PlayStation 4

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment about these details, citing the company's policy not to comment on "rumors or speculation."

WHAT'S IN A NAME

Orbis. Say it out loud. Sounds a little like the word "four", doesn't it? Only it doesn't make the next PlayStation sound like a bad horror movie sequel.

It's also a name loaded with meaning. The word "Orbis" itself, from Latin, means circle, or ring, or even orbit. Not terribly helpful. Combine it with the name of Sony's new handheld system, though, and you have the common term Orbis Vita (or, in strict Latin, Orbis Vitae). Which means "The circle of life". Could the Vita be playing a very important role in the development and use of the next PlayStation home console? Maybe!

Source

Nothing to get excited about, but I'm just a bit surprised they're planning to release a new console so soon if their source is correct.

Some sketches of a new PS Eye device were leaked as well.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
so much of this bullshit floating around

believe nothing, wait for e3 folks.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I doubt there will be a new Playstation in 2013. However, we were talking about this last night on IRC, and I was saying that I hope it does come out soon, because it will facilitate a PS3 price drop, meaning I will finally be able to get one!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Is it just me or does "Orbis" seem like yet another iteration of the same code name/rumored name that every new system gets? 360, Revolution, Orbis?

360 was real, but still.

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
Eh, not excited. But honestly I was surprised they didn't released a successor for PS3. Its been almost ten years if I'm correct (I don't even remember I buy them late anyway). But bleh. I'll just wait for E3 like Terry said.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
I doubt there will be a new Playstation in 2013. However, we were talking about this last night on IRC, and I was saying that I hope it does come out soon, because it will facilitate a PS3 price drop, meaning I will finally be able to get one!

Yes, last night in the IRC we were discussing it because I found this "article".http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...orbis/?cmpid=sn-110418-facebook-28-fbfantrack
talking about the features it might have and honestly to me it sounds like it it isn't worth.

Apparently, It wouldn't be backwards compatible with ps3 titles and wouldn't be able to play used games? If the ps4 ever does come out then I'll only buy if they ever do a ff7 remake.Which will probably be never happen :P. And the ps4 sounds like it would be really expensive, more than the ps3 was when it first came out.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
All I wants to know is if the next PS is going to make me do pointless wanky updates all the fucking time :@

Lex

Administrator
When they do release a new console, I'll probably do what I did with the PS3 and wait till it's about halfway through it's cycle. That way, you've got a ton of already released games to choose from, and you can get the cheaper; less likely to break slim option. And we know it'll be huge and way overpriced when it first comes out.

I love my PS3 Slim. I actually love it. It'll take a good few more years before I want something better.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
yeah it's definitely better to wait on the consoles. The only reason I got my PS3 right away was because I broke my PS2 (RIP). Hopefully they'll have a deal or something further into its release. Or sometimes they have deals which include games or an additional controller or something.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
waits for the $800+ launch price 。◕‿◕。

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Sony's pissing me off these days. It is rumored that yes, the next-gen console will be backwards-incompatible and I do love being able to play old games from time to time so this is irritating. Also, while not being entirely unable to play pre-owned games it does prevent you from getting the full experience out of them unless you pay 'em a fee. You're wankers, Sony, pure wankers.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
We got through 1 PSone, 2 PS2's but the PS2 slim still works and we're on our second PS3.

The Wii still works as does the N64 and we've still got the same SNES we bought in 1993. I think we've even got a working Megadrive somewhere and I only got rid of my old original Gameboy because the screen got scratched to fuck (my fault)

Yep, they don't make 'em like they used to!

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That seems like poor business sense.

I admit I get annoyed when people rage over things like this because it just doesn't seem like a huge world problem.

However, people can't afford to only play new games, therefore, I predict sales will drop for them simply because of shear economics.

However, I do have to question this. There were rumors of PS3's not allowing used games back in the day, and Sony decided against that.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I believe Sony's reasoning is that since Mircosoft will be doing this same tactic they should follow suit.

As you can imagine the CEO of Gamestop isn't very happy about this.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
My PSX, Slim PS2, and PS3 have never died on me, although my PS2's FINALLY getting a little less than perfect when playing DVDs.

Also, Backwards compatibility is something that I like to think that I care about, but don't think I actually do. :\ And the "no used games" is kinda shit, but coming from the perspective of a game developer, I can see them being very supportive of the idea, because it means that less people are profiting on reselling their content without giving them anything, but at the same time, it makes mutual, local gaming all but impossible - i.e. bringing a game to a friend's house, unless it somehow unlocks it specific to your PSN account or something crazy. Either way, at this point it's all just rumory rumors, so i'll wait until something's actually officially mentioned before getting all up ins about what they are/aren't doing.

X :neo:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I think it's going to cause a drop in sales for both Sony and Microsoft. People just won't have the money, so why invest? The economy hasn't recovered 100% yet. I know if the next Sony console doesn't allow me to play used games I probably won't get it unless I have a MUCH better job by that time.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
(Well, games will still price drop after time. It might just start happening faster if there's no used games market, and they have to adjust to what people can really afford).

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That will have to be a very fast drop, then.

I'm trying to convince a guy I know to play Journey but he claims $15 is too expensive for him right now. I'm sure he's not the only on in that boat.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yeah, I know that feeling, but I think some people also view physical and downloadable content differently because of the possibility of reselling. Either way, I still think that the merit of a game should speak for itself in making you want to keep it. I also think that Cloud-based gaming services are probably going to attempt to replace things like Gamefly and used gaming services by offering a different model. Microsoft is pushing cloud-based content pretty hard, and I'd be really surprised if Sony isn't thinking of it in some capacity, what with PS+ already utilizing Cloud-based save features. If they're willing to construct an equally affordable and reasonable alternative model, it's something that I won't mind at all, as it'll probably become more like what iTunes is to music content, or at least that's my idealistic viewpoint on what it seems like both companies are probably contemplating. (Wait, how did I get roped into discussing all these things I supposedly wasn't going to?) XD

Top Bottom