laser not being meant to do that its still running fine.

And a newfangled slim one that gathers. Really the only one i have issues with is the fat 40gb one and its only because Battlefield 3 is litterally breaking it. BF3 crashes often, usually atleast once a night and doing a hard reset is taking its toll on the ps3.

I'm skeptical about digital-only stuff. Looking at these Vita games that are like, £40 to download. If I'm spending that much money, I want something I can hold in my hands.

Why. Discs are prone to crashing alot now, are prone to damage and destruction. If your Disc gets fucked up no matter how you spin the story your liable for it and its not like EA will give you another one.
Atleast with digital content if shit happens, you can just download it again.

Take battlefield 3 for instance. Like i said earlier it crashes all the fucking time, for alot of PS3 players.
Reason is EA fucked up and made shit discs. All you have to do to fix the issue is download the game from the PSN. Yeah its a big file on your drive but it doesnt crash either so its worth it :P

Being able to hold a game is nothing more then a novelty, and is most definitely a liability that wont be around much longer.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Yeah I guess you actually had a chance to look under the hood of my PS3 and know under which circumstances it died to make the assumption that it was my fault.

herp derp

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Typically most electronic failure is caused by over heating that could be prevented by the user. In most cases it is the users fault im not going to pretend like in some cases it cant be avoided but more often then not the console died because of something the user did.

I.e. Putting it in a stupid place, not clearning the fans, ect.

The only cases i would say it probably wasnt a users fault without a doubt would be with xbox 360's , just because those things just break out of thin air anyway.

Anywho want to redact an earlier statement. I said PS3's were the most stable this generation. Its actually the wii, but the PS3 is still fairly stable.

http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2011

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well my console was neither in a stupid place nor were the fans dirty. Can't do more than give it fresh air, if that asshole still breaks, it's not my fault and Sony can suck my cock. :awesomonster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Which model was it? Like i said in some instances there is an issue with the seating drying and causing the cpu to eventually crash and burn. Some models were more susceptible to this at lower temperatures then others.

Also a fair point to note that as of 2011 some of the older models are starting to succumb to there age and crash (as shown by the chart). So it would be a good idea with you owners of the older fatties to definitely start keeping an eye on them, and if your brave try doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZ0PUsAWlM

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
While I agree that there is a responsibility on the part of the consumer to look after stuff (ie not letting the cat sleep on the fucking thing) I still don't accept that the majority of breakages/faults is the fault of customers.

I have a PC that gets hammered on a daily basis for hours on end, for games, for power sapping programs like Photoshop etc and its not some sort of suped up high end thing, its roughly equivalent to a PS3/360. I haven't invested in a special cooling system or anything, I don't give it any special maintenence like cleaning the fans (though I know I should) and although I'm not going to claim that it hasn't shat its pants on occasion, its never just flat out broken.

I'm not going to claim that this is a case of inbuilt obsolescence (even though it feels like it sometimes) but rather a general shoddyness of build quality, that and we pretty much know they make a ridiculous markup on these consoles. Like that glue drying on the motherboard issue? It's just not good enough. /2cents

Ghost X

I concur with the argument that unless there is evidence it is a systematic problem with a particular batch or whatever, its generally the customers fault. My PS3 has worked fine since I got it 3.5 years ago, which may be fortunate, as I have done little to maintain it :P.

Top Bottom