PlayStation 4

AvecAloes

Donator
I'm pretty sure I got my PS3 in the late fall of 2009...? Regardless of how long I've had it, I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a new console until there are several compelling games that I would need to buy a new system for. None of this buying a system and then just waiting for something worthwhile to play on it.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
You know what I'm excited for, and have been hoping for since Feb last year?

PS_Controller.jpg

I want this because of reasons: http://kotaku.com/5886154/hitting-the-back-of-fifas-net-with-the-back-of-the-ps-vita

...And it's totally happening: http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...dium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

X :neo:

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I still don't have any playstations, so if they will release PS4 soonish, I might buy it. :awesome: Does anyone know yet, if it's possible to play earlier PS games with it?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I also don't have a PS3 yet - I keep putting it off, but I have a good reason for doing so now. But I've never stopped enjoying games on my PS2, so I'm sure I would be content with a PS3 for many years after the PS4 comes out. Unless... there's suddenly a really awesome Final Fantasy game made for it which I have to have. So, as I said, I'll be content with a PS3 for many years after the PS4 comes out :sigh:

I still don't have any playstations, so if they will release PS4 soonish, I might buy it. :awesome: Does anyone know yet, if it's possible to play earlier PS games with it?
I'm sure that information will come out later. Backwards compatibility can be expensive, though; the very first PS3s were capable of running both PS1 and PS2 games, but despite costing a small fortune to buy, they still made a loss for Sony. So they dropped the PS2 functionality, but were still able to emulate PS1 games. I imagine that the PS4 will be powerful enough to emulate PS2 games, but whether it will is another matter.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I also don't have a PS3 yet - I keep putting it off, but I have a good reason for doing so now. But I've never stopped enjoying games on my PS2, so I'm sure I would be content with a PS3 for many years after the PS4 comes out. Unless... there's suddenly a really awesome Final Fantasy game made for it which I have to have. So, as I said, I'll be content with a PS3 for many years after the PS4 comes out :sigh:

Well the next console is here, now they have to make a FFVII remake, versus XIII, and Agnis Philosphy.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I got my PS3 in late 2009, the console has been very good to me. I'll buy a PS4 when a really great game comes out so basically when Naughty Dog releases a PS4 game.

I'm sure that information will come out later. Backwards compatibility can be expensive, though; the very first PS3s were capable of running both PS1 and PS2 games, but despite costing a small fortune to buy, they still made a loss for Sony. So they dropped the PS2 functionality, but were still able to emulate PS1 games. I imagine that the PS4 will be powerful enough to emulate PS2 games, but whether it will is another matter.
Honestly I doubt it will. Why put in backwards compatibility when they can just get you to buy them again on the ps store?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
With the rise of HD ports of PS2 games, I doubt anyone's gonna bother with backwards compatibility to it anymore.

Lex

Administrator
I definitely won't be buying it right away. I'll want it with my whole entire being, but there's no point.

I don't regret buying my Vita by any means, but I've basically played all the games I'm interested in at the moment so it sits on a shelf waiting until I get bored enough to either replay a PS1 or PSP game.

I'd consider buying it at launch if it has PS3 backwards compatibility, which I suspect it will. I don't think it'll have PS2 backwards compatibility, but PS3 games are already in HD and look great. The only real "enhancement" would be slightly smoother edges in some areas.

I'm a bit fucked if they release an Uncharted game on it at launch though, because I'm going to need that in my life. I genuinely don't care about controller functionality, as long as it remains similar to the dualshock design, which I suspect it will.

Anyone remember the fiasco when they tried to do this? -
ps3-first-controller.jpg

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If they're smart, it will be backwards compatible for PS3 games, at least.

The PS3 was the first console I ever bought anywhere close to launch. I don't regret it, but we'll see if I'm so quick now, I have a healthy backlog.

Depends on the games, I'm sure.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
There's no way it'll be backwards compatible for PS3 games. The architecture for the PS4 is so different, and trying to add in something to emulate the PS3's cell processor would be an additional cost on an already expensive system. PlayStation usually sells at a loss, especially at first, so anything that cuts down cost is gonna be something to note. Additionally they WANT the PS3 to have a long life if possible, and backwards compatibility would mess with that.

As for the PS1/PS2 emulation, it's likely that the downloadable games will still be playable.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yop is worse, his is only a few months old same as my brother, serves them right for waiting too long. :monster:

I'm intrigued, can't wait for February 20th to see what it is.

no u, I couldn't be arsed :monster:. Instead I've enjoyed many years of free gaming thanks to the miracle of piracy.

Hardware-wise, the major rumors right now is that it'll contain an AMD processor, thus stepping away from their Cell processor, which was highly experimental at the time iirc - and a pain in the ass for developers. Using more mainstream x86 architecture processors will mean two things:

* Easier development
* No / very difficult backwards compatibility

If they want to run PS3 games on the PS4, either the developers of those games would have to redo large parts of the code, or Sony should include an emulator, which iirc they did / do for the PS1 / PS2 compatibility of the PS3. Emulating a specialized 8-core Cell processor on what - iirc - will be an 8-core x86 processor will be tricky, mostly because those 8 cores were mostly floating-point units. Then again, with programmable shaders in GPU's nowadays, as well as GPU's being packaged with CPU's, turning them into additional specialized processing cores, they could perhaps do tricks with that.

[/nerd]

As for what they'll actually do, I'm afraid they'll do what they're doing with the PS3 right now; port and re-sell PS1 / PS2 games via PSN, which for some people will mean they'll have spent money on the same game twice.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Question

Is it possible to be on the PSN on more than one console at one time?

If I got a PS4 or whatever it will be called, could I be logged onto PSN on the PS4 and PS3 at once?

I don't really know why I suddenly really want to know. :P

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
No matter what, I'm gonna wait till they release later models that do not have RROD-like symptoms that eventually lead to its collapse.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Question

Is it possible to be on the PSN on more than one console at one time?

If I got a PS4 or whatever it will be called, could I be logged onto PSN on the PS4 and PS3 at once?

I don't really know why I suddenly really want to know. :P

You can log onto PS3, Vita, and a PSP at the same time already. They'll probably just have different interfaces for all 4 devices.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't let you cross purchase for PS3 and PS4, it just means you can't play PS4 games on a PS3. You'd just have to transfer it. I use my PS3 to hold a lot of PSP games for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom