Playstation 5

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Bloomberg: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

Summary from Gematsu about the article.
  • The Last of Us remake for PS5 in development at Naughty Dog with support of Sony's VASG.
  • In development since 2018.
  • Before TLOU remake, 2007's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune remake was planned but was deemed too expensive.
  • Bend Studio tried pitching a Days Gone sequel to Sony but was rejected due to Days Gone mixed reception and long development time.
  • Instead Bend Studio was assign to help Naughty Dog with a multiplayer game while a second studio was tasked with designing a new Uncharted game with supervision of Naughty Dog.
  • Top staff members fearing they get absorbed into Naughty Dog asked to to be taken off the project.
  • It's unknown if the Uncharted game is still in develpment.
---------
Another take away from the Bloomberg article is that Sony will focus more on BIG teams with BIG games, more blockbusters.

All of which is sad, bye to PS1 and PS2 era where Sony would release non-blockbusters and AAA, both models can co-exist in harmony like they did in past generations, with less diversity all of us lose.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
in development since 2018!! can't you play the remaster on the ps5 anyway!! it still looks good!! fuck off!!

pointless, unnecessary. fire all the people making these decisions. it's not that prick who said old games look like shit and no one wants to play them, is it. throw ants in his face.

i thought an issue with the ps5, if you can get one, was that there weren't a lot of must-have games for it that weren't just ps4 titles. the only ones i was excited about were demon souls and dmc5 (a remake of a ps3 game and an upgraded port of a ps4 game), and now the port of ff7r

honestly, spend that money you'd be throwing away on a remake of tlou1 and put that towards making sure people can. you know.

actually purchase the console with ease

Fangu

Great Old One
Okay I thought I'd just add here why it's so fecking hard to get a PS5 in Norway:

Due to Covid, shops in Norway decided that to avoid queues and large crowds, all PS5 purchases is to be made online. (Which is pretty much what effectively happened anyway, since all non essential shops are closed in parts of the country atm.) So what happened is people wrote scripts that checks the online shops up to 20 times per second for PS5's, and if any found, purchases as many as the online shop would allow. Then they of course go to our equivalent of Craigslist and sell the thing for 150 - 200% of the regular price.

Any attempt from the shops' side to stop the mass purchasing, the script people are able to find workarounds for. The only thing they've found that works somewhat is the shop will post PS5's for an insane amount of money, then you can sign up for a "lottery" where if you win, you get a code that lets you buy the PS5 "discounted" (= regular price.) (Who knows when they'll crack that one too, anyway.)

I guess I could look into signing up for something like that, just haven't been arsed yet. I was just put off by all of it.

Edit: What also happens ofc is that people who aren't 'script people' who have been lucky enough to purchase a PS5 are tempted by the quick cash and list it for 150% the price. I just checked finn.no/torget for "Playstation 5" - there are over 900 listings and the average price is around NOK 8000. Lovely.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
This is the future of console releases.

At some point Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and electronic retailers are going to have to require paid/approved customer accounts which are limited to 1 purchase transaction at a time in order to properly throttle supply amidst demand.

Between scalpers, semi-conductor shortages, and shrinking supply chains, consoles have truly become a scarcity. The problem is that businesses and the game corporations actually sorta like the hype generating scarcity which makes stockholders feel at ease since profits aren't being wasted on product sitting on shelves. Immediate profits are being generated thanks to stock always getting purchased as soon as it hits market.

Really can't imagine the horrors of the PS6 and Nintendo Whatever-The-Fuck Wars of the Distant Future. You might get murdered if you're caught with a release date console in the open.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm not too worried about it. Being horribly depressed, the scarcity is giving me something to look forward to. Once I have one, the emptiness will probably return.

Jpu6IOw.jpg

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
i tell myself that this is a good thing, because there will probably be an updated model later on and i can just get that first

but what if they discontinued the one with the disc drive instead oh no

Spoiler: The updated PS5 only plays PS5 games digitally with no disc drive attached and will self destruct 30 days after the announcement of the PS6. :monster:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
What is the main appeal in having a PS5 now? There's only a handful of games that are exclusive to it at the moment, unless it's in preparation for Intergrade and such.

Is the enhanced PS4 game experience part of the appeal? I plan on getting it eventually, but maybe not for another year.
Buying the controller alone is totally worth it though, it's the one of the best I own and works natively on PC

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You get it now before Sony decides to remove backwards compatibility.

They did that with PS3. Don't think Sony won't do it again. The backwards compatibility is only included to boost initial sales up and once Sony feels comfortable about next gen being the current gen, they'll strip that feature to save on production costs.

If you want to have a fully featured console that keeps your PS4 library relevant, you get it now before these models end up doubling in price.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
What is the main appeal in having a PS5 now? There's only a handful of games that are exclusive to it at the moment, unless it's in preparation for Intergrade and such.

Is the enhanced PS4 game experience part of the appeal? I plan on getting it eventually, but maybe not for another year.
Buying the controller alone is totally worth it though, it's the one of the best I own and works natively on PC

big lady :(

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think they'll remove PS4 BC on the PS5. It was implemented very differently at the system level than with PS3 where it was emulation and required some of the PS2 hardware and such (which is where the cost-saving part comes in).

They'll just stop making disc drives for it.

One day Sony will only sell the digital versions of the PS5, citing production costs and efforts to lower the initial price for consumers.

They'll do it shamelessly and happily. Between Covid-19 and the acceleration of online and digital purchases by consumers, they're gonna strike and make the push to digital. They've wanted to for a long time.

Top Bottom