PlayStation 4

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
That "Soul Calibur VI" announcement is a pretty big deal. Exciting to me anyway.

I second this. SCVI is hype.

And speaking of hype, if anyone has Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2, there's going to be a rebalance update later this year some time (possibly after EVO Japan).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The past few months I've had to constantly delete shit from my PS4 whenever I got a new game. I think it's finally time to upgrade that hard drive and rid myself of this hassle. :@
2TB should do...I hope...

Lex

Administrator
I just played Wipeout in VR as a taster (I'll have more time after work tomorrow night) and it's one of the most jaw dropping experiences I've ever had playing video games - they released a free patch today that allows the full game to be played in VR.

Been a Wipeout fan since Wipeout 2097 when I was 8 years old and now I can actually be in the game. Insane. Everyone needs to try this.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Looks like I have a few months to snag Darkstalkers Resurrection before they no longer support PS3s, hunh?

Or will PSN store still be active for PS3 games/netplay?

Lex

Administrator
I just played Wipeout in VR as a taster (I'll have more time after work tomorrow night) and it's one of the most jaw dropping experiences I've ever had playing video games - they released a free patch today that allows the full game to be played in VR.

Been a Wipeout fan since Wipeout 2097 when I was 8 years old and now I can actually be in the game. Insane. Everyone needs to try this.

do not lock the camera to pilot then do continuous barrel rolls on an A+ challenge track (the game warns you about certain tracks and certain settings but it's amazing)

giphy.gif

Being able to look up the vertical climbs and spot the boost pads is an absolute game changer though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Has it already been five years? o_O

Anyway they just refreshed the thing for 4k, I think it'll be good for a while yet. No major developments in hardware anyway afaik. Games / franchises also take at least three years to build, I'd like to imagine sony would like at least three generations of games like that to have been made first.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
The PS4 Pro was a year and a half ago. Man time flies, it doesn't feel that long since I got my original PS4.

Lex

Administrator
The devkit specs were released in a "professionals-only" publication at some point last week, so there's info out there. I don't see them announcing it at this E3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting info out early next year.

PS4 still has some major legs at this point though. I'm not fussed in any direction tbh, the next console is likely going to be the smallest graphical leap we've seen since the beginning of console generations altogether, and I'm talking about base PS4 rather than the pro. Realistically how much further can they go?

The next "gen" is all going to be about platforms as a service rather than raw hardware power in a box IMO. Let's all cross our fingers that Playstation don't get a big head and blunder like they did with the PS3 launch after smashing the competition with PS2. They're winning this gen by a landslide so they can afford to be annoyingly cocky.

IMO all they have to do to start the next gen in a winning position is announce a box more powerful than PS4 with the BC that they've been avoiding since the start of this gen to re-sell games. I think whatever they do it'll handle all titles within the PS4 ecosystem regardless, they've not messing with that ecosystem any time soon.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah I mean they can add more and more expensive graphics operations to the mix - shaders, ray tracing, etc - as hardware capability increases but I don't think it'll be as big a leap as it was during the PS1/2 era. PS3/4 were both more evolutions of the leaps that were made before that, and PS4 Pro is more about rendering at 4K than anything - which I still don't know if anyone thinks it makes a difference.

wrt compatibility, I kinda hope they don't announce a PS5, not unless it's got backwards compatibility. Having older games and extra consoles is a pain. Giving in to BS like HD remakes just hurts.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-release-year-may-be-2021-hints-playstations-ceo-john-kodera

Figured this would an appropriate thread to share this in. Just a report on theis years Sony’s Investor Relations Day. A lot of people are figuring the PS5 is likely to release in 2020-2021 based on John Kodera's comments.

PS4 has been around for 4-5 years already and every seven years or more or less they release a new generation. I'm not surprised that 2020-21's the most likely year to see it happen.

Still got another 2-3 years left before PS4 support ends. Though based on the news of FFVII Remake lately, it's the cycle of FF Versus XIII/FFXV development all over again(that game was transfered from PS3 like it was supposed to be on towards PS4, and it'll happen again with the Remake).

At least KH3 will be on PS4 this year(or next year if they end up delaying it, but still in that PS4 cycle).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Agreed. I don't know why so many people are so eager to have everything move to the next $400 device. Especially since nowadays the improvements are so incremental.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah I'm inclined to agree tbf. Another major factor is (IMO) that games take longer to make ('member when we got 1 60 hour plus FF game a year?), and another one is that replay value is a lot higher thanks to online play and the like.

I feel like it's taken until Horizon came out that the PS4 games were finally able to stand on their own. I'm probably wrong, but it feels like the games before that (and the new GoW, etc) were more PS3 ports and the like.

It took years for people to figure out the PS2 (culminating in MGS 3) and the PS3 (with its er, interesting hardware; GTA V is probably the peak of its performance); the PS4 is easier to figure out because it's simply PC hardware, but even there it took a while to tweak all the knobs.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I'm all for a longer life cycle and think people should remember the PS2 and 3 end of life cycle was several years as well. Some of the best PS2 games came out when the PS3 was already released etc.

Now with that said I really hope the following portion doesn't come off as PC Master race etc. but I really don't agree with stuff like this

Especially since nowadays the improvements are so incremental.

I don't think the upper end is that incremental at all especially in regards to performance. We have to remember the PS4 hardware was outdated even before it was released and while yes we do get pretty games the devs are pulling a lot of tricks out of their ass to even make sure they run at 30fps. And even then...

Were talking bad FOV's , sacrificing FPS for shinier textures, Megatexture shenanigans, awesomely bad shadow and lighting (comparatively to PC ports).

There are still vast improvements to be made in the shiny department but with even that aside I really want to get back to the 30fps part I mentioned earlier.

It's absolutely wrong that the "3D" generation of consoles repeatedly forego 60+ FPS especially after the point where they can actually achieve it if they dumb other features. Especially when we came off the tail end of every game ever prior to the N64 being 60fps.

And that's assuming there are games that run stable 30. There are PLENTY of games this generation that struggle to maintain 30 frames per second even games that were touted as "highly optimized".
And again not to wax poetic about PC Master race but settling for 30 really sucks. Heck my eyeballs are used to 144fps now for petes sake, and have been for years now.

It's just one of those things where you don't know till you know/get used to it but having more frames really is a better and smoother experience. And that's just considering the aesthetic nature of it, we could talk about input lag, dropped/buffered inputs and all the other shenanigans that come with low and bad frame rate in games.

I'm still hopeful this generation lasts a bit longer. I really enjoy it and don't want to shell out for a new console soon. But there is certainly at on of room for improvement here that the current hardware doesn't come close to achieving.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
tbh my complain has nothing to do with technical advancements or lack there of and all to do with being a cheap motherfucker who wants to spend money on more games rather than a new console

Top Bottom